Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I just realised that starks will probably be off this year as some teams will want him after a pretty good year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Do you think Jones will be re-signed? I thought that with how well Boykin played Jones might be allowed to go.

Tristram wrote: »
    Do you think Jones will be re-signed? I thought that with how well Boykin played Jones might be allowed to go.

He is saying all the right things to be re signed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Mike McCarthy speaking to the press today:

On needing to make more plays on defense: "Just talking with players, some of them have opinions about that. Need more players making plays on defense. I think that's stating the obvious. I think those guys are here. Offseason may bring more in."

On evaluating himself: "That's probably a question for Ted. I didn't win the last game, I didn't do a good enough job. Most challenging season for sure. Adversity never stopped."

Other bits and pieces:

MM on first and goal run to Cobb vs. SF: "There was a mistake made in our run blocking unit. No problem with that call."

"Couldn't ask for more from Bakhtiari. Sitton critical on left side with him. David has lot of growth in front of him. No answer for Sherrod & Bulaga as far as positions yet. Will be determined in time."

"I felt this was going to be the best offense we ever had here. I thought we were going to go past 2011. At 5-2, I felt very good about our team. Hit stride coming out of Minnesota. Numbers reflected it. Defense also playing well at 5-2. We are built the right way. Running ball better, plus best QB in league. Built to win late season games."

“I’m not looking to make big changes. I think Dom Capers is an outstanding football coach and I’m glad he’s on our staff,” McCarthy said on Wednesday during his season-ending press conference.

“Very challenging season for us. We have a lot of work to do. We’re in day three of our evaluation process. We’ll do everything we need to do as we push forward to next season,” McCarthy added.

“I was really impressed with our young players, just the way they’ve grown. It gives us a chance to get better and we will get better.”

Jesus capers right is off that way, if you would like to **** in that direction eery packer fan would be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Frustrating season with so many vital injuries just slowed us right down after gaining a bit of form.

Defense looked like it might be up to something towards the start of the season and it just went to the dogs when Rodgers went down making things even harder for us. Perry needs a massive season next year imo. Theres still too much reliance on Matthews. Williams had a strong finish to the season which was good to see.

O-line has improved from last year and happy with Bakhtiari but he always seems to have his hands all over the pass rushers face which leads to the inevitable penalty which he did many times. But he will learn.

Offense which was depleted with injuries I feel coped. We have some serious talent in that area in Cobb,Nelson and now Lacy troubling defenses on the run too. Nice to see Boykin and Quarless making an impact when needed too.

Theres only so much you can say about Rodgers. We are lucky to have him.

Areas we need to look at.

First and foremost, Safety. We are deplorable there. This needs to be sorted.

Another OLB as we were seriously short the other night.

And even though it was Hawk's best season with us I think we should look at drafting another MLB.

Finally a DE as Raji and Pickett have not been pulling their weight the past while.

However the biggest area I would like to see improvement is in the management. Capers is hurting this team and I can't see this being fixed if he stays in charge. Even more worrying is Mike McCarthy can't see this.

The NFC North was shocking this year and we really got lucky with the Lions beating themselves and Cutler being Cutler. But next year I expect a much better Lions team and Cutler being Cutler. We might not be so lucky next year.

Anyway Go Pack Go!!!

seiphil wrote: »
    Frustrating season with so many vital injuries just slowed us right down after gaining a bit of form.

Defense looked like it might be up to something towards the start of the season and it just went to the dogs when Rodgers went down making things even harder for us. Perry needs a massive season next year imo. Theres still too much reliance on Matthews. Williams had a strong finish to the season which was good to see.

O-line has improved from last year and happy with Bakhtiari but he always seems to have his hands all over the past rushers face which leads to the inevitable penalty which he did many times. But he will learn.

Offense which was depleted with injuries I feel coped. We have some serious talent in that area in Cobb,Nelson and now Lacy troubling defenses on the run too. Nice to see Boykin and Quarless making an impact when needed too.

And even though it was Hawk's best season with us I think we should look at drafting another MLB.

Finally a DE as Raji and Pickett have not been pulling their weight the past while.

However the biggest area I would like to see improvement is in the management. Capers is hurting this team and I can't see this being fixed if he stays in charge. Even more worrying is Mike McCarthy can't see this.

The NFC North was shocking this year and we really got lucky with the Lions beating themselves and Cutler being Cutler. But next year I expect a much better Lions team and Cutler being Cutler. We might not be so lucky next year.

