Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

You are forgetting the fake field goal then, which started the whole disaster ?

And the three first half turnovers in Seattle territory that the offense couldn't turn into touchdowns. A lot of Packers fans have very selective memory when it comes to that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ScummyMan wrote: »
    And the three first half turnovers in Seattle territory that the offense couldn't turn into touchdowns. A lot of Packers fans have very selective memory when it comes to that game.

Hardly the biggest indictment against the league's #1 defense for points, yards, passing yards, yards per play, and rushing yards, away from home, who had given up an average of 7.5 points per game in the 7 games previous that we wound up with 22 against. The defense was playing well in that game... right up until it mattered most, as per usual. That said, not going for it on 4th and 1 on Seattle's goal line twice in the first quarter is still haunting.

---

Anyway, on a more positive note Haha Clinton Dix has kicked on to his first Pro Bowl along with TJ Lang & Rodgers. Jordy Nelson and Mike Daniels both miss out. :)

Random statistic, I'm not a fan of putting a lot more weight in 'last two minute' stats, but still... kind of cool. :)

ESPN: Do you think Aaron Rodgers has a flair for the dramatic? Over the past two seasons, Rodgers is 4-of-6 when passing 40 or more yards downfield in the final two minutes of regulation. The rest of the NFL is 2-of-39 in those situations. The Packers hope to not need a late-game bomb to win against the Vikings this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Billy86 wrote: »
    Random statistic, I'm not a fan of putting a lot more weight in 'last two minute' stats, but still... kind of cool. :)

ESPN: Do you think Aaron Rodgers has a flair for the dramatic? Over the past two seasons, Rodgers is 4-of-6 when passing 40 or more yards downfield in the final two minutes of regulation. The rest of the NFL is 2-of-39 in those situations. The Packers hope to not need a late-game bomb to win against the Vikings this week.

To be fair people used the ar doesn't lead 4th quarter comebacks as a stick to beat him with despite the fact packers are either winning in the 4th quarter or impossibly far behind. Silly stat

To be fair people used the ar doesn't lead 4th quarter comebacks as a stick to beat him with despite the fact packers are either winning in the 4th quarter or impossibly far behind. Silly stat
    Completely agree, it doesn't mean much - it's just a fun silly stat more than anything.

There's also the fact that (as of 2014) his defense had lost the lead in the last 60/90 seconds 4th quarter for him than Brady and Manning combined - think it might have been more than double them combined. This despite the fact that at the start of the 2014 season, Rodgers had 103 starts compared to their 457 combined. Can't remember the exact figures, but it was absolutely jarring when I looked it up at the time. Another thing to thank Dom for, I guess. :p

• Advertisement

My Christmas wish is for peace and love between Billy and Dom, or at least leave the trenches and throw a ball to each other for a while...:)

My Christmas wish is for peace and love between Billy and Dom, or at least leave the trenches and throw a ball to each other for a while...:)

Merry Christmas everyone and feck it I hope we win tonight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Patww79 wrote: »

Win,but for me not convincing.

Defense again giving up big chunks down the middle

38-25 final score.

In my opinion will not be good enough to beat Detroit.

Win,but for me not convincing.

Defense again giving up big chunks down the middle

38-25 final score.

In my opinion will not be good enough to beat Detroit.

Win/win for me next week at this stage. We either get a shot at the playoffs against an NFC field that really doesn't scare me all too much (seems a weak year in the conference, in my opinion) or Capers surely, finally, years-too-late, gets fired. How Rodgers & the offense have been playing lately has really helped to highlight it for if we miss out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Run the table. Rodgers is on fire. I like our odds when his this hot and so what if we have to score 40 odd points to win games. It's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A few people here must have been fuming when the American commentator came out with "there's Capers, one of the best defense coaches in the game", when he appeared on screen.

Jofspring wrote: »
    A few people here must have been fuming when the American commentator came out with "there's Capers, one of the best defense coaches in the game", when he appeared on screen.

