Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

As a packers fan you cannot go to bed during a packers bears game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Arawn wrote: »
    As a packers fan you cannot go to bed during a packers bears game

As a football fan tbh.

If I stay real quiet and still, the wife might fall into a deeper sleep which means another notch up on the tv sound...real quiet and still...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Well that was a bit of a depressing game to watch.

Rodgers going down was bad enough but for the defence to go back to it's old self after performing well so far this season was another kick in the stones. Our tackling and coverage was so poor at times that I was almost looking to see who was actually meant to be covering Marshall and Jeffrey. Shields and Hayward weren't able to get close to them when the ball put up for the two big WR's. That being said, it would help if we actually got McCown under pressure. He had the freedom of Lambeau Field last night and there was only 2-3 times either Jolly or Raji got to him. The reality is that we have up 27 points to a backup QB with only 6 mins difference in the time of possession over the course of the game. Matthews is badly needed back but again, we'll still be going around in circles if he's the only one getting to the QB when he returns. Last years first round pick Nick Perry has been plagued with injuries and this years first rounder Datone Jones has done little of note either (willing to give that time), and both were seen as part of the pass rushing remedy.

Perhaps we need a change of DC, and that's not a kneejerk reaction. It's been too inconsistent and we've struggled on defence for quite a while culminating in that performance in the last playoffs against the 49ers when we did some of the dumbest things on defence against Kaepernick and co.

Seneca Wallace needs to be replaced immediately. We need someone who can.. ya know.. throw a pass. And it'd be great for them to be able to see above the opposition defensive line. Flynn is the obvious choice once he clears waivers and at least he knows the schemes. The fact that it would probably the last chance saloon for him too might be enough to motivate him a bit more. The guys must be the luckiest man in the world.. gets paid millions for doing absolutely nothing and then feasibly could end up back at his original team as starter! He must have a horseshoe up his as. We can only hope that Rodgers isn't out for any length of time though although I'm worried when there's still no news on it.

On the positive side, Lacy continues to be a beast and Starks looks like he's liking the competition. There was a point yesterday when it looked like they were going to carry us through a dogfight but when you've a QB that's not up to standard, then the Bears are just going to look to stop the run every time. Our WR's caught everything that was catchable so it's not on them either.

That's what you'd call a typical 24 hours in the NFL. This time yesterday I was 100% confident of beating the Bears and going to 6-2 at the top of the division and very confident of going a long way this year. Now I'm just praying that AR is ok, and if not, then it's going to be a extremely hard slog to the playoffs with Flynn or whoever. The change in momentum is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It did look like Rodgers left shoulder took a hard impact when he went down last night. Any feedback yet on the injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Speculation on twitter is a small break in his collarbone that will mean he's going to miss games. Around 3 weeks is being suggested.

speculation is the break, but you'd imagine they would of had him in a sling last night if that were the case

Well that was a bit of a depressing game to watch.

Rodgers going down was bad enough but for the defence to go back to it's old self after performing well so far this season was another kick in the stones. Our tackling and coverage was so poor at times that I was almost looking to see who was actually meant to be covering Marshall and Jeffrey. Shields and Hayward weren't able to get close to them when the ball put up for the two big WR's. That being said, it would help if we actually got McCown under pressure. He had the freedom of Lambeau Field last night and there was only 2-3 times either Jolly or Raji got to him. The reality is that we have up 27 points to a backup QB with only 6 mins difference in the time of possession over the course of the game. Matthews is badly needed back but again, we'll still be going around in circles if he's the only one getting to the QB when he returns. Last years first round pick Nick Perry has been plagued with injuries and this years first rounder Datone Jones has done little of note either (willing to give that time), and both were seen as part of the pass rushing remedy.

Perhaps we need a change of DC, and that's not a kneejerk reaction. It's been too inconsistent and we've struggled on defence for quite a while culminating in that performance in the last playoffs against the 49ers when we did some of the dumbest things on defence against Kaepernick and co.

