Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

SO. MANY. FUMBLES.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Worst display I've seen in yonks from the Packers

Running game non existent

Passing game non existent

No rhythm or flow to the offence just a series of train wrecks.

Rogers will be injured soon if he keeps holding on to the ball

Based on the first two games I have doubts about Pack getting to playoffs.

Defense again giving up huge plays on 4th and third downs

Staid predictable and impotent, need a major shake up

Vike were a much better side even without AP for a lot of the game and a new QB.

Capers needs out rapido and McCarthy is not safe either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JmanZ

Something like 14 consecutive games now where Rogers had an QB rating under 100.
    Of course last season the media gave him a pass due to Nelson being out etc.
    But Nelson is back now and we still haven't stretched the field.
    I saw at least 4 poorly thrown balls, 2 along the left sidelines where Rogers overthrew the receiver by over 5 yrds and the announcers didn't even say anything.

Another 3rd down across the middle, threw high and behind a crossing receiver.
    Then there should have been an interception in the end zone in 4th qtr, maybe Rogers didn't see the defender..?

Comparing the 2 qb's last night, Rogers looked poor.

Lacy takes like more than 5 yrds at the point of hand off before he gets is motor going (when running straight up the gut).
    He can't run laterally.
    So if contact is made around or inside that 5 yrd cushion he goes down.

I'd like to see more Crockett on the field, he is quick, has moves and makes people miss to create space.
    It's what the Pack needed last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

JmanZ wrote: »
    Lacy takes like more than 5 yrds at the point of hand off before he gets is motor going (when running straight up the gut).
    He can't run laterally.
    So if contact is made around or inside that 5 yrd cushion he goes down.

I'd like to see more Crockett on the field, he is quick, has moves and makes people miss to create space.
    It's what the Pack needed last night.

Correct,Lacy is in contact straight away and is a North South runner.

Needs a few yards to get up a head of steam, if he can!!

Starks first move is usually laterally where he has no chance of escaping,and is usually dumped behind the line.

Need to get freshness in, even Burks if he is on the practice squad.

Things seem very stale, very very stale and sluggish.

The unthinkable......maybe Rogers has shot his bolt:eek:

I'd like to see a sports journalist do a Return on Investment comparison between the 2 qb's last night.
    $ paid to the qb per game or per snap, compared with output.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Positives- the defensive line, blocked punt and Mike Daniels going to tretter after the Td
    Negatives- everything else
    Next 4 games are at home will make or break our season if we can come out of that 5-1 or 4-2 we will be in good shape

cosatron wrote: »
    Positives- the defensive line, blocked punt and Mike Daniels going to tretter after the Td
    Negatives- everything else
    Next 4 games are at home will make or break our season if we can come out of that 5-1 or 4-2 we will be in good shape

Agree basically.

Railbird Central podcast with Brian Carriveau called out Rogers and the staleness of the whole team, the predictable play calling, predictable plays, the lack of freshness about the whole set up.Damarious Randall got burned big by Diggs who almost single handedly beat the Packers.

Take out his contribution and the Vikes averaged only 2 yards per down.

In my opinion there needs to be a shake up in coaching staff inject some energy and fresh plays because they are like a team playing in porridge right now.

They have to prevent more third down conversions and convert more.

Can't understand why Lacy wasn't involved in the goaline attack when they lost it on downs.

Very very poor all round, huge improvement needed

Rant over:D

• Advertisement

Cj spiller was in for a tryout during the week, that's good to add to some speed in the backfield if his knee holds up...
    Rodgers talking the talk, took responsibility for being garbage the last day and says he will be better so here's hoping for a 5td 400 yard pasting of the loins but in reality, we will eek out a win.....
    MM talked about being more committed to the run, why does he lie to us like that....

cosatron wrote: »
    Cj spiller was in for a tryout during the week, that's good to add to some speed in the backfield if his knee holds up...
    Rodgers talking the talk, took responsibility for being garbage the last day and says he will be better so here's hoping for a 5td 400 yard pasting of the loins but in reality, we will eek out a win.....
    MM talked about being more committed to the run, why does he lie to us like that....

CJ Spiller won't turn things around.

I would say a lot of hard talking done this week.

However I have heard all this before, " we must execute better" "we need to get the fundamentals right" and other bulldust.

