Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Billy86 wrote: »
    Looking like we should expect to travel to Denver at 6-0 in three weeks time...

Denver comes in 4 weeks, after the bye. As good a chance as any to take them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Denver comes in 4 weeks, after the bye. As good a chance as any to take them down.

Good point - I completely missed that as they are on the same bye week as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Sunday Packers did enough - always in control and rodgers knew that he didnt need to force the issue cos the defence was on top! Although going on what the guys are saying about the broncos - their defense is epic - ware is reborn this season and their blitzing is unreal - gonna be a tough day for the o line and to consider that it was one of our strengths last year - seems a little fragile with bulaga there!
    Roll on the rams - gonna be a tough game that one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

another week another player injured, sean richardson DB out for season

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

I'm nervous about today, think it could be a trap game with all the 6 - 0 talk and with the strength of the Rams pass rush. Arod's gonna have to be on his toes

• Advertisement

Bakh won't have it easy but might need go mostly alone at LT, as Barclay will surely need assistance at RT. Against one of the best lines in the NFL for a good decade plus, it's time to really see Sitton/Lang/Linsley put to the absolute test on the interior! I've got faith in them but it won't be easy by any stretch. Love that trio!

I hope your right pal, what a day of sport too work through though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

eh.... is everyone fleeing to their designated shelter?

A-rod just threw an interception in Lambeau.
    This rarest of rare events was foretold as a harbinger of the apocalypse.

It's in 'Revelations' people!

2 ints. Jones on fire, td wise not in this game

Jeez, Rodgers with his 3rd TO. :eek:

Bench that bum. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Aaron Rodgers confirms today that the offense is struggling.
    http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-game-editorial/article-1/Aaron-Rodgers-confirms-offenses-struggles/f4e79b82-e5ae-4e87-8052-e4a365c72bce

4-13 for first downs yesterday which is just not good enough.
    No deep threat and a modest running attack.

But not bad considering we have a perfect record and time enough to hone those skills.

jman0war wrote: »
    Aaron Rodgers confirms today that the offense is struggling.
    http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-game-editorial/article-1/Aaron-Rodgers-confirms-offenses-struggles/f4e79b82-e5ae-4e87-8052-e4a365c72bce

4-13 for first downs yesterday which is just not good enough.
    No deep threat and a modest running attack.

But not bad considering we have a perfect record and time enough to hone those skills.

we have players dropping like flies. IT's immense we are doing as well as we are tbh, Without james jones we would of been truly ****ed

haha were 5-0 without so many players and playing Seahawks and Rams(who beat the seahawks) - and our defense playing well! Matthews has always been a solid player but he is playing all over the pitch - with the high blitz count he is dropping back and pushing up - think he sacked foles 4 times - and rams are considered to have a good o line!!

Consider that cobb aint 100% recieving less than he did last year as number 2 wide receiver - considering that jordi nelson had 8 catches a game last season - also look at Jones having a season only having 4 catches a game - there is a lot of targets and catches missing compared to last season as Rodgers doesnt have it around him! Adams hasnt played either!! Lacy is not 100% - the offensive line is getting injuries too with bulaga and lang out... and we are still 5-0!!

If bulaga and lang are to come back - cobb, adams and lacy to get fitter as the season goes on.... we could come into better form to close out the season!!

Completely agree, we have to get healthy at some point, As they say the difference between a champion and all the other good teams r that champions can win ugly and when their luck is down

haha were 5-0 without so many players and playing Seahawks and Rams(who beat the seahawks) - and our defense playing well! Matthews has always been a solid player but he is playing all over the pitch - with the high blitz count he is dropping back and pushing up - think he sacked foles 4 times - and rams are considered to have a good o line!!

Consider that cobb aint 100% recieving less than he did last year as number 2 wide receiver - considering that jordi nelson had 8 catches a game last season - also look at Jones having a season only having 4 catches a game - there is a lot of targets and catches missing compared to last season as Rodgers doesnt have it around him! Adams hasnt played either!! Lacy is not 100% - the offensive line is getting injuries too with bulaga and lang out... and we are still 5-0!!