Seneca Wallace needs to be replaced immediately. We need someone who can.. ya know.. throw a pass. And it'd be great for them to be able to see above the opposition defensive line. Flynn is the obvious choice once he clears waivers and at least he knows the schemes. The fact that it would probably the last chance saloon for him too might be enough to motivate him a bit more. The guys must be the luckiest man in the world.. gets paid millions for doing absolutely nothing and then feasibly could end up back at his original team as starter! He must have a horseshoe up his as. We can only hope that Rodgers isn't out for any length of time though although I'm worried when there's still no news on it.

On the positive side, Lacy continues to be a beast and Starks looks like he's liking the competition. There was a point yesterday when it looked like they were going to carry us through a dogfight but when you've a QB that's not up to standard, then the Bears are just going to look to stop the run every time. Our WR's caught everything that was catchable so it's not on them either.

That's what you'd call a typical 24 hours in the NFL. This time yesterday I was 100% confident of beating the Bears and going to 6-2 at the top of the division and very confident of going a long way this year. Now I'm just praying that AR is ok, and if not, then it's going to be a extremely hard slog to the playoffs with Flynn or whoever. The change in momentum is nuts.

Very well said, I think I've been calling for capers head since early enough last season.

There was a point I didn't get the play calling at all last night on offence. LAcey and starks rammed the ball down the bears throats into the endzone. THen they fecking decide to throw it. I nearly broke the tv throwing ****e at it!

The problem is that AR is actually injured for any amount of time, there are literally no serviceable replacements left out there

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

speculation is the break, but you'd imagine they would of had him in a sling last night if that were the case

That's the standard practice alright for all shoulder, clavicle and scapula injuries. But if it's a micro fracture, he may have just not wanted to wear one when he went back out. Not ideal, but the medical team can't force him. On a positive note for you guys, it could have been a lot worse. The impact looked nasty and I was fearing a 6-8 week layoff.

That's the standard practice alright for all shoulder, clavicle and scapula injuries. But if it's a micro fracture, he may have just not wanted to wear one when he went back out. Not ideal, but the medical team can't force him. On a positive note for you guys, it could have been a lot worse. The impact looked nasty and I was fearing a 6-8 week layoff.

don't worry, losing AR is bad enough for a game, for 3 weeks it could proper **** our season .

Lang also likely to miss next week with concussion so the human turnstile newhouse is back

• Advertisement

All aboard the Lacy train. Trying to not get too pessimistic and take each game as it comes. Wallace (or anyone else we turn to) can surely only improve with each weeks work.

Eagles
    @Giants
    Vikings

All quite winnable without Rodgers. The key will be not falling behind early and having to relay solely on the passing game.

All aboard the Lacy train. Trying to not get too pessimistic and take each game as it comes. Wallace (or anyone else we turn to) can surely only improve with each weeks work.

Eagles
    @Giants
    Vikings

All quite winnable without Rodgers. The key will be not falling behind early and having to relay solely on the passing game.
    As i said on the other thread. AR has said it's a broken collar bone and hopes to heal quick. Bones don't heal cos you want them too and he's at that age where injuries stop healing quick. I'd give vince young a call, can throw the ball at an ok level and can scramble when needed

We didn't claim Flynn on waivers as we would of had to of guaranteed his min salary without checking his medical records. Expected to sign if he is healthy.

Matthews going to try and practice with a club this week.

Derrek sharrod was activated from pup today

Finalys season is offically over and has probably played his last down as a packer as we prob can't afford a competitive offer next year as he is a free agent. Barringtons season also over both on ir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Christ.... & things were going so well.

Rodgers out for 4-6 weeks according to sources. More likely 4 than 6.

Gonna be a tough few weeks. Hopefully we pick up Flynn as speculated.

It will all depend on flynss medical records tbh

Pity Randall Cobb wasn't fit, might see him running some plays out of the wildcat like here -

Had to laugh during the game, when they were saying what would GB do vs the bears if the back up got injured....eh Jordy Nelson played some qb in high school.

