Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Who do ye want for the DC job if ye were to fire him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Patww79 wrote: »

Could do better? They can't do much worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Fangio

cosatron wrote: »
    Fangio
    Ye can't get Fangio, he's already a DC, unless you're making him a head coach the Bears wouldn't let you talk to him. I mean if I don't like John Fox I can't just say I want Belichick.

Edit: just registered you might be being sarcastic. It's been a long day...

• Advertisement

Ye can't get Fangio, he's already a DC, unless you're making him a head coach the Bears wouldn't let you talk to him. I mean if I don't like John Fox I can't just say I want Belichick.

Edit: just registered you might be being sarcastic. It's been a long day...

I like Goldman too.

Why Fangio though? Don't get me wrong I am happy with him in Chicago, and I think it's just a personality thing that's keeping him from a hc position, but if you're hanging capers on his stats then the last season is no reason at all to be looking at Fangio.

Ftr I'm happy enough if ye keep capers, not that I'm an expert on the packers D but if you can put up 30 points against us and still nearly let a Matt Barkley offence back into the game, you're suspect. But i wouldn't be on board with anyone who wants to miss the playoffs for any reason. Take it from the enemy: it's habit forming, and it sucks.

Why Fangio though? Don't get me wrong I am happy with him in Chicago, and I think it's just a personality thing that's keeping him from a hc position, but if you're hanging capers on his stats then the last season is no reason at all to be looking at Fangio.

Ftr I'm happy enough if ye keep capers, not that I'm an expert on the packers D but if you can put up 30 points against us and still nearly let a Matt Barkley offence back into the game, you're suspect. But i wouldn't be on board with anyone who wants to miss the playoffs for any reason. Take it from the enemy: it's habit forming, and it sucks.

Tbh I was disappointed when we didn't drop capers for fangio when ye picked him up. I loved his defence at the 49ers.
    Capers has 6 of the top 10 worst defence playoff loss in packers history. He refuses to make changes mid game and schemes terribly for big games case in point, he left Gunter on an island with Julio Jones with Gunter having 4.7 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

James Starks and Sam Shields have been released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Shields is a big loss. His concussion record over the last few seasons is fairly horrifying though:
    Season Week Injury
    2016 7 concussion Injured Reserve
    2016 6 concussion Out
    2016 5 concussion Out
    2016 2 concussion Doubtful
    2015 DC concussion Questionable
    2015 WC concussion Doubtful
    2015 17 concussion Questionable
    2015 16 concussion Doubtful
    2015 15 concussion Out
    2014 14 concussion Questionable

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/sam-shields-player-injuries

Long term you'd have to really worry about his brain health if he keeps playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Is Tramon Williams done or will we take a chance in him in FA?

Is Tramon Williams done or will we take a chance in him in FA?

I hope not. His done. Luckily this years draft is deep in cb and edge rushers but good ole teddy will pluck someone from the PAC 12 who we never heard off

Yeah like that Clay Matthews bust he took. Never heard of him since.

The draft isn't a popularity contest, nor does every good player in the country play in the Big Ten or SEC.
    Ah come on pat. You have to admit perry, jones, Randall and Clarke have being a bit underwhelming for first round picks

Perry and Jones have been serviceable, nothing wonderful but they're playing at least. You're never guaranteed a superstar in the first round, especially low in the first round. Look at other teams picks. And a lot of them are missing on big name college players.

Serviceable for Jones is being kind. Would you draft a cb or dip into free agency

I haven't seen who the free agent CB's are but based on the fact that the current ones on the roster are terrible, they can't afford to bed in all rookies. Need some experience as well as talent there. Maybe there's nobody of value though.
    We diffinitely need experience instead of a rookie. I would love if they made a move for Gilmore from the bills. Good in coverage and physical. But he will be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Definitely agree on an experienced CB being much more important than a rookie this year. As for previous years first rounders, Perry was a disappointment but if he can continue on this season's form definitely won't be - 11 sacks in 14 games splitting snaps is pretty impressive imo. Randall was fantastic last year as a rookie, but a myriad of issues from awful defensive organisation, to poor playcalling, to injuries, to his own performance hurt a lot this year. Clarke is a d lineman, a position where rookies often take time to settle in - I actually liked a good deal of what I saw of him later on in the year. Jones is ok in rotation but for a first rounder, definitely a disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Billy86 wrote: »
    Definitely agree on an experienced CB being much more important than a rookie this year. As for previous years first rounders, Perry was a disappointment but if he can continue on this season's form definitely won't be - 11 sacks in 14 games splitting snaps is pretty impressive imo. Randall was fantastic last year as a rookie, but a myriad of issues from awful defensive organisation, to poor playcalling, to injuries, to his own performance hurt a lot this year. Clarke is a d lineman, a position where rookies often take time to settle in - I actually liked a good deal of what I saw of him later on in the year. Jones is ok in rotation but for a first rounder, definitely a disappointment.

I agree with this. Perry started off slowly for me, but played very well this season. If they keep him hopefully he can build on that. Jones hasn't been great, starting only 7 games in 4 seasons isn't the best. I was really impressed with Randall in his first year and Clark played well enough. He had the almost the same number of tackles as Jones did this season anyway.

I reckon they'll try sign a CB and also draft one in the first 3 rounds, who that is I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if they go very heavy on defence again this year. I just hope that it actually pays off for once.

All's quiet in packers land, as teddy is preparing an aggression free agency. Rumor has it that we a preparing for a trade with the eagles for conor barwin, this could be wild speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/838402475757613062

Man, I have had it up to here with Ted fcuking Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

ScummyMan wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/838402475757613062

Man, I have had it up to here with Ted fcuking Thompson.

I agree, time to ****ing spend some money, Ar aint going to be able be himself much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I don't quite know what he's hoarding all the money for. Rogers is going to get really annoyed an dispirited soon if he can't hang on to his favourite weapons.

Martellus Bennett on the way. Hmmmmmm. Bit of a risk given his niggling injuries, his reputation, acquiring him when presumably a SB ring drives up his contract etc.

Martellus Bennett on the way. Hmmmmmm. Bit of a risk given his niggling injuries, his reputation, acquiring him when presumably a SB ring drives up his contract etc.

He gets like 900+ yards a season, cooke only got something like 780 as his highest, I'd say he'll do well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

He's also on less money than what was offered to Cook apparently. Absolute steal imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've been unhappy with us not getting Cook signed up and secure earlier, but this is an excellent signing - apparently Bennett has something like the 4th most receiving yards among TE's over the last 4 seasons, and is a very quality option. Cook offered a bit more explosiveness (though Bennett has enough there), but Martellus is more consistent from what I've seen. Would love us to try and get a high upside TE somewhere in the draft after the first 2-3 rounds too and see what happens as it's apparently a year of freak athletes at that position, but feeling a lot better about this now. Hopefully we get an experienced, decent CB and resign Lang as well so we can focus on defense/BPA in the draft more.

Peppers returned to Carolina for anyone that missed it.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    I've been unhappy with us not getting Cook signed up and secure earlier, but this is an excellent signing - apparently Bennett has something like the 4th most receiving yards among TE's over the last 4 seasons, and is a very quality option. Cook offered a bit more explosiveness (though Bennett has enough there), but Martellus is more consistent from what I've seen. Would love us to try and get a high upside TE somewhere in the draft after the first 2-3 rounds too and see what happens as it's apparently a year of freak athletes at that position, but feeling a lot better about this now. Hopefully we get an experienced, decent CB and resign Lang as well so we can focus on defense/BPA in the draft more.

Peppers returned to Carolina for anyone that missed it.

I want a wr but its a weak class from what i see, so ill take defence but we really need offensive weapons

Advertisement