Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

seiphil wrote: »
    Davon House is the only remaining player from the 2011 draft. That's not good at all.
    First, it has to be remembered that in the 2011 draft we had the last pick in rounds 1, 2, 3, 4 (supp), 6 and 7, plus an early/mid 5th rounder and two mid 6th rounders. It was hardly a year we were packed full of picks in advantageous positions.

But even then, that is not true at all - there is still Sherrod here, and you can't blame Thompson for his horrific leg break. Likewise DJ Smith had looked decent prior to a terrible knee injury that is again not down to Thompson, and like Sherrod had not had injury problems previously as best I know.

Ryan Taylor is still with the team, while DuJuan Harris and Tolzien 'came out' that year but were UDFAs - if Starks goes elsewhere, there's a good chance we see both of them return next year. Plus House of course.

Oh, and that Randall Cobb guy. I hear he's kind of Ok. Ish.

There was also Lawrence Guy in the seventh who has gone on to be a decent backup around the league - not bad for where he went. He would have done likewise here, but we have built up a VERY deep line in the last few years so there was no place for him. What our line is lacking is one or two big impact players - Raji has regressed badly, Daniels is looking like he could do a bit of a job there and maybe Neal too if we keep him, and then it's down to seeing what we get out of Datone/Worthy who were noted as two very high upside players coming out of the draft that were likely to take some time to adjust. But when you get down to the 4-7 options on a three man front, we're amongst some the best in the league (factoring in potential). It's 1-3 that we need more from.

So rather than us having one guy from 2011, we actually have 4-6 depending on how you view DuJuan/Tolzien, and a 7th (Guy) didn't get cut for not being good enough for the league - he got cut for not being good enough for the Packers. The same could be said of DJ Williams (TE), but I think he'll flush out of the league in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ben McAdoo has joined the Giants as OC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Ben McAdoo has joined the Giants as OC.

Who do you reckon will take over as QB coach.?

Edgar Bennett well tipped.

Who do you reckon will take over as QB coach.?

Edgar Bennett well tipped.

Alex van Pelt? Maybe. He's a former NFL QB.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Alex van Pelt? Maybe. He's a former NFL QB.
    Well if he's as good and attentive a listener as Bradlee, who I always assumed he was related to (even though he's not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

So Finley is saying he will be cleared to resume contact training in 3 to 4 weeks.

This is great news that he is making such a good recovery but begs the question - should / will the Packers be prepared to offer him a new contract?

If the Packers used the Franchise Tag on him, they could assess him for a season and would be cheaper than giving him a new contract.

I still think he has the potential to be an elite TE and would hate to see him reach it with another team.

Well done to Eddie Lacey on winning Offensive Rookie of the year - well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

We can't afford him tbh! He has already said he wont take a pay cut

OK, so I stole this post from here - http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541380 (not a member of that forum but there's some good info in there, especially from a poster called 'palmy' particularly regarding the draft)... but this is amazing.

---

Aaron Rodgers missed 8 games.
    Randall Cobb missed 10 games.
    Jermichael Finley missed 10 games.
    Bryan Bulaga missed the season.
    Derek Sherrod has missed two years (first round offensive lineman).
    We were the only team in the NFL to start a rookie left tackle week one.
    Our backup quarterback left his first start after the first series.

All of that adversity, and our offense had 6,404 yards. The Packers all-time record for offensive yards in a season is 6,482 yards. We missed the all-time yardage record this year by 78 yards (or two James Jones drops).

That's with a starting QB, a starting TE, a starting WR and a starting LT all missing at least eight games.

And that's not even mentioning the miscellaneous games other offensive starters missed.

We were just 79 yards away from gaining more yards than the 2011 season. The year our QB won the MVP award. Let that sink in a little bit. I am absolutely amazed by that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Interesting news regarding Nick Collins - been cleared to play apparently. Put up on his Twitter.

Free agent though which means he's unlikely to come back to us.

