Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

3 (85). Khyri Thornton: I am not so sure of this pick, and really wish the Texans had not traded up ahead of us for Nix here. Nix has some red flags that do worry, but I would love to know if we would have gone for Thornton over him or not. Apparently has the build to take over for Pickets or possibly even in the nose, but will need to add more mass before being ready (currently 6'2, 316lbs). His upside is quite big, but he also needs work and some people question if he had the drive to reach it. He is however said to be light on his feet with an absolute tonne of strength that he is good at translating to power right off the snap on his first push. That is something our line could use as Raj has played lazy in recent seasons and while Pickets has been great and still is useful consuming space, he a has lot that initial meant with age.

Unlike some others I don't think our defensive line is that bad at all, it is just very young and has been misused by Capers a good deal. We don't know what will happen with Ray which is why I would have liked someone like Nix and pickets is getting in. However Daniels came on strong last year, and 3-4 DL typically takes a long while to develop in... Datones quiet rookie season does not worry me in the slightest, and Worthy had injuries to deal with.

I would give this pick a C, though I figure it winds up a complete hit or complete miss either way.

3 comp (98). Richard Rodgers: The last time we drafted a guy from Cal called Rodgers it worked out alright. :p

Still, I don't think this was a great pick. It's really weird to see Ted Thompson reach for need, he is usually a BPA type as much as you will find. I do think think he will do much for us to be honest, he doesn't have much explosive speed and isn't known as a smooth route runner or anything. Hopefully I am wrong and Ted Thompson makes everyone look like idiots again, but I see this guy being a very average player and struggling to make it past his second year with us. His dad is the ST coach for the Panthers though, so maybe he can offer something there.

TE is a big need for us at this point. Lee are not the type of team to put players health at risk (see: nick collins) and so I highly doubt Finley will be back, but at this point I really am hoping he gets better and we pick him up on so. Etching cheap and short term. I am higher on Quarless than most, but he is more of a very solid blocker who can make you pay a little for completely ignoring him when he runs so a route.

Otherwise I really hope we pick up someone like Skov as a UDFA or even a guy like Winslow in a 1yr vet minimum deal.

I would give this a D, probably would have been a D- if we didn't have such a huge need. Most had him as a 6th round guy at best from what I understand. I would have liked us to use this pick on someone like Russell Bodice at center or maybe a couple with the versatility to move inside and give depth at S also.

4 (121). Carl Bradford: I like this pick a lot, but not as an OLD where he had so many sacks in college as he doesn't have the length. Expect him to play I'M and to finally give us the effective blitzed that we have been missing since Desmond Bishop. That has been a huge element our defense has been missing... remember, Bishop forced THAT fumble in the Superbowl.

He is a bit undersized, not too much though and it shouldn't be a huge worry as Clay has shown you can overcome that. Also like Clay he has a high, high motor and plays with huge energy on top of having a mean streak. Expect him to cause havoc inside on 3rd and long if the oppositions blockers don't give him enough attention and instead just look to cover the DEs/OLBs at and outside the tackles.

There is no guarantee is makes it, but I am grading this an A. Gives us more energy and meanness in our front 7 along with Thornton, could be of huge importance even as a rookie of 3rd down.

Brad Jones struggled badly this season but I still like him as a guy to rotate around the LB spots so that is another possible added benefit.

4 (161). Corey Linsley: I am not mad on this pick, but it isn't terrible either. He is meant to be slow-ish and weighs a shade 300lbs... But he is strong as a bull with 36 reps, with a max of over 500lbs! Apparently a low ceiling type guy whose skillet is nothing fantastic, but comparisons have been made with Wells and EDS.

An issues I would take is that I would have rather a guard here behind the proven combo of Lang/Sitton, then take a journeyman FA at low cost to compete with Tretter as center, if we weren't going to get one of the top few guys there.

I'll give it a C. Might have been a notch higher if we had retained EDS or had a proven starter ahead of him but he could still be a decent player and if he turns out to be that, he looks a decent fit for our system.

6 (176). Jared Abbrederis: I loved our late WE pickups and it's classic Ted Thompson taking advantage of BPAs in a deep, deep draft of receivers. In other years this guy could have gone as high as the third round. With Adams already taken, I think this is the end of Myles White who wasn't terrible but was definitively "just a guy" again without any standout attribute that I mentioned earlier about Boykin.

