Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Randall is not a bust. King is not Carroll. Maybe he will be as good as Clinton-Dix. Maybe judge him on his play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Hope we go Lawson biegal or Perine with the next pick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Fairly expected (and needed) to see a big focus on the defense with the first few picks, I think. Hopefully a decent running back today now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Patww79 wrote: »

Randall and Rollins each had quality rookie season, listed as the #31 and #19 CBs in the league (with Shields at #13) - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRYSmuZUkAUSDy9.jpg , while Carroll was drafted 14 years ago under an entirely different regime. Injuries, misuse and of course regression on their own ends hurt a lot last year, but trying to label either as a bust is simply wrong.

That's 9 of our last 12 picks in the top 3 rounds spent on defense.

DBs: Haha (1st), Burnett (3rd), Randall (1st), Rollins (2nd), King (2nd), Jones (2nd), House (4th/FA), Goodson (6th), Brice, Hunter, Evans, Hawkins, Waters, Whitehead (UDFAs)

LBs: Matthews (1st), Perry (1st), Fackrell (3rd), Ryan (4th), Martinez (4th), Tripp (5t), Elliott & Thomas (UDFAs)

DL: Clark (1st), Adams (2nd), Daniels (4th), Lowry (4th), Ringo (6th) Guion & Francois (FAs), Price (UDFA).

No excuses about lack of investment on defense.

---

Anyway, very happy with the two picks - a greedy part of me would have liked a RB at the first pick in the second round but given the run on DBs I'm happy with how it went. King should replace Shields as one of our boundary corners with House giving a bit of insurance, depth and experience, while Jones looks like the type of guy to take the CB/S/slot role Hyde/Hayward/Woodson have in the past - Rollins can also play there as a CB/S hybrid when drafted. Given that Burnett is an extremely solid player at one safety position and Haha is an all pro at the other, this is a unit that there simply is no an excuse for failing to perform decently with.

Might be the end of Gunter I reckon - I've a lot of respect for the guy, he gave it his absolute best and seemed to get all of the potential he could out of himself so can't really fault him for lack of effort or attitude, but in the end he just isn't good enough for the NFL.

I was hoping for a RB or LB in the 3rd but fell asleep before our pick - the buzz on Adams seems to be quite high though, apparently technique needs refinement but he is a big, aggressive power player. The major concern is sometimes being prone to laziness, hopefully we scouted that really, really thoroughly because I'm sure our management have not forgotten Jerel Worthy. I liked a good bit of what I saw from Clark as the year progressed - hoping he can continue to develop (don't usually expect much from rookie DTs personally) and with Daniels, Guion and Francois I like our defensive line quite a bit - look like they could have a real mean streak to them which is something our defenses have often lacked the last few years.

At LB, Perry has come on really well recently as a double digit sack guy - but Peppers is gone and Matthews is slowing down a good bit, still think he can contribute really well across several spots, but I'm not looking for him to be the force he often has been in his career getting after the QB, which is a concern. Hopefully we have a sleeeper or even find a FA at LB to help here; I really like a lot of aspects of Ryan and Martinez but they are a bit unproven still. Linebacker has it's question marks.

We've got 6 picks today - two fourths, a fifth + fifth comp, a sixth and a seventh - would love to see us spend the first pick on the day on Adams' old teammate Carl Lawson as an OLB and hopefully find good value on a RB at the end. Ted rarely trades up, but picking up Lawson and Samaje Perrine (RB) would be absolutely excellent and free us up to just look for OL depth as our only genuine 'need' from the rest of the day - both are not only system need. A deep threat WR to develop would be nice to try out later on, Thompson loves taking one of them late, but I was also thought Geronimo Allison was a very nice surprise for us late last year.

• Advertisement

Vince Biegel, not Lawson but injuries and sometimes lacking intensity might have been a concern. Would have preferred Lawson or Perrine but Biegel was #3... now lets trade up for Perrine please!! :D:o

Born, raised and went to college in Wisconsin as well which is a nice little bonus - if he works out, should be able to hold on to and possibly with a real hometown discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

"the sixth straight year the Packers have used their first pick to improve their defense. Yet here they are with a defense that ranked 31st in passing yards allowed last season"

How does capers have a job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Joe Mixon

Not impressed with Green Bay's draft. I don't rate Kevin King. They need a running back and with the first pick in Rd 2 they could have had Cook or Mixon. Passing on some great talent.

Every draft ranks it an a or a b+ that I've seen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Joe Mixon

Every draft ranks it an a or a b+ that I've seen

I just don't rate Kevin King that highly. He was impressive at Washington but the Pac 12 and the NFL are very different animals, I hope he can hack it at the next level.

