Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Jordan Love taking a reduced value 5th year option effectively with his extension. There is some room to do slightly better than the original 5yh year option but he loses 7 million guaranteed.

On the one hand good bit of business for the GB team to get him cheaper. On the other the only way I see him taking that contract is if GB were going to refuse the 5th year option. I know there is risk with how little he has played but if he was impressing in practice you take that risk everyday of the week at the QB position.

GB not impressed is the only take away I can take from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

the revised contract reduces his cap hit in 2024, is the main reasoning for the new contract. Funnily enough, GB didn't resign Rodgers until he was 7 games into his final year, no fifth year option back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MickyBest

Yes, GB is not impressed. That's why such schemes arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Wonder why they got rid of Jack Coco as LS?

Didnt see or hear of him making any major blunders last year for the time he had?

Love looks very good so far in preseason. Looking forward to the season now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

I was a big Rodgers fan but am also very excited with how he looks and for this year in general. The offense is very young but in a weak NFC North/NFC in general there is hopefully a chance to make the playoffs which would be a great first year for Love.

Defence is very strong for next season , lot of first round picks in there.

I feel we will need them to allow the O to get back on the field.

Quite optimistic about the upcoming season.. 9/8 would be good!!!

NFC North isn’t as bad as some might think…we didn’t exactly tear them up last season.

I think the Lions will continue to improve but have lost a lot of touchdowns in the RBs that left. The Vikings have JJ so will always be a threat but seemed to be in firesale mode earlier in the summer. The Bears may have gotten their act together but history would suggest otherwise. It won't be terrible but is definitely winnable.

Agree re the defence but we thought that last year too so we'll see how they go. Either way it's exciting times.

Yes they didn’t fulfil promise on D last year but it would appear that a new ‘ethos’ for that group has arisen.

Joe Barry knows this year it’s produce or pack the bags.

Packers D had been referred to as ‘soft’ over last season and beyond.

Seems to have a feeling this year to bring out the ‘dog’ in them and the players seem to have bought in.

I feel that currently with a young Defense most playing well, that it will be much better this season and be

be the main driver of the campaign

As I said i would agree cautiously with you. On paper the defence looks absolutely stacked. If they get an improvement on stopping the run they can become dominant which would give the offence time to bed in. On O I am really looking forward to seeing a healthy Watson and Doubs together with Musgrave thrown into the mix amongst others.

• Advertisement

yes, and a few of the peripheral receivers are showing promise too like Malik Heath and Jarrod Reid.

Kicking could be our Achilles heel this season as Carlson can be a bit scattergun.

wouldn't like to have the job of paring down to 53!!

No it looks like there will be a bit of hoping they can sneak a few guys on to the practice squad. Seems like they will stick with Carlson no matter what so we'll have to get used to erattic kicking. Also looks like our own Dan Whelan isn't going to make the cut either but it's great that he's there.

Nice win by the Pack vs Seahawks.

showed promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This is an interesting one :

Green Bay Packers clear the way for Wicklow native Daniel Whelan to play in the NFL

First Irish born NFL player since the mid 80s if confirmed. Is he any good?

Seems to be handy enough…. Time will tell..most punters are only two bad games away from the boot out the door.

Wonder will he get the holding job too?

Boot out the door..... I see what you did there 😉

Not intentional….. he will be doing the holding job too.

As an aside I see his college is referred to as ‘U C Davis….. I presume they mean UCDublin.??

I doubt it. I must look it up, he moved to the US as a 13 year old so hasn't lived here in a while afaik, but I might dig a bit later.

Edit, no UC Aggies, lived in California since 13. Played XFL last year after being waived by the Saints.

he had a 64 yard punt against seattle. Gutekunst is hell bent on getting the roster younger.

injuries already an issue before the season starts!!!

Not a good start.

• Advertisement

Good start for the Jordan Love era for the Packers.

Not perfect, but impressive given the circumstances.

Defence need a course in how to tackle….arm tackles won’t stop anyone.

Some stupid needless penalties after the play ended.

Could kill a team in a close game.

looked good with allot to work on, the bears are terrible. Van Ness and Reed had nice moments, Doub's is going to be a stud. Love looks unflappable at times which is great to see. O-Line were very good, if you're not following 69 on twitter, start now, a serious troll. There seems to be great comraderies around love which is great to see.

Great start it must be said. Week 1 can be strange but the Packers have a favourable start to the season so hopefully can build up a bit of confidence and challenge for the playoffs. Mad how so many tipped the Bears to win. They looked absolutely awful.

Sad if that's the last we've seen of Rodgers. Hopefully the injury isn't as bad as they fear but it doesn't look great. The Jets loading up on everything except the O-Line isn't a great look. This will also add to the argument against artificial grass in NFL stadiums.

Being reported as a suspected torn Achilles tendon by Jets, to be confirmed.

Can't say I care really, Aaron was a truly great player, but he rang it in for last year or so in GB and was a negative around the team from what I could see and what I read. Not saying I wish he was hurt or anything if it reads that way, that's not the intention, but to me he's just an opposition player at this stage....

Dont like to see anyone get hurt at the same time, and that's a particularly bad injury.

I think that's a very harsh way of looking at one of the best players in Packers history. He wasn't great last season and it was time to move on but he was also injured for a lot of it and before that was MVP two years in a row. Also even if you don't care for him, the Packers needed him to play 65% of snaps to get the Jets 2024 first round pick so it will now likely remain a 2nd rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

So after week 1 of the season:

• Rodgers out for the season
    • While hes still costing millions against the salary cap
    • The Packers still got a decent haul of picks for him (even if one is a high second rounder now instead of a low first)
    • Love looked very good on Sunday

I'd say quite a lot of people in Green Bay's management team are feeling very vindicated right now.

Yea it's harsh, I won't deny that. It was time for Aaron to move on alright, and while he did, I thought he pi55ed around a bit over the last year or two, but that's just my opinion. As I say, I wouldn't wish that injury on him, or indeed anyone else, but like Aaron I've moved on.

I actually liked watching Love at the weekend.... Wasn't perfect by any means but I liked how he was shaping his throws and looked calm when heat came on, which in fairness wasn't very often from the bits I saw. Good start.

According to Bahktiari on twitter all the NFL stadiums to be used in the 2026 WC will have the artificial grass taken out if they have it and replaced with real grass (I presume this is a FIFA requirement) but this will only be temporary. You'd wonder how much keeping a grass field would cost compared to the cost of losing a franchise player especially a QB earning tens of millions a year when the artificial ones seem to yield a higher rate of injuries.

• Advertisement

That was a shocking finish. Blew a good lead against a very ordinary side. Completely lost their way.

Advertisement