Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

posted in wacky thread but a former packer te believes finlays career could be over, With the utter silence I think he could be onto something. I really hope it isn't true, Finlay could of been a top TE if he could just stop the drops if even with another team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Arawn wrote: »
    posted in wacky thread but a former packer te believes finlays career could be over, With the utter silence I think he could be onto something. I really hope it isn't true, Finlay could of been a top TE if he could just stop the drops if even with another team

Massive disappointment if that's the case. To be honest, I was already resigned to not seeing him line out for the Packers again after he got injured. But to be finished in the league is a disaster given what he's capable of.

Massive disappointment if that's the case. To be honest, I was already resigned to not seeing him line out for the Packers again after he got injured. But to be finished in the league is a disaster given what he's capable of.

I agree, last i heard from him was he was determined to play again, but considering his son begged him not to play after the concussion, the spinal injury and money he has earned and he's not flash with the cash, can imagine he can retire atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

So no Brett Farve then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So no Brett Farve then?

Nah, we're set now with Tolzien and Flynn. We may as well trade Rodgers. :pac:

Tolzien will be our third different QB to start in consecutive weeks. He's only the Packers' fifth starting QB since week 3 of the 1992 season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well, we should have done it last Monday but it's at least a relief to have Flynn back. We don't know what his injury issues might or might not have done to him, but our offence is very similar to what he played very well with against the Patriots and Lions back in 2010-11. I'm convinced the timing of his being released by the Bills is a potential huge stroke of luck on our part - the Bears I think are going to continue to struggle through the season, while the Lions always have the ability to implode on themselves at any moment. Let Tolzien stick around as backup, and if we are up/down 17+ points with 5 minutes or so remaining in the game, stick him in there I guess. Still, we might be lucky enough that if Flynn works out, we could get him back on another 2-or-so year contract for 2014/15 not far off (or even on) the veteran minimum given how badly his career has gone since leaving GB. How awesome would that be as a solution to the backup QB situation?

In those two games Flynn played, James Jones had two big games (5-for-95yds, 1td vs Patriots, 6-for-89 vs Lions) so it's good he is back in time, Nelson didn't do much in the Pats game but had 9-for-162, 3tds vs the Lions... statistically that might be the best game of his career - good news since these two guys obviously know how to link with Flynn. Lang and Sitton mean we have the same guards as then (though the tackles and C spots are obviously different). Quarless played in the 2010 game getting two catches, but not 2011 because of that nasty injury he had. Kuhn also had 5-for-47, 1td through those two games.

Highlights of those two games here:
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121913/2010/REG15/packers@patriots#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012010108/2011/REG17/lions@packers#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Our next four games are @NYG... not too confident since they've been getting it back together, but I think Flynn gives us a 'viable underdog' shot if he can get right back in the swing of things (we're a 6pt underdog). Then hosting the Vikings, which there is no excuse for losing in my mind. After that we travel to Detroit which will be a HUGE game... my guess is Rodgers rushes himself back for it if it's a game to take the lead in the division.

Finlay electing to go under the knife for spinal fusion surgery, sounds like he wants to come back to the game once recovered. I think if you can, take the money while you're not paralyzed

Finlay electing to go under the knife for spinal fusion surgery, sounds like he wants to come back to the game once recovered. I think if you can, take the money while you're not paralyzed

If he is aiming to come back then, whilst admirable, he'd be an idiot to do so. I know there'll always be that question of 'what could have been' and it will be tough to take for the remainder of his days but there's a lot more to life than football.

Even if he does come back from surgery, who is willing to pay him good money after his contract ends with us next off-season? The majority of it would have to be incentive based and that could lead him to push himself to even more extremes.

Its all gone wrong!!

3 losses in a row.

If A-rod isnt back by the Lions game on thanksgiving I think the season is done.

If we don't beat vikings next week and bears or lions win, we could probably struggle to make playoffs, tbh might not be a bad thing as we could do with a slightly higher draft pick than we;ve been getting the last few years

• Advertisement

It's been...interesting.

They have looked so completely lost that one might wonder just how good is Mike McCarthy, and whether he has been weaker than perhaps many thought but this was covered by the presence of Favre and then Rodgers. Not rushing to judgement on him or saying he should be fired or anything, and the injuries also make judgement difficult, but it is not just a bad run but one where we've looked kinda at sea.

It's been...interesting.

They have looked so completely lost that one might wonder just how good is Mike McCarthy, and whether he has been weaker than perhaps many thought but this was covered by the presence of Favre and then Rodgers. Not rushing to judgement on him or saying he should be fired or anything, and the injuries also make judgement difficult, but it is not just a bad run but one where we've looked kinda at sea.

Well I don't think he's looked too bad tbh. Our D hasn't shown up (**** off Capers) but our O has been moving the chains, Tolzen threw of 339 yards yesterday, as a trird string qb who was on the practice squad that's pretty good going, yes he threw for 3 int's but only one of which was a bad throw

Well I don't think he's looked too bad tbh. Our D hasn't shown up (**** off Capers) but our O has been moving the chains, Tolzen threw of 339 yards yesterday, as a trird string qb who was on the practice squad that's pretty good going, yes he threw for 3 int's but only one of which was a bad throw

That's what I liked about McCarthy yesterday, he wasn't afraid to put his trust in his QB and say **** it, we could lose by 5 and just run it all day or we can try sling it and we'll keep their defence honest and we could have a chance. Tolzien played pretty well it must be said. That INT by JPP would've been batted down by he majority of DE's.

