Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

e053363cc36bb19f7b8b6aee32f44e565d969ac4a8bb7427e72e55d95f27155a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Great win, Rodgers is a magician. Delighted with how the run defense is holding up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

I think the score line actually flatters Kansas, they only got goin after we took our foot off the pedal. Rodgers is in a world of his own at the moment & Raji really looks locked in. Onto SF next week and what should be 4-0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

can someone advise what is a 'hard count' & why is Rodgers is terrific at it?

• Advertisement

can someone advise what is a 'hard count' & why is Rodgers is terrific at it?

Basically trying to make the defence jump too early by waiting a long time to snap the ball. It basically gives him a free play which he usually ruthlessly takes advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Basically trying to make the defence jump too early by waiting a long time to snap the ball. It basically gives him a free play which he usually ruthlessly takes advantage of.

The D can see the play-clock too though.

Surely simply waiting the full 30-secs or so wouldn't be enough to make the defender jump off side.

there seems to be something Rodgers shouts.... I know its always "Green 18".... is there something in that that triggers the snap & fools defenders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

When he makes the shout to snap the ball, it is essentially how convincing he is at it. All the other stuff Rodgers does presnap is important to this in confusing defenders - calling audibles, hot routes, fake routes, fake audibles (apparently about 70% of what he says presynaptic is bullsh*t to try and trick the defenders) etc etc. Then defenders want to get moving the exact split second the ball is snapped to get a better chance of beating their blocker, which all of this complicates and the ferocity with which Rodgers roars his hard counts (fake call for the snap) often leads players to jump too early,drawing the flag.

He absolutely killed Michael Bennett with it against Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

which is why against the bears there was a lot of calls against the o line for moving their feet before the snap - o line has played much better against seahawks and chiefs and everyone seems to be on the same page - its not even the penalty that rodgers is looking for its the free play that he gets!! He is unbelievable in the pocket at the moment - just always seems to step up and then has his pick of passes or runs himself!

Considering we have so many injuries and a lack of a clear elite mlb and uncertainty at CB our defense is holding up well! Raji has been immese - in fairness the whole d line has been agressive since the 1st game!!

To think that Cobb will only get fitter - Lacy & Adams to get fitter too - Richard Rodgers improves for me every game i see him - his blocking has really come on this year! If we keep this momentum going we will be in a good place at the end of the year - hopefully :)

which is why against the bears there was a lot of calls against the o line for moving their feet before the snap - o line has played much better against seahawks and chiefs and everyone seems to be on the same page - its not even the penalty that rodgers is looking for its the free play that he gets!! He is unbelievable in the pocket at the moment - just always seems to step up and then has his pick of passes or runs himself!

Considering we have so many injuries and a lack of a clear elite mlb and uncertainty at CB our defense is holding up well! Raji has been immese - in fairness the whole d line has been agressive since the 1st game!!

To think that Cobb will only get fitter - Lacy & Adams to get fitter too - Richard Rodgers improves for me every game i see him - his blocking has really come on this year! If we keep this momentum going we will be in a good place at the end of the year - hopefully :)

• Advertisement

This season just has a good vibe to it, this team just keeps adapting to all the injuries it's actually quite remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

limerickfc wrote: »
    This season just has a good vibe to it, this team just keeps adapting to all the injuries it's actually quite remarkable

Same as the year they beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl. They had an obscene amount of players on IR then.

Beware early season confidence...remember 15-1...

Beware early season confidence...remember 15-1...

we aren't the browns, it's ok to be confident

its ok to be confident but just remember that if Rodgers was to go down like last year we have a weaker secondary and a weaker wide reciever core without nelson!! Confidence is ok.... but just take every game as it comes!

Case and point with confidence - Championship Game against Seahawks - after 3 quarters i was confident - when the game was done i was heartbroken!

If anyone can do it Rodgers is the guy but lets keep focussed and winning :)

burnett and adams out for tonight#, abbrediadasasddrfsdfsdger opr however you spell it promoted from practice squad

So today Rodgers will be throwing to...

- Randall Cobb, an established quality player.
    - A second year, 4th round, decent-but-unspectacular TE who still has a lot of development to do in DickRod.
    - A guy who is essentially a rookie in Abbrederis (6th rounder last year, but missed the whole year through injury if I recall)
    - A guy who is also very close to being a rookie in Janis (7th rounder last year but has only played a handful of snaps in his career so far).
    - A guy who is a rookie, and a 3rd round one at that in Ty Montgomery (he is growing on me quickly though!)
    - A 6th round rookie TE (if he sees the field - Kennard Blackman, as Quarless is out for the next 6+ weeks)
    - A guy who got cut from both the Giants and the Raiders in the last 12 months.

On defense, Guion is back and I am excited about it! With how Raji has been playing, and Mike Daniels being Mike Daniels... this could/should be our best defensive line since 2010 - I'm a fan of Mike Pennell for depth too, he is a BIG guy! And of course Jeyrone "who the f*** is you!?" Elliott coming from completely out of nowhere, able to play at DE in some sets, or also LB. Still can't stand Capers, but in terms of personnel I am really starting to warm to our young defensive group - don't even get me going on the secondary!

Billy86 wrote: »
    So today Rodgers will be throwing to...

- Randall Cobb, an established quality player.
    - A second year, 4th round, decent-but-unspectacular TE who still has a lot of development to do in DickRod.
    - A guy who is essentially a rookie in Abbrederis (6th rounder last year, but missed the whole year through injury if I recall)
    - A guy who is also very close to being a rookie in Janis (7th rounder last year but has only played a handful of snaps in his career so far).
    - A guy who is a rookie, and a 3rd round one at that in Ty Montgomery (he is growing on me quickly though!)
    - A 6th round rookie TE (if he sees the field - Kennard Blackman, as Quarless is out for the next 6+ weeks)
    - A guy who got cut from both the Giants and the Raiders in the last 12 months.

