Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Billy86 wrote: »
    Great link. At work so only able to take a glance right now, but that website seems to have us up near the very highest since 2009 total, as well as in 2010, 2012 and 2013 individually. In the other 2.5 seasons, we have gone 34-4.

The issue this year though isn't really total injuries as I mentioned, it's that they all seem to be occurring together and at the one position. But it's obviously nothing compared to those three years.

I'll be honest I'm only using the site to wind ye up. But every team in the league from what I can see has had a massive injury list this year. The Packers are probably not even the worst hit in terms of WRs. And anyway it matters less who your WRs are compared to most teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'll be honest I'm only using the site to wind ye up.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

latest?cb=20121215223327

The Bears don't actually want to win the division at the moment. Because it's haunted.

latest?cb=20130614052702

VXNl49m.jpg

Wait, there's a lemon behind that rock! Oh no wait, it's just Trestman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

jman0war wrote: »
    Do the Packers statistically suffer more injuries to starting players than other teams?
    I am doubtful.

I'd put us up there with the Pats for nearly always been near the top of the injury charts. Some teams just seem to be blessed in avoiding key injuries, not us though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

If the O line is a joke... be afraid, be very afraid. Our overall points per game conceded is a little overrated as the Seahawks can put up points but are not a hugely explosive or incisive offense, while the Bears, Chiefs, Rams and 49ers have all had their issues this season on offense. However, we have done decent against the run despite us being on the back end with regards to YPC and YPG against - remember, we have played against Lynch, Forte, Charles and Gurley (who is beginning to really look like a potential superstar). I will be interested to see how that develops down the line. Also Wilson, Kaepernick scrambling and Alex Smith who is also decent in that respect.

Something that has not got much mention though is that we are second in interceptions with 8 (seriously, our young secondary... keep an eye out, could be a MEGA unit moving forward), and are second in sacks this season - and not just from one player (Matthews and Peppers have the most at 4.5 each of our 20 total). We are allowing the sixth least passing yards per game and per attempt, and the second lowest QB accuracy and second lowest QBR against from our defense at 62.8. Our defense as a whole has not looked nearly as dynamic as this since 2010 - it is not as good as that unit was (particularly regarding the run game), but is unrecognisable from the pitiful bunch we have seen in some of the seasons since.

You never know with Dom Capers at the same time, he is ALWAYS capable of making the same mistake for every play of an entire game over and over and over (the guy simply cannot adjust during a match, perhaps the major difference between him and Dick LeBeau with whom his career has always been linked or compared), but it could be bleak for SD this week.

Keep an eye our for Jayrone Elliot also, a young unknown LB who has made some big plays for us so far this season. He's not going to dominate, but if you pay too much attention to the other guys he could wind up coming up big with a sack, forced fumble or interception... looks like he could be a very good rotational defensive players for "splash" plays.

That was defo one that 'got away' from us. A mixture of no running game and some awful play calling once again cost us. Rivers was lights out though, he is carrying this team so much this year it is unreal. Would be interested to hear how you think we stopped Rodgers after his early heroics.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    That was defo one that 'got away' from us. A mixture of no running game and some awful play calling once again cost us. Rivers was lights out though, he is carrying this team so much this year it is unreal. Would be interested to hear how you think we stopped Rodgers after his early heroics.
    To be fair, our defense while terrible in general play did very well in pressure situations like the red zone - not a performance I am delighted with, but I have read on some sites how terrible they were (CBSSports, though typically a joke anyway, called it one of the worst Packers defensive performances of all time - a joke if ever I have seen one). It's a silver lining I guess, as we are typically terrible in those situations.

As for Rodgers, it was a mix of things including great pressure, but the primary causes I felt were drops (Cobb on that big pass right on the numbers and wide open, especially). That's the big issue we have had this season, no deep threat (or even boundary option without Adams, and Jones playing hobbled - Cobb is one of the best in the slot that there is and unlie say a Welker has the physicality to play on the edge, but it's not his strong point AT ALL) allows secondaries to play everyone a lot closer, safeties included because there is no separation. If you look it up, while not moaning Rodgers has been more vocal about his WRs getting inability to get separation from their DBs than I have ever heard him on anything related to the team, ssoooo many of his passes have to go into tiny, tiny windows for shorter gains which is why his 8.8 YPA on Sunday (where he played very good to be honest) and 8.2 on the season are extremely impressive for me.

