Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Disappointed EDS is gone, he's been excellent since beating out Jeff Saturday for the starting role.

Raji's contract is a plus though. Has to earn himself a decent this season coming.

As I said before, we've quite a few gaps to fill and we're only likely to get 3-4 starters at a push from the draft. Surely Ted is going to have to make some moves especially seeing as McCarthy is said to prefer a vet at center.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

So, Julius Peppers. Not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

I suspect the poster "Evan Dietrich Smith" here may also be miffed!

:eek:

For sure....emmm how do you change a handle round here?:confused:

Only kiddin, now what are the Pack gonna do at C..

JC Tretter.. Don Barclay ? TJ lang.. Or import one.

Thought that ******** Dietrich Smith would stay.

We've signed Letroy Guion, a DT from the Vikes.

But gone is James Jones to the Raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

We've signed Letroy Guion, a DT from the Vikes.

But gone is James Jones to the Raiders.

Jones clearly is cashing in one last time to head there tbh.

I think we'll probably sign a vetern for little money and draft a centre project

• Advertisement

Jones clearly is cashing in one last time to head there tbh.

I think we'll probably sign a vetern for little money and draft a centre project

Jones is right ,good player and has a bit of class,I wish him well .

Packers are good at WR with Nelson/Boykin/Cobb/myles White plus what're re they can get in the draft.

How ti me flies though, not long ago Driver/ Jones/Jennings were the big three,now all gone.

Oh I've no problem with him going my point is Raiders have nobody that can throw him the ball!

Oh I've no problem with him going my point is Raiders have nobody that can throw him the ball!

Only have to look at Jennings to see how pointless it is to pay big money to a receiver coming from the likes of Rodgers, Brady and Manning going to a mid level to poor QB. They can't throw the ball to themselves!

Marshall Newhouse has departed for the Bengals.

Aaron Rodgers will sleep a little easier tonight.

So our draft picks have been finalised with the compensatory picks thrown in (until Ted trades back the way for more picks!)

Round: Overall
    1: 21
    2: 53
    3: 85
    3: 98
    4: 121
    5: 161
    5: 176
    6: 197
    7: 236

Any ideas on what people would like to see drafted? I know Clinton-Dix is top of a lot of peoples list, but it's very possible he will be off the board when it comes to our pick and given Micah Hyde is being touted as a possible move to safety then it may be worthwhile picking up a safety in rounds 2-4?

The consensus top ten-fifteen draft picks look likely to be any order of Bortles, Clowney, Bridgewater, Manziel, Mack, Watkins, Robinson, Lewan, Evans, Matthews, Ebron, Gilbert, Jernigan, Donald, Barr, Clinton-Dix.

After that you have the following possibilities:

WR: Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, Marqise Lee.
    LB: CJ Mosley, Kyle Van Noy, Ryan Shazier, Chris Borland.
    DE: Kony Ealy, Trent Murphy.
    DL: Stephon Tuitt, Rashede Hagemann.
    TE: Jace Amaro.
    CB: Darqueze Dennard, Kyle Fuller, Bradley Roby, Marcus Roberson.
    S: Calvin Pryor.
    OT: Zack Martin, Cyrus Kouandjio.

Feel free to add your own, but who would you go with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I'd go for Pryor if he's there. If not, I'd try to move back and maybe pick up another 3rd if possible. They could then package a third and their 2nd to move up in the 2nd round. That would give them the chance to pick up 2 of your list there which I think would be a very good haul.

Hmmm seems to be a bit of a change in the Packers D-Line.

CJ Wilson gone to Oakland and with free agency leaves only one road grader in there BJ Raji and he is only on a one year!

Seems they are going for more mobile DLinemen,Datone Jones,Worthy,Daniels, etc all a tad undersized for the run stuffing operation.

Aimed at Kaepernick..... Is it:D

Will be interesting.

Going for a more athletic approach alrite. Hopefully it clicks.

As for the draft I would go for Pryor as we really suffered in ss and fs last year. So that needs to be addressed.

What's the story with FB are we going to keep Kuhn or will we pick up somebody in the later rounds?

I worry about having undersized guys on D. Only need to look at the likes of Hawk and how they've been batted aside by RB's and receivers. Now I guess part of that is down to tackling technique (look at the likes of Kyle Van Noy in college wrap up guys in tackles and he's quite small for a linebacker) but it's not all that long ago we couldn't stop teams running all over us - we were giving up 4.7 and 4.5 yards on average in 2011 and 2012 respectively.

I worry about having undersized guys on D. Only need to look at the likes of Hawk and how they've been batted aside by RB's and receivers. Now I guess part of that is down to tackling technique (look at the likes of Kyle Van Noy in college wrap up guys in tackles and he's quite small for a linebacker) but it's not all that long ago we couldn't stop teams running all over us - we were giving up 4.7 and 4.5 yards on average in 2011 and 2012 respectively.

Someone said it best. After the draft we will have all the talent available that Capers will have nowhere else to hide if our D is **** this season

Nice to see Kuhn re -signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

I would not quite agree with that assessment,certainly the first bit of it.

Is rated very highly as a pass protector by most analytic sites.

Not a threat in short yardage goaline situations anymore but as you quite rightly say signed for just above the NFL minimum and a year contract.

Good move in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Patww79 wrote: »

Bollix FB is the most under-rated position in modern football. Its akin to a "special" situational player on off, when you have a truly great FB it can create a psychological flux on the D and also bring a great package play that can question the D at a front level. Watch Kuhn plays v 49ers for some basic creative plays. Plus just for pure brute force on short down situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Reassuring to have Flynn back as replacement QB.

Flynn fits well into McCarthy's offense and with a full pre-season behind him he gives Green Bay a back-up as good as, or better, than most NFL teams.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Reassuring to have Flynn back as replacement QB.

Flynn fits well into McCarthy's offense and with a full pre-season behind him he gives Green Bay a back-up as good as, or better, than most NFL teams.

Will be interesting to see what we do in the draft regarding a QB. There was talk a while back that Thompson was looking at drafting a QB somewhere in the mid to late rounds but that'll surely go by the wayside now that Flynn is resigned and Tolzien is also there as a development QB?

As a backup, we couldn't do much better than Flynn given the scheme etc.

Packers Regular Season Schedule (All times Eastern)
    Week 1: Thursday, Sep. 4, at Seattle, 8:30 PM
    Week 2: Sunday, Sep. 14, NY Jets, 4:25 PM
    Week 3: Sunday, Sep. 21, at Detroit, 1:00 PM
    Week 4: Sunday, Sep. 28, at Chicago, 1:00 PM
    Week 5: Thursday, Oct. 2, Minnesota, 8:25 PM
    Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 12, at Miami, 1:00 PM
    Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 19, Carolina, 1:00 PM
    Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 26, at New Orleans, 8:30 PM
    Week 9: BYE
    Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 9, Chicago, 8:30 PM
    Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 16, Philadelphia, 1:00 PM
    Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 23, at Minnesota, 1:00 PM
    Week 13: Sunday, Nov. 30, New England, 4:25 PM
    Week 14: Monday, Dec. 8, Atlanta, 8:30 PM
    Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 14, at Buffalo, 1:00 PM
    Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 21, at Tampa Bay, 1:00 PM
    Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 28, Detroit, 1:00 PM

Pretty good schedule for us tbh expect at most 4 losses if AR isn injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

In Chicago until October 1st this year. I'm gonna do everything in my power to get a ticket to the week 4 game against the Bears in Soldier Field. That or I'll head north for the Jets game :D

Didn't expect to get Clinton-Dix but happy with that.

Where do people see our next pick coming from?

seiphil wrote: »
    Didn't expect to get Clinton-Dix but happy with that.

Where do people see our next pick coming from?

Happy Haha day everyone! :D

Hopefully he doesn't pick up the watery tackling bug that plagues our defence. Massive to have him and Burnett there now with some good corners.

As for the next pick - BPA from TE, ILB and WR for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Any of Noy, ASJ, Nix, and to lesser extents Bortland or Amaro would be a dream.

My take on our draft...

1 (21). Haha Clinton-Dix: Over the moon about this pick, A+. Going into this draft there was literally almost nobody in the entire draft I wanted more, top 10 picks included (when you factor in need). Obviously I would have taken Mack or Clowney over him but they were not happening for a number of reasons and were not of need. I was certain he was not going to make it near us, but he just kept on slipping... watching the draft from the Rams second pick on was absolutely nerve-jangling, all the way down to the Saints trading in above us despite their quality Vaccaro/Byrd pairing there.

There was debate over Pryor, Ward and Clinton-Dixon and it all came down to need. Personally I rare Haha the highest overall, but the other two are stronger around the box. Thing is, this IS NOT what we needed. Burnett is decent in that SS role, what we needed was someone to take the Nick Collins role of covering the deep ball, and we needed it possibly worse than any team needed to fill any defensive position in the entire league. Say goodbye to being 100% definite that in third and long, we will give up the first down (and always over the middle)!

Also despite the criticism of our secondary, the corners are very good - Shields, Williams (he got a bit better again last year), Hyde, Hayward returning, and though not great House and Bush offer ok depth as the 5th and 6th choices (and Bush is a ST beast, not to be underestimated).

I am generally not a big fan of 40 times and here is why... a good few think he dropped due to timing at 4.58. Who cares? Ed Reed, in my opinion perhaps the best deep zone safety of all time had a 4.57.

A+

• Advertisement

2 (53). Devonte Adams: When this pick came in I was not delighted as I didn't know too much about him, and because I thought other needs were higher (with Rodgers, our passing game will always be dangerous regardless of the WRs). But after looking into it more, I am happier now.

He has been described as both "a poor man's Crabtree" and "James Jones with better hands". He is a bit slow and sometimes struggles with separation, but with our 3, 4 and 5 WR sets I would not worry much at all about that, particularly as Rodgers is as good as anyone ever at spreading the ball around and finding the open man when they get open. Also, he has the knack those two guys to come up with contested balls time and again, and almost never makes those Jones-esque infuriating drops. Oh, and here are his numbers from the last two seasons... 2012: 102 catches, 1312 yards, 14 TD... 2013: 131, 1718, 24 TD!! :eek:

With Rodgers back, Lacy as well and now this guy should make us one of the very, very best teams in the redzone. I am also generally a big fan of a versatile receiving corps, and he very much gives us that. I like Bodmin, but he is just a solid guy who will make some catches, he doesn't have a standout attribute. With Nelson it is his speed and being maybe the best in the league at circus catches by the sidelines, with Cobb it is YAC and having that sneaky a lot ability to get open in tight spaces, and now with Adams much like Jones it is physicality and toughness, again with more steady hands.

I would put this pick at a B+.

Advertisement