As Billy mentioned in the week thread, keep Lacy away from the middle of their defensive line and use stretch plays.

If we don't sack Capers then there's absolutely no point in going to the playoffs anyways. Imagine that secondary trying to stop Wilson or trying to tackle Lynch.

Also, might just be me but our defence seems to be full of undersized guys who can't tackle. Kind of a problem.

Not just you. Was actually laughing at one stage yesterday, 3 or 4 of our guys tried to stop 1 of theres and couldn get him to the ground, then the next play was a 1 on 1 and our guy had him wrapped pulling away and he was just standing there not even noticing

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Tramon Williams in fairness was decent last night. But good god our secondary seems to have no pace. The man coverage is horrendous. Tolzien was good last night which was encouraging and might be enough to get past Vikings.

The division is gonna go right up to the last day I think.

Also, I ****ing hate losing to the Giants. 3 or 4 times in a row now.

seiphil wrote: »
    Tramon Williams in fairness was decent last night. But good god our secondary seems to have no pace. The man coverage is horrendous. Tolzien was good last night which was encouraging and might be enough to get past Vikings.

The division is gonna go right up to the last day I think.

Also, I ****ing hate losing to the Giants. 3 or 4 times in a row now.

At least you don't have a giants fan in your house every ****ing time

At least you don't have a giants fan in your house every ****ing time

That would be the straw that breaks the camels back alrite.

Every ****ing time and i ****ing die a little bit each time.

His name escapes me but our 2011 1st round pick was active for his first ever game on sunday

Every ****ing time and i ****ing die a little bit each time.

His name escapes me but our 2011 1st round pick was active for his first ever game on sunday

Our last three first round picks are going to be busts IMO. OK, maybe not complete busts but they're not going to do what a first rounder is expected to do in terms of performance and being a certain starter. We seem to have more luck finding diamonds in the rough - although I guess that goes for every side.

Our last three first round picks are going to be busts IMO. OK, maybe not complete busts but they're not going to do what a first rounder is expected to do in terms of performance and being a certain starter. We seem to have more luck finding diamonds in the rough - although I guess that goes for every side.

To be fair to whats his face he has had two broken legs since joining

• Advertisement

To be fair to whats his face he has had two broken legs since joining

True. We could do with him being somewhere near what he was drafted to do now that he's back. But it's going to take time I guess.

It's depressing to think that a couple of weeks ago I was thinking of us as potential Superbowl contenders when all our injuries subsided.. only for us to pick up more and now leave us in a position where we're nearly best off missing out this year to get a decent pick in the draft because we've quite a few needs.

An aside, I'm surprised Jonathan Franklin hasn't got a fair crack since the Cinci game when he rushed for over 100 yards and a TD. He had an injury but he adds a different element to the power rushing of Lacy and Starks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

Flynn in. Defence is muck as usual

I'll be visiting my in-laws this Thursday in Milwaukee.

A Packers win against the Lions will make a long day pass/quicker!

Thankfully for us, the Lions are just as apt to making poor play-calls as GB are.
    Has Flynn earned a chance to start if A-Rod is not quite ready?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Has Flynn earned a chance to start if A-Rod is not quite ready?
    Does Green Bay wear Green?

Flynn did an excellent job today has to be said, hilight for me was batting down a possible interception from a blocked throw. Really showed he was switched on

Flynn did an excellent job today has to be said, hilight for me was batting down a possible interception from a blocked throw. Really showed he was switched on

I think he showed a lot of confidence he gets from working in the system we have. It's almost like the pressure was off him because he knows he isn't going to be number one at GB compared with having to win the job at Seattle or be prepared to try carry a side at the Raiders. His demeanor is completely different, ya can almost see him smiling coming into the Packers backfield.

I'll expand on it further tomorrow but I was discussing with a mate how many positions need to be upgraded in the offseason for us to rank with the Seattles and Broncos of the game at the minute. Granted we've a lot to come back from injury yet. But there's a lot of heads on the chopping block on defense and a lot of players who are kidding themselves with the contracts they're going to be looking for.

Oh and somewhere tonight, I hope Mr. Capers is clearing his office.

Really thought we were gonna get a touchdown in overtime. Great comeback from Flynn and would be happy enough if he was to start against the Lions.

That D needs a kick up the arse. Capers needs to explain himself. Players are STILL not wrapping in tackles. They also seem off the pace every time the ball is thrown to the receiver. Really Frustrating

Rodgers back doing individual practice.

Doubt we will see him this week but hopefully next week.

Hope we don't this week, want to see him back healthy and not risk a worse break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lads any info on TE D.J. Williams? We signed him today because we are down to only 1 fit TE in Gronk. I did a quick check and saw he played two seasons in GB. So any opinions on him during his time with you guys?

Advertisement