Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

delighted with the game, we can blast you in the air nut if needs be we man up in the trenches

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

The Pack is looking improved but are still capable of choking away their opportunity. The remaining schedule is tough enough and they hold the future totally in their hands. The Pats are also on a roll, Brady is really quick, strong and dead on. This should be a real shoot out. If the Pack can beat Brady, even in Green Bay it will say a lot about being Superbowl contenders vs just having another decent year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Our away games are at Tampa Bay which we should win easily and Buffalo who we also should beat without much hassle so long as we can keep their pass rush at bay enough (and Lacy plus our much improved offensive line will help there - can't wait to see how they hold up wit that test. Detroit I'm week 17 should worry me but for some reason don't all too much, and I reckon Atlanta has another 45+ to 20-sonething result written all over it. New England is the big, big test... win that and at worst I see us finishing 12-4 (key injuries notwithstanding of course) and would wager going 13-3.

Still you never know with the NFL, but Arizona have some tricky matches left (KC, @SF, and to a lesser extent @SEA and @STL whose pass rush has really kicked into gear lately and who love to cause NFC West upsets)... getting top seed is very doable for us if we can get a win Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Just put in an order for my first Green Bay Jersey....... And Im playing the GB DEF aganist NE this week in my fantasy team! (As well as Rodgers). Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Really looking forward to this game.

If we believe all the hype about the Patriots, then we should finally get to find out who the Packers really are.
    Are they the unstoppable offensive juggernaut with an improving defense?
    Or are a they a mostly one dimensional offense, with a soft defense that can't stop the run?

A win for Packers will grow their confidence and propel them to the SB.
    A loss will knock them, but they've had their confidence knocked already this year.
    With a loss, they'll probably still be good enough to reach the NFC Championship game.

A win for the Patriots will show that they are not just hype.
    That they are not just another Patriot team that does really well throughout the season, but lack the goods to deliver against a turbo NFC side in the big matchup.
    That this Patriot team is destined to win the Lombardi trophy.

A loss for the Patriots will knock their confidence, and at this late point in the season for a team that's been winning everything, that could be a tragic undoing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Idon't really agree that is aparticularly vital game for either team unless it's a blow out, which it won't be. We know that both teams will be in the playoffs, and idon't think that you could reasonably claim at this stage that either team us overrated or all hype. Wouldn't surprise me if the superbowl was between them, so it will be agreat game to watch, ice no doubt. But losing this will absolutely not dent the confidence of either team. I'm expecting something pretty high scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

So after last nights pleasing win, would you now consider GB the NFC favourites?

I think the seahawks home or away will take some beating, so I'd have GB as 2nd favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Have to give credit where credit is due. Our defence has been really good this year! Still not perfect but making a lot of big plays!

On the game last night. Nervous stuff but as Rodgers said the whole team played their part in that win. Brilliant stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Haha is really coming into his own - peppers is a definate upgrade on defense - moving clay into the middle has helped us against the run! still be worried about a better running team - i.e. seahawks - would like to avoid a team like them but hopefully win the league and get home field advantage! rodgers was immense last night - controlled everything - and with nelson cobb adams rodgers and lacy all playing well - its one of the strongest offenses at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

So after last nights pleasing win, would you now consider GB the NFC favourites?

I think the seahawks home or away will take some beating, so I'd have GB as 2nd favourites.

GB are defo NFC favs now. Seattle at home isn't as daunting a prospect as in Seattle and going to Green Bay is arguably just as tough. If the #1 seed goes via Lambeau and I suspect it will then there is no way you can argue against the Pack being the NFC favs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

D3PO wrote: »
    GB are defo NFC favs now. Seattle at home isn't as daunting a prospect as in Seattle and going to Green Bay is arguably just as tough. If the #1 seed goes via Lambeau and I suspect it will then there is no way you can argue against the Pack being the NFC favs

That's key for me. Can't overstate the importance of making Seattle come to Lambeau rather than us go there. Centurylink is nuts at any time of the season but especially so during the playoffs. And we struggled to deal with the noise in the season opener this year IIRC.