That said I am expecting a huge improvement next Sunday, their needs to be as Matthew Stafford has the hot hand right now, and the Lions won't just come in and roll over.

Rogers needs to get rid of the ball quicker

Running game needs to build up steam, not pussyfooting behind the LOS

D needs to be in Staffords face and not give him time to set up and throw.

Basically everyone needs to up a gear, up the tempo, get things rolling from the first kickoff and boss the TOP stats.

Will be very disappointed if there is not a drastic improvement next Sunday as another loss to a div. rival would be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Good win yesterday. Our D is still pathetic at times (fair enough we were well ahead when we started offering up plays) mainly down to the playcalling.

Surely they have to realise that there are some excellent players on our defence and yet we're still giving up way too many scores and easy yardage. It's not feasible for us to have to score 30 points every week to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Look at the inactives yesterday:

6 QB Joe Callahan
    37 CB Sam Shields
    42 S Morgan Burnett
    52 LB Clay Matthews
    68 T Kyle Murphy
    95 DE Datone Jones
    98 DT Letroy Guion

Half the defence was missing. Five major contributors absent. It's a wonder they managed to hold the Lions to 27. IMO, offensive playcalling became way too conservative in the second half. They should have played lights out for the 3rd and iced the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Missed the second half because I had to visit people for dinner, but saw Rodgers was 3-of-6 for 31 yards. That's not conservative playcalling, it's pathetic playcalling. Yeah sure get Lacy up and going and all that... but 6 pass attempts in an entire half? Farcical, really.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Missed the second half because I had to visit people for dinner, but saw Rodgers was 3-of-6 for 31 yards. That's not conservative playcalling, it's pathetic playcalling. Yeah sure get Lacy up and going and all that... but 6 pass attempts in an entire half? Farcical, really.

Classic MM.

Billy86 wrote: »

You got lucky... Now if the Packers were top class in the first half, they were poor in the second half

In almost all the stats apart from rushing and penalties the Lions were better.

T.O.P apx 35-25 to the Lions, now that can be attributed to the quick fire TDs in the first half by the Pack but to me seems to prove they can't extend a drive mainly due to only 50% completion of 3rd downs.

Ok they had injuries in the D but so had the Lions.

I would say in that respect injury wise the bye week comes at a good time but for maintaining rhythm tempo and execution, it doesn't.

Sorry to be so negative but the pass D is abysmal.

Vikes look the form team in the Div so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Anyone notice this?

https://twitter.com/SportsCast_THN/status/780110747929944064

cunning as a big bag of foxes.

Anyone notice this?

https://twitter.com/SportsCast_THN/status/780110747929944064

cunning as a big bag of foxes.

Yes, making sure his legs were out of bounds, but of course I didn't know that rule in advance.

Well done Ty for knowing it,, Leon Lett comes to mind;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I always thought the rule was that if you've went out of bounds during a play you can't come back in and participate in the play? Or does that just apply to eligible receivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I always thought the rule was that if you've went out of bounds during a play you can't come back in and participate in the play? Or does that just apply to eligible receivers?

He didn't come back into play.
    He stayed over the line when he controlled the ball so both he and the ball are deemed out.

Pretty similar rule in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He didn't come back into play.
    He stayed over the line when he controlled the ball so both he and the ball are deemed out.

Pretty similar rule in rugby.

Clever chap. Makes a change from the usual thing in this league where dumbass players clearly don't know the most basic of rules in the sport they play for a living and routinely cost their teams points and yardage as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Happened a few years ago, Cobb did it iirc why are people so amazed

Happened a few years ago, Cobb did it iirc why are people so amazed

Have to admit it was new to me when Cobb did it 4 years ago, but it got a lot of attention at the time as a smart play so no surprise to see it done again.. In fact it should be one of the first thing to cross the mind when a punt goes near the line since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I also don't understand the wonder and amazement about it. He's a punt returner, it's literally his job to know those kind of rules.

eSPECIALLY SINCE THE LAST GUY TO DO IT IS ON YOUR BLOODY TEAM

Bye week a good thing to regroup and analyse a ragged start?

Or a bad thing, stalling any momentum gained in the first half of last week?

Good for me, one good game doesnt make up for that dross, another week for jorfy and ar to get their flow back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Good thing I think, especially coming into it with a win even with loads of injuries. Extra time to heal and build on the win.

Advertisement