Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Tough game where the heat prob got to us a bit. Fake spike was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Tough game where the heat prob got to us a bit. Fake spike was awesome

Only got to watch the full game yesterday.. what a finish! And the fake spike was brilliant - and smart play by Adams to stay outside rather than try finish it inside. Sickened I wasn't watching it live Sunday evening now. Rodgers ability to produce under pressure is unreal. Was listening to Rodgers on the Dan Patrick show earlier in the week and he was saying that Adams himself didn't really know about the fake spike play and that he'd only run through it in practice with Cobb before.

Great to see Davante Adams get more looks his way and receptions. Looks like he's really stepping into the role left by Jennings/Jones as the third receiver in our set (that's not to say they were ever the 3rd choice WR).

Good news on the injury front too - Tretter is back so we now have some depth at center for the first time in a long time. Our o-line looked under pressure but to be fair the Dolphins pass rush was very good and their run stop was also solid throughout. Lacy was barely able to make any yards bulldozing up the middle and when we went to the outside we were getting hammered behind the line.

Brad Jones gave up two big plays that I can remember including one big missed tackle that led to a Dolphins first down and subsequent score - so it's good to see Lattimore is good to go again. I'd have Lattimore ahead of Jones any day. AJ Hawk was fairly anonymous again but I nearly expect it now at this stage.

Downside is our starting corners haven't practiced this week but even if one of them doesn't make it then Hayward or House are more than capable. Looks like our defense is going live and die by turnovers again this year - if we get them we're in with a shot, if we don't then we're going to be in bother. Either way we're going to give up a lot of yardage to teams - especially so if they run read option plays like the Dolphins did a couple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Had an awful premunition last night that the Packers would get the third seed this year and the Cowboys would be the 6th seed, that would not end well considering our run defence!!

Think it's fairly important (stating the obvious I guess) that we get either the 1st or 2nd seeds this year. I don't think we'd go into a Seattle, San Fran or Dallas and be able to dominate the way we could at home. I just wouldn't be able to stand it if San Fran knocked us out again! We've been done by them twice and the Cardinals in that wild shootout too, the NFC West should entirely be avoided if possible! ;)

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Had an awful premunition last night that the Packers would get the third seed this year and the Cowboys would be the 6th seed, that would not end well considering our run defence!!

Think it's fairly important (stating the obvious I guess) that we get either the 1st or 2nd seeds this year. I don't think we'd go into a Seattle, San Fran or Dallas and be able to dominate the way we could at home. I just wouldn't be able to stand it if San Fran knocked us out again! We've been done by them twice and the Cardinals in that wild shootout too, the NFC West should entirely be avoided if possible! ;)

Relax, december hasn even been so they havent crashed to 8-8 yet

Ha fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Unlike yourselves, who have clearly already made the playoffs going by this conversation.

Unlike yourselves, who have clearly already made the playoffs going by this conversation.

Ah stop taking it so seriously, a light hearted conversation above there. I thought my winky face indicated as much ha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Ah stop taking it so seriously, a light hearted conversation above there. I thought my winky face indicated as much ha! :D

I know, I was just looking for trouble with the cheeseheads

Lol there is no Cowboy fan that doesn know the december slump over the last few years. Same way we have a defensive slump for the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, and the Bears with that Cutler slump of theirs.

BOO-YAH!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Shame about Sunday night... Was such a good game in the 1st half! I ended up going to bed and figured I'd watch the Packers steam through the 2nd the next day... Hopefully the bye week will be a chance for Rogers to recover and get back into the groove.

Derek Sherrod is cut! Cause for celebration? Tretter is reactivated and looks likely to cover C and T if necessary.

Definitely good news, but I hope one of Tretter or Lane Johnson can cover a tackle position if Bulaga goes down again. I reckon we will likely be committing a 3rd or even 2nd round pick there in the draft now (first has to be ILB or NT if the right guy is there).

McCarthy also signed an unspecified "multi year" extension which I am happy with... but will be raging over if it means Capers gets to stick around.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Definitely good news, but I hope one of Tretter or Lane Johnson can cover a tackle position if Bulaga goes down again. I reckon we will likely be committing a 3rd or even 2nd round pick there in the draft now (first has to be ILB or NT if the right guy is there).

McCarthy also signed an unspecified "multi year" extension which I am happy with... but will be raging over if it means Capers gets to stick around.

