Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Can anyone recommend any podcasts or radio showsin the lead up to the playoffs? I have one of those internet radios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

digzy wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any podcasts or radio showsin the lead up to the playoffs? I have one of those internet radios.

ESPN Milwaukee is OK (though lots of ads).
    Search for 540 ESPN

their daily packer show is at 3pm our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just had a read up on the situation and I can see why it wasn't sold out so quickly. The Packers season ticket holders were offered the chance to buy tickets for the play off game when it wasn't likely they'd make it, or that Rodgers was going to come back. The problem was, that anyone who did buy a ticket and then the Packers didn't make it, would then have that money go towards a game ticket for next year, so you can see why people didn't purchase them.

Also, Lambeau Field is the third biggest stadium in the NFL, with a capacity of just over 80,000. The population of Green Bay is about 100k. I know I'm not factoring in Wisconsin in general, but if you compare that to the other two biggest stadiums' city's populations, Washington (Pop: 5.7m) and New York (Pop: 8.3m), the people of Green Bay aren't doing that bad :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well they do have over 300 consecutive sell outs all the same, so the weather and size of the stadium don't wash as excuses.

I just find it funny given how the Packers (along with Steelers) like to portray there fans as the go any where, always sell out the stadium "real" football fans, 100K+ waiting lists etc. Yet they are really struggling here and it looks like the team will have too "buy" and give away those last few tickets.

One positive thing about all this is it should put an an end to any thoughts of increasing the playoffs to 8 teams per conference.

Also they should do away with blackouts altogether, no way this game is being blacked out in Wisconsin, NFL would be shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Some of the stuff written in other places is quite amusing.

So far I've seen a 49rs fan write that if it was in the stick it'd be sold out already...well yes seeing as how the pack have already sold more tickets than the stick at max capacity....

Also everyone is saying our best fans in the league is a myth despite going from 80,000 tickets to 3k as of yesterday with people knowing there will be -30 weather! and having the longest sell out record in the nfl

Game wont be blacked out as any remaining tickets will be bought by the team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Also everyone is saying our best fans in the league is a myth despite going from 80,000 tickets to 3k as of yesterday with people knowing there will be -30 weather! and having the longest sell out record in the nfl

Game wont be blacked out as any remaining tickets will be bought by the team

How long did it take to get from 80,000 to 3,000? That included a public sale where people could buy up to 50 tickets where initially it was limited to 4 per person. Season ticket holders had 2 opportunities to buy tickets before the public sale.

Also hardly a ringing endorsement if the team has to buy up tickets to ensure a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

adrian522 wrote: »
    How long did it take to get from 80,000 to 3,000? That included a public sale where people could buy up to 50 tickets where initially it was limited to 4 per person. Season ticket holders had 2 opportunities to buy tickets before the public sale.

Also hardly a ringing endorsement if the team has to buy up tickets to ensure a sell out.

Think it took 3 days to go from 80k to 3k. Probably would've been quicker but when fans realised that tickets would be fairly handy to get then they wouldn't be out queueing on Monday. Selling 80k tickets for any event with less than 7 days notice where the population of the local city is only just around the same as the capacity, and tickets are between 100-150 dollars - is not going to be easy. Factor in weather and the fact that we didn't look like making the playoffs (people might alternative plans already made or used their cash elsewhere). You'd do well to sell out an All Ireland final given the same conditions and situation.

Don't see how this is some stick to beat the Packers with.

Not less than 7 days notice, originally it went out to season ticket holders in November. They should have given fans the option of a refund if the team didn't make the play-offs though.

As I'm sure you are aware Packers fans come from a much wider area than just Green Bay, WI.

I agree it's not a stick to beat the packers with, but all the media driven hype about the consecutive sell-outs and the huge waiting lists should be put to bed now. As should any talk of increasing the number of teams in the play offs as 3 of the 4 Wild card games have struggled to sell their tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Not less than 7 days notice, originally it went out to season ticket holders in November. They should have given fans the option of a refund if the team didn't make the play-offs though.