Anyway Go Pack Go!!!
    If you rewatch games, a lot of his penalties saved A Rod from getting sacked out of his cletes. I'd much rather give up 5/10 than have A rod sacked at 4

Arawn wrote: »
    If you rewatch games, a lot of his penalties saved A Rod from getting sacked out of his cletes. I'd much rather give up 5/10 than have A rod sacked at 4

What about the other times? He's just needlessly giving up yardage. Don't get me wrong he was thrown in to the deep end pretty quick and I think he managed well. Just an area of his game I would like to see him clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

O-line has improved from last year and happy with Bakhtiari but he always seems to have his hands all over the pass rushers face which leads to the inevitable penalty which he did many times. But he will learn.

Anyway Go Pack Go!!!
    What games did the bears lose that could be blamed on Cutler? I agree the nfcn was awful, but it was the bears D, not Cutler, that you had to thank for being in the playoffs. I mean, Jesus, they were even worse than your crappy D.

What games did the bears lose that could be blamed on Cutler? I agree the nfcn was awful, but it was the bears D, not Cutler, that you had to thank for being in the playoffs. I mean, Jesus, they were even worse than your crappy D.

Well I was getting at him being bang average more than anything.

• Advertisement

Well I was getting at him being bang average more than anything.

He had his best year ever for the bears, on one of the most dangerous offenses in the league. Clearly the reason the packers limped into the playoffs was because the lions did us all their usual favor, and the bears d managed to squander the achievements of the highest scoring offense in the division. Nothing to do with Cutler, who I think gets all manner of criticism of this kind because of a vague dislike for him personally. If he had thrown the interceptions Rodgers did in the last regular season game people would have a field day about it. Discounting the garbage time hail may int he certainly had more to do with us almost beating you to the playoffs than he did with us crashing out, which was manifestly on the D.

Edit: not trying to imply Cutler is a great QB or anything. I don't even like discussing Cutler with bears fans at the moment, let alone you guys! Anyways carry on, and please don't fire Capers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nothing to do with Cutler, who I think gets all manner of criticism of this kind because of a vague dislike for him personally. If he had thrown the interceptions Rodgers did in the last regular season game people would have a field day about it. Discounting the garbage time hail may int he certainly had more to do with us almost beating you to the playoffs than he did with us crashing out, which was manifestly on the D.
    I have to disagree with this - he was good this year yes, but he missed 5 games and had perhaps the best season of his career... and still Rodgers has only had more INTs than he has once (his first year starting in 2008, and only on one more at that). I do agree that sometimes he gets too much grief, but at the same time in his 7 years starting he has only once had close to a 2:1 TD/INT ratio (an the numbers were low then - 13:7 as he missed 6 games), this was only his second season above 63% accuracy, his highest every YPA has been 7.6, and he has never finished a season with a QBR of 90 or above.

The fact is he is competing with a guy who has never finished below 90 (in fact only once before 100!) on QBR, who has only once had below a 7.6 YPA (and a career avg of 8.2), who has a career average of 3.5:1 for TD:INT (and has never been below 2:1), and who has never had a season below 63% in accuracy.

I do agree though if people are saying 'Cutler being Cutler' they also need to be saying 'Stafford being Stafford' as they are about the same level in my mind - 6.5-7/10 or B-/C+ types, reasonably talented starting QBs but without an 'X' factor or stand-out leadership qualities. Not intended as an insult at either, but they'll struggle mightily to beat any team with a healthy Rodgers over the course of the year.

But I never said he is as good as Rodgers. Nobody has ever said that and nobody will.(as our gm said last week "we don't need Jay Cutler to be better than Aaron Rodgers, we need the Chicago Bears to be better than the Green Bay Packers") The issue is that he was not responsible for the packers getting into the playoffs. I can't think of any game he lost for us this year.

But I never said he is as good as Rodgers. Nobody has ever said that and nobody will.(as our gm said last week "we don't need Jay Cutler to be better than Aaron Rodgers, we need the Chicago Bears to be better than the Green Bay Packers") The issue is that he was not responsible for the packers getting into the playoffs. I can't think of any game he lost for us this year.
    I didn't see too many Bears games though I know what you mean. Taking a quick glance at the numbers the only gamehe did poorly in that you lost was against the Eagles... and it didn't matter what he did, he wasn't bridging that gap (it was one of the games I saw). YOu guys had some huge injuries this year defensively, most of all probably Melton, but the big issue though is how you overcome that big a difference at QB with how important a position it is over the last 10 years or so. That said, us holding on to Capers would be a massive help to you - and that's not a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Problem is you've just paid Jay Cutler Aaron Rodgers money (or at least a good QB money).. which will hold the rest of the Bears team back. Which was ridiculous. He hasn't proven jack all yet as a Bear.