On defense, Guion is back and I am excited about it! With how Raji has been playing, and Mike Daniels being Mike Daniels... this could/should be our best defensive line since 2010 - I'm a fan of Mike Pennell for depth too, he is a BIG guy! And of course Jeyrone "who the f*** is you!?" Elliott coming from completely out of nowhere, able to play at DE in some sets, or also LB. Still can't stand Capers, but in terms of personnel I am really starting to warm to our young defensive group - don't even get me going on the secondary!
    this years mvp though XD

this years mvp though XD

Just goes to show how good Rodgers is though, when we hear excuses about WR/TE injuries, inexperience, etc bandied about at some point for pretty much every other QB in the game. ;)

How's the game going lads I'm not home at the moment.?

• Advertisement

limerickfc wrote: »
    How's the game going lads I'm not home at the moment.?

Up 7-3, 9.30 left in 3rd, Pack have the ball...oh wow Jones hauls in a bomb from 50, not sure how he kept his feet in, and Pack are first and goal.

TD KUUUUUHHHHNNNN.. 14-3 Packers.

Given his encyclopaediac knowledge of the NFL and the Packers in particular, I look forward to an answer from Billy86 but also want to hear what other Packers fans think.

Given just how good Rodgers is, and we are talking about one of the all time great QBs...just how many more years do you think we'll see out of him before the inevitable decline, particularly given that so much of his greatness is his ability to move out of the pocket and still execute perfectly? Do you think he will have the longevity of a P Manning?

Given his encyclopaediac knowledge of the NFL and the Packers in particular, I look forward to an answer from Billy86 but also want to hear what other Packers fans think.

Given just how good Rodgers is, and we are talking about one of the all time great QBs...just how many more years do you think we'll see out of him before the inevitable decline, particularly given that so much of his greatness is his ability to move out of the pocket and still execute perfectly? Do you think he will have the longevity of a P Manning?

I'd say 3 years before we really see ther legs go, 5 for the arm starting to weaken

I'll go into more depth when I get the chance because I am half asleep right now, but I think Rodgers is playing better than Manning ever did, and when his legs start to go we will see him 'regress' to about that standard of play for a while. Again half asleep here, but I don't know if there is one single facet of Rodgers' game that could be ranked as less than 9/10 (outside of scrambling, which would still be a very solid 8 or so with 1,900 career rushing yards and our second leading rusher from 2010-13 if I recall).

Rodgers has got it done with absolutely no line, with absolutely no running game, with absolutely no running game or line, and with patched together WR groups (admittedly only during injury crises - but look at James Jones and Greg Jennings' careers without Rodgers also). I'm biased of course, but I genuinely don't believe there is any QB in the history of the game at their peak that you could plug-and-play into any system or with any amount of weaknesses at any/all positions and have them succeed like Rodgers of the last 5 years or so.

His 2012 season was arguably his most impressive. No other QB I have ever seen could have done well in those circumstances, but Rodgers was right up as good as anyone else that season. Otherwise known as the 'two step drop back and scramble' season, with no running game behind him to keep defenders honest and a banged up WR corps throughout most of the year. Any claim of him benefiting from his team mates play or the system he was in (as opposed to them benefiting from him, more so) went right out the window that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Other then the GOAT of course.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Other then the GOAT of course.
    When we are talking about peak performance over a number of years and not overall career longevity, team performances etc, Rodgers has at least as much of an argument to be numverb1 as either Montana or Brady.

Let's not forget that both those guys had top 5 (perhaps top 3,some might even say 1 and 2) best coaches of all time, that Montana had the greatest WR and perhaps greatest player ever full stop to throw to, and that Brady had at different times probably the most dangerous/explosive WR of all time, and then a guy who is more disruptive and difficult to defend than possibly any other receiving threat in the history of the game in Gronk.

Rodgers best target over his career has been to one pro bowl ever, and while McCarthy is a very good coach he is simply not on the same level as either of the other two mentioned.

Also Brady would not have been able to do what Rodgers did with that offense in 2012, of that I am sure. I don't know enough about Montana to say the same as definitively, but I can say he was never tested to that extent in his pre salary cap, 49ers prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

I dunno i was hoping for a decisive win here, but instead it's a bit of a 'meh'.

jman0war wrote: »
    I dunno i was hoping for a decisive win here, but instead it's a bit of a 'meh'.

4-0 missing the number 1-3 reciever, our number 2 is banged up, running back is banged up, 1 tight end if wee are being honest, baluga out, the mascott starting on both offence and defence, but yeah we shouldnt just be winning we should be crushing

• Advertisement

jman0war wrote: »

Offensively, kinda - the line were disappointing, but I did not see a lot of it as my stream cut out something awful. Defensively though, the same Kaepernick who has raped us in ways never seen before, and his team mates, were held to just three points. We have 13 sacks in the last two games(!!). Raji continues to look absolute boss again, and Jayrone Elliott every week is looking more and more like he really could be a player, the young secondary is already looking very good - really cannot wait to see what that is like a year or two down the line - and Guion is back, who has an underrated importance to the team.

Looking like we should expect to travel to Denver at 6-0 in three weeks time, with our next two games at home to the Rams and Chargers. Their next two games are (each away) to the Raiders and Browns... so it could be a battle of two unbeaten sides. The line will need to play a lot better in that game, but our defense if it is continuing to gather momentum might just murder Manning.

Advertisement