As I'm sure you are aware Packers fans come from a much wider area than just Green Bay, WI.

I agree it's not a stick to beat the packers with, but all the media driven hype about the consecutive sell-outs and the huge waiting lists should be put to bed now. As should any talk of increasing the number of teams in the play offs as 3 of the 4 Wild card games have struggled to sell their tickets.

To be fair it'd be the same as paying for a champions league semi final if your team lost its first 3 group games. The packers shouldn't be in the playoffs. Bears and lions **** the bed. Fans to be fair can't be blamed for not buying 2 playoff games when it was clear they weren'tgoing to make playoffs . Plus the increase of people. Last season its a sell out. We are 5k people on top of last seasons numbers with 3 left. And I said before its not the packers fan base that'd be put off by the weather

Arawn wrote: »
    To be fair it'd be the same as paying for a champions league semi final if your team lost its first 3 group games. The packers shouldn't be in the playoffs. Bears and lions **** the bed. Fans to be fair can't be blamed for not buying 2 playoff games when it was clear they weren'tgoing to make playoffs . Plus the increase of people. Last season its a sell out. We are 5k people on top of last seasons numbers with 3 left. And I said before its not the packers fan base that'd be put off by the weather

It was never clear to me the packers wouldn't be in the playoffs, they were never really out of contention.

And if it's not the packers fan base being put off by the weather, how come every regular season game was a sell out yet the biggest game of the season there are still tickets available 2 days before the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

It was never clear to me the packers wouldn't be in the playoffs, they were never really out of contention.

And if it's not the packers fan base being put off by the weather, how come every regular season game was a sell out yet the biggest game of the season there are still tickets available 2 days before the game?

I suppose there are 7000 extra seats that have to be filled.
    Seems to me that most people have the season written off.

It's just a pity the opportunity of a classic freezing game against a warm weather opponent falls to this particular Packer outfit, with their woeful D.

Offense and AR excepted.

For my own part, a relative of mine is selling 4 tickets to this game.
    It's not because he is intimiated by the cold weather!
    They LOVE a good freezing game, particularly if it snows, and especially against warm weather opposition.
    He just has the season written off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jman0war wrote: »
    For my own part, a relative of mine is selling 4 tickets to this game.
    It's not because he is intimiated by the cold weather!
    They LOVE a good freezing game, particularly if it snows, and especially against warm weather opposition.
    He just has the season written off.
    I don't have the highest of hopes... but that's kind of poor form on his part, in my opinion.

Season written off with the return of AR?? bit silly

It kinda reminds me a bit of the gloating that greeted Barca's elimination when they were crushed in the semi finals of the CL. A lot of people almost took delight in pointing to the empty seats by the end of the Nou Camp tie, as if that made them somehow less of a huge club. Green Bay have an incredible attendance record, one they can rightly point to with pride again and again, and not sure that can be dismissed as media driven hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It was a bit uncool by the organisation not giving refunds had the Pack not qualified for the playoffs.

In the event of not qualifying the monies paid would have been kept to pay for next years season ticket.

If I was a season ticket holder @ thanksgiving having watched the Lions deliver a smack-down... I would not have been keen handing over the guts of €1k to be kept for 6months.

In the end packer nation pulled through (more or less).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Season written off with the return of AR?? bit silly

Nuts really. I had full confidence of us beating the Bears with AR and Cobb back. And despite the realist in me saying we're up against it vs. the 49ers, the optimist in me is getting more and more excited at the prospect of a big game Sunday and a potential spark for our playoff run.

Nuts really. I had full confidence of us beating the Bears with AR and Cobb back. And despite the realist in me saying we're up against it vs. the 49ers, the optimist in me is getting more and more excited at the prospect of a big game Sunday and a potential spark for our playoff run.