Problem is you've just paid Jay Cutler Aaron Rodgers money (or at least a good QB money).. which will hold the rest of the Bears team back. Which was ridiculous. He hasn't proven jack all yet as a Bear.

Not getting into it.

It's a front loaded contract. He'll be gone in 3 years with no dead money. It is actually a great deal for both sides. They have a stable if not spectacular qb for 3 years which means they can wait for a qb they like in the draft even next year if they want, have him sit behind cutler, then replace cutler with him.

And Jay probably gets his last big contract out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I think you're having a different argument with the poster, that's a totally different matter. You'll see RDS was setting an uninformed poster straight who was making a misguided argument that it was cutler or the bears offense that the Packers have to thank. I think that poster will find it's the 50 year record breaking D that is to blame. It's pretty obvious that they made one hell of a lazy post. Cutler's contract and that impact on the future of the Bears is a totally different matter (and as you'll see from the Bears thread is debated quite thoroughly).

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I think you're having a different argument with the poster, that's a totally different matter. You'll see RDS was setting an uninformed poster straight who was making a misguided argument that it was cutler or the bears offense that the Packers have to thank. I think that poster will find it's the 50 year record breaking D that is to blame. It's pretty obvious that they made one hell of a lazy post. Cutler's contract and that impact on the future of the Bears is a totally different matter (and as you'll see from the Bears thread is debated quite thoroughly).

Ok, maybe Cutler isn't completely at fault for Bears not getting into the play offs but he has to take some blame. He has some serious weapons in Marshall and Bennett and really should be doing a whole lot better.

McGowan played 8 games for you's this year with 13 TD's and 1 interception
    Cutler 11 games with 19 TD's and 11 Interceptions.

Those 11 interceptions put pressure on your weak defense. Cutler having his best season for the Bears is also not saying much at all with a QB rating of 89.2.

All I'm saying is, I can't see the Bears winning the division with Cutler as QB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

89.2 is a decent QB rating to have. Most teams would be happy for their QB's to put up a rating of 90 most weeks. Only the top level elite guys are posting over 100 in passer rating. (I'm ignoring guys who only played half a season here).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

The issue is that he was not responsible for the packers getting into the playoffs. I can't think of any game he lost for us this year.

He was absolutely awful in both Lions games he played in.
    He threw 3 interceptions in Detroit which led to him padding his stats near the end as the Lions layed back after getting such a big lead. And in Soldier field he was very ineffective, although he did looked like he was carrying an injury most of the game & was finally benched for ye for the last drive of the game.

Ok, maybe Cutler isn't completely at fault for Bears not getting into the play offs but he has to take some blame. He has some serious weapons in Marshall and Bennett and really should be doing a whole lot better.

McGowan played 8 games for you's this year with 13 TD's and 1 interception
    Cutler 11 games with 19 TD's and 11 Interceptions.

Those 11 interceptions put pressure on your weak defense. Cutler having his best season for the Bears is also not saying much at all with a QB rating of 89.2.

All I'm saying is, I can't see the Bears winning the division with Cutler as QB.

If you wander over to the Bears thread you'll see I've previously gone on about how Cutler needs to cut out the interceptions but you are barking up the wrong tree blaming our season on Cutler.

6 of those interceptions were thrown in games we won by the way. And of the rest 3 game in one game v's the Lions - a horrible game obviously but I think one is allowed. So yeah you can blame that game on Cutler alright if you want. Did it cost us the whole season? I doubt it. We couldn't beat the Redskins or Vikings away with this D, so I think even if cutler played well in that game our D would have found a way to lose.

Against Philly he threw one Int - yet we lost 54-11, was that his fault?

Did he not play very well in the final game v the packers - yet still lost? Why was that again? Oh yeah our D again conceded 30+ points, basically giving the game away by blowing coverage at the end. Oh and not bothering to pick up a fumble either!

Let's look at our D;

- Joint least sacks in the league
    - Worst Run D in the league and by a long way too!
    - Worst 8 run game span run D in NFL history
    - Broke a 50 year franchise record defensively
    - Allowed over 40 points 3 times

( so basically ****e both rushing and in run D)

Honestly your initial assessment was lazy and rather than admit it you're just backing yourself into a corner trying to prove it, when the the stats and tape don't back it up.

Ps. It's Josh McCowan by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

NFL.COM says not!

P.S. Is this the Packers' thread or what?

