Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Finlay has said he will not take a paycut but maybe a restructure would be possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Arawn wrote: »
    Finlay has said he will not take a paycut but maybe a restructure would be possible

Would a restructure mean a lower basic + higher bonus?

(I'd love to see a "dropped pass penalty", 200k deduction every time he drops a catchable ball!) :D

Would a restructure mean a lower basic + higher bonus?

(I'd love to see a "dropped pass penalty", 200k deduction every time he drops a catchable ball!) :D

I would assume so. It would mean that he has the conidence to play great. It's his final year don't forget

Aaron Rodgers QB GB
    8 Hrs Green Bay Packers 1 Comment
    Sources tell CBS Sports that Aaron Rodgers won't stage a holdout if he doesn't get a new contract this offseason.

Rodgers signed a six-year, $65 million contract in 2008 and his base salary in 2013 will be $9.25 million. Joe Flacco just got $120.6 million from the Ravens and will earn more an average of $20.1 million annually. Rodgers, arguably the best quarterback in the NFL, is clearly deserving of a new deal but he's not one to rock the boat. The Packers will find a way to get him compensated before his deal expires following the 2014 season

I honestly think AR is delighted and grateful to be a packer and will stay as long as we want him. He shows it how pissed he was against the 49rs for not signing him. I know I'm biased but for the most part most players seem to be quite happy to be on slightly less money and are quite happy to be at home in lambeau

As of half an hour ago
    A league source with knowledge of the situation expects the Packers to extend Aaron Rodgers' contract "soon," and that it will "set a new benchmark that will stand for several years."

"It is his time," the source said. The best quarterback in the league is signed through 2014, but the six-year, $65 million deal he inked in October 2008 is severely outdated. The former league and Super Bowl MVP is going to blow away the $52 million guaranteed Joe Flacco received whenever he re-ups. CBS Sports reported Tuesday Rodgers has no plans to hold out this summer if he doesn't get a new deal.

I'm expecting big years, big money but reasonable cap hit

• Advertisement

So with Woodson gone we have a kind of leader missing for our D....What would you think of 49rs Dashon Goldson?? He is a ballhawk which is what packers D seems to be all about and he can play against the run?? he's 28 and will probably be looking for 7-8 million annually

In other news it appears Finlays agent is a bit more realistic after doing some shopping of Finlay, he has comeout and said that he will be willing to talk to the packers about a pay cut. Imo I'd say he threw out some feelers to teams but his pay was laughed at.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So with Woodson gone we have a kind of leader missing for our D....What would you think of 49rs Dashon Goldson?? He is a ballhawk which is what packers D seems to be all about and he can play against the run?? he's 28 and will probably be looking for 7-8 million annually

In other news it appears Finlays agent is a bit more realistic after doing some shopping of Finlay, he has comeout and said that he will be willing to talk to the packers about a pay cut. Imo I'd say he threw out some feelers to teams but his pay was laughed at.

Goldson is a big hitter, always on the lookout for the big play. He gets quite a few penalties and fines and also blows coverage quite a bit especially when looking for an interception. A real boom or bust sort of player. He's done well the last 2 seasons in SF and I'm sure he'll do well again if he falls into a good situation.

His salary demands are excessive. He is looking for "Eric Weddle" type money. Which is about $8-9million per year. I personally doubt he gets that but if someone is willing to pay him that then good luck to him.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Goldson is a big hitter, always on the lookout for the big play. He gets quite a few penalties and fines and also blows coverage quite a bit especially when looking for an interception. A real boom or bust sort of player. He's done well the last 2 seasons in SF and I'm sure he'll do well again if he falls into a good situation.

His salary demands are excessive. He is looking for "Eric Weddle" type money. Which is about $8-9million per year. I personally doubt he gets that but if someone is willing to pay him that then good luck to him.

IF he can be got for cheaper. Would you take him in our D which is pretty boom or bust to be fair

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, he could work out, his weakness was always in coverage, but he has improved in this regard for the past 2 seasons. He gave up a few big plays in the championship game to Julio Jones but that more a mis-communication with Chris Culliver on what the coverage was.

One point about his salary expectations is that this draft class is very strong on safeties which is why I think he may struggle to get 8 or 9 million per year.

We have kept Jolly on contract after his prison release and have it slashed from 2.5 to 715k. He hasn't played a down in 3 years, I'm not holding much hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not much news yet on the free agency front but Finley reckons he won't take a cut:

"I'd have to walk for sure, meaning I couldn't take a pay cut. Maybe I'd restructure if it's a deal that I like and it makes sense, but I'm not the guy that's just going to sign anything and let anything pass."

The majority of Packers fans seem to be willing to see him go and I'd include myself in that.

Not much news yet on the free agency front but Finley reckons he won't take a cut:

"I'd have to walk for sure, meaning I couldn't take a pay cut. Maybe I'd restructure if it's a deal that I like and it makes sense, but I'm not the guy that's just going to sign anything and let anything pass."

The majority of Packers fans seem to be willing to see him go and I'd include myself in that.

Covered it a while back, his agent said he's at least meet with them about a cut after finlay came out and said that

We rolled the dice and lost on Crabtree, now a buc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jennings signs with divisional rival, Vikings.

A new era: no Driver, Jennings or Woodson.

Jennings will apparently wear #15 for the Vikes.

To be fair I think they over paid for him. I'm quite happy with our main 3 recievers this season and will be delighted that cobb will not be on special team returns

Yeah it would've been pretty hard to pay that for Jennings. Cobb, Jones and Nelson are a good receiving corps to have. Add another during the draft somewhere and we should be set.