It is also why Jeff Janis having two big gains is also a huge plus in the absence of Nelson, he has been billed as a kind of diet version of Nelson for quite some time (even looks a bit like him!) but has always been raw as hell, so if he can break out to even a 30-40 catch, 500-700 yard type of season it would be a MASSIVE bonus for our offense. We all knew how underrated and awesome he is as one of the top 5-10 in the game (and for more than just last year!) but I dont think we all realised just how vital Jordy was to our offense until he got injured. Not only for the passing game, but having someone to drag at least one safety back the field as a deep threat would be big for the running game, where Lacy has been poor this year (mainly due to injury/not being in great shape but also due to 7-8 in the box) though Starks has thankfully picked up the load in that regard.

The bye could not have come at a better time, and hopefully Janis gets high priority in training over the next two weeks, as well as Adams coming back on the boundary for the other side and Jones getting healthier, because even with Rodgers that Denver defense scares me a LOT. We cannot afford to play a TE who only had his first NFL game against you guys, another slot guy in Abbrederis still waiting on his first NFL catch who only debuted a week previous vs. the Rams, and have Janis out of sync and looking as raw as he had prior to Sunday (a handful of junk yard snaps at the end of last season and this one, but only two catches for a total of 16 yards before last weekend).

Always been a huge fan of Rivers though, for me he is right up there with Ben in terms of the best of this generation outside of the obvious Rodgers/Brady/Peyton/Brees combo, so I would rather he have a huge day against us than about anyone else. And dont get me wrong he did have a GREAT game, but I still have to point out that Rodgers averaged more than a yard extra per attempt on the same completion percentage. Because I'm petty like that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

I agree i think it's not so much Rodgers, rather he's dealing with a poor recieving corp at this stage.
    James Jones is great, but even he's playing injured now.
    With no deep threat it means opposing teams can load up in the box.

The script to beat the Packers has been set.

Currently I'm predicting a probable lose at:
    Week 8 @ Broncos
    Week 9 @ Panthers
    Week 16 @ Cardinals

And probably 1 of these:
    Away games @ Vikings or Lions

12-4 Season with at best an appearance at NFC Championship game but not SB.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

its only a good thing tho that we are winning these games - like to think that rodgers has been playing at this level and he hasnt got much 100% players around him

With Broncos next week... Bye week this week

Need.... Cobb 100%
    Adams 80%
    Jones 80%
    Lacy to loose a stone and get a kick up the a***

Broncos are blitz heavy so if we get Adams back on the outside and put cobb in the slot - those short 8-15 yard throws will be the way to beat them.

Then have raji back to put Manning under even more pressure - consider our worst defensive game was against chargers and the only game that raji hasnt played this year! Clay and Peppers to go sack crazy with 6 sacks of manning between them! He has looked so static and slow in the pocket i think that we will get after him

• Advertisement

I agree i think it's not so much Rodgers, rather he's dealing with a poor recieving corp at this stage.
    James Jones is great, but even he's playing injured now.
    With no deep threat it means opposing teams can load up in the box.

The script to beat the Packers has been set.

Currently I'm predicting a probable lose at:
    Week 8 @ Broncos
    Week 9 @ Panthers
    Week 16 @ Cardinals

And probably 1 of these:
    Away games @ Vikings or Lions

12-4 Season with at best an appearance at NFC Championship game but not SB.

There's not a hope you'll lose to the Vikings or the Lions. They're both absolutely shocking. The Bears should have beaten the Lions in Detroit last week. I don't think I need to say any more than that. And Bridgewater seems to have regressed this year, no way they'll rack up the scores necessary to stop the Packers. You'll absolutely walk this division, and there won't be anyone threatening to get a wild card in it either. I have ye pencilled in for making it to the Superbowl, and I'm sticking by that, but I'd also imagine a clean sweep of the division is more than realistic, it's the most likely turn of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yeah, as a Vikings fan, I will be amazed if we can get within a sniff of Green Bay in either game. And we are the second best team in the division.