If you wander over to the Bears thread you'll see I've previously gone on about how Cutler needs to cut out the interceptions but you are barking up the wrong tree blaming our season on Cutler.

6 of those interceptions were thrown in games we won by the way. And of the rest 3 game in one game v's the Lions - a horrible game obviously but I think one is allowed. So yeah you can blame that game on Cutler alright if you want. Did it cost us the whole season? I doubt it. We couldn't beat the Redskins or Vikings away with this D, so I think even if cutler played well in that game our D would have found a way to lose.

Against Philly he threw one Int - yet we lost 54-11, was that his fault?

Did he not play very well in the final game v the packers - yet still lost? Why was that again? Oh yeah our D again conceded 30+ points, basically giving the game away by blowing coverage at the end. Oh and not bothering to pick up a fumble either!

Let's look at our D;

- Joint least sacks in the league
    - Worst Run D in the league and by a long way too!
    - Worst 8 run game span run D in NFL history
    - Broke a 50 year franchise record defensively
    - Allowed over 40 points 3 times

( so basically ****e both rushing and in run D)

Honestly your initial assessment was lazy and rather than admit it you're just backing yourself into a corner trying to prove it, when the the stats and tape don't back it up.

Clearly said Cutler was not fully to blame but was one of the reasons. Look at Green Bay, gave up 20 plus points a game but because of Rodgers work at the start of the season and the last game we managed to make the playoffs. With big help from Lacy.

Cutler was intercepted at a vital time against Green Bay and should of been intercepted again earlier.

My initial "assessment" was nothing but a side comment which obviously you don't agree with. Was never meant to be much time spent trying to explain why the Bears didn't make the playoffs which may explain my "laziness".

Anyway you would have watched the Bears more than myself so I will take what you are saying. Just going by what I seen and the stats.(TD's and Interceptions ratio)

Back to Packer talk!!!

Pherekydes wrote: »
    NFL.COM says not!

P.S. Is this the Packers' thread or what?

Doh!

Anyway you can go back to slating your D now, much like we are!

Clearly said Cutler was not fully to blame but was one of the reasons. Look at Green Bay, gave up 20 plus points a game but because of Rodgers work at the start of the season and the last game we managed to make the playoffs. With big help from Lacy.

Cutler was intercepted at a vital time against Green Bay and should of been intercepted again earlier.

My initial "assessment" was nothing but a side comment which obviously you don't agree with. Was never meant to be much time spent trying to explain why the Bears didn't make the playoffs which may explain my "laziness".

Anyway you would have watched the Bears more than myself so I will take what you are saying. Just going by what I seen and the stats.(TD's and Interceptions ratio)

Back to Packer talk!!!

I'll leave it be, but on the bold bit, again I'm not sure what match you were watching - again I get the feeling you are guessing - the Int was on the last throw of the game a hail mary that came up short, it was a heave up in the air from miles back, you can't blame any QB for that.

Shame on people spelling McCown wrong by the way - he gave us possibly my favourite last-gasp entry to the playoffs 10 years back. We had to beat the 10-5 Broncos (and did 31-3 in a great performance), and the Vikings who had the most offensive yards in the league only had to beat the lowly 3-12 Cardinals. I'm actually amazed it was never mentioned in the aftermath of his win against us earlier in the year... I think he and Nate Poole rach even got given an honorary key to the city of something.

The Vikings were up 17-6 at the 2 minute warning in the fourth quarter...

Commentary is courtesy of Paul Allen, one of the biggest fans of the Vikings and anti-Green Bay figures in American sports media. :D

One week later Matt Hasselbeck famously said "we want the ball and we're going to score" only for Al Harris in his first year over from Philadelphia to make a legend of himself instantly...

Article on why Capers is not to blame and it's Thompson's recent draft picking.

Davon House is the only remaining player from the 2011 draft. That's not good at all.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140111/PKR07/301090495/Mike-Vandermause-column-defense-Dom-Capers?nclick_check

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    I would have to say that part of our problem stems from Ted Thomson's poor defensive draft choices.

With the exception of Clay Matthews there has been some very disappointing picks. Our last four first round draft picks Bulaga, Sherrod, Perry and Jones have all failed to leave up to their expectations. Clearly tackling ability or aggression have not been part of the criteria on which draft picks were picked on.

It is hard to see how our deficiencies at LB and Safety can be addressed in this year's draft though at least we should have some extra picks for the loss of players in free agency.

Must have read my post ;)

• Advertisement

Lacy named PFWA rookie of the year. Well deserved.

Advertisement