Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Blut2 wrote: »
    Two long TD drives in under 2 minutes each in the fourth quarter would I think be regarded by most as being of a fairly high tempo and speed.

The offense isn't firing on all cylinders, but is still having good moments. I think the bigger problem is with the defense leaking so many points in every game. The Packers have given up 30+ pts now in 4 of 9 games this season, compared to 1 of 9 at this stage in 2015, 2014 and 2013. Thats not a sustainable level.

game was gone by then, what's wanted is that tempo and speed 'When it frikken matters, when it freaking matters'

Like in the first freakin quarter and through the game.

Tbh I said it last year and ill say it again, we need to not recover this season, bomb it, get some high picks and get some decent attacking options again. Like a stud college wr

Like a fairly good clear out of coaching staff?

Needed, I say, needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Patww79 wrote: »

I'd get rid of Mccarthy, and quite possibly Thompson too. Holding on to Capers for the last what, 4 or 5 years now? is inexcusable and someone has to take the fall for it.

Not Thompson but McCarthy is on shaky ground in my opinion.

How many times can you trot out, " We gotta concentrate on the fundamentals" line?

Not saying he is a bad coach, but there seems to be an element of staleness and lack of enthusiasm and bounce about the whole organisation.

They were sleepwalking throughout the first three quarters, sleepwalking.

No consistent threat down the middle since Jermichael Finley !!!

And I know Cook is injured.

Maybe time to think strongly about new blood and a fresh voice

Next three games on the road, and they are vital.

They will go a long way about shaping future developement in my opinion.

The podcasts on the subject and the post mortem on the game will be verrrrry interesting:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

clear house. I would love to see Rodgers work with a new coordinator. TT needs to be moved on, the penny pinching can only get you so far in today's league. sometimes you need to make a splash and he hasn't done that since woodson and it paid off. During the offseason we were all hoping we would go for forte and Bennett from the bears and if TT pulled the trigger we would be a different animal now, and having only two rb on your roster is a joke shop. The first half last night was the worst football I've seen from green bay in a long time, in every aspect.

cosatron wrote: »
    clear house. I would love to see Rodgers work with a new coordinator. TT needs to be moved on, the penny pinching can only get you so far in today's league. sometimes you need to make a splash and he hasn't done that since woodson and it paid off. During the offseason we were all hoping we would go for forte and Bennett from the bears and if TT pulled the trigger we would be a different animal now, and having only two rb on your roster is a joke shop. The first half last night was the worst football I've seen from green bay in a long time, in every aspect.

Correct, turgid, uninspired, pedestrian stuff, the squirrel was the MVP!!

Still hasn't been caught by the way.:D

On the Railbird Central Pod, the offence is getting a battering.

Ha-Ha getting a good review, fcuker should have sacked Luck though on that third down.Had him nailed, or should have.

Did well otherwise though.

Jake Ryan at MLB gets a good mention and deserved.

Who are the mediums... Corey Linsley.. Had a good game.

OL in general were good .

Secondary and Special Teams get hammered, and rightly so.

That's the synopsis from Cheesehead TV.

I agree with that.

Bottom line, Packers need to get pressure on the QB.Not doing it at the moment.

Some gimp called Bell who has been rattling around the NFC North for yonks expected to be signed as a RB this week, if he is any good why is he rattling around?

We will wait and see.

Have we forgotten the 80s?

I'd be all for getting rid of Capers. And I fully understand the feeling that TT and MM's innate conservatism is costing us, that the only realistic goal these years is the NFC North and after that we'll fall short. But then I think back to the days when we stunk, when we were crushed year after year by the Bears and we could only rely on beating the Bucs...and for all the feeling that we 're not maximising our potential right now, I'd hate to see some radical change that might actually see us spiral down. So I'd be more for tweaks rather than wholesale clear outs.

But I do get the opposite argument, it's the same following Cork City - with some fans arguing that second best is nowhere and others saying we've been a lot lower, stick with the steadying hand. I guess my formative years were during the worst time ever, I said it here about 7 or 8 years ago that I still welcome any year better than 8-8, but there are a lot of franchises that would love to have the crises that the Packers have these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Have we forgotten the 80s?

I'd be all for getting rid of Capers. And I fully understand the feeling that TT and MM's innate conservatism is costing us, that the only realistic goal these years is the NFC North and after that we'll fall short. But then I think back to the days when we stunk, when we were crushed year after year by the Bears and we could only rely on beating the Bucs...and for all the feeling that we 're not maximising our potential right now, I'd hate to see some radical change that might actually see us spiral down. So I'd be more for tweaks rather than wholesale clear outs.

But I do get the opposite argument, it's the same following Cork City - with some fans arguing that second best is nowhere and others saying we've been a lot lower, stick with the steadying hand. I guess my formative years were during the worst time ever, I said it here about 7 or 8 years ago that I still welcome any year better than 8-8, but there are a lot of franchises that would love to have the crises that the Packers have these days.

Capers has to go or we'll slowly slide back to your fear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I did see an interesting thing whic argues that really, a lot of the surrounding cast apart from Rogers are actually not THAT good at the moment.

It's not a terrible argument really. It's the problem with doing quite well but not great every year. You win enough games to be out of the running for the top 10-20 players but not enough to go all the way etc.

• Advertisement

I did see an interesting thing whic argues that really, a lot of the surrounding cast apart from Rogers are actually not THAT good at the moment.

It's not a terrible argument really. It's the problem with doing quite well but not great every year. You win enough games to be out of the running for the top 10-20 players but not enough to go all the way etc.