Jesus christ I ****ing hate capers

When did we sign Lane Johnson and why hasn't he been playing? :pac:

When did we sign Lane Johnson and why hasn't he been playing? :pac:

The late games tend to scramble my brain somewhere around midseason. :o

Lane Taylor, but maybe we can get him to legally change his name and pull the old switcheroo on the 16th against the Eagles when no-one is looking? If anyone can do it, it's Ted! They don't call him the White Wizard for nothing. ;)

The late games tend to scramble my brain somewhere around midseason. :o

Lane Taylor, but maybe we can get him to legally change his name and pull the old switcheroo on the 16th against the Eagles when no-one is looking? If anyone can do it, it's Ted! They don't call him the White Wizard for nothing. ;)
    something we should know billy?
    Ku_Klux_Klan_Virgina_1922_Parade.jpg

Rodgers... Nelson... Bakhtiari/Sitton/Lang/Bulaga/Linsley... Kuhn (*ahem!*)... Flynn and Tolzien holding those clipboards and Jeff Janis in waiting. And now we've cut a black guy to bring another white guy back into the fold. I'm not saying anything here, but name me another team with a white QB, white #1 receiver, white FB and a FULLY white offensive line from LT to RT (as well as the primary interior backup). Even most of our black guys have white-guy-names like Eddie Lacy and Richard Rodgers. And just you wait til we get Don Barclay back and if Colt Lyerla returns!

That said, it certainly helps back up the switcheroo plan against the Eagles...

White Wizard indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

great to see McCarty getting an extension. I really like him, got a Green Bay app for phone and his interviews are really good. Also he seems to getting a bit more ruthless on O-Line, thank god, with newhouse and Sherrod now cut. If he can just tell Capers to f**k off, we will be sorted. Also can I request billy86 to start up his weekly post match analysis. They were great and sadly missing the last couple of games. go pack go.

Cheers for that! I'll try to get back to it next week, was in Woolshed for the dolphins game so was only able to catch bits on my phone on gamepass, got a little hammered watching the Panthers game in a friends so had a blurry memory, and while there's usually more to take from losses than wins I reckon after the Saints game I was in no.. Fcuking... Mood. :p

I just felt from the Bears, Vikings and Panthers games there was nothing to really take - good wins but against God awful teams (Vikings had Ponder remember, other two are in free fall). Linsley and Haha's improvement, and Bakh stepping up to another level entirely from where he was last season have been the biggest bonuses for me in the last month. Also Pennel getting more snaps and Janis getting some junk them catches. Not so much Adams - he's been good, but he is a Ted Thompson second round WR, hence he was automatically the safest WR to translate to the NFL. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Well that was some first half!

I watched the first 1/4 before leaving for work.
    I'm going to enjoy the 2nd Q..... 28 points!

no need for the summary billy, pathetic bears display. pack defence let them score a td, and special teams didn try and stop a 101 kick return

no need for the summary billy, pathetic bears display. pack defence let them score a td, and special teams didn try and stop a 101 kick return

agreed. But what did you think of Matthews as inside LB, he was ok but again the bears are pants, god they really miss urlacher's leadership.

bears were pants but stopping matt forte is still a good job even when bears are pants. would like to see him there more against big run teams. the guy just seems to be if he wanted to play qb he could

Quick summary because as raze them all said, it was such a walkover. Few noteworthy things though.

1. As mentioned, Matthews inside. I've heard some talk about it before, especially got Peppers and Christ we have to do that more often. Barrington and Lattimore as well as Hawk are OK inside but none of them offer a lot of impact. Collinsworth did a brilliant job talking about the impact he had - we lose a little at times he has to drop in coverage, but his reactions are so good that he can be very handy there on 3rd and 10. We all remember last season when 3rd and 10 meant "slant play over the middle, first down" pretty much automatically - with Matthews that's a lot, lot harder to do and he made a number of stops in exactly that situation. He also has the reactions, movement and speed to get to the outside - left or right - right away like we used to see Urlacher do to us time and again. I'm not saying play him there every down, but he has to be played there quite a bit from now on even though it will hurt his stats a bit (who cares!?) and especially since Peppers and even Perry have been contributing to the pass rush, as well as Mike Daniels off the line. Makes us a much, much harder defence to read which is a key part of Capers/Lebeau's 3-4 style of play. Still can't stand Capers, but if his system is to have ANY hope of "doing just enough" this year it needs to include Matthews inside quite a bit.

2. Sitton and Lang. I had said in a few threads I was worried about this game if these two were out because Lane Taylor is a UDFA rookie and Tretter is a 6th rounder and for all intents and purposes, also a rookie. These two played really well considering they had injured toes (sounds silly, but like a thumb/finger for a QB it can have a huge effect on a lineman's play). EDIT: They each had a really good game. Also nice to see Collinsworth and Michaels giving them their due, Sitton gets recognition but Lang is very underrated, the lesser of the two but a very, very solid guard especially in pass protection.

