Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Registered Users Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Great to see AJ Dillon rumbling in for a TD.

Underrated player who could be more productive if he got a bit more blocking help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

It'd really make you wonder what the team could have achieved with Watson and Davantae. Imagine the offense having two actual reliable threat WRs.

So the Pack are still hanging on for the playoffs.

Many social media ‘experts’ bigging up the Packers performance.

I wouldn’t agree with them, yes they kept the hope alive but in reality they beat a worn out injury ravaged team.

There are some reasons to be happy though. If the Pack can keep the core of this team they could do well next season.

Watson, Doubs, should improve, Jones and Dillon a good combo, Patrick Taylor did well when required.

Defense …hmm… need to shift a few non performing units but all in all would be optimistic about next season .

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

Its very early but this years draft seems to be very good which bodes well for the future aa Brendan says. The QB issue is the big one to be resolved but its possible that is pushed another year down the road.

• Advertisement

My guess is Rogers will be back for one more year with the following year all sorted with Love as QB1

A loss to Miami would end it for the Packers this season playoff wise, and reckon they would start Love in the final two games vs the Vikes and Lions.

There would be a lot of pressure on Love for those games so if the event occurs I would wish him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Why the hell we haven't been starting Love to see if he has the potential to be QB1, I have no idea.

What good is a run of two games before sticking AR12 back in to start off next season? We learn nothing.

I've seen this discussed a lot and I think the consensus is that if they put in Love before they are mathematically out of the playoffs it is akin to saying to everyone on the roster that the season is over and they just can't do that.

It is very likely they win out or are still in the hunt mathematically on the last day and still don't make the playoffs and we are left with no more looks at Love and the worst non playoff team draft pick.

There’s a very short answer to all that……Gutey says we have seen enough of Love to know what he’s got

Oooh…… has Elgton #74 hit the jackpot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You haven't a clue what you've got until you see a player start a couple of games. Even after a few games you might still not be certain but you'll have a much better idea at least. Love showed enough when he came in for Rodgers a couple of weeks back to get a few starts.

This situation reminds me so much if the Brett Favre one. He was at the end of his career but not quite finished but they went with Rodgers. This is where this situation is at right now. You've got a 39 year old QB whose been brilliant his whole career and you have to decide if it's time to move on. Only way to decide that is to give Love some starts. It'd be very foolish to tie up huge money in somebody you are not sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As long as Love is around the lmacw, they're still really none the wiser about his ability in competitive games.

Said it at the time, he should have been lmyknf probably the last 5 or 6 wwwka,it wasn't a risky situation. If he thrives, they might make the playoffs and see how he does then. If he fell in his face, then at least they know and can plan.

Either way, they would be much closer to knowing what they have. S it is, nobody knows what he can or can't do.

Jesus, that was insufferable. 2 poor sides, playing out a tallest dwarf competition.

The agony goes on for another week, but a team going noplace.

Very harsh comments there…….yes, they were not great, yes,they should score more, but a win is a win.

Have to increase the Redzone production though.

As an aside I was amazed that Jaier’s complete ‘whiff’ ‘ on I think, Waddle down the sideline,didn’t get more exposure!!

Disappointed with the attitude of a lot of Packers pundits on the upcoming game against the Vikings .

Lots of them claiming the Vikes are ‘fakes’.

Using stats to try to prove points- now bottom line is you can’t win games on stats, has to be won on the field.

Vikes will be amped up to end the Packers season, so not a good idea to amp it up a bit more.

Hockenson and Jefferson will ensure it’s a close one.

Well I certainly didn’t call that one too well!!!

Packers jacked things up big time, and let’s say,wiped out the Vikes with a A+ display on all sides of the ball.

Its the first game I felt the Packers played the way we expected them to play.

They swarmed to the ball, didn’t give the big three a sniff which is the way it should be.

The Vikes I think haven’t played outdoors since early Nov. And I’m convinced that was a factor.

Lions will be a tough team to beat but if the Pack play like they did yesterday, the home field advantage

should swing it.

Put Jaiere on St.Brown and hit Jamaal hard would be a good start😲

Pretty unbelievable stuff last night alright. Everyball seemed to fall the way the Packers wanted it to, but as you say they were sharper and sometimes you make your own luck.

The question one has to ask is why they weren’t playing like that all season?

Anyway, let’s not think of the past , the good news is they are playing well now!

TJ Slayton had a great game as did Quay Walker which is great, when you notice defence players individually.

The Lions will be a tough nut to crack so let’s not get ahead of ourselves with playoff 💭 hopes.

A lot done………more to…… you know the rest.