AJ Hawk has taken a sizeable pay cut. 7m roughly. Considering he was getting paid way over the odds for little impact, it needed to be done. To be honest, I wouldn't have been that sorry to see him go and see us take a chance on another ILB on the market.

Also we got a compensatory 5th round pick in the draft.

he woulda been cut if he didn't take the cut imo

Ar's new contract extension is expected to be 100 m for 4 years, which would put him on more than flacco per year but not overall.(I actually didn't realise AR was 29 thought he was 27 or so)

Next up is Clay.

Ar's new contract extension is expected to be 100 m for 4 years

Forgive my ignorance of NFL contracts, but is that not pretty short? In that QBs like Favre and Roethlisberger have had 10 and 8 year deals, I see even Flacco has a 6 year deal. I think its safe to say that he is just about the best around, like, why not just ensure he remains at Lambeau as long as he can throw a ball.

Forgive my ignorance of NFL contracts, but is that not pretty short? In that QBs like Favre and Roethlisberger have had 10 and 8 year deals, I see even Flacco has a 6 year deal. I think its safe to say that he is just about the best around, like, why not just ensure he remains at Lambeau as long as he can throw a ball.

its a 4 year extension, keep him at gb till he' 35. it's not like soccer where its a new contract it gets added on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

If the Pack doesn't find a defense, nothing else will matter much anyhow

Jermichael Finley signed for next year. No paycut though. $8.25m next year according to Ian Rapoport.

With Crabtree gone this was the only thing that could happen

Matthews signed a 5 year extension yesterday worth 65m.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nfcnorth&id=55350&src=desktop

Judging on the details of it, looks a good deal for us and Clay. I'd imagine it'll be renegotiated down the line. Now, if only he could get a bit of help from Perry or the line at rushing the QB...

Rodgers contract will likely be tied up in the next week or so.

Steve McLendon, a nose tackle, from the Steelers came to the Packers for a visit, any info on him? Would be good to have a decent backup for Raji or someone pushing him along given his contract is due soon.

Also Finley is donating money to charity for every drop pass.. they could make millions! Seriously though, decent gesture and incentive seeing as its $500 per drop and per TD .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lads could you do one thing, get the Mods to change the title of your team thread from - Green Bay Packers 2011/12.

It's gonna be the 2013 season soon, so maybe it should be just titled - The Green Bay Packers thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Anyone know when the pre season dates will be announced? :pac:

Schedule released:

Sept. 8 at San Francisco 49ers, 4:25 p.m.
    Sept. 15 vs. Washington Redskins, 1:00 p.m.
    Sept. 22 at Cincinnati Bengals 1:00 p.m.

Bye Week

Oct. 6 vs. Detroit Lions 1:00 p.m.
    Oct. 13 at Baltimore Ravens, 1:00 p.m.
    Oct. 20 vs. Cleveland Browns, 4:25 p.m.
    Oct. 27 at Minnesota Vikings 8:30 p.m.
    Nov. 4 Chicago Bears (Mon), 8:40 p.m.
    Nov. 10 vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 1:00 p.m.
    Nov. 17 at New York Giants, 8:30 p.m.
    Nov. 24 vs. Minnesota Vikings, 1:00 p.m.
    Nov. 28 at Detroit Lions (Thurs), 12:30 p.m.
    Dec. 8 vs. Atlanta Falcons, 8:30 p.m.
    Dec. 15 at Dallas Cowboys, 4:25 p.m.
    Dec. 22 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers, 4:25 p.m.
    Dec. 29 at Chicago Bears, 1:00 p.m.

Bye week is very early this year. Fairly confident we can make the playoffs again despite our opponents having a 136-119-1 record last year. 6th toughest schedule based on last years records. Great to start off with a big game against the 49ers again, and a chance to get them back for last seasons opener.

Schedule released:

Sept. 8 at San Francisco 49ers, 4:25 p.m. Very Tough prob more realistic to say loss
    Sept. 15 vs. Washington Redskins, 1:00 p.m. Very Winnable
    Sept. 22 at Cincinnati Bengals 1:00 p.m. Win

Bye Week

Oct. 6 vs. Detroit Lions 1:00 p.m. Win
    Oct. 13 at Baltimore Ravens, 1:00 p.m. Win
    Oct. 20 vs. Cleveland Browns, 4:25 p.m. Demolition win
    Oct. 27 at Minnesota Vikings 8:30 p.m. Close win Win
    Nov. 4 Chicago Bears (Mon), 8:40 p.m. Win
    Nov. 10 vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 1:00 p.m. Even with Chip Kelly we'll win
    Nov. 17 at New York Giants, 8:30 p.m. ****ing hate the giants *****. Loss
    Nov. 24 vs. Minnesota Vikings, 1:00 p.m. win
    Nov. 28 at Detroit Lions (Thurs), 12:30 p.m. win
    Dec. 8 vs. Atlanta Falcons, 8:30 p.m. win
    Dec. 15 at Dallas Cowboys, 4:25 p.m. Oh december? Win
    Dec. 22 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers, 4:25 p.m. Win
    Dec. 29 at Chicago Bears, 1:00 p.m. Win

Would of much preferred the bye at like week 8. Anyway my opinion on how it goes once key players stay healthy for both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Steve McLendon, a nose tackle, from the Steelers came to the Packers for a visit, any info on him? Would be good to have a decent backup for Raji or someone pushing him along given his contract is due soon.

McLendon re-signed with the Steelers.

Anyone following the Best/Worst draft picks series on NFL.com? The Pack are up tomorrow. So who gets the best/worst for them? Mandarich, Rodgers?

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

That's a pretty tough schedule.

Advertisement