Was impressed with how we played yesterday though. More so the guys who you always wonder about whether they can step up against teams like the Pats. I mean you know that the likes of Peppers, Matthews, Rodgers and co will always be key but the likes of Daniels, Neal, Haha and Adams are proving themselves as proper players in their own right.

The offensive line was awesome again and Linsey is the find of the season for us at center. The Pats secondary played brilliantly at times and teams like Seattle and Arizona will play another level above that again, but if Rodgers gets that time in the pocket every game then he will be unplayable.

arizona wont do **** without palmer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

arizona wont do **** without palmer

Agree, but was speaking in terms of their secondary.

Agree, but was speaking in terms of their secondary.

It wont matter how good they are when facing our o after constant 3 and outs!!

Idon't really agree that is aparticularly vital game for either team unless it's a blow out, which it won't be. We know that both teams will be in the playoffs, and idon't think that you could reasonably claim at this stage that either team us overrated or all hype. Wouldn't surprise me if the superbowl was between them, so it will be agreat game to watch, ice no doubt. But losing this will absolutely not dent the confidence of either team. I'm expecting something pretty high scoring.

I disagree. In the post game interview McCarthy and each player spoke of growing confidence after this win. That this win gains confidence.
    You can nearly see it in the Packer D.

On the other side, it's the first loss the Pat's have had for ages, it has to dent them.
    If it hasn't dented the team's confidence, it certainly has their fans and sports writers.

jman0war wrote: »
    I disagree. In the post game interview McCarthy and each player spoke of growing confidence after this win. That this win gains confidence.

On the other side, it's the first loss the Pat's have had for ages, it has to dent them.
    If it hasn't dented the team's confidence, it certainly has their fans and sports writers.

I agree with the first part, nobody would question that it helps the Packers confidence. But the latter half? Not a hope in hell that the Patriots are in any way whatsoever fazed by losing a road game to a top team. They know what they're capable of. Some fans might lose confidence but, really, who cares what the fans think ultimately? And the sports writers make their money by having strong opinions, the more negative the better. I said it before the game and I'm saying it still: I think these two teams will contest the Superbowl, and if they do, Sunday's game won't make a lick of difference to either team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I dont think it has either. You can see most of the Pats fans on here alone arent overly fazed by the loss. We were competetive in a game and could have won had Gronk held onto a touchdown pass. We had way less of the ball, and still managed to be right there at the end, on the road, at the top NFC team. If the Pats had to have been hammered, then yes, it would have dented them, but I havent heard any media or fans proclaim that we are done.

I think this game in the long run makes very little difference. It would obviously be good to win for confidence, but a loss is not the end of the world either. Lets hope we meet again in February!

Another thing to consider that is different with NE to most (all?) teams is their resolve - if the Packers take a tough loss, it has in the past seen the defense switch off for a good while after even though Rodgers and McCarthy don't get phased on the offensive side of the ball. The Patriots though have Brady on one side and Belichick on the other, which is an absolutely huge bonus compared to just about any other team.

Yeah well, tell that to Eirc Wilbur, a sports columnist for boston.com
    He was saying the Patriots would run all over the Packers, scoring at will.

Not to mention some Pats fans trolling Packer forums.
    41-21 was the going to be the score, apparently.

dont base all your opinions on an idiot "journalist" and trolls.

The fact you mention Wilbur, and he is the one who says the Patriots intentionally lost so as not to give away their plays for the superbowl rematch says about all you need to know about how much he thinks the loss is a dent.

If you really think that this loss was so devastating that it will end the Patriots season, then so be it.

• Advertisement

Meh, the Patriots are just unfortunate and/or victims of their own success in that they have arguably the biggest collection of a**eholes in their fanbase in the whole league (in close contention with the Eagles).