There's not a hope you'll lose to the Vikings or the Lions. They're both absolutely shocking. The Bears should have beaten the Lions in Detroit last week. I don't think I need to say any more than that. And Bridgewater seems to have regressed this year, no way they'll rack up the scores necessary to stop the Packers. You'll absolutely walk this division, and there won't be anyone threatening to get a wild card in it either. I have ye pencilled in for making it to the Superbowl, and I'm sticking by that, but I'd also imagine a clean sweep of the division is more than realistic, it's the most likely turn of events.
    D9Male wrote: »
    Yeah, as a Vikings fan, I will be amazed if we can get within a sniff of Green Bay in either game. And we are the second best team in the division.
    ENOUGH!! Enough of the double-reverse-super-mega-jinxing... we can all see what you are up to, and you can both go and f*** yourselves!! :mad:

:p

ENOUGH!! Enough of the double-reverse-super-mega-jinxing... we can all see what you are up to, and you can both go and f*** yourselves!! :mad:

:p

You'll be grand. Cannon fodder.

Well, the sum of my experience has lead me to expect the WORST when playing @Vikings and @Lions.

Well, the sum of my experience has lead me to expect the WORST when playing @Vikings and @Lions.

You should try supporting one of them. Your definition of the WORST might undergo some hefty revisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Just in the middle of a big debate with a pal here guys so more opinions would be great, Ino the position is devalued and we have other needs but if RB's Elliot and Henry are their at our pick next year's draft ( let's say pick 30) would ye take one of them or pass.?

limerickfc wrote: »
    Just in the middle of a big debate with a pal here guys so more opinions would be great, Ino the position is devalued and we have other needs but if RB's Elliot and Henry are their at our pick next year's draft ( let's say pick 30) would ye take one of them or pass.?

pass. Gladly pass. I will take a Tight end. God we need a tight end. I will then take another lb and then a wr/rb that will be used for kick and punt returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

The chap is carrying an ankle injury and playing injured I highly doubt he can train too hard atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

I'd be very tempted by Elliot, he's so versatile he has it all

3 point favorities coming into Mile High.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

3 point favorities coming into Mile High.

Really!
    We'', heres hoping.

how are we vis-a-vis injuries?
    Has Eddie crash dieted in the past week?

Really!

how are we vis-a-vis injuries?
    Has Eddie crash dieted in the past week?

terrible but manning is throwing lame ducks all season, dix and co will be lining up to bring them back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

The chap is carrying an ankle injury and playing injured I highly doubt he can train too hard atm

You'd imagine for a professional athlete he'd be able to keep the weight in check.
    I wouldn't be critical of his performances given the injury but he shouldn't be piling on the pounds like he is. He was never the slimmest to start with!

digzy wrote: »
    You'd imagine for a professional athlete he'd be able to keep the weight in check.
    I wouldn't be critical of his performances given the injury but he shouldn't be piling on the pounds like he is. He was never the slimmest to start with!

Have you ever seen the nfl players talk about how they ate?? JJ watt wakes up at 4 am tro eat, I imagine it's easier to keep the routine and drop weight than break it then restart it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Have you ever seen the nfl players talk about how they ate?? JJ watt wakes up at 4 am tro eat, I imagine it's easier to keep the routine and drop weight than break it then restart it

it's inconceivable that an organisation like the packers don't have nutritionists/dieticians coordinating with the strength/conditioning guys on this. I'm aware that plenty non pros get up at unusual hours to eat to fuel the muscle but everybody would have a set routine depending on their positional requirements.look at the rugby lads, tommy bowe was moaning about all the food he had to eat. I presume Lacy isn't doing much running and I imagine most of the lower body stuff isn't an option, therefore his diet must be tailored accordingly?

doubt if having a fat ass is part of the plan;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I think JJ may be an extreme exception.

From what I've noticed, their diets aren't great.

Much of it is cultural.
    The playing population is mostly black, and like the Irish, love their meats & potatoes...... It's a stereotypes I know, but also true
    digzy wrote:
    it's inconceivable that an organisation like the packers don't have nutritionists/dieticians coordinating with the strength/conditioning guys on this.
    I'm sure every team has a nutritionist.... But I'm certain the playing staff don't give a sh*t.

Imagine a staffer walking into a sqad meeting saying: "OK guys, no more grits, no more fried chicken".
    There would be mutiny.

We know that weed smoking is endemic in the NFL.
    Even tobacco chewing is common.
    Culturally, what players ingest seems incidental once they do a job on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Well that was a steaming pile of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Advertisement