His ha d's need work but he at best will be our 4th guy so no big worries there and he has some serious talent to learn from as well as Rodgers throwing to him. He also has a concussion history, which is a legit worry... but the upside is undeniable.

Supposed to be a great character guy, potentially very dangerous in the slot (also helpful in case Cobb wants money we can't afford next year) and should make a big impact as a returner immediately, which in turn allows us to keep Cobb rested for the offense.

A+ absolutely love this pick.

• Advertisement

6 (197). Demeter Goodson: an odd pick, but considering it is right by the 200 mark I kind of like it.

First, the downside... He was a basketball player until very recently, is still very new to the sport and will be a25 year old rookie. If he were 3 or 4 years younger I would be ecstatic with this pick, but there is a huge chance he won't develop. It's quite realistic that he never makes the team, and never even plays and NFL roster in his career. He could easily be a completely wasted pick where a lineman might have helped out (Henderson or Leno Jr) , where we could have taken McCullers for depth at NT (6'7, 352lbs... that guy is huge!) or even a developmental QB like Boyd or further S depth in Dowding.

The upside: he is an athlete, full stop. His measurable were through the roof and if he gets the knack of the position he could be a really, really good NFL player. With Hyde and Hayward we have two great guys inside, so he offers us a bit more outside to go with Shields and Tramon (House is a bit of a tweener to me). With our depth in the secondary we can use him very sparingly and his athleticism could show up well on special teams.

I give this a B-, could be a completely wasted pick but since for a pick right around #200, it doesn't hurt to absolutely swing for the fences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Billy86 wrote: »
    6 (176). Jared Abbrederis: I loved our late WE pickups and it's classic Ted Thompson taking advantage of BPAs in a deep, deep draft of receivers. In other years this guy could have gone as high as the third round. With Adams already taken, I think this is the end of Myles White who wasn't terrible but was definitively "just a guy" again without any standout attribute that I mentioned earlier about Boykin.

His ha d's need work but he at best will be our 4th guy so no big worries there and he has some serious talent to learn from as well as Rodgers throwing to him. He also has a concussion history, which is a legit worry... but the upside is undeniable.

Supposed to be a great character guy, potentially very dangerous in the slot (also helpful in case Cobb wants money we can't afford next year) and should make a big impact as a returner immediately, which in turn allows us to keep Cobb rested for the offense.

A+ absolutely love this pick.

First let me say good write up as I haven't had a chance to follow the draft with whats happened in KK this week so this break down is much appreciated. Make no mistake packers will not let cobb walk!

7 (236). Jeff Janis: Well... we look loaded at receiver again. Janis, Jared, Adams, Cobb and Nelson. Also White and Boykin, though the former is surely gone and the latter will be in a real struggle to keep his roster spot too. Incredible, and another fantastic value pick late on for TT with a player that in other seasons would have gone far earlier.

Cobb and Nelsons contracts are both up last year, Jared was great insurance for the former and Janis could be for the latter in case they go looking for more money than we can give. It also offsets our weakness at TE somewhat.

He did play in a weak conference in college buys the second day all time receiver there with 4,305 yards, last season had 83 catches for 1,573 yards (nearly 20 per catch!) and 14 TDs. He also has 103 for 1635 and 17 on 2012 and despite the lower conference he plays in got invited to this year's Senior Bowl. He has drawn comparisons to Bill Schroeder and Jordy Nelson, and at 6'3, 220lbs is also extremely quick, with a 4.42 40.

Due to lower level he played at in college and our depth at WR he might have a tough time making the roster, but for pick #236 he still has a solid chance and the upside is very noticeable. Don't expect much from him as a rookie at all as he will also need some time to acclimatise to such a higher level of opposition even if he does make the 53, but he has massive upside. To be honest, my biggest worry is exactly what it was with Charles Johnson deep in the 7th last year... if he doesn't make the 53, we almost definitely won't be able to keep him on the practice squad.

A-, the only criticism I have here is that we could have jumped for a versatile offensive lineman, big body NT or perhaps rangy safety or de elopement QB type (though I really like Matt Flynn as backup in our system), but there is good foresight to this and Jareds picks this year with Cobb and Nelson in contract years, and the value for them is brilliant. Should help offset our TE weakness somewhat.