There are a few reasons for that actually that Katie Nolan brought up on the Packers Transplants podcast last week (she presents an NFL comedy type show called 'No Filter', very funny and very hot by chance!) that obviously it is partly to do with a prolonged period of success, but also has to do with there being a lot of colleges in that part of the US. So in the last 12-15 years you've got a bunch of "Patriots fans" emerging because they go to college there and reckon that justifies their reasoning to pretend they never supported what ever less successful team they did beforehand, and another bunch who might have gone to college there in the 80s and 90s who only brought it up and became "fans" once Brady came around. That type of fan by no coincidence also happens to feel the need to shout the loudest and act the eejit, because they really just want to get noticed more than to actually support the team they claim to.

They've also got Skip Bayless' tongue in their collective anus, and that is going to make any team unlikeable, no matter what. I've been enjoying listening to the Eamon Dunphy syle "shock jocks" they have several of over there who were claiming blow out doing everything from weaseling out of talking about it, to spewing angry bile, to making every excuse under the sun as to why the Packers were "lucky" on the day. :pac:

Luckily on boards they're pretty much a good bunch down to the last one, though. :)

Billy86 wrote: »
    Katie Nolan...very funny and very hot

I owe you a pint some day, you've introduced me to the future Mrs. Realt Dearg Sec today.

Ach, I think of all organisations the two that would be least inclined to get too rattleded by a loss are the two that met last Sunday. It's just that they've both seen it all, well established backrooms, very little of the circus about either. As typified by Rodgers now famous "relax" message to the fans when we were 1-2. Sure the supporters and the media will blow it up a little, and I guess that can add to the pressure so it becomes a small bit of a self fulfilling prophesy, I wouldn't see either organisation getting that phased.

bruschi wrote: »
    If you really think that this loss was so devastating that it will end the Patriots season, then so be it.
    Is that what i said?

Billy86 wrote: »
    I've been enjoying listening to the Eamon Dunphy syle "shock jocks" they have several of over there who were claiming blow out doing everything from weaseling out of talking about it, to spewing angry bile, to making every excuse under the sun as to why the Packers were "lucky" on the day. :pac:

Luckily on boards they're pretty much a good bunch down to the last one, though. :)

If you are interested in a balanced view from patriots media, you could do worse than the PFW podcast. They generally call it as it is, and the phone in with a range of fans from the defeatist to the ass licker are all there.

Nice save at the end there too...;)

I see the only truely elite qb in the league led another 4th quarter comeback last night meanwwhile watch tonight as our ****ty "qb" throws 0tds and 49ints so he doesn't get the best td : int record through 100 starts in nfl history. We may aswell see if we can get a 6th round pick for him this off season. Matt flynn is the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I see the only truely elite qb in the league led another 4th quarter comeback last night meanwwhile watch tonight as our ****ty "qb" throws 0tds and 49ints so he doesn't get the best td : int record through 100 starts in nfl history. We may aswell see if we can get a 6th round pick for him this off season. Matt flynn is the future

You should stop fixating on Andrew Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Really enjoyed the Patriots game last week, it was always going to be close and the win was nice. Baffling why they didn't run in down our throats. I really expected them to run as much as they passed. I was lurking in the Pats thread and a lot of the lads there seemed bemused by their game plan. So if there is a rematch next February, it looks like McDaniel's will be doing his bit to help us.:pac:

Really enjoyed the Patriots game last week, it was always going to be close and the win was nice. Baffling why they didn't run in down our throats. I really expected them to run as much as they passed. I was lurking in the Pats thread and a lot of the lads there seemed bemused by their game plan. So if there is a rematch next February, it looks like McDaniel's will be doing his bit to help us.:pac:

Qb dick measuring. If you dont thing brady wanted to smash rodgers his way in their first full game vs each other yer mad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Qb dick measuring. If you dont thing brady wanted to smash rodgers his way in their first full game vs each other yer mad

I don't think either have anything to prove so I don't think so. I was looking forward to the game all year and pregame I was reading a lot of Pats media sources. Read one interview where Brady said he loves when they run the ball well. Said he prefers nothing more than handing the ball off, because it's takes the pressure of him and is less riskier than passing it. I expected them to run it maybe 30 - 30+ times against our crap run defense. Baffled why they didn't and I'm glad that McDaniel's tried to be too clever for his own good.

Advertisement