If bulaga and lang are to come back - cobb, adams and lacy to get fitter as the season goes on.... we could come into better form to close out the season!!

Bulaga played the whole game on Sunday. Lang may not be too bad.

Good to see the rookies Randall and Rollins contributing. Rollins won't get an easier pick 6.

And did someone say James Jones has lost a step? :eek:

I'm hoping we'll be seeing more of Jeff Janis.
    His name is mentioned as a possible deep threat in Jordy's absense.

Figuring it out
    Another option would be second-year receiver Jeff Janis, who resembles Nelson physically (6-foot-3, 219 pounds) and has deep speed (his 4.42-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine two years ago was the fourth-fastest among receivers that year). But Janis has yet to earn Rodgers’ or the coaches’ trust, and consequently he’s played only 33 of the Packers’ 348 offensive plays so far this season.
    When Nelson was asked if he thought Janis could give the offense what it lacks without him, he said Janis must show greater consistency in order to earn such an opportunity.

“It’s the fact of someone taking pride in their work and being consistent. That’s what it comes down to,” Nelson said. “The main thing I ever focused on was being the same guy every day. Whether it was the coaches or it was Aaron, whenever I go out there, whether it’s practice or a game, you know what to expect [from me]. And I think that’s where it comes from.

“[Janis] made some big plays in preseason and in practice, but it’s the consistency level, day-in and day-out. In the classroom, when you get asked a question, you have to be able to sit there and answer it – and it’s not just Jeff, it’s everybody – and answer it the way [Rodgers] wants it answered. So he knows you know what you’re doing. And it goes from there.”

http://www.channel3000.com/sports/packers/Packers-aren-t-throwing-the-deep-ball-with-Nelson-out/35833312

Watch this space.

Thats been the case for him for a while, but faith is beginning to slip as he has shown a huge difficulty in getting it done in traffic on top of still being very, very raw and having concentration lapses that you basically never see with Jordy. Sadly, because Ive been a big fan of his from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I trust you are all v confident of going 6 and 0 Sunday? my Bolts are stinking it up thus far, the O line is a joke as is most of the D line/front 7. I expect you guys to put 40+ on us and we to score less than 20. But the Chargers just lost a game they should have won handily so Gods knows they might win a game we expect to lose handily!!!.

If the O line is a joke... be afraid, be very afraid. Our overall points per game conceded is a little overrated as the Seahawks can put up points but are not a hugely explosive or incisive offense, while the Bears, Chiefs, Rams and 49ers have all had their issues this season on offense. However, we have done decent against the run despite us being on the back end with regards to YPC and YPG against - remember, we have played against Lynch, Forte, Charles and Gurley (who is beginning to really look like a potential superstar). I will be interested to see how that develops down the line. Also Wilson, Kaepernick scrambling and Alex Smith who is also decent in that respect.

Something that has not got much mention though is that we are second in interceptions with 8 (seriously, our young secondary... keep an eye out, could be a MEGA unit moving forward), and are second in sacks this season - and not just from one player (Matthews and Peppers have the most at 4.5 each of our 20 total). We are allowing the sixth least passing yards per game and per attempt, and the second lowest QB accuracy and second lowest QBR against from our defense at 62.8. Our defense as a whole has not looked nearly as dynamic as this since 2010 - it is not as good as that unit was (particularly regarding the run game), but is unrecognisable from the pitiful bunch we have seen in some of the seasons since.

You never know with Dom Capers at the same time, he is ALWAYS capable of making the same mistake for every play of an entire game over and over and over (the guy simply cannot adjust during a match, perhaps the major difference between him and Dick LeBeau with whom his career has always been linked or compared), but it could be bleak for SD this week.