Nearly was wishing to see him in qb ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Actually depressed that we're halfway through the week without Flynn signed. It makes zero sense, the timing could not have been flukier on our part and "no time to prepare or not" Wallace's actual accuracy and presence on Monday/Tuesday was horrendous enough to cut him on alone for V Young even if Flynn had not somehow luckily come available at the perfect time.

I'm used to just giving in to "Ted Thompson's opinion is better than mine" at this point, but not on this. It just makes no sense to me not to get Flynn in on a vet minimum or close to it.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Actually depressed that we're halfway through the week without Flynn signed. It makes zero sense, the timing could not have been flukier on our part and "no time to prepare or not" Wallace's actual accuracy and presence on Monday/Tuesday was horrendous enough to cut him on alone for V Young even if Flynn had not somehow luckily come available at the perfect time.

I'm used to just giving in to "Ted Thompson's opinion is better than mine" at this point, but not on this. It just makes no sense to me not to get Flynn in on a vet minimum or close to it.
    they want to see how he is. Lets not forget this is a qb who gets elbow injuries after one game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

they want to see how he is. Lets not forget this is a qb who gets elbow injuries after one game
    I really don't care if it's Graham Harrell in QB-form after Monday. It's not Seneca Wallace at the end of the day. :p

I'm not so confident Flynn will give us a better chance to win. He's been away from the team for almost 2 years (in which time he's lost the starting job twice as well as being cut twice). The damage was done not getting a viable back up QB in during the offseason. We were then left to pick from the rejects of other teams.

Yes Wallace was poor on Monday night but you must remember with the stage he joined the team he's had minimal reps in practice. He can only improve. Hopefully we can build around the running game and get a few shots off play action to open up the passing game.

Lots of mumblings about Caper, in some of the forums I've been on the general reaction is almost "never mind the QB issues, what about Dom Capers".

Is he in trouble? Can't imagine Ted Thompson could ever be accused of knee jerk reactions, if anything he seems careful. And Dom Capers has had some good seasons at GB.

Lots of mumblings about Caper, in some of the forums I've been on the general reaction is almost "never mind the QB issues, what about Dom Capers".

Is he in trouble? Can't imagine Ted Thompson could ever be accused of knee jerk reactions, if anything he seems careful. And Dom Capers has had some good seasons at GB.

I was calling for his head nearly 2 seasons ago, the D has been woeful since the start of 2011 season. we depend way to much on clay and picks. nobody seems to tackle right, I'd say we give up the most yards after contact in the league

That's my take away from the game. You couldn't expect much more from Tolzien considering he was running plays he's more than likely never even practiced.

Capers should of been sacked after what happened in the playoffs last season. He's been hanging in there based on the defense generating turnovers through the past few season. Now when we need them most they've dried up. Not sure bringing in someone new at this stage can turn things around but I can't see him holding the position after this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

McCarty was not a happy camper in the post game interview, especially about the first cooper TD when the ball was floated up and none of the secondary attacked the ball. I hope that capers goes after this season, his being gash since the superbowl win. like the hail mary against the giants just before half time was the biggest joke of all time and should of got the bullet that time. its so frustrating as we do have good players on D but only get glimpses of what there are capable of doing. Bj raji should be up there with wilfork as premiere nose tackle in the league but he has one good game and you mightn't see him again for a couple of weeks and same goes for allot of the D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well it took a week longer than expected but...
    Packers are signing QB Matt Flynn.

Matt Flynn set to sign for the Packers. Seems with his continuing elbow issue it'll be to back up Tolzien, at least going into next weeks game.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,905 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

@adbrandt: Packers signing Matt Flynn, per @AdamSchefter. Flynn has made $14.5 million since his performance for Packers v. Lions on 1/1/12.

Not bad money in under two years.

• Advertisement

Yup, as reported - Flynn signed and Wallace placed on IR.

Still another couple weeks of watching games through the our hands though!

Advertisement