Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Watching on as the Vikings and Lions battle for NFC North supremacy is a strange feeling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm happy about last night, to be honest. Didn't get to see it but it looks like Rogers is getting back to his self which was the big, big worry a few weeks ago, and while some other fans have thought we were exaggerating we have been saying for YEARS that Capers has to go, no matter what. His defenses have cost us in 5 (if not 6)of the last 7 postseason knockouts if I recall, and typically in staggering fashion. We've even said it would take a season with 10+ losses conceding on average over 30 a game for him to be sacked, and that it was worth getting rid of McCarthy if that is what it took.

One step closer. I hope we tank every single game this year, and provided the spread is right (hopefully will be with an 11pt loss to Seattle yesterday) this coming week will be the first time I have ever bet money against the Packers. It's necessary. One step closer...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

We need an overhaul and someone in the front office that will go after fa. I'm not saying buy everyone but at least try it ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Just have seen the game and it was terrible stuff.

Also managed to see snippets of other game highlights on the train home.

What leaps out at me if the lack of plain simple drive, buzz, urgency, enthusiasm in this Packers team.

Everyone else seem to be operating at a faster speed than the Packers

James Starks is done in the NFL, good guy but running parallel to the LOS is pointless.

Rogers seems to have no spark even though he played well, sour looking as last weeks milk.

Big shake up needed.

• Advertisement

Just have seen the game and it was terrible stuff.

Also managed to see snippets of other game highlights on the train home.

What leaps out at me if the lack of plain simple drive, buzz, urgency, enthusiasm in this Packers team.

Everyone else seem to be operating at a faster speed than the Packers

James Starks is done in the NFL, good guy but running parallel to the LOS is pointless.

Rogers seems to have no spark even though he played well, sour looking as last weeks milk.

Big shake up needed.

He literally has no help and as sad as it makes me to see Nelson is done as a wr1. Can't stretch the field at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

I still maintain its the defense thats the biggest problem this season. 24pts is an OK amount for the offense to score, especially considering the weakness at RB. Rogers did well, which was good to see.

Its just leaking 40+ pts was (again) the killer.

Blut2 wrote: »
    I still maintain its the defense thats the biggest problem this season. 24pts is an OK amount for the offense to score, especially considering the weakness at RB. Rogers did well, which was good to see.

Its just leaking 40+ pts was (again) the killer.

Not only this season, I'm afraid.

Strange isn't it that QBs Luck, Prescott, Mariotta, and now Cousins and don't forget the rookie Vikes QB all have had 'stellar performances' against the Packers.

Sums up the defense for me all huff and puff but little real impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Despite the hammering, had to laugh at this.. sums it all up really.

https://twitter.com/barstooltweetss/status/800559486939361280

• Advertisement

Despite the hammering, had to laugh at this.. sums it all up really.

https://twitter.com/barstooltweetss/status/800559486939361280

That one is soooo funny.

By the way he is 6'5' 245 lbs!!!!!

Kyler Fackerell

Anyone know when Capers deal is up?

You'd think if it's till the end of the season they could just consider letting him go now, it's pretty much a write off now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Lacy and shields are done for the season and possibly done in GB. Ted then went down to the local park and signed another db. I say every undrafted db has moved within the Wisconsin region waiting for the call

I don't think lacy is done
    He was having an ok season. Id say they'll offer him a prove yourself year contract then lose him

I don't think lacy is done
    He was having an ok season. Id say they'll offer him a prove yourself year contract then lose him

I know that. I like lacy too but his weight issues are a concern hopefully they will give him a year deal, but if we're drafting in the top 15 will they pass out fourette(spelling)

cosatron wrote: »
    I know that. I like lacy too but his weight issues are a concern hopefully they will give him a year deal, but if we're drafting in the top 15 will they pass out fourette(spelling)

Injury issues are a bigger concern for me,regarding Lacy.

I like him, but having a player who only lasts a third of the season consistently is not good.

cosatron wrote: »

We need wr's more than rbs imo

We need wr's more than rbs imo

we need allot of things:D

It would be an awful shame if Lacy has to be axed, it seems like only a short time ago when I felt with Rodgers, Nelson and to a lesser extent Cobb, and Matthews, we had superstars in a few positions...and that's kinda faded. But if he is injury prone well that's just the way it is and there is no room for sentiment.

good

Listening to the commentary from the area and the ball club,I predict a big shake up at the end of the season.