The Run game is where they needed someone. Joe Mixon would have beem perfect or Dalvin Cook. I guess they were worried about the off filed issues with both RB's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Joe Mixon wrote: »
    I just don't rate Kevin King that highly. He was impressive at Washington but the Pac 12 and the NFL are very different animals, I hope he can hack it at the next level.

The Run game is where they needed someone. Joe Mixon would have beem perfect or Dalvin Cook. I guess they were worried about the off filed issues with both RB's

At the end of the day, I think I'll go with Ted Thomson.

Joe Mixon wrote: »
    Not impressed with Green Bay's draft. I don't rate Kevin King. They need a running back and with the first pick in Rd 2 they could have had Cook or Mixon. Passing on some great talent.
    *Looks at username*

Hhhhmm.... :D

Honestly though I'm happy with how we filled the holes we have - I don't get to watch much college football unfortunately, but we got there is a lot of positive talk about King and Jones who should be looking for fill the gaps left by Shields and Hyde (and we all saw all season how much we need depth at DB and a Shields replacement, of all our defensive playoff humiliations down the years that might just have been the worst of the lot). Jamaal Williams is being said to be quite similar to Ryan Grant who I loved and who fit our system really well, and Monty is a really good 8-10 carry a game type back. I think we kind of overloaded on WRs and RBs late, would have preferred a second lineman to develop and might have preferred Lawson at OLB or Perine at RB over Biegel but overall I think we did well.

We needed help at DB far more than RB in my opinion - had we been able to keep Lacy I would have been happy with us drafting nobody there. A superstar at RB would be nice but is not a necessity, we just need some guys who give us a threat moving the ball on the ground who can block and hopefully catch too. God I hope Monty manages to get his pass blocking down before the season, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Reading Ryan Wood article that jones was playing at ILB in some formations. Has been doing great in coverage and could be a really versatile player for us.

Im happy with the draft - when you have a player like Rodgers at qb it does cover a lot on the rbs - and we seen it last year - i think they definately needed to address defense early and I liked the value of King early second who was being touted at mid 20's so happy with that pick and jones later in the second. Sure it would have been nice getting a Cook or Foreman but im happy with the immediate need to improve the secondary.

Capers is lucky to be in a job in everyones opinion and mine but he really cant have many excuses with free agency and drafting so many potential defensive pieces added that he really could be looking at his last season at the packers if it doesnt make significant improvement.

What proves to me is capers is wrong for us is this one simple fact . Casey Heyward ranked number 3 of all corner backs, nfl leading 7 ints, passer rating against 53.4, top 100 leading 20 passes defended.

Now look at his time under capers.....

guarantee that hyde will be a big player for bills this year too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I've posted about this before, and I'm no Capers fan by any means but I still think letting Hayward go was the right move. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20, and nobody could have predicted the run of injuries that would happen at cornerback, but he wouldn't have been nearly as successful last season if he was on the Packers.

Hayward is a zone corner, that's always what he's been best at, and that's primarily what San Diego puts their corners in. He's basically a perfect fit for that defense. Capers generally has the outside corners in man, and the nickel/dime in a mix of man and zone, depending on plays/packages/whatever. It's a huge part of why Hayward struggled with the outside corner position with the Packers.

I really doubt he would've played as well with the Packers last year, as he did with the Chargers. Considering the other players that needed re-signing, letting him go was the right move. It just hurts that he balled out, and we had some really **** luck with injuries.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I've posted about this before, and I'm no Capers fan by any means but I still think letting Hayward go was the right move. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20, and nobody could have predicted the run of injuries that would happen at cornerback, but he wouldn't have been nearly as successful last season if he was on the Packers.

Hayward is a zone corner, that's always what he's been best at, and that's primarily what San Diego puts their corners in. He's basically a perfect fit for that defense. Capers generally has the outside corners in man, and the nickel/dime in a mix of man and zone, depending on plays/packages/whatever. It's a huge part of why Hayward struggled with the outside corner position with the Packers.

I really doubt he would've played as well with the Packers last year, as he did with the Chargers. Considering the other players that needed re-signing, letting him go was the right move. It just hurts that he balled out, and we had some really **** luck with injuries.