Something to be made of that but I would not buy into it.

You will only get one and as the Browns/Jags/ Bucs and all those not even in the playoff picture for yonks have found out , one is not enough.

Apart from injuries Packers problem, imho is that they are too slow and cumbersome in offence and not getting near the QB in defense.

I feel there's a tired staleness about the team evident in the Colts game.

The Colts were up for it, the Packers weren't, even on their own turf, after a defeat.

I firmly believe there is a major coaching problem in GB.

Whole place needs new voices and new ideas if they are to progress.

Watch this space.......

You will only get one and as the Browns/Jags/ Bucs and all those not even in the playoff picture for yonks have found out , one is not enough.

I feel there's a tired staleness about the team evident in the Colts game.

I agree. But I think a jolt of a top flight, hyped up offensive star WR or something would energise them, and pull the other guys up by the bootstraps. Let's be real, Nelson is great but he's getting on, and while Cobb is a solid #2, it's not the same. Likewise at RB. Lacy is great when he gets going but he's struggling. But there's no-one nipping at his heels to pressure him, even if he was healthy.

Montgomery has been a revelation this season, he's a great hybrid for now. But that's not sustainable.

Terrible display in The Nissan Stadium last evening- terrible.

Defence was non existent expecially in the first quarter where Mariotta knifed through them with alarming ease.

Yes they were injuries to the usual crew plus on the o-line Bachtiari and Lang.

My take after watching it was poor fundamentals,penalties, dropped balls, poor passes.

What said it all for me was when Panthers had a 2nd-26 and then a 3rd -15 if remember correctly and they completed effortlessly as I suspected they would to wide open receivers, wide wide open.!!!!!

The post game shows were scathing on the coaching set up from the very top down and rightly so in my opinion.

I would be AMAZED. if heads didn't roll pretty soon,certainly after the season is o er which looks very likely to be at the end of the regular season.

Don't tell me about good TD drives by the Packers, they were all achieved in thrash time which began at the start of the 2nd quarter,the game was done after q1.

James Starks did his best but is not a Ist tier RB at best an average back up.

Jeff Janis cut the guy now

Only one to out of the game with any kudos was Devonte Adams.

The Brenner in a deep gloom over this season, will take more than a few bottles of Baltika to lift!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Awful game. Awful defense, even by this season's low standards. That 15 yard penalty for taunting from Mike Daniels was the icing on the cake - just so stupid.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Awful game. Awful defense, even by this season's low standards. That 15 yard penalty for taunting from Mike Daniels was the icing on the cake - just so stupid.

How can these guys be so boneheaded ?

I forget the precise incident, remembered saying that that drive might have got them some traction back into the game which was going south rapidly.

Same auld bullcrap from the team sources

" we must look at ourselves" "we need to do the fundamentals better"

" we must execute better"

" we will study the film and take action"

As I see it there is an inherent lack of drive, spirit , talent and will to win in that team.

Most u usual given the great performances of the past, but let's hope we are not moving into another" Lindy Infante era".

How is it that most other teams seem to have a big mobile TE and we haven't seen one since Jermichael got injured out of the game.

No way would the likes of Leroy Butler, Donald Driver, Antonio Freeman, Dorsey Levens Frankie Winters ,Reggie White et al would put up with this kind of sleepwalking

I see the seahwaks have released Christine Michael. Could be a decent option at RB? He was great last year and starting this year. Definitely tapered off but you wonder if a change of scenery might jumpstart him?

Every time I see this thread bumped, I open it kinda hoping someone has heard some rumour of Capers in the firing line. I take it there's no real rumours yet beyond surmising and hoping?

Every time I see this thread bumped, I open it kinda hoping someone has heard some rumour of Capers in the firing line. I take it there's no real rumours yet beyond surmising and hoping?

No, but two bad results in the next two games might shake things up:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

In other news, C Mike claimed off waivers.

VcX0oYs.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Right, how many touches Sunday?

I'm guessing he gets a few, maybe less than 10 total, before he does his knee/hammie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Right, how many touches Sunday?

I'm guessing he gets a few, maybe less than 10 total, before he does his knee/hammie.

Is he injury prone?

All joking aside, I think it's a decent pick up, he can't be any worse than starks. Although in the few games I've watched him he has a bizarre running style and seems to fall off his own accord a lot. As someone on reddit put it, he looks like he's running on a basketball court in socks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Is he injury prone?

I dunno, hope not. Hope he does well. He might have a slow start, though, which won't go down well with the impatient Mr McCarthy.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Is he injury prone?

All joking aside, I think it's a decent pick up, he can't be any worse than starks. Although in the few games I've watched him he has a bizarre running style and seems to fall off his ocwn accord a lot. As someone on reddit put it, he looks like he's running on a basketball court in socks :pac:

:eek:

James Starks the second!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

If McCarthy, Capers or TT go in the offseason. Who would ye like to see come in.? Not saying that o think they will go, just interested in yer opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'll take mike Tomlin. I think him moving from Steelers will help out both clubs tbh

• Advertisement

limerickfc wrote: »
    If McCarthy, Capers or TT go in the offseason. Who would ye like to see come in.? Not saying that o think they will go, just interested in yer opinion

If Jim Harbaugh fancies another tilt at the NFL, moving across state lines and taking a big pay cut, then I'd take him in a heartbeat.

But for all that, still think McCarthy is safe, especially with TT's conservative nature. But Capers just has to go.

Advertisement