3. The rest of the line... I'm really starting to like this unit! Bulaga needs to stay fit obviously, but I've always liked his overall play especially as a RT. Bakhtiari (apparently a wizard at FIFA :pac: ) keeps improving week on week and is on his way to being a borderline pro bowler in my opinion. Linsley simply does not look like a rookie out there, is a fat little monster of a fella, and like Bakh keeps improving, noticeably, each and every game. This unit also has the opportunity to grow and grow and continue to improve together which is really exciting, especially with Lacy and Rodgers behind them. Sitton is the oldest of the lot and he only went 28 in June! Lang is 27, Bulaga 25, and Bakhtiari and Linsley are both 23 - and none of them have a birthday coming up until March (Bulaga), with the rest from June-September. That's a group that, if the contracts work out and barring injuries (where Bulaga is the only real worry, touch wood) could stay together for 5-8 years which works out about perfect for most of the rest of Rodgers' career (31 in December), and all through Lacy's best years too (turned 24 in June). If these guys played anywhere but the unglamorous offensive line spots, this would be getting a lot more attention - it really excites me going forward. Say what you will about the Bears defensive line, but our offensive line played very well yesterday.

4. Line depth. Good and bad here - if anyone gets injured we could be in trouble. We picked up Jamon Meredith in the last week, who is a 28 year old journeyman that we drafted originally in 2009 - nothing special at all and a stop gap (we're his 7th team in 6 years, 8th if you include his original stint here) but at least he gives some experience. After that we have 24 year old rookie Taylor and 23 year old "basically a rookie" Tretter as backups inside which could be good for longevity, but if Sitton broke his ankle next week could easily leave us in a real spot of bother. There is also 26 year old Garth Gerhart inside, but he seems like more a a special teams/53rd man type of guy to make up numbers. Next year we will also have Don Barclay back to take one of Gerhart/Meredith's spots, a 25 year old UDFA from 2012 - hopefully the injury hasn't effected him too much because I liked him as a backup/depth option in case Bulaga goes down again. I like that in the draft all we need to do is look at maybe one mid/late round tackle for depth.

5. Eddie Lacy in the passing game. Everyone loves Luc... errr, Lacy, but I was one of the people a bit worried about how his style of play would mesh with Rodgers and our explosive offensive as opposed to last year when we were grinding yards through him without a passing game. The first few weeks of the season were very concerning in this sense (especially running him out of the damn shotgun!) but it looks like we've figured out how to get his strengths out of him. Big threat and great option to have Rodgers able to audible into in a singleback setup, and he's proving a phenomenal dump off option underneath with Cobb, Nelson and co getting deep down the field. That TD catch/run of his was a thing of beauty - it was like something you usually the Steelers traditionally run, the vision from Lacy was quality but more noticeably the blocking was exceptional. If there is one criticism of our offense it is that at times it lacks physicality and aggression - we saw a tonne of it on that play, and it's something extra for teams to worry about going forward.

6. DuJuan Harris - love this guy, always happy to see him get carries (even if it loses me a bet I had on Lacy to get 69+ rushing yards, bah!). He isn't reliable to be a 20 carry type but he's a good small, slippery back who runs with a lot of power for his size - reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw in how he plays. He's a good guy to bring in against tired defences

7. I wanted to see some of Jeff Janis. :(

8. Rodgers is a retard... he only managed 6 TDs in 7 possession during the first half. Unacceptable, he'll never be one of the best at that rate. :p

8. Rodgers is a retard... he only managed 6 TDs in 7 possession during the first half. Unacceptable, he'll never be one of the best at that rate. :p

Not a clutch player, doesn't win enough games

Correction sorry, that was 6 TDs in 6 possessions in the first half. The 7th possession was early in the 3rd quarter where we got a FG rather than going for it on 4th and goal on their one yard line. Six touchdowns in one half, only the second person to ever do it, but he didn't even have 25 pass attempts! Clearly just not good enough.

One stat I loved last night was that we have only 5 free agents(lowest in league) and the bears have 31 and I'm just delighted AR is our QB even though the statisticians aren't happy with him :)

One I saw was Matt Forte having a 3.2 ypc average - that was nice given how he murdered us in the first game, and how the Saints did as well last week.

• Advertisement

I am quite the fan of Ha Ha, i really hope one day there is something like this of him

Advertisement