Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Don't think we do, our offense was playing pretty great last year. Bennett is the weapon and TE, Nelson is a top 10 WR, Cobb and Adams are very good #2 and #3 options - we just need to hope Cobb has regained his form, and know Adams can be frustrating but he was a 70 catch, 1,000yd, 10+ TD receiver last year. I also really liked what I saw from Geronimo late last season at #4. At RB I think Michaels/Monty + a bruiser (whether it's Lacy or not) can do a decent job, and am excited to see how Monty develops (especially at pass blocking!), I really like Rip at FB and our line is very good. Despite the early struggles, we had the fourth highest scoring offense in the league last year.

A stud RB landing to us in the first 2 rounds would be very tempting but unless Lang goes, I'd much rather see us invest on defense there (or in FA). A deep threat WR would be grand but we can more than afford to take one later down the line and develop them.

I mean granted it all means sweet f*** all because we know Capers will cost us it all yet again, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Billy86 wrote: »
    Don't think we do, our offense was playing pretty great last year. Bennett is the weapon and TE, Nelson is a top 10 WR, Cobb and Adams are very good #2 and #3 options - we just need to hope Cobb has regained his form, and know Adams can be frustrating but he was a 70 catch, 1,000yd, 10+ TD receiver last year. I also really liked what I saw from Geronimo late last season at #4. At RB I think Michaels/Monty + a bruiser (whether it's Lacy or not) can do a decent job, and am excited to see how Monty develops (especially at pass blocking!), I really like Rip at FB and our line is very good. Despite the early struggles, we had the fourth highest scoring offense in the league last year.

A stud RB landing to us in the first 2 rounds would be very tempting but unless Lang goes, I'd much rather see us invest on defense there (or in FA). A deep threat WR would be grand but we can more than afford to take one later down the line and develop them.

I mean granted it all means sweet f*** all because we know Capers will cost us it all yet again, but still.

Nelson who i love is 32 this season,cobb has proven he cant step up to be number 1. our wr after this year will be looking very thin imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Nelson who i love is 32 this season,cobb has proven he cant step up to be number 1. our wr after this year will be looking very thin imo

What about Adams? I thought he really came on last season and took the WR2 tag away from Cobb. He was 3yds short of reaching a thousand yds in the regular season and had 12TD's aswell.

Given that he's only 24 and Nelson has a few years left, I think he can become the WR1 if he keeps on developing.

What about Adams? I thought he really came on last season and took the WR2 tag away from Cobb. He was 3yds short of reaching a thousand yds in the regular season and had 12TD's aswell.

Given that he's only 24 and Nelson has a few years left, I think he can become the WR1 if he keeps on developing.

You said it yourself, he's wr2, which means cobb is wr3, and outside of freaks like fitz show me a top wr over 32? not many and they are suually size freaks like megatron, I've a feeling we'll see nelson regression start this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

You said it yourself, he's wr2, which means cobb is wr3, and outside of freaks like fitz show me a top wr over 32? not many and they are suually size freaks like megatron, I've a feeling we'll see nelson regression start this year

I wouldn't be against taking one, but I'd rather they focus on defence. Nelson is getting on a bit, but there should be another season or two of very good play out of him. Hopefully by that stage Adams will have taken over the mantle of top receiver. With Cobb and Bennett there as well there are 4 very good targets for Rodgers this season. If they take a receiver early they aren't going to play much unless they hit the jackpot. I'd happily see them take one in the fourth or later though.

• Advertisement

Barney92 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be against taking one, but I'd rather they focus on defence. Nelson is getting on a bit, but there should be another season or two of very good play out of him. Hopefully by that stage Adams will have taken over the mantle of top receiver. With Cobb and Bennett there as well there are 4 very good targets for Rodgers this season. If they take a receiver early they aren't going to play much unless they hit the jackpot. I'd happily see them take one in the fourth or later though.

No wr is worth taking at our spot this class, TE's and Defence is what we should be after, but next year we need new offensive blood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Delighted with Bennett. A year late. Cook got greedy and fair play to TT, he had a back up plan. Rumour has it we are keen on barwin. So if we got Bennett, barwin and veteran cb from free agency and keep lang, we will be in great shape and then draft a olb, cb, rb in the first three round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Wonder how we'll replace peppers
    Was surprised we didn't keep him. We al know our deficiencies at cb but our whole d is in trouble.

cosatron wrote: »
    Delighted with Bennett. A year late. Cook got greedy and fair play to TT, he had a back up plan. Rumour has it we are keen on barwin. So if we got Bennett, barwin and veteran cb from free agency and keep lang, we will be in great shape and then draft a olb, cb, rb in the first three round.
    Read that too, resigning Perry was also a relief and Barwin would be an excellent signing that would allow us to keep Clay effective (possibly at ILB) as age is catching up to him it seems. Really do think we need an experienced CB, but if we can pick up Barwin and hopefully resign Lang it will have been a very astute offseason so far. Lacy coming back would be nice too but not that big a deal if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bit of a mini clear out in 1365 Lombardi Ave eh!!

Back a bit, Josh Sitton gone off the OL,now TJ Lang, JC Tretter

Two starting guards for the last four or five seasons !!.

OL could have to re structured on the right with Bulaga going to guard and Jason Spriggs at RT

Eddie Lacy gone at RB

Datone Jones at LB

Two TEs coming in Davon House resigned.

