Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Billy86 wrote: »
    He's more likely the lad who has been watching us for the last several years, or rather, watching Capers' find a way to lose, time and time again. And that was when our offense was playing out of this world, and Rodgers on a level arguably never seen before in any QB ever.

Capers must go, I have no problem with that.

However to advocate satisfaction in losing matches to obtain higher draft picks does not sit well with me.

Ask the Browns, the Bucs, the Jags, possibly the Texans what those draft picks achieved.

Answer very little.

Packers performance over the last eight years has been great, sure we didn't get to the big one but only a bizarre series of events vs Seattle prevented that.

Success in the NFL is achieved by progressive development and team spirit, small tweaks, parachuting some #1 rookie into a bad TEAM rarely works.

So tell that "lad" the best way to success in the NFL is to nurture team spirit, to develope talent, to achieve a team ethos, to remove non triers and failures.

Being proud of the team you play for and support.

Hoping they lose to get in untried, in NFL terms, rookies, is not the way way I would go.

I have a bit of pride in the team I support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The thing is, if we make the playoffs then Capers stays. Hence, we must not make the playoffs. A few picks higher in the draft wouled be kind of nice but justifies little, it's really all about Capers going for me. If that means McCarthy and Thompson both having to go too, I'm actually at peace with that at this rate. It's insane, never seen anything like it in the sport - only Fisher at the Rams would be close but he's a head coach, not a coordinator.

You could however also look at the likes of the Raiders and Broncos and Harbaugh-era 49ers who used years of poor results to put together a really good team, not too applicable either way here mind as there are more elements that go into it like QB, locker room experience, team unity and such. Also as Collinsworth pointed out at the end of a Jags loss a few weeks ago, when you have a team stacked with top 10 draft picks, you don't really have anyone used to losing, so dealing with it becomes a serious issue.

Not sure why you put "lad" in quotation marks though, given you used the word first? :p

But fact is, if we make the playoffs Capers gets to stick around. If that happens, we can write off next year before it even starts as well. So we need to miss the playoffs, and best to do it in a year when the offense isn't up to much either.

The thing is, if we make the playoffs then Capers stays. Hence, we must not make the playoffs. A few picks higher in the draft wouled be kind of nice but justifies little, it's really all about Capers going for me. If that means McCarthy and Thompson both having to go too, I'm actually at peace with that at this rate. It's insane, never seen anything like it in the sport - only Fisher at the Rams would be close but he's a head coach, not a coordinator.

You could however also look at the likes of the Raiders and Broncos and Harbaugh-era 49ers who used years of poor results to put together a really good team, not too applicable either way here mind as there are more elements that go into it like QB, locker room experience, team unity and such. Also as Collinsworth pointed out at the end of a Jags loss a few weeks ago, when you have a team stacked with top 10 draft picks, you don't really have anyone used to losing, so dealing with it becomes a serious issue.

Not sure why you put "lad" in quotation marks though, given you used the word first? :p

But fact is, if we make the playoffs Capers gets to stick around. If that happens, we can write off next year before it even starts as well. So we need to miss the playoffs, and best to do it in a year when the offense isn't up to much either.

I'll put it in one sentence.

I want Capers out.

I want to win every game we play.

(Make that two)

Very nice win over the Seahawks, really blew them away.

Injuries to Rodgers and Cooke a concern.

OLine were magnificent .

In fact both sides of the ball were top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Awesome all round really. Rodgers had season's bests in completion percentage, average gain and passer rating. 6 turnovers, albeit a few were gifted.

But that calf muscle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Good performance all round. Rodgers was surgical and monty and micheals look good at RB. Defence looked good and putting burnett on Graham was a good call and ill like the cut of lowry, so onwards and upwards.

Had almost forgotten imperious displays like that. Kinda assumed we'd lose. Great to see them haul themselves off the ropes and just batter opponents in every department, highlight of the season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Enjoyable game.

I was looking forward to seeing what Brett Hundley could do in the 4th Quarter...only for the station I was watching it on to randomly decide to stop showing the game because it was a foregone conclusion, instead switching to broadcasting the Saints vs Chiefs game! First time I can remember that happening in a while.