Keep an eye our for Jayrone Elliot also, a young unknown LB who has made some big plays for us so far this season. He's not going to dominate, but if you pay too much attention to the other guys he could wind up coming up big with a sack, forced fumble or interception... looks like he could be a very good rotational defensive players for "splash" plays.

lucky last night.... Rodgers is quite clearly a beast and worthy to be considered the best QB playing at the moment.... but he cant do it all!! He has to have something - players are just dropping like flies - like at one stage he was throwing to Abbrederis and Perrillo - thats a far cry from what he had last year! Cobb aint fit - playing or not - his shoulder is still not right.... Adams aint fit... Ty got hurt... Dick Rodgers is still raw.... Starks took a lot of hits last night.... Eddie Lacy looks a shadow of himself - in fact he looks like he has gained weight and is obviously troubled with this ankle injury

This was the injury report BEFORE last nights game - and its a long one...

Adams, Davante WR Ankle LP LP LP questionable
    Bulaga, Bryan T Knee FP LP LP probable
    Burnett, Morgan S Calf LP LP LP questionable
    Cobb, Randall WR Shoulder FP LP FP probable
    Goodson, Demetri CB Hamstring LP FP FP probable
    Gunter, LaDarius CB Heel FP LP LP questionable
    Jones, Datone DE Not Injury Related - DNP - -
    Jones, James WR Hamstring LP LP LP probable
    Lang, T.J. G Knee LP LP LP probable
    Perry, Nick LB Shoulder/Hand DNP DNP DNP doubtful
    Raji, B.J. DT Groin DNP DNP DNP doubtful
    Ryan, Jake LB Hamstring LP FP FP probable

That doesnt include Nelson or Quarless!!
    I know we are still winning but this Bye week is huge and i hope this week is a real rest week cos there is a lot of players mentioned there that need to get fit and fast!!

• Advertisement

Every year it's the same, including when they won the SB.

Do the Packers statistically suffer more injuries to starting players than other teams?
    I am doubtful.

If true though, then what explains it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Our bye week is coming at the perfect time.

Do the Packers statistically suffer more injuries to starting players than other teams?
    I am doubtful.

Bad luck,same with united in soccer

I am doubtful.

The year we won the SB we broke all time nfl records if I recall for total games missed by starters, players signed during the season, and different players starting games. Not certain if that was exactly it but it was a ling those lines.

And like you said, that's pretty much standard fare for us. So yes, I would reckon it's higher than the league average. By a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Way off topic, but I haven't noticed United having particularly bad luck with injuries. Think they only have two significant players injured at the moment. Shaw and Young.

Now Bournemeouth and Newcastle are teams with lots to complain about.

Similarly in NFL, I think most teams' fans would reckon they are unlucky with injury. Sure, the Packers are having a bad time of it. But so are the Cowboys, Ravens, Patriots, Eagles, Steelers.......just off the top of my head.

Outside of WRs we are not so bad this year... so far. But we all know how that one is going to develop, sadly.

On a different note, Matthews has to be in the DPOTY discussion so far. His stat line is good, but he is doing so, so much more outside of that. He is one of the very hardest players to predict in the league, in the current setup and is playing lights out both at ILB and OLB, rushing, blitzing, covering and against the run. Without him, this defense will crumble quite a bit... and that's something I absolutely fear in the worst way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

http://www.mangameslost.com/

According to this you guys are injured around middle of the pack, 22nd overall in fact, so you're doing better than most. But I think ye lead the league for going on about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Great link.

• Advertisement

http://www.mangameslost.com/

According to this you guys are injured around middle of the pack, 22nd overall in fact, so you're doing better than most. But I think ye lead the league for going on about it. ;)

Great link. At work so only able to take a glance right now, but that website seems to have us up near the very highest since 2009 total, as well as in 2010, 2012 and 2013 individually. In the other 2.5 seasons, we have gone 34-4.

The issue this year though isn't really total injuries as I mentioned, it's that they all seem to be occurring together and at the one position. But it's obviously nothing compared to those three years.

Interesting though that every SB winning team since 2009 ranked in the middle to higher end - could be coincidence, but the chances and experience given to younger/fringe players could also play a role.

Advertisement