Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Good god what will Drew Brees do to our defense next week!

And before it's mentioned.

No I don't want Kaepernick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

seiphil wrote: »
    Good god what will Drew Brees do to our defense next week!
    I don't know? Don't try to put this one on the defense, this is on us being the biggest one man team I've seen in a long, long time and the biggest injury prone teams I've ever seen in any sports, ever... and Mike McCarthy being completely spineless the moment Rogers went down.

Sorry, just in a really sh&t mood over this game. It was not on the defense, it was not on the players on that side, and it was not on Capers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

We'll go with Callahan backing up Hundley as is standard for us (drafting). I'm fine with Hundley, but would much prefer Kaep as the backup/competitor in case it goes wrong

• Advertisement

seiphil wrote: »
    And before it's mentioned.

No I don't want Kaepernick.

I'd like to see Kaep there.

Wouldn't expect much, not saying bring him in to lead a march to the playoffs, but it would make things interesting anyway.

Expect TT's innate conservatism to rule it out though, and see how Hundley develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Billy86 wrote: »
    I don't know? Don't try to put this one on the defense, this is on us being the biggest one man team I've seen in a long, long time and the biggest injury prone teams I've ever seen in any sports, ever... and Mike McCarthy being completely spineless the moment Rogers went down.

Sorry, just in a really sh&t mood over this game. It was not on the defense, it was not on the players on that side, and it was not on Capers.

I understand your feelings and indeed the D didn't lose it, but they got no pressure on Keenum, missed several lined up open field tackles.

Apart from Clarke and Martinez poor in the extreme

Rudolf as all opposing TEs do vs GB had a stellar day.

WTf... Is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Billy86 wrote: »

No this obviously isn't on our defense. But they are still ****. And Brees will still tear us apart!

Horrible day all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I've grown to like the centre of this defence. Daniels, Clarke, Ryan, Martinez, Dix and Burnett. Pass rushing and cornerbacks do not inspire much confidence though. Strange thought considering we have Matthews and Perry, but I never feel like the quarterback is going to be in trouble before a play begins. Hopefully King can be a good corner, because he's looked decent so far. If they can magic a pass rusher out of somewhere the defence will look solid. Obviously not for this season, but next season they should be able to keep most of the good defenders there, think most are still under contract.

But unlike a good few losses, that one isn't on the defence. They gave the offence a number of opportunities. I think Hundley can come good over the next few weeks. The Saints don't have a great defence, so it should be a bit easier than the Vikings for him. I'd be happy for them to bring Kaep in too. Maybe not to start right away but give him a few weeks to learn how the team runs and then send him in. Hundley could scrape a win and we might be 5-4 by that stage, and still in with a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Same.

I don't mind us giving the existing lads a chance but my feeling is that this team needs a leader. Say what you want about Kaepernick's performances, he's someone who I feel could really relish the challenge.

He's mobile, which I think we need, and there's a very capable offense to help him.

I've seen Romo's name be mentioned just as much. I like Romo, I really do, but I don't see him working at the Packers now. Look at the movement needs to have, Romo doesn't do that. Romo sits in the pocket and relies on having a O-line that can guarantee him safety.

In reality, I fear we will try to play out the storm (topical!) and hope we can keep our heads above water, sneak a payoff spot and then Rodgers can come back before the end of the season.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Same.

I don't mind us giving the existing lads a chance but my feeling is that this team needs a leader. Say what you want about Kaepernick's performances, he's someone who I feel could really relish the challenge.

He's mobile, which I think we need, and there's a very capable offense to help him.

I've seen Romo's name be mentioned just as much. I like Romo, I really do, but I don't see him working at the Packers now. Look at the movement needs to have, Romo doesn't do that. Romo sits in the pocket and relies on having a O-line that can guarantee him safety.

In reality, I fear we will try to play out the storm (topical!) and hope we can keep our heads above water, sneak a payoff spot and then Rodgers can come back before the end of the season.

Yes we need a leader, but not a divisive person like Kaepernick.

Yes we need a leader, but not a divisive person like Kaepernick.

I presume, if they were to talk to him, his protest would be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you feel you need to bring in somebody then I think they should take a gamble on a trade for somebody like Sean Mannion or Chase Daniel. Both of them seem capable of doing a good job and there would be a nice bonus at the end of the season with an improved draft pick if they do well.

Would take Kaepernick over either of those in a heartbeat. Daniel is 31 years old with 78 career pass attempts, and no more than 38 in any season (that was four years ago) while Mannion has only 14 attempts which is the same issue as with Hundley (who had 11 before last night). I'd imagine the Rams would want something like a 3rd or 4th rounder for Mannion plus a conditional, too. Kaepernick by comparison is two years younger than Daniel (four older than Mannion) and has 1,692 pass attempts over his career, 58 regular season starts compared to the other two lads combined zero, as well as plenty of postseason experience all the way up to being within six yards of being a Superbowl winning QB.

I'd actually probably prefer to go with Hundley next week either way since the season is finished now either way (I'm guessing Bulaga and Bakhtiari are both out for a few weeks too), so Kaepernick would have to be content with battling him for the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kaepernick will cause problems and no good coach is going to bring him into their locker room. McCarthy is a good coach so it would won't be happening.
    Kaepernick is an awful QB anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've vehemently disagreed with posters here who suggested "might as well throw the season now and go for better draft pics" in previous seasons. But if Rodgers is out for the rest of the season then its probably the best idea for this season. Give some of the veterans like Matthews an easy season to make sure they're at optimum next year, and pick up some good kids hopefully in the draft.

