Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

ScummyMan wrote: »
    His mouth is way too big for a small market team.

Yeah, for all the valid criticism of Dom Capers, at least he's not into that cult of personality thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Yeah, for all the valid criticism of Dom Capers, at least he's not into that cult of personality thing.

You need to show some sort of competency for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Patww79 wrote: »
    Rex Ryan wouldn't do anything with that secondary anyway.

I remember you were using that excuse for capers pretty recently, saying how the safeties have been poor, especially Dix, so watchagonnado? Might make sense to revise that with Dix going to the pro bowl.

Similar excuses were made for capers by some before about having to play with the likes of Casey Hayward. In his first year since leaving GB, Hayward is also going to the pro bowl.

• Advertisement

The pro bowl is notorious for players getting picked on reputation of having been there before, meaning more deserving younger players often don't get voted in. That doesn't wash with Dix, as he is only in his third year, is playing on a struggling defense, and has not been to the Pro Bowl before. 'Half the season still to play' also doesn't wash as he has gotten better and better as the year has gone on - just last week he was named NFL defensive player of the week.

Dix has played very well this season, has played over 99% of our snaps this season and last, is a leader on the team, and has come on strong as his career has progressed - second on the team in tackles (led the team last year), and second in the league for INTs (only behind Casey Hayward who looks so much better away from Capers). On top of that he has 3.5 sacks, a forced fumble, fumble recovered and 10 passes defensed in that time, 7 of which have come this season.

He is on pace with, if not ahead of where Butler, Collins and Sharper were at this stage in their careers. The only way you could claim he's not living up to what he promised to be is if you expected him to be Ed Reed, getting All Pro spots right off the bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I always think the Pro Bowl is like the Railway Cups.

Way past sell by, but no one has the cahunas to pull the plug on it.

Absolute and utter waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Big one tonight.

I say it will be close but we will shade it. A late touchdown on the last series.

Go Pack Go!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Thankfully I'm not back in work until Tuesday so I will be taking in the game.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Skins choke, playoffs again boys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Winner hosts the Giants, loser travels to Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

So who is it then depending on tonight? Giants at Lambeau or @ Dallas?

Edit - forgot about the wildcards. @ Seattle then. Either way, it's not ending well.

Full of optimism as usual! I wouldn't fear either of those.

49ers came close to doing us a really, really big favour!

The Skins scared me a bit after our earlier encounter, their offense is a horrific match up for our defense (as is just about every passing offense :p ) but as much as I was happy for us to miss out if it meant the end of Capers (bad side of this is he is now back next year, barring retirement) the conference really does stack up well for us. I'm confident we've just got too much for the Lions whose momentum seems to have slid quite a bit (*touch wood tonight, mind you!*), the Seahawks really look a lot weaker this year especially with Earl Thomas gone, I reckon Rodgers can put up points on that Giants defense and their offense has been poor this year. Atlanta could put up 50 on us, but on the other hand we could put up 50 on them... if we meet them, it'll be the best game of the entire playoffs. Dallas' line is petrifying, but we are actually quite good against the run and can tackle from the secondary which will be important - plus two rookies at RB and QB in the playoffs could spell trouble for them at some point, and Rodgers I have full faith can exploit that defense a lot.

Let's hope someone can upset the Patriots in the AFC while we're at it!

We're in now, all or nothing at this point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rodgers leads the league in TD passes, with tonight's game still to go!

Nelson also leads the league in TD receptions!

I'll eat my hat on one thing - Capers did an amazing job with only one CB (a second year UDFA at that) in the second half to only give up 3 points (edit: 10 points with the Hail Mary). Might be worth trying some safeties back out there in the playoffs at this rate, but have to take the hat off to him.

Aaron Rodgers is not a human being though. On the first TD drive he seemed to literally vanish from sight upon getting sacked, show up 3 yards ahead of where it happened, aaaand makes the play. Later on, in another TD drive he does a Michael Vick impression scrambling in his own half. Then on another TD drive on 3rd and short, he takes a page from Russell Wilson's book and rolls out left for a first. 40 TDs on the season, 4 on the night with 300 yards but phenomenal as he is passing it people forget the 43 yards on the ground tonight to bring him to 370 on the year, and with how smart he is - every single yard counts on the ground. RELAX, run the table... the guy is the utter definition of the word 'leader'.

Then Collinsworth reminds us all of the record breaking 5 games lost on the last play of the game in the playoffs. :o

Collinsworth just said Saturday night is Lions/Seahawks game, so hopefully we get a reasonable 6 or 9pm Sunday game next week (or at least 9pm Saturday!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Giants it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good win - solid for the Pack.

Did not think they would do it, it's playoffs now so anything could happen.

Was concerned early on about Zenner but Pack curbed him in the second half.

Rogers was terrific back to full fitness, hope the lad who was injured makes a full recovery.

Bring on the Giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

With eliot wolf being in the organization for 13 years and doing scouting reports since the age of 10 for his dad, I would find it very hard to believe that murphy and the board would put that kind of effort into him and then let him ride of into the sunset, I read rumours that TT is going to take up a scout advisory role and eliot to take the reins at the end of the season.
    regarding the match on sunday. I think we will score 25 plus points but the game will rest on the amount of pressure our dline get on eli, if we don't get enough of pressure on him its game over considering the play from our corners this year. I'm going for the win, 25-18 with mountgomery, A-ROD and Matthews having big games. GO PACK GO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My understanding is that a team can block a request to interview for a sideways move (eg OC-OC, GM-GM) but not if there's an "upgrade" (ie OC-HC, Scouting- GM). The move to interview for Lions GM was able to be blocked because the final personel decision in Detroit doesn't lie with the GM, or something, so it could be viewed as a sideways move, rather than a promotion.

Haha Clinton Dix fails to live up to his promise all the way to a second team All Pro position, along with David Bakhtiari who has kind of quietly stepped up immensely this season. Jordy and Bulaga each finished one vote off the second team.

Either we heal now, as a team
    Or we will die, as individuals,
    That's football guys,
    That's all it is...

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Random statistic, I'm not a fan of putting a lot more weight in 'last two minute' stats, but still... kind of cool. :)

ESPN: Do you think Aaron Rodgers has a flair for the dramatic? Over the past two seasons, Rodgers is 4-of-6 when passing 40 or more yards downfield in the final two minutes of regulation. The rest of the NFL is 2-of-39 in those situations. The Packers hope to not need a late-game bomb to win against the Vikings this week.

*Ahem* :D

Advertisement