I wonder was wilson's water frozen and kudos to Richard Rodgers for holding onto the ball

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote: »
    I wonder was wilson's water frozen and kudos to Richard Rodgers for holding onto the ball

Took a big hit !!

Still would rather whatever it takes to get Capers gone, but handing Russell Wilson (it's alright lads, God told him to throw those 5 picks as a test of him) his first loss by over 10+ loss is always nice, and seeing Rodgers* and the line back playing top quality is always welcome, even if it is likely only in anticipation of next year. The NFC is kind of lacking any scary teams outside of Dallas, but still wouldn't at all hold my breath by any stretch.

*No smugness from Pats fans about PSI levels in the main threads the last few weeks I see........ ;)

nice corner blitz here by ringo:)

cosatron wrote: »
    nice corner blitz here by ringo:)

Nice one

seiphil wrote: »
    I still think we will do ok with Cobb and Adams as the main men now. Hopefully Montgomery or Abbrederis can step up.

I think he has...maybe not in a way any of us expected!

And that, right there, in a nutshell, is why we need to miss the playoffs or whatever it might take for Dom Capers to get fired. In apparently one of the coldest games in NFL history, the Bears put up the most points they have all season and almost 450 yards of offense.

And that, right there, in a nutshell, is also why Aaron Rodgers really is God.

Happy for the way we won, but ultimately it's going to hurt this club.

A major plus the last few weeks has been Ty Montgomery at RB though, really does seem a proper long term option. Also the kind of back that lets us have a lot of options for our 2nd and 3rd guys there (1 north/south type, 1 wild card) due to his pass catching threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

On top of feeling good about Montgomery at RB, have to point out the following:

7 catches, 124 yards, 17.7avg
    6 catches, 41 yards, 6.8avg... but 2 TDs
    8 catches, 118 yards, 14.8avg... 1 TD
    8 catches, 91 yards, 11.4avg
    3 catches, 28 yards, 9.8avg... 1 TD
    12 catches, 126 yards, 10.6avg... 1 TD
    7 catches, 94 yards, 13.4avg... 1 TD
    4 catches, 94 yards, 23.5 avg... 1 TD

I think it's fair to say that Jordy is well and truly back! :D

The offense seems to slowly be getting back towards where it was from 2009-14, and though Cobb has slipped up Adams (two wretched drops today in the endzone, mind) looks to be filling the space. Still needs improvements, but the worries from the last year and a half seem to be on the way out at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Rodger's back must be awful sore from carrying this inept coaching staff for 7 years.

• Advertisement

And that, right there, in a nutshell, is why we need to miss the playoffs or whatever it might take for Dom Capers to get fired. In apparently one of the coldest games in NFL history, the Bears put up the most points they have all season and almost 450 yards of offense.

And that, right there, in a nutshell, is also why Aaron Rodgers really is God.

Happy for the way we won, but ultimately it's going to hurt this club.

A major plus the last few weeks has been Ty Montgomery at RB though, really does seem a proper long term option. Also the kind of back that lets us have a lot of options for our 2nd and 3rd guys there (1 north/south type, 1 wild card) due to his pass catching threat.

Appalled by the display in the 4th quarter. Apart from the last series.

Same problems arose, and it went on throughout the game.

No pressure on the Quarterback.

Could set his feet and throw practically unimpeded and gouge huge yardage almost at will al it straight down the middle.

That said Adams dropped two perfect passes in the end zone and Jordi one which he would normally pull in.

Montgomery and Cooke were stellar as was Rogers.

I disagree totally that we need to lose games .

Capers has to go at the end of the season.

Surely you don't need not to make the playoffs to see that.

That's defeatist talk and something I would have no truck with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Appalled by the display in the 4th quarter. Apart from the last series.

Same problems arose, and it went on throughout the game.

No pressure on the Quarterback.

Could set his feet and throw practically unimpeded and gouge huge yardage almost at will al it straight down the middle.

That said Adams dropped two perfect passes in the end zone and Jordi one which he would normally pull in.

Montgomery and Cooke were stellar as was Rogers.

I disagree totally that we need to lose games .

Capers has to go at the end of the season.