Fuming??No?? Laughing hysterically? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

I wonder if the lions will rest a lot of their starters for next week against the Cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

limerickfc wrote: »
    I wonder if the lions will rest a lot of their starters for next week against the Cowboys
    I wouldn't count on it.
    If they win tomorrow night they will make the playoffs, regardless of the result against ye next week.

Last night really did sum a lot up quite well - on the plus side (and it's a major plus) if there was any doubt whatsoever that Rodgers, Nelson and the offense are not back to around their 2014 level it is now fully gone. Things slowed in the second half, though the 10 points in the fourth quarter were enough to put the game beyond reach, but that first half was the best I've seen from us offensively in two years (off the top of my head at least). The offensive line also played very, very well and Cook looked like he can provide the deeper threat we have needed at TE for years, while Geronimo Allison also played well at WR. Along with Monty's work at RB (though he needs to considerably improve pass blocking in the offseason) at this rate, we're not going to need much focus on offense in the draft. Don't forget, that's the third best pass defense in the entire league we just did that to. Excellent, excellent stuff.

On defense however... we let Sam Bradford throw for the most yards of his entire career against us, and if not for some excellent individual plays by Matthews as well as an opportunistic fumble recovery on a Vikings botched snap, they could have put up a lot more. He was averaging about 6.0 per attempt before last night, but put up 7.65 per attempt against us. We also game up 93 yards rushing on just 20 attempts, a 4.65 average for a Vikings team that was averaging something like 2.9 per carry before last night. In the last two weeks, we have played two very poor offenses in Chicago and Minnesota, both of which also have a very large number of injuries, and have managed to give up 940 yards of offense and 52 points.

I'm pretty confident for a win next week, and due to Prescott/Elliot's inexperience and the Falcons having a very poor defense also I do think we have a shot to beat anyone in the conference during them... that said, there are a few teams who could very conceivably put 50+ up on us come January with the way our defense is playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

limerickfc wrote: »

Cowboys have the #1 seed wrapped up, so they could be resting starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Has the lions loss any implications for the pack in the playoffs.
    Are we still 'in' even if we lose against the lions?
    What's best and worst case scenario now in terms of next weeks games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Patww79 wrote: »

Given that I can only see wins for the hawks and giants, we're either playing the giants at home or the hawks in Seattle so?

I'm actually wondering would we be better off losing!!

So.... Rex Ryan has been fired. A proven failure at head coach, but he could be an interesting candidate for defensive coordinator in the offseason (though at this point I'm about 85% sure Capers will be back, barring retirement). He likes his defenses to play nasty which is always nice to see, did some great work in Baltimore and with the Jets on that side of the ball, things went sour in the latter and it didn't work out in Buffalo but being able to focus solely on defense might get the best out of him. I'd take Fangio first, but highly doubt he'll be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Billy86 wrote: »
    So.... Rex Ryan has been fired. A proven failure at head coach, but he could be an interesting candidate for defensive coordinator in the offseason (though at this point I'm about 85% sure Capers will be back, barring retirement). He likes his defenses to play nasty which is always nice to see, did some great work in Baltimore and with the Jets on that side of the ball, things went sour in the latter and it didn't work out in Buffalo but being able to focus solely on defense might get the best out of him. I'd take Fangio first, but highly doubt he'll be available.

8 seasons. 2 AFC Championship games. Only 2 seasons with losing records. I'm not sure he'd be classed as a proven failure!

I'd suspect his personality might be a bit brash for TT and MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

His mouth is way too big for a small market team.

Chandler Jones could become a free agent this year. Worth a look if he is imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

digzy wrote: »
    Given that I can only see wins for the hawks and giants, we're either playing the giants at home or the hawks in Seattle so?

I'm actually wondering would we be better off losing!!

Giants cannot improve their playoff position win or lose against Washington.

Be a bit concerned there.

We really need to beat the Lions and in Ford Field I am doubtful that we can.

Why.

Defence.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Advertisement