Overall grade: A-

First, the negatives:
    - We didn't get the TE we desperately need, but there was no point in taking Amaro or Ask in the first or Fiedorwicz in the second so no real complaints... Still, Rodgers was a poor reach in my opinion. We should have looked to get someone in the 6th or 7th like him or Skov because the drop off was huge after the top guys. We could have, and I hope we still do, supplement this with a 1yr cheap deal for a Kellen Winslow or Dustin Keller. Or in a perfect world, Finley if he recovers. But we do need something more than what we have, much as I like Quarley as a #2.

- We addressed the wrong OR position. Just my opinion and Linsley does seem like an OK guy who could fit our system but with proven and experienced guys at guard and (essentially) a rookie in Tretter who has never taken an NFL snap I would have preferred a rookie at guard and average, cheap journeyman at C (yes, even if that led to another Saturday situation, though preferably not someone as old). Not a major complaint, just a minor gripe. Maybe Barclay might be rotated at guard if Sherrod is fit and ready to back up at T?

- I would have liked a big body insurance type for Raj, like a mix or later on McCullers. Thornton strikes me as more of a Pickett than a Raj. Thornton and McCullers would have been a handy duo. Mind you, I completely forgot we signed Leroy Guion so it might not be too much of an issue.

Now, the positives:
    - WE HAVE A DEEP ZONE SAFETY!!! Not only that but the best guy in the draft for it. He was my number 1 guy for us in the entire draft, none of the other safeties filled our need deep in the backfield at all in my opinion... And we got him. Happiest I have been about any pick of ours in years. Incredible, and after Bridgewater perhaps the best value-meets-need pick in the entire draft.

- Those three receivers. Our James Jones replacement (with better hands), and our Cobb and Nelson insurance all with great value, the latter two especially. Expect Adams and Jared to make some waves immediately, and I really hope we Janis gets the 5th/6th spot as he could be a quality player by his 2nd or 3rd year. If you had told me we would get 3 Was before the Draft, I would not have been too happy about it, but the value with the latter two completely chances my outlook. Elated.

- Bradford. He looks like he could be the next Des Bishop at ILB for us, something that a lot of people overlook us as missing badly since he left. He also gives us more attitude and motor to accompany CMIII in our LBs. Anyone who remembers Bishop will remember his aggression, and even though it caused him to over commit at times, it was hugely valuable and blogs been missed a lot. I only expect to see much of him on 3rd down and with big leads (eg. passing plays) as a rookie, but he should be a big help there.

- We addressed nearly all of our needs at least adequately outside of guard and TE. If we can get a Winslow/Keller on a cheap, short contract and maybe something similar at interior OL this will have been a fantastic off season.

Now let's pray Capers doesn't f*** it all up on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Nice write ups Billy. Going to have a look at all the drafted players in the next day or so. Watched some of the Carl Bradford tape, was very impressed.

Oh and another draft we pick up a 'hybrid' DE.. they just can't help themselves! :pac:

• Advertisement

For what's it's worth as I understand it he is not the same type of 'hybrid' as he is more 3 tech than 5 tech (eg. He lines up between the tackle and guard like Pickett, not the tackle and TE like Daniels, Jones or also like Pickett used to) which is something we need or will need as Pickett is old now and Jolly is having health problems. Basically a 3 tech is stockier and uses brute force whereas a 5 tech uses more technique and athleticism.

At 6'3, 304 he will need to add more bulk but rookie defensive linemen are nearly always undersized (which is why I get such a laugh out of people writing rookie DLinemen off), but the brute force and mean streak are apparently there, so he could be useful.

Also when I was mentioning Skov at TE I meant Colt Lyerla... didn't get much sleep this weekend with the draft. :p

Thanks for the analysis Billy.

Am a complete novice when it comes to the merits of players in the draft.

Colt has questions over him.....could be epic, could literally snort it all up his nose

We've given him a tryout. Personally I think it'd be a great fit - for him and us. If he can't stay out of trouble in Green Bay, then he's not going to stay out of it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Seen a few of his videos, seems like an absolute monster.

I am seriously excited about this. He does have massive off field issues and there is a strong chance he never even makes it to the preseason. That said, on ability alone he was probably a top 3 TE in the whole draft... on just that, he is borderline first round quality.