Watched the Lions and Vikes yesterday and based on that the Packers have no hope of making the playoffs.

Either team would tear the Packers apart.

As some guy said whatever happens between now and the end of the season happens, but, whatever happens the status quo is NOT an option for next season.

I completely concur with that.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

In my opinion Capers isn't the only problem.

The offence is tired, predictable, and stale.

Like it or lump it looks like the Pack will have to take a back seat for a few years,by the looks of it.

Yes they need to give Rogers more power, after all he is the highest paid person in the NFL, but the old waffle of " we need to take a step forward' in its various guises after every defeat is getting tiresome.

Time to take a few chances, try new things, cut the chains.

Now is the time to open up.

We still have good WRs... if they have some space to work udnerneath. The problem is that we have nobody to stretch the field to create this space, and no consistent RB threat to keep defenses honest. For me, a reliable RB (doesn't need to be a star, and we would do well to look into some in FA) would suffice, and of course a big play/deep threat WR & TE are both needed. The likes of Montgomery, Cobb, Adams and Nelson can still add a lot to our offense and give different looks etc, but we NEED the field to be stretched and a somewhat reliable running game. I really do have my doubts about McCarthy at this point though, because his gameplan/playcalling has been worked out and he has offered exactly zero flexibility in working around it. To be honest I don't think he can or will, and while we've never been a physical/intense offensive team, it means when the technical/tactical end isn't working at a very high level it gets very ugly, very quick.

On the other side of the ball, we could use a lot of work and potential overhauling in so, so many places... not least of all Capers. The only person I would hold on to in the entire organisation on or off the field if it meant also having to keep Capers would be Rodgers, and to be honest, even then I wouldn't be certain because Capers guarantees you that you will not win the SB with him there. He has played an amazing role in ruining what could have been a borderline dynasty team.

had a look at the Falcons Arizona game and the difference between either team and the Packers is plain to see.

Both had QBs not afraid to take chances, athletic receivers,north-south runners who rarely go sideways, a defense who can tackle and defend the pass.

Packers will do well to win two out of the next six.

hate to say that but that's how i see it

At last a bit of spark from the Packers.

Good win against Philly. Offence impressive, good tempo, good catches, and the O-Line did a terrific job.Great clock management and 3rd down conversions.

Starks and Adams and Cobb were standouts, still think Starks hasn't got it to bull through and Michael only got one carry.

Check out the hit by X Packer Allen Bairbre on # 52....!!!

Defense ....well they did their bit, went after Wentz still porous, but given the injuries hey...better than previous.

Hold the champagne though, Eagles were banged up but let's say, a chink of light

Disappointed to be honest, I'd much rather us lose out.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Disappointed to be honest, I'd much rather us lose out.

A win is a win, and I think everybody knows there are changes needed, no matter what happens.

Have use Rogers while they still can.

What pleased me most was the tempo - more quick passes and less of this scrambling around.

On the D side, still giving away huge chunks down the middle, and allowing a lot of loooooong series of plays.

Better penetration by the front 5 too.

However the next game will tell us a lot more.

A win is a win, and I think everybody knows there are changes needed, no matter what happens.
    We've said that every year for a good half decade, on the Capers front anyway. I have no faith in the Packers anymore to not be happy to settle for mediocrity on one side of the ball so long as the other side masks it (which sounds like what happened last night). On top of that some early draft picks would be great, but I want us to lose out if that is what it takes to see the back of at least Dom Capers.

Rodgers getting his mojo back is a big, big deal though.

We don't need any more games to tell us any more, we've known the truth on this for 50+ games, which is that nothing is being won with Capers around. Whatever has to happen for him to go, simply has to happen. It's already 3-4 years too late as is.

Missed it, fell asleep watching videos of Ahman Green and wishing...woke up with just a few minutes left in 4th...

Apparently a record this season in 3rd down conversions.

But...that Ahman Green...

• Advertisement

Advertisement