Theres no point in adding extra miles to the clock on some of these older guys, and getting worse draft picks next year, to only finish mid table anyway. Or at absolute best scrape into a first round playoff game and be knocked out. And thats definitely the absolute best case scenario with Hundley at QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Blut2 wrote: »
    I've vehemently disagreed with posters here who suggested "might as well throw the season now and go for better draft pics" in previous seasons. But if Rodgers is out for the rest of the season then its probably the best idea for this season. Give some of the veterans like Matthews an easy season to make sure they're at optimum next year, and pick up some good kids hopefully in the draft.

Theres no point in adding extra miles to the clock on some of these older guys, and getting worse draft picks next year, to only finish mid table anyway. Or at absolute best scrape into a first round playoff game and be knocked out. And thats definitely the absolute best case scenario with Hundley at QB.

Think we should wait and see what Hundley can do in the next few weeks before writing off the whole season. With a full week of practice he could put up a decent showing.

The defence now knows it has to play at its best for the rest of the season to have a chance, they know they can't fall back on Rodgers and hope he'll bail them out.

Good call there,Barney, I'd go along with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

****ing write off the season, take a qb/ high end wr, prepare for the future

• Advertisement

****ing write off the season, take a qb/ high end wr, prepare for the future

Not for me. I remember '86 when the Packers were 1-9, and improved to finish 4-12...and being delighted. Just hate the idea of writing off seasons for some draft strategy. Rodgers, as we all know, was 24th pick. On the other hand, Packers and high draft picks...well we only have to remember Mandarich, selected after another 4-12 season in '88. The Packers won the last 2 games to fall behind the Cowboys who took Aikman...although Barry Sanders and Deion Sanders could still have landed at Lambeau...but we went for one of the biggest draft busts in history...

Don't agree there, Rodgers should have a good few years left and I quite like our WR corps... not as explosive as Nelson (maybe the most underrated WR of the decade across the whole league) but Adams is has turned into proper #1 material in my opinion. All things considered, we're probably in a position to go BPA I think... a pass rusher might be nice despite how much we've invested in defense already the last several years. With so many young players either really looking good or on the bubble somewhat it's hard to tell where our needs may lie come April.

So annoyed at that injury though, possibly @PIT and certainly @CAR would have been difficult too and you never know on any given week in the NFL but we really looked to have the potential to run the table, 13-3 was incredibly attainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Not for me. I remember '86 when the Packers were 1-9, and improved to finish 4-12...and being delighted. Just hate the idea of writing off seasons for some draft strategy. Rodgers, as we all know, was 24th pick. On the other hand, Packers and high draft picks...well we only have to remember Mandarich, selected after another 4-12 season in '88. The Packers won the last 2 games to fall behind the Cowboys who took Aikman...although Barry Sanders and Deion Sanders could still have landed at Lambeau...but we went for one of the biggest draft busts in history...

I agree with this. Tanking for draft picks is a mugs game.

The way I see it is this. Per Ian Rappoport ARod is out for minimum 8 weeks. That's 7 games and 1 bye. 2 of those games are Bears and Browns, and if we nick one more I think we can go 3-4 without him. That leaves us at 7-6, with Minnesota and Detroit still to come. Nobody is running away with the north this year, I think there's still a lot of football left to play.

If Rappaport is correct, these are the game he would be out for

Saints
    Lions
    @Bears
    Ravens
    @Steelers
    Buccaneers
    @ Browns

@ Panthers
    vs Vikings
    @Lions

Good thing the bye is coming up after this week, should give plenty of time to drill the f*** out of things and get some real idea as to what to do for the six games after (assuming Rodgers is back for week 15). If Hundley can get the job done as well as our defense and run game stepping up somewhat, the Bears, @Browns, Ravens, Bucs and Lions games are all winnable. Not to say we'll go 5-2 over that stretch but if Scummy Man uis right that 7-6 is very doable there, even possible 8-5 or absolute best case scenario 9-4.

If Bulaga and Bakh are both out for several weeks though, we're in deeeep trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

You know I've gone through the process and f**k it.

Give Hundley his shot and see what happens. #gopackgo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

That’s disgraceful
    No ‘munster pashun’in him

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

eagle eye wrote: »
    Kaepernick will cause problems and no good coach is going to bring him into their locker room. McCarthy is a good coach so it would won't be happening.
    Kaepernick is an awful QB anyways.

On what basis would Kaepernick cause problems? No issues is SF as season,voted len eshmont award winner by his team mates last season and no signs of any locker room division.

He also didn't throw toys out of the pram when he was benched, I don't agree that he would cause problems other than his overall play not being at the level of his 2012/2013 form.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    On what basis would Kaepernick cause problems? No issues is SF as season,voted len eshmont award winner by his team mates last season and no signs of any locker room division.

He also didn't throw toys out of the pram when he was benched, I don't agree that he would cause problems other than his overall play not being at the level of his 2012/2013 form.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of his ‘stance’ he would be a divisive figure in the locker room.

Would all the team kneel for the anthem-no

Therefore a division straight away as to those who kneel and those who stand.

No sports team needs that and that should be obvious.

Advertisement