Alex van Pelt has been appointed QBs coach, as suggested by moi. :pac:

Sam Gash, former Lions' RBs coach, takes over van Pelt's job as RBs coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

looks like capers is staying on and were sticking with a 3-4 defence with more schemes and looks. If we can improve on our first up tackling, it would help allot and maybe draft ha-ha and hope his another Alabama stud.

Nope. Goodbye superbowl. Not joking, either.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nope. Goodbye superbowl. Not joking, either.

Unless there is a major change,you are not wrong.

No pass rush,no coverage down the middle, not much run stop,getting burned in the corners by bigger stronger receivers.

Bye bye Superbowl.

looks like ted Thompson and mike McCarthy are going shopping. according to nfl.com we have 30m in free cap space and they are looking into the free agency market to strengthen the defence. Looks like there is a big push for a sb, if true, considering our offence can be special if they stay healthy. will capers still be the stumbling block or is it just a case for a few more body. Michael Bennett would be awesome to get but he won't face to his brother twice a year. who would you like to see come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Who in free Agency do you think we will look at?

Hearing Byrd who was with the Bills. Don't know much about him myself.

Would like to see us tie down either Cobb or Nelson this year to at least guarantee we will have one of them beyond next year.

Who in free Agency do you think we will look at?

Hearing Byrd who was with the Bills. Don't know much about him myself.

Would like to see us tie down either Cobb or Nelson this year to at least guarantee we will have one of them beyond next year.

Good receiving TE would be nice,none since Mark Chmura who was a fokkhing cracker.

Jimmy Graham mentioned, need a big horse on the concrete to add an extra dimension.

Remember Keith Jackson?

Not popular acquisition but the Fokker was good.

Good receiving TE would be nice,none since Mark Chmura who was a fokkhing cracker.

Jimmy Graham mentioned, need a big horse on the concrete to add an extra dimension.

Remember Keith Jackson?

Not popular acquisition but the Fokker was good.

No chance of Graham. " first round picks as well as his contract to pony up

No chance of Graham. " first round picks as well as his contract to pony up

Agree there, only dreaming:p

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10575358/green-bay-packers-re-sign-cornerback-sam-shields

Delighted with signing Shields up.

Cracking last year and can only get better.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10575358/green-bay-packers-re-sign-cornerback-sam-shields

Delighted with signing Shields up.

Cracking last year and can only get better.

Nice one, haven't checked the link, I'll say 8m

Checking the link.....

10m ....bit steep

• Advertisement

not really considering he is one of our few D players who show up to play

not really considering he is one of our few D players who show up to play

You are not wrong there

Maybe the D line could take an example .

cosatron wrote: »
    looks like ted Thompson and mike McCarthy are going shopping. according to nfl.com we have 30m in free cap space and they are looking into the free agency market to strengthen the defence. Looks like there is a big push for a sb, if true, considering our offence can be special if they stay healthy. will capers still be the stumbling block or is it just a case for a few more body. Michael Bennett would be awesome to get but he won't face to his brother twice a year. who would you like to see come in.

And then Free Agency comes along...

tumbleweed.jpg

We are shipping em out quick enough at this stage!

And then Free Agency comes along...

tumbleweed.jpg

why do they constantly get my hopes up. There was so many players I was hoping they would go for that would improve our D but unfortunately they didn't bite. Imagine the damage Demarcus ware and Matthews would do.

cosatron wrote: »
    why do they constantly get my hopes up. There was so many players I was hoping they would go for that would improve our D but unfortunately they didn't bite. Imagine the damage Demarcus ware and Matthews would do.

As good as ware is he is getting old....Build in the draft or trade up for clowney!! (never ever going to happen!!

No news on Free Agency again today apart from Owen Daniels making a visit and Finley visiting Seattle.

Early days yet but we're going to have a ****load of gaps to fill if we get FA wrong.

We kept raji but lost EDS

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

We kept raji but lost EDS

Rodgers won't be happy losing EDS!

• Advertisement

Rodgers won't be happy losing EDS!

I suspect the poster "Evan Dietrich Smith" here may also be miffed!

Advertisement