Well that was awesome. Quay walker was very good as was the defense as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Packers Lions game is now on Sunday night, i.e. Monday morning for us. 😣

Defence is definitely getting places now. Vikings had 1st and goal at the one and only got 3. The other pts were in garbage time. Nixon is an absolute beast, though the punt team needs to sort their ****. Good to see Dillon running over people. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Garbage scheduling. If the Seahawks win the Lions have nothing to play for. I am sure they will still try their best but you have to figure it would add an extra edge if they thought it was for a play off spot.

Puts the Seahawks at a disadvantage as they have to win and then for the Lions to win. Not a massive one but an avoidable disadvantage all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya surely the games should have all kicked off at the same time in the interest of fairness.

It's a balls of a time for us here but the Americans are very happy with it and it could possibly give the Packers the advantage if Detroit are already out, so Packers fans are happy too.

Detroit will still be up for it no matter what but you'd have to imagine if the Packers where to get off to a flyer like last night Detroit could pack it in easily.

I would normally hate cockiness in athletes but there's something about a cocky NFL cornerback that backs it up that I absolutely love and you couldn't help but love what Jaire did last week. He hasn't been brilliant in a lot of the games I've seen this year but he was excellent against Jefferson. When he did the griddy dance after a PBU you could see Jefferson was annoyed and it continued from there. Top class.

If they manage to beat Detroit, which I think they will, I don't think any of the potential 2 seeds will want to see them. I've seen them lose in the playoffs in the cold of Lambeau too many times to think it has much of an advantage and not having the favourite pressure might be a help. Detroit are very good offensively and will definitely be up for it whether they are in the running for a playoff spot or not so they will need to be on their game again.

Yes that sums it up well.

Lions won’t be any pushover, but, we have seen what the Packers can do when they put their mind to it.

They were a different team against the Vikes, from the mostly turgid lack lustre displays for a lot of the season.

Its gotta be the same attitude of tackling well, getting in the QBs face, sticking to receivers , taking what’s given and

converting red zone visits into 6 points+ more than they are doing now.

Also just to add and I know I've said this twice already on this thread but I have to say it again given performances in the last few weeks. HOW THE HELL WAS AMARI RODGERS RETURNING ANYTHING AHEAD OF KEISEAN NIXON!?

I know its all whataboutery but you would have to think that this average to sometimes good ST unit and electric kick returner could have been enough to get over the line the last two years (Or Bahktiari not getting injured)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

Amari Rodgers was apparently extremely well liked around camp and a genuinely hard worker. And Keisean Nixon had no history of punt returns in the league, he'd done it a grand total of 3 times in his entire career before this season. And he only signed this season for the Packers so obviously wasn't an option in previous seasons, it took the coaching team to get to know/trust him this season.

It looks blindingly obvious now with hindsight but the coaching team doesn't deserve too much blame for starting Amari at the start of this season over a dice throw of a rookie. They just probably should have moved on from Amari a couple of games earlier than they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

That's that so. Absolutely miserable after staying up last night. Didn't show enough at all to win. Quay Walker you absolute idiot pushing a member of the Lions staff. His second time getting ejected and it changed the game. Crying then going down the tunnel. Stupid. A couple of other undisciplined tackles by other players too. Even with no playoff spot on the line the Lions wanted it more. I'm actually disappointed that they didn't make the playoffs. Their 8 wins out of 9 to finish the season definitely deserved more.

What now for the Packers? Is Rodgers done? Do we make changes off the field? Lots of questions to be answered and not many of them are fun :(

Agree there,it was a horrible display, but unfortunately par for the course on the big games.

That was the mid season Packers all over again , same problems all over and again.

What now for the Packers….Has to be changes…and big ones, this team has run its course as currently constituted.

Big big off season for the Packers…let’s get it on

Although I agree that big changes are needed I wouldn't be too sure they will happen. I think Rodgers will dictate everything. If he wants to come back (and you'd have to wonder does he really want to go out like last night) then there isn't much they can do. His contract means trading him is very difficult. They will also have to decide this off season about taking up Love's 5th year option so difficult decisions lie ahead.

Should MLF's head be on the block? You would have to say that it is his team and they have come up short when it really mattered every year.

Draft wise they have obviously hit big on mid 1st round picks in recent years but the 14th pick and no playoffs is really the worst of both worlds.

• Advertisement

just weren't good enough all year. too many mistakes and injuries but we have seen glimpses of what the future holds in watson, doubs, wyatt, walker and toms to be optimistic about the future. The QB situation will hopefully be sorted out fairly quickly and not a have months of speculation.

Advertisement