GB is also a perfect landing ground for him... a small town without much temptation that New York or the likes would bring, and a very tight knit community spirit around the team (quite sure I have read Woodson saying how he loved that he could do the weekly shopping and barely be bothered by locals at all for photos, autographs, etc). On that note, there is a brilliant structure too... all but Peppers, Guido, Kuhn and Pickett are Ted Thompson's drafted "guys" and the latter two might as well be at this point. McCarthy has a lax air about him, but actually has a reputation for being very stern when needs be, and we have had a few guys with bad reps do well here. Quarless had issues in college that let him slip to late in the 5th, Woodson of all people only went to GO (begrudgingly at first) because no other teams would touch him at the time despite his HOF talents, Johnny jolly has had obvious issues but has always showed up to play (he was great in 2010) and there are a few others as well.

Lyerla doesn't come over to me as being a 'bad guy' like Hernandez, but more troubled and perhaps stupid with regards to sense. He apparently had a very troubled family situation growing up, and don't forget he only turned 21 in November, which was after all of this had happened.

Like I said, there is a great chance he never even makes the team and he does have a huge uphill battle, but where better to try and fix those issues than in a rural town with a lower population than Clare or Waterford, under an extremely stable management structure that the whole team has fully bought into for nearly a decade, with a number of exemplary model pros on one of the very best offenses to guide him (Sitton, Kuhn, Jordan for a start). Oh yeah, and with the possibility of getting some playing time right away and possibly even the starting spot by the end of the year due to our weakness at the position, with the best QB in the game throwing to him.

He is the #1 guy I will be hoping can make our first team from all the fringe players this off season, and by a mile too. If you thought I was exaggerating the 'borderline first round talent' stuff, check this out... and do remember that the guy is about 6'4, 240.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Lyerla upon receiving the news:

FPIZllL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So TT rolls the die on Lyerla.

Finley getting medical clearance would be an interesting complication.

If some of the WRs pan out the offence would be lethal, if it wasn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

i think thats a dodgy signing by ye but to be fair ye are one of the better equipped franchises to deal with the likes of him and he could fill a need well so best of luck. do ye know what his contract is presumably ye can cut him for next to nothing

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    i think thats a dodgy signing by ye but to be fair ye are one of the better equipped franchises to deal with the likes of him and he could fill a need well so best of luck. do ye know what his contract is presumably ye can cut him for next to nothing

Think it's a no lose situation in that it's one of the stronger dressing rooms in the NFL so if he acts out, then it'll be a case of him being cut immediately. If he looks for help there'll be no shortage of it as evidenced about what we've done with Jolly. There's every chance he can compete for the TE spot this year or next.

I've no idea of the contract details but you'd be looking at a very miniscule UDFA contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Deise Packers

Well lads what do you think of our chances this year? Think we have to rate a decent shot for the NFC IF the defence can improve even a little. Bend dont break as such. Prob as good as it gets with Capers. With Lacy now and if Rodgers stays healthy the Offense is probably the best in the conference if not the NFL. If team,s can be held to even 20 or so points we can usually outscore that. Too big an ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

A lot of it hinges on the secondary and the health of Matthews. If Heyward can come back and play like he did before the injury and Clinton-Dix is solid as a rookie then it will really help out. Then if Matthews stays fit, him and Peppers could be a handful for other teams. Last year I was never confident they'd stop the offence on third down or in the red-zone. I just took it as pretty much given that it would be completed. I'm optimistic it won't be the same this year with some of the additions.

mrcotter78 wrote: »
    its looking good for the 69ers this year they very good in their attack

Yeah those green bay packers 69rs/49rs are awesome.....

Franklins neck injury has forced him to retire after 1 season

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Gutted for him. Thought he made a good impact when he played.

Was away for the last while but on Franklin - thought he was going to be a breakout player this year. Really felt he had some great attributes to make him a good squad player for us. Last years Bengals game showed what he could do and although he fumbled at an important time, he was excellent that day when Lacy went down.

Lyeria mustn be doing too much in ota's haven't seen a mention of him anywhere or am I missing something??

Jordy Nelson has signed new 4 year contract - 39m with 14m guaranteed.

Big contract but great to get it done. He and Rodgers are unrivalled in terms of being on the same wavelength every single play.

Apparently he got a great reception when news broke out at practice with almost everyone running up to congratulate him.

• Advertisement

Tbh i dont consider it a big contract. His last 4 year contract was worth less than 15 million we got the best deal out of any non rookie reciever in the league and this contract is probably got a bit of hometown discount too

Advertisement