Barring another big FA signing, which is looking very unlikely

I hope the draft works well.

Any views ?

• Advertisement

In terms of players going out, I'm only disappointed to see lang go but the money his getting of the lions is outrageous and I don't think his worth that to be honest but I'm happy to see him get paid.
    Players coming in, obviously, I would have liked to see a bit more activity but I'm delighted with Bennett and house knows the system and is still young.
    Bulaga won't be moved out of right tackle and sprigs needs to put on weight for guard and I think is has the wrong body type of guard. We will draft a tackle and convert him to a guard, ted style. Luckily enough the draft is deep in the positions we need. so I think we will draft an edge rusher, cb, rb, guard/tackle in the first four rounds.

In terms of players going out, I'm only disappointed to see lang go but the money his getting of the lions is outrageous and I don't think his worth that to be honest but I'm happy to see him get paid.
    Players coming in, obviously, I would have liked to see a bit more activity but I'm delighted with Bennett and house knows the system and is still young.
    Bulaga won't be moved out of right tackle and sprigs needs to put on weight for guard and I think is has the wrong body type of guard. We will draft a tackle and convert him to a guard, ted style. Luckily enough the draft is deep in the positions we need. so I think we will draft an edge rusher, cb, rb, guard/tackle in the first four rounds.

Would agree with most Of that. However as a high draft pick the have to do something with Spriggs.

Drafting or signing someone who can pressure the opposing QB is essential.

All the good QBs had almost career days against the packers last year -why.

No hurries, no pressure, sit back and throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Why do you think Bulaga won't be moved inside? All the moves they have made in the last two years would suggest that imo (drafting Spriggs, letting Sitton and Lang go), and Spriggs is a prototype tackle.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Why do you think Bulaga won't be moved inside? All the moves they have made in the last two years would suggest that imo (drafting Spriggs, letting Sitton and Lang go), and Spriggs is a prototype tackle.

You might be right, and while he's very stout the biggest knock on bulaga (why he fell to us in the first place and why he'll never be a LT) is lack of arm length. Though at the same time he is one of the very best RTs in the league (should have been second team all pro last year imo, was beaten out by Schwartz and Canon by 1 vote each, 5 vs 6) and I don't know how comfy I am shaking that up with how good our line was last year.

That said, Ted is awesome at drafting on the line, gets great value in the mid/late rounds on it and building units there that guys can often just slide into. Plus adjustments we ha e made there in recent years have tended to turn out fine (bakh as a rookie 4th rd LT starting, Linsley as a rookie 5th rd center starting, switching sitton/Lang to opposite sides, replacing Lang with Taylor who had very little playing them and didn't look good in it prior to last season, etc etc). I've probably got more faith in him there than any other area on the field to be honest.

Am I reading that wrongly?

He replaced Sitton with Taylor??

Yep, sorry there! It was a toilet post, no proof reading involved. :o

ScummyMan wrote: »

I think after the season he had, I can't see them moving him in and let spriggs develop a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

We've signed nose tackle Ricky Jean-Francois. Was playing for the Redskins the last few seasons. Given we've bugger all depth there it's not the worst pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

So schedule is out

C95Q1PPVYAAeryi.jpg

Tough first 2 weeks but after that it gets better. Once we finally regain the overall win record vs the Bears in our annual Thursday night football game it give us a mini bye for Cowboys game which is nice.
    The bye is much better this year and we come out of it with 3 very winnable games. In fact bar the Pittsburgh game the final half of the season looks pretty good. All this with usual NFL caveat that we know nothing.

Jahri Evans picked up at G yesterday, doubt we'll be drafting OL in the first 2-3 rounds now.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Jahri Evans picked up at G yesterday, doubt we'll be drafting OL in the first 2-3 rounds now.

he looks a solid pick up, I hope he has enough of gas in the tank. I think we will go olb, cb and rb in the first 3 rounds, here's hoping- king or quincy Wilson for cb, harris or watt for olb and mixon or foreman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

he looks a solid pick up, I hope he has enough of gas in the tank. I think we will go olb, cb and rb in the first 3 rounds, here's hoping- king or quincy Wilson for cb, harris or watt for olb and mixon or foreman.

Spot on there.

Now watch Ted reach for some D-Line depth we've never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Plus, maybe TT's biggest (and certainly most underrated) strength in drafting is getting guys in the mid/late rounds and usually having them develop for two or so years before stepping in. We had one of the best lines in the league last season (maybe the best outside of Dallas who were all time contenders) with Bakh being a 4th rounder, Lang also a 4th rounder, Linsley a 5th rounder, Taylor being a 6th rounder, and Bulaga as a first rounder.

I like the move last night, I say they were waiting for McKinley and when he was gone, I say they presumed that the steelers would go for a cb. So we have 9 picks now, who do fancy, I say we go king and trade up for mixon

I like the move last night, I say they were waiting for McKinley and when he was gone, I say they presumed that the steelers would go for a cb. So we have 9 picks now, who do fancy, I say we go king and trade up for mixon

I dont if a team with that many picks is looking to trade back in they should of been looking for 2 second rounders

Reading packers are taking calls for trades of todays first pick......**** off ted. We dont need low round picks, we need players that can plug in and play

Reading packers are taking calls for trades of todays first pick......**** off ted. We dont need low round picks, we need players that can plug in and play

We certainly need some who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So, a starting corner and a contributing safety. Hopefully our pass defence improves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement