Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Great win in the end last night. Started out absolutely shocking and I thought we were in for a long night after the first quarter but that was some turn around. Masterclass from Rodgers in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jofspring wrote: »
    Great win in the end last night. Started out absolutely shocking and I thought we were in for a long night after the first quarter but that was some turn around. Masterclass from Rodgers in the end.

Indeed, Randall Cobb made a huge difference as well.

Hopefully Jordi haven't cracked ribs which would rule out next week.

Good solid performance except some concern for the lack of real ground game.

But that's nitpicking a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Indeed, Randall Cobb made a huge difference as well.

Hopefully Jordi haven't cracked ribs which would rule out next week.

Good solid performance except some concern for the lack of real ground game.

But that's nitpicking a bit.

I think we did quite well running the ball, once we actually got into it - Christine Michael had 47 yards on 10 carries I believe, and about another 10 from Monty.

Amazing game to watch as a fan, though the first half until the first TD was maybe the worst I ever recall a GB team playing. Rodgers was playing terrible, but maybe worst of all was the play calling - we seemed to be doing play action with deep routes on every single play, but in the first 25 minutes of the game we ran the ball just 3 times. That's remarkably stupid, the Giants never bought into it nor would anyone, and it showed. The line did some great work in the first half though, despite the lack of output - Rodgers really needed to be getting rid of it a lot quicker in that scenario.

From the last drive of the half though, it all changed - running plays, short slanting routes, stretching the field horizontally and keeping the Giants on their toes over what we were going to do. Between that drive and the second half, we had 16 carries for 68 yards which is productive for essentially one half of football, especially with the Giants being 3rd in rushing yards allowed and 2nd in rushing yards per carry - they're not skewed either as our longest run was 10 yards. Just short, good-enough, consistent pick ups which is going to be enough against just about anyone to give Rodgers the chance to take over.

And we all saw what happened! The Giants had only allowed one team score more than 24 points on them all season (Redskins, 29pts in week 3) and we put up 38 in 34 minutes of play. After going 6-of-13 for 54 yards (and a good 4-5 sacks despite good protection, as well as the justified grounding call) in the first half, in the second he went 19-of-27 for 308 yards and 4 TDs, without his best receiver. The Giants have given up about the are 23rd in bulk passing yards, but are 7th best in the league for yards per attempt.

The defense was great throughout, and as much as I can't stand him I have to give Capers credit where it's due - the same for Micah Hyde and Jake Ryan who were quietly perhaps our best two defenders. If not for Rodgers completely going off in the second half I'd say Hyde could be considered for the game ball, his return play was also very good (despite the block in the back penalty we get every single week bringing one back). Ryan just seemed to be everywhere at times and looks like he might be that coverage ILB we've been so badly lacking for so long. Everyone across the secondary impressed a lot, and apart from their TD it was good to see Randall have a decent game - hopefully that INT at the end boosts his confidence with three games left, because we all know from last season that he is more than capable.

That 4th-and-1 is one of the worst calls of the season.

If we can play like we did in the second, and the defense can keep it together, we could be looking at a potentially epic game in Atlanta in two weeks(I don't see them losing to Seattle). Hopefully the playoffs also play on Elliott/Prescott's nerves a bit, though we have a good run defense - we won't stop him altogether, but keeping Elliott under 100 or so and trying to force it into a Rodgers vs Prescott affair would play massively in our favour, Rodgers in a dome on his recent form could be absolutely devastating - I've a feeling this game is going to go over 50 total points. We really need to stick with what's been working, not try any funny or silly stuff, and keep the offense balanced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

well that was awesome. I can't really add to what billy has already said, only that peppers amazes me, comes up with plays when we needed them must. On to dallas, hopefully they will let michaels of the leash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Michael looked dangerous whenever he got the ball. Hopefully he plays a bigger role against the Cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Blut2 wrote: »
    Michael looked dangerous whenever he got the ball. Hopefully he plays a bigger role against the Cowboys.

He was certainly fired up, looks a little light for a bludgeoning RB, but in fairness is lightning if he gets open field in front of him.

No use expecting him to run over people though.

I like him, would love to see him having a big game vs the Cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I think Montgomery's versatility as a WR and RB will see him keep the starting job, but I expect and hope CMike will get more carries. The passing game is where it's at though and as long as Elliott is kept under wraps (under 100yds and a TD would be doing very well) and a shootout between Dak and Rodgers emerges we should win this.

A lot will come down to how well the O-Line can allow Rodgers to run out of the pocket and work his magic, and how the D-Line can stop Elliot and not give Dak enough time to get big passes downfield (which is easier said than done against the best O-Line in the league) as the backfield is still fairly muck tbh. I expect Peppers and Matthews to have massive games again like last night though.

Jordy being out would be a blow, but there's plenty of options in the receiving dept. and with the way Rodgers is playing at the moment, he can throw to anyone, even though Adams is playing out of his skin and Cobb looked on fire last night.

I'm looking forward to this after a poor wildcard weekend imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Is there any word on Nelson yet actually? I was hoping some news would have come out by now but I'm not seeing anything.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Is there any word on Nelson yet actually? I was hoping some news would have come out by now but I'm not seeing anything.

https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/818556846592196610
    MM also said Jordy "will be in the rehab group until Friday... If he can practice [Saturday], then he has a chance."
    My guess is this is stall tactics to disrupt the Cowboys game planning.

This is the latest over on r/GreenBayPackers. I'd say this poster is right and McCarthy's stalling so the Cowboys are forced to prepare for either scenario even though I'd say he already knows whether he'll be ready or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Seems he has atleast 2 fractured ribs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

No chance he plays this week obviously, haven broken a rib myself before I'll be very surprised if we see him again this season. It hurts to even breathe for weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'm amazed there hasn't been a fine for hitting with the crown

ScummyMan wrote: »
    No chance he plays this week obviously, haven broken a rib myself before I'll be very surprised if we see him again this season. It hurts to even breathe for weeks after.

I'd say it'd very much depend, remember Tony Romo playing with a broken rib and punctured lung.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Just a heads up, Greenbay @ Dallas is on Sky Sports Mix for anyone with sky.

I think we should tank for the good draft pick.. :P

Man Aaron Rodgers is something else. Best I've ever seen.

Defence turned into a complete shambles there at the end.

The defense continues to be a complete confidence unit which is extremely worrying, though I think some was the line being completely gassed playing against that Cowboys unit by the end, but holy sweet jaysus!!

My confidence is not nearly as high for next week, doubt we keep Atlanta under 40... but hey, we've got Rodgers. You score 40? Feck it, let's score 50!

Billy86 wrote: »
    The defense continues to be a complete confidence unit which is extremely worrying, though I think some was the line being completely gassed playing against that Cowboys unit by the end, but holy sweet jaysus!!

My confidence is not nearly as high for next week, doubt we keep Atlanta under 40... but hey, we've got Rodgers. You score 40? Feck it, let's score 50!

In the dome, it's gonna be a cracker. Over/under 70 points?

ScummyMan wrote: »
    In the dome, it's gonna be a cracker. Over/under 70 points?

60 on paddy. Usually avoid anything over 50 but this is tempting...

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt4nwbE2K74FUl06VQ5jBgr7_G7FMy5SK3EL-1bUfqWzYiT19l
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Any chance Jordy, rollins and Martinez will be back for next week. Hopefully burnett just has a bruise quad. Some crack last night, I felt physically sick when dallas got level but we got there. Can't wait for next week cause Rodgers loves that dome in Atlanta.

cosatron wrote: »
    Any chance Jordy, rollins and Martinez will be back for next week. Hopefully burnett just has a bruise quad. Some crack last night, I felt physically sick when dallas got level but we got there. Can't wait for next week cause Rodgers loves that dome in Atlanta.

Jordy should play next week. Obviously broken ribs take 6 weeks or so to heal, but they'll put on a kevlar vest I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

What are we going to do when Rodgers eventually retires. I don't think I could be happy with another quarterback ever again.

He's just special.

seiphil wrote: »
    What are we going to do when Rodgers eventually retires. I don't think I could be happy with another quarterback ever again.

He's just special.

I presume the same things were said when Favre was around.

Patww79 wrote: »
    You'd take Favre over Rodgers!?

Patww79 wrote: »

I know, but I couldn't agree... Rodgers 2010-present* is playing on a level no QB ever has. He's as explosive as Favre but better a bit on the ground, more efficient and has a LOT less turnovers. Even Favre's trump card over a lot of other all timers that he could do something seemingly impossible, Rodgers has.

*barring the second half of last season and first 1/4 or so of this one.

Brady is the GOAT for me at QB due to longevity, success, etc but I don't see how any QB over a 3-4 years period could be argued to be as good as Rodgers has been, and looks to be back to being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I would have had Favre for the peak of his career, and Rodgers for his. Wait, that's what we've had! Completely spoilt with two legendary QBs.

Great as Favre was, Rodgers' play has been simply insane at times. The ball placement on that last throw was ridiculous. His accuracy has been supernatural (or so it seems at times). He has an outrageous sixth sense in catching defenses with their pants down.

How about Mason Crosby for MVP? :pac:

Advertisement