Plus they could play a strong pass defence knowing we had no running threat last year and the first game this year, now teams know lacy will run right over your defence and break off a 20-60 yard run so they wont be able to just sit back like they have been waiting for the ball

I expect the niners to do what they always do to defend the run and that is leave it to the front seven, they won't be taking guys out of pass coverage to help put against the run I don't think.

I expect the niners to do what they always do to defend the run and that is leave it to the front seven, they won't be taking guys out of pass coverage to help put against the run I don't think.

Eddie Lacy might prove you wrong, Honestly think he'll keep the D a bit more honest. He has shown he runs hard and while you'll never see him run end to end, his power running 20-60 yards can really lift the team and make D's close in that extra few yards

Well if the 49ers need to bring a safety down in run support they wont win the game. I have to think the 49ers will limit lacy's effectiveness. I think he'll get his yards, 80-100 but I'll be happy enough as long as he is not carving us up.

I think this game will come down to how effective the 49ers pass rush is, get pressure on Rodgers and we win, don't get pressure and we will lose.

• Advertisement

Well if the 49ers need to bring a safety down in run support they wont win the game. I have to think the 49ers will limit lacy's effectiveness. I think he'll get his yards, 80-100 but I'll be happy enough as long as he is not carving us up.

I think this game will come down to how effective the 49ers pass rush is, get pressure on Rodgers and we win, don't get pressure and we will lose.

I think he'll manage 120or so with 1possibly 2 td's. I am 50/50on who will win, to me the game is decided by the 49rs, if the let Kap do his thing ye'll win, if they try to stop him getting hit ye'll lose

Well any team rushing for 120 yards and 2 TD's will win the game. Given how we shut down the Seattle run game I'd be very surprised to see Green Bay put up those sort of numbers.

He got voted #3 All-Pro behind McCoy, Charles and Peterson; Sitton also got in #5 at G. It's going to be important for his ankle to be a bit more healed up though - he seemed we wear down late the last week or two, and pick up a small limp. Starks is great to bring in for a breather (5.5 per carry on 89 attempts, 489yds this year) but against a team as strong as SF I would rather have him just for that, and maybe the last 8 minutes or so if we are running the clock down. If Lacy starts limping with a significant amount of time left, we could be in a bit of trouble.

For me, the two keys are how well (most likely Tramon) does on Crabtree and if Daniels can make a play or two - he's not only been getting some sacks this year, but having some understated big plays, the latest example being Forte's -5 yard attempt late last Sunday which imo was a key moment (see below - #76). In 2010 Bishop was that guy, and if we are to make a good playoff run this time around we'll need someone less known/planned for in the front seven to make 'splash' plays outside of Clay - I reckon it'll be Daniels if anyone.

bears_packers_122913.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Game Day.

We confident in here? Have no idea what Packer team will show up. Hopefully it's something pre Rodgers injury.

How much do you's think the weather will play a part for both teams.?

Go pack go!!!

That seriously has to be capers last game at gb

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Sick of losing to 49ers and Kaepernick.

I didn't think the pakers Defense was that bad, dropped 2 picks which lost them the game, hardly capers fault though..

That last Kap run was on the OLB not the DC by the way.

I didn't think the pakers Defense was that bad, dropped 2 picks which lost them the game, hardly capers fault though..

they were terrible all season

That last drive was our last three seasons in a nutshell. And like was said in the game, our defence got worse any time we took the lead and needed them to help out. It's like clockwork - if we scored a TD at the end there, we'd have let you guys get a TD at the death. That's not intended as an exaggeration either - I 100% believe it, without any doubt.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    That last drive was our last three seasons in a nutshell. And like was said in the game, our defence got worse any time we took the lead and needed them to help out. It's like clockwork - if we scored a TD at the end there, we'd have let you guys get a TD at the death. That's not intended as an exaggeration either - I 100% believe it, without any doubt.

Not true, they are ****ing super on the first two downs of every series we need them to make a stop. It's those third downs

Advertisement