Clearly you must only follow us a year, this druss on defence has been going on years, you'd think last year would of been it

Clearly you must only follow us a year, this druss on defence has been going on years, you'd think last year would of been it

Anyone ??

Well I was delighted we beat the Bears. And if we win the division, I'll be punching the air.

I'd love to believe that to be true, but if it were he would have been gone after the Cardinals debacle last year (people also forget when we were giving up insane amounts of yardage during last year), or the Seahawks embarrassment the year before (how that didn't finish him off, I still don't know), or the year before when we were bottom 10 in points, yards, yards per play and turnovers and let Kaepernick put up 100 yards rushing on us, or the year before when we let the 49ers put up their highest points total of the season on us (45) with Kaepernick getting 180 yards on top of Gore's 120, or the year before (though would have been a bit reactionary on the back of a SB), or the year before where we gave up one of the higher total yardage amounts ever and the 3rd most yards per play in the 46 years since the merger.

With Fisher sacked a few weeks back, Capers' somehow still being a job is the most inexplicable coaching employment situation in the entire NFL.

One silver lining is that the NFC is kind of weak, the Cowboys are of course a bit scary but I think Rodgers & co hitting form could feat on their defense and pray for a turnover or rookie nerves from Elliott/Prescott. Every other team is very, very beatable in my opinion if the offense keeps clicking - in spite of Capers. Would also be excellent to see Rodgers get a third MVP award (he's certainly in the discussion at this point, it's a really open field with Ryan/Carr/Brady/Elliott/Prescott though I don't think the latter two will get it due to splitting votes & their godly offensive line), especially after the nonsense talk from Pats fans about him relying on over-inflated balls from earlier in the year. :p

It was Special Teams that screwed against the Seahawks to be fair.

Lads by the way, I'm following the Packers for a long time,a very long time, I kinda know that the D has sucked for quite a considerable period.

I want Capers out, I trust the management to see all the signs, all the huge yardages and records achieved against the Packers this year and previous years.

I even remember the 4th and 26 vs the Eagles when a simple stop would d have won the game.

Not being narky but I don't need history lessons.

It was Special Teams that screwed against the Seahawks to be fair.

Lads by the way, I'm following the Packers for a long time,a very long time, I kinda know that the D has sucked for quite a considerable period.

I want Capers out, I trust the management to see all the signs, all the huge yardages and records achieved against the Packers this year and previous years.

I even remember the 4th and 26 vs the Eagles when a simple stop would d have won the game.

Not being narky but I don't need history lessons.
    Re the 4th and 26, I remember it well myself... and I remember that we had a new defensive coordinator the year after.

If management have not seen the signs yet after half a decade of it, what will make this year any different? If we make the playoffs, he keeps his job, it's that simple.

As for the Seahawks game, special teams screwed up the onside kick, and screwed it up badly - nobody is denying that. But it was the defense that gave up 3 TDs (and a 2 point conversion) on 3 drives - 69 yards, 78 yards, and 87 yards respectively.

If management have not seen the signs yet after half a decade of it, what will make this year any different? If we make the playoffs, he keeps his job, it's that simple...

But we don't know that. If it was a certainty that making the playoffs would see him stay and losing would see him go, then I might be less enthused about the prospect of winning. But as either is far from clear cut, I'm more of the idea that I want us to win as many and go as far as possible and whatever will be will be in terms of hirings and firings. Plus the NFC North title is still something to be proud of, hated losing it last year. The Lions would love what we consider failure.

On a positive front. If we win out, who will we likely play. We will be the 4th seed. If we get f**ked by the giants again in lambeau that will be depressing.

• Advertisement

Re the 4th and 26, I remember it well myself... and I remember that we had a new defensive coordinator the year after.

If management have not seen the signs yet after half a decade of it, what will make this year any different? If we make the playoffs, he keeps his job, it's that simple.

As for the Seahawks game, special teams screwed up the onside kick, and screwed it up badly - nobody is denying that. But it was the defense that gave up 3 TDs (and a 2 point conversion) on 3 drives - 69 yards, 78 yards, and 87 yards respectively.

You are forgetting the fake field goal then, which started the whole disaster ?

Advertisement