My problem with dom capers is he cant defend anything over the center and still runs the deep backfield like a 29year old charles woodson is there

His biggest issue is an incredible stubborn rigidity, both in how he sets up for games and his in game adjustments (or complete lack thereof). Obviously comparing to Belichick is setting an incredibly high standard, but Belichick constantly makes changes during a game - I even said in the SB thread at half time that the game wasn't over despite the Falcons tearing the Patriots apart for this exact reason. With Capers, you know about 3-4 drives in if we're going to be slaughtered, and if the answer is yes, you know absolutely nothing will be done to prevent it. Regardless of what is being exploited, it will continue to be exploited with good as no adjustments made to stop it.

Regardless of if it is going short over the middle, beating us downfield out wide, running over us, scrambling on us (49ers playoff games being maybe the two worst examples of this in Capers' entire GB career)... no matter what the weakness is, once it is spotted we are toast, and there is absolutely nothing Capers will do to prevent it bar "continue to do the exact same thing and pray somebody makes a play as much as needed". It's why Rodgers' defenses have dropped what is possibly a record amount of leads deep in the fourth quarter/OT on him.

Right- I reckon Capers has one more season to make an impact.

Injuries and stuff queered his pitch and gave him an out.

I don't like his defence- 3rd and 18... Guarenteed a first down down the middle.

Remember Philly 4/26. Gave it up.

One. More. Season

Remember Philly 4/26. Gave it up.

One. More. Season
    To be fair, that was Ed Donatell. Capers didn't come along for a few years after that.

But we all know what will happen this year, Rodgers will get us in the playoffs and the defense will let him down. Obviously I would love to be wrong, but I've been saying this for 3-4 years now.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be fair, that was Ed Donatell. Capers didn't come along for a few years after that.

But we all know what will happen this year, Rodgers will get us in the playoffs and the defense will let him down. Obviously I would love to be wrong, but I've been saying this for 3-4 years now.

Sorry I should have emphasised that.

The point was that the Packers have been gouged down the middle on big plays for yonks.

Nothing has changed it would seem and Capers still hasn't sorted that schidt out.

thats why i think that everyone was watching McCarthys end of season presser and was expecting some news on Capers - even the Around the NFL Podcast mentioned that Capers is lucky to have his job
    Currently have the best QB in the league - other teams can argue their QB etc. - but rodgers is the best qb in the league. Players like Matthews, Nelson, Bulaga are getting a year older - Rodgers in his prime - and were not taking advantage of it - we have a limited window and because of the defense we havent capitalised on it

I see that gimp Letroy Guion arrested in Hawaii for DUI.

Has form with the law.

Jeez he's a valuable guy in the D, another Johnny Jolly, throwing it all away.

Nearing the end of his chain with the Packers.

I see that gimp Letroy Guion arrested in Hawaii for DUI.

Has form with the law.

Jeez he's a valuable guy in the D, another Johnny Jolly, throwing it all away.

Nearing the end of his chain with the Packers.

What a bellend. Cut him already

ScummyMan wrote: »
    What a bellend. Cut him already

Would'nt be surprised, problem is, he is popular in the locker room and good on the field in a difficult position for the Pack .

Ted will do the right thing.

I am quite optimistic for the upcoming season.

It could be a good one.

O looks terrific and provided the main players avoid injury will rack up points.

D... Jury is out but a lot rests on KK and the ability to stop the big gains down the middle.

They have..just have, to put more pressure on the opposing QB.

Could go all the way.

I am quite optimistic for the upcoming season.

It could be a good one.

O looks terrific and provided the main players avoid injury will rack up points.

D... Jury is out but a lot rests on KK and the ability to stop the big gains down the middle.

They have..just have, to put more pressure on the opposing QB.

Could go all the way.

Defense is going to cost us. Again.

Francois will bring a nice bit of aggression/mean streak, hopefully Biegel can cut it physically because he has the mentality we need too. I like our young ILBs even though there are a lot of question marks there, we have possibly the best safety combo in the league outside of Seattle, hopefully Randall and Rollins get back to their 2015 form (I don't expect too much from King, Jones or M. Adams as rookies to be honest).

But regardless of all that, you-know-who will find a way. And won't be fired for it.

Also saw this earlier: Rodgers has thrown just 72 interceptions. The next-fewest interceptions by a 300-touchdown passer is the 115 Brady had thrown at the time of his 300th. Entering this season, Brady has thrown 456 touchdown passes against 152 interceptions in 237 regular-season games.

Given Rodgers’ touchdown-to-interception ratio over the past three regular seasons — 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions — he could get to 400 scoring passes before he gets to 100 interceptions.

• Advertisement

Josh Jones making serious waves as a hybrid LB/S in training camp apparently. Really excited to see him in action.

Advertisement