Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Arawn wrote: »
    I'm in favour of sitting AR till next season to be honest

Same as. Nothing to be gained bar him risking serious injury at this stage.

Plus Bakhtiari didn't practice all week so our o-line will probably have Newhouse at tackle on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Latest pick of Newhouse from training

Turnstile.alewife.agr.jpg

SantryRed wrote: »
    Can still win this division. Have you seen how bad the Lions are? They'll drop two of @ Eagles, Ravens, Giants and @ Vikings.

Looks like you were right after all Santry!

We're still in with a shout after an improved performance against the Falcons. Only a half a game behind with Rodgers probably back this week coming against the Cowboys. With Rodgers, anything is possible.

Taking it one week at a time, I'd give us every chance against the Cowboys given their pass defence is struggling as bad as ours is this season - worst in the league. Steelers at home followed by the Bears.. I'd fancy us to win out with AR there.

Looking further down the line, Cobb looks to be itching to get back and will know after tomorrow if he will be cleared to play at any stage of the rest of the season.

Looks like you were right after all Santry!

We're still in with a shout after an improved performance against the Falcons. Only a half a game behind with Rodgers probably back this week coming against the Cowboys. With Rodgers, anything is possible.

Taking it one week at a time, I'd give us every chance against the Cowboys given their pass defence is struggling as bad as ours is this season - worst in the league. Steelers at home followed by the Bears.. I'd fancy us to win out with AR there.

Looking further down the line, Cobb looks to be itching to get back and will know after tomorrow if he will be cleared to play at any stage of the rest of the season.

The difference is the cowboys D has being on so much cos of their number 1 qb. Our D is sucking partly due to being on most of the time due to our qb atm.

With AR our posessions are scores not punts so we hold the ball longer, wont have boxes cramped etc. With rodgers back we'll go undefeated for the reast of the regular season

Well this isn't what I wanted to read today -
    Now we know why the Green Bay Packers are preparing backup quarterback Matt Flynn to start again on Sunday.

Aaron Rodgers experienced more pain than he expected when he returned to practice last week. That, combined with a scan that did not show enough healing in his broken collarbone, was enough to hold Rodgers out again last Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons.

Unless both things change this week, Rodgers won't play in Sunday's game at the Dallas Cowboys.

"We would need a different results and different responses to be able to get on the field this week," Rodgers said Tuesday on his ESPN 540 Milwaukee radio show.

Rodgers said he lifted weights under the watch of the strength and conditioning coaches on Tuesday and plans to practice again Wednesday.

Last week, Rodgers went through individual drills but said he knew shortly after Wednesday's practice that he would be unlikely to play against the Falcons. Rodgers said he was able to throw the ball without any discomfort, but things changed when he had to move around during full-speed drill work. Tasks such as taking a snap and handing off with his left arm, which is the side of the collarbone that was fractured, were painful.

"I shouldn't be having pain doing some of the simple movements," Rodgers said.

Rodgers said he curtailed some of his practice activities after Wednesday's workout did not go as well as he had hoped.

"That was kind of my clue that I'm obviously not ready," Rodgers said. "The way that scan looked and the discomfort I had made me know I wasn't ready."

Rodgers said he has not been scanned since that test last week and said he did not know whether he could be cleared without having that test repeated.

"I'm going to practice tomorrow and try and do some of things I did last week without pain," Rodgers said. "See how my body responds to it on Thursday and go from there."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10115372/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-experiencing-pain-broken-collarbone

After reading that, I'm not too keen on him making a comeback this season. It sounds like he's not ready at all.

• Advertisement

As I said already, unless we can guarantee a playoff spot there is no point of bringing him back, plus with how bad the cowboys D looked yesterday morning I'd let flynn at em if AR needs another week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Tbf, even if he was to rebreak the collarbone, he'd be back in more than enough time for the start of next year. It's not like it's an injury that could cause 8 months of rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Id expect the Pack to win v Dallas with Flynn anyway. Give AR another weeks rest, if he gets through practice this week with no pain and the scans look good then you can look to play him next week if you win and are still in the playoff hunt.

If you lose v Dallas just pack him away till next season..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Will be a tough game later but with Dallas missing a few starters in the D I think we can have a good go.

Plenty of Lacy beasting too.

I actually expect to win this tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Jaysus lads that was something else.

Amazingly terrible at times and then amazingly brilliant.

Some fantastic turnovers by the defence in the second half but papers over the cracks that were there.

Lot of heart shown though and with Rodgers back next week, morale will be at an all-time high.

Eases the pain of having to get up in 6 hours time somewhat!

Go Pack!

Jesus my prediction in the weekly thread looks ****ing great right now.

I also said that we gave up roughly 20 points again before we started playing. Flynn actually didn't do terrible in the first half just had no help from the o line. Eddie lacey is a beast. When he break off a run I know he'll never take it from anything over 50yards though, All that explosive power and size isn't made for that distance and speed, still I'd put him right up there with any rb in terms of importance to a team. That run alone fired up the team.

I will admit I was wrong about Flynn, I really didn't want him back, but holy **** he does suit our system to a tee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Anyone know how much Flynn is being paid for his stint back in GB?

Anyone know how much Flynn is being paid for his stint back in GB?

1 year, 715k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

So it may sound harsh on the guy, but unless someone better appears in the draft, should Flynn settle at GB as a backup QB?

I mean, he was a bit of a mis-fit everywhere else.

Its not 12-15 million of course, but its a bit of stability for both parties if he stays

So it may sound harsh on the guy, but unless someone better appears in the draft, should Flynn settle at GB as a backup QB?

I mean, he was a bit of a mis-fit everywhere else.

Its not 12-15 million of course, but its a bit of stability for both parties if he stays

I think he will tbh, he'll not get big money offers anywhere else and Greenbay are clearly comfortable with him as a qb enough that they let me throw the ball peoperly

I think he will tbh, he'll not get big money offers anywhere else and Greenbay are clearly comfortable with him as a qb enough that they let me throw the ball peoperly

Hi Matt! :)

*waves*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

well what can you say after that but just 'go pack go'. If lacy doesn't get rookie of the year, ill get sick. 8 td's 1028 yards 4.1 per carry. 1 fumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

For me, the Seattle, and especially Oakland/Buffalo debacle was a blessing in disguise for us. He turns 29 next seasons, so his chances of being a starter are pretty much completely gone, meaning we may just be able to hold onto him on the cheap for the rest of his career, and in the process have a very solid backup for more or less the rest of Rodgers' career as well.

I was desperate for us to get him back the day after the Bills cut him and Rodgers went down, and I think we should try to hold onto him for a good 6-8 years at this point - give him the meaningless end of season game or odd fourth when the game is out of reach in either direction to keep him happy. In the meantime we can continue to take the odd flutter on UDFA guys for the practise squad, but even if we don't hit on any of them it still won't matter much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

After this year's debacle we should definitely keep 3 QBs on the active roster. Tolzien could develop quite a bit under McCarthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Terrific game agInst the Cowboys, gave me a guilty thrill to see the grinning Jason Garrett get it stuffed up him.

For once the packers got the rub of the green or so it seemed to me, the original interception from the packers D was hairline, the flinch by Free that drew the Packers player offside all seemed to go agInst the Pack.

Then Burnetts pick and the final one which sealed the deal.

Eddie lacy was awesome! and hopefully can stay in Green Bay for a long period.

Word of caution, will need a big game vs the steelers next week! potential banana skin and then all to play for agInst the Bears.

Bring it on.

Ps one thing is sure, MUST get pressure on the QB, when they did that to Romo good things happened, when they let him stand and get set in the pocket, veeeeery baaaaad

Just warning like.

I think rookie of the year is down to 2 or 3 players with Lacey imo though biased should get it. Completely changed how teams play against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Eddie lacy was awesome! and hopefully can stay in Green Bay for a long period.
    Granted Rodgers being down and the clusterf*** situation at QB until Flynn came back made us have to rely on him more, but I really want to see his carries go down a fair bit. He's missed one game, has 248, and with two games left could wind up on over 300 - that's not a recipe for a long career. Behind him, Starks has had 68 carries this year, and Franklin just 19 because of the injury. Next year, I would like to see those two take 75-100 carries off Lacy (Starks inside, Franklin outside, on screens, etc) because they have been very good when they have stepped in this season.

Nothing against Lacy at all, it's just I would rather see him have an 8-10 year career here than 4-6 years. I feel bad for Dujuan Harris because of his 'out of nowhere' story and that he was pretty good last year, but that's also a seriously strong and quite varied trio of running backs we suddenly have after three years of almost nothing (Starks is really good as a #2, but definitely not a #1... kind of like the Matt Flynn of RBs ;)).

*whistfully remembers Starks carrying us through playoffs*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So, after a month of futility, topped off by a right basting on Turkey day, and followed by two one-point victories over teams in self-destruct mode and a 61 yard FG last night, it comes down to this: two wins and we're IN!

Don't you just love football.

P.S. We have a realistic shot at a play-off place with Flynn at the helm. Who'd have thought that on black Friday?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    So, after a month of futility, topped off by a right basting on Turkey day, and followed by two one-point victories over teams in self-destruct mode and a 61 yard FG last night, it comes down to this: two wins and we're IN!

Don't you just love football.

P.S. We have a realistic shot at a play-off place with Flynn at the helm. Who'd have thought that on black Friday?

and most importantantly we have a realistic chance of MAKING the playoffs if we play like in the second halfs in Dallas and vs Falcons.

Put the QB under pressure.

We made back ups and journeyman QBs look like hall of famers in the previous four weeks.

Letting them stand up get set and pick their target.

Hope we don't burn out Lacey though.

and most importantantly we have a realistic chance of MAKING the playoffs if we play like in the second halfs in Dallas and vs Falcons.

Put the QB under pressure.

We made back ups and journeyman QBs look like hall of famers in the previous four weeks.

Letting them stand up get set and pick their target.

Hope we don't burn out Lacey though.

Fully expect AR bac this week which will slash Laceys work load in half or so

Hopefully,hopefully.

Would there ever be a chance that they might say,we can win this one with Flynn and hold Rogers for the bears game.?

Would there?

Fair play to Flynn ,he did a terrific job,so get Rogers back,lock in Flynn as back up! and develop Tolzien.

What's wrong with that

• Advertisement

Hopefully,hopefully.

Would there ever be a chance that they might say,we can win this one with Flynn and hold Rogers for the bears game.?

Would there?

Fair play to Flynn ,he did a terrific job,so get Rogers back,lock in Flynn as back up! and develop Tolzien.

What's wrong with that

Tbh don't see it happening. Ravens are starting to get hot like we are but defensiveley, they pretty much shut down Megatron last night, who to be fair had a case of dropsies last night, but compared to what we did were the greastest D ever invented. IF AR is good to go then take the chains off. He'll beat ravens while shaking the ring rust off then **** the bears ( watching with a bears fan)

Advertisement