Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Plenty of players are kneeling on lots of teams, it's not causing divisions there. We've had players kneel/sit and I didn't notice any division on that either.

Also this...
    https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/918232580603957249?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tmj4.com%2Fsports%2Fgreen-bay-packers%2Fpackers-aaron-rodgers-criticizes-potential-for-nfl-to-force-players-to-stand-for-anthem
    ...if you've got Rodgers' backing in GB, you're golden.

Either way, Hundley needs to start this week regardless I think... maybe even pop Callahan up from the practice squad for the game. If Hundley does well, roll with him. If not, we'll be needing someone to push for the spot and if Kaep is happy with that role we should get him on board. If he's happy to sit on the bench for maybe (hopefully!) six weeks should Hundley do well then that's grand too but I'm not sure if he'd be 100% for that in case other opportunities came up in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Billy86 wrote: »
    Plenty of players are kneeling on lots of teams, it's not causing divisions there. We've had players kneel/sit and I didn't notice any division on that either.

Also this...
    https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/918232580603957249?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tmj4.com%2Fsports%2Fgreen-bay-packers%2Fpackers-aaron-rodgers-criticizes-potential-for-nfl-to-force-players-to-stand-for-anthem
    ...if you've got Rodgers' backing in GB, you're golden.

Either way, Hundley needs to start this week regardless I think... maybe even pop Callahan up from the practice squad for the game. If Hundley does well, roll with him. If not, we'll be needing someone to push for the spot and if Kaep is happy with that role we should get him on board. If he's happy to sit on the bench for maybe (hopefully!) six weeks should Hundley do well then that's grand too but I'm not sure if he'd be 100% for that in case other opportunities came up in the meantime.

How do you know that?

How do you know that?
    Because there doesn't seem to be so much as a hint of it anywhere.

How do you know it is being divisive throughout the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'd take kap, he is mobile, can make the throws for the most part. He would do the job. **** politics. Is he an improvement on hundly? Yes. That should be enough

I'd still go with Hundley, to be fair he got thrown in the deep end with very little planning, had a chunk of the game with us back with a shuffled line down to something like the 9th and 10th guys on the depth chart, against one of the absolute best defenses and secondaries in the league with guys just teeing off on him from the line play, and should have had a second TD throw, and was only given the chance to pass in bad spots quite often. And McCarthy was a complete coward throughout that game, right down to not making a challenge on a clear non catch right after the Vikings had taken an inexplicable timeout following it.

It also showed by Rodgers deserved to be mentioned among the front runners for MVP entering the game, the work he did with that line was absurd... we've seen injuries that even Brady and Peyton would struggle with bad lines before yet Rodgers was playing about as well as any QB out there and driving us late into games to get the win.

I think that's why I was so utterly livid on Sunday, we finally get our starters back at the tackle spots with a chance to even go 7-0 up to week 15... and three plays later Rodgers is gone from a clear penalty that never got called, which became a theme of the night. Now both of those guys are out again, Bakh is probably gone for a month or more again. Trying to look on the bright side, at least it should form some cheap, young depth with experience under their belts along the line. We've been doing great at churning mid round players in and out of that system for a while so this could really bring it up a notch.

Hundley and Callahan on Sunday I say, we will need a minor miracle to win that regardless. Depending on how Hundley does (or Callahan if eh gets snaps in junk time etc), call up Kaep and give him and Brett the two weeks to battle for the starter spot. We;ve got five very winnable games of those seven (the others being vsNO and @PIT). Another added bonus is likely seeing a lot more of our defenders on the field which will help assess things. I've been saying I like Martinez through preseason and he's maybe been our best defensive player over the last month or so. But others like Brice at safety or Hawkins at CB (he had a mare there on Sunday mind) also look promising and I want to get a real feel of Josh Jones who just looks ready to blow up a play at any given moment, plus King hopefully getting fit to try for the prototypical #1 CB spot where he is raw but ticking a lot of boxes whenever I see him. And of course, Kenny Clark's emergence (DTs often take a year to acclimatize and get big, and he has been excellent this year), Daniels of course. Nick Perry needs to find himself again, he's been slow since the opener. I also like the effort of our 'other guys' along the line, something I find underrated because it keep wearing the opposite number down for when the starters get back out there.

Vince Biegel will be back soon too - who knows how he will go as a player, but Martinez is a complete lunatic much like Matthews and the apparent reason we went with Biegel as well as character stuff, was because he's meant to be just as intense. If he works out, those three and (a hopefully clicking) Perry to get there from outside could be pretty devastating over the course of a game. Blitz potential aaallllll over it on any given play - and as much as I'm not a Capers fan, that's something he excels at exploiting (think Clay Matthews roaming around 2-3 years back). Assuming we get Perry back up and running, I'm happy with our front seven and safeties to be honest (though the other ILB spot could use a little more certainty). King is looking good at corner, Randall is soft but we can find a role for him with those ball skills (and he needs to get his head on straight), Rollins looks quite average, House is a journeyman stop gap. Josh Jones I'm already sold on.

Too early to tell but a pass rusher or boundary CB next year in the draft could do us a world of good too, if the line backups come of age over this season and next years camps/preseason, we would be looking quite sweet on offense again.

That said, we CAN go 5-2 if we get our offensive gameplan sorted, either by getting production from Hundley or building on the run game we had against the Cowboys. Shotgun formations with split back might not be a bad call (Monty, Jones either side of Hundley/Kaep).

Anyway, I took a pretty strong sleeping pill just before typing this. Hopefully it makes sense because the words and letters on the page are kind of bouncing around inside the text box right now. Apologies for the semi coherent rant initially intended as a 2-3 sentence post... Bed time! :o :pac:

• Advertisement

Would agree with a lot of that Billy,certainly we need to see what we have in Hundley.

Now is the time for other areas to take the load, and let’s see what they got too now that 12 is not there to bale them out.

Unless the D can hurry Brees at Lambeau we will be picked off.

Next few games will tell whose up for it and whose not.

The D in particular take center stage up to them to win games given the O situation.

Lot to be learned.

Btw if every game is a loss by 10+ points, surely capers would begin to feel the heat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of his ‘stance’ he would be a divisive figure in the locker room.

Would all the team kneel for the anthem-no

Therefore a division straight away as to those who kneel and those who stand.

No sports team needs that and that should be obvious.

No evidence whatsoever he would be a divisive figure at all. Never was in the past and I don't see why he would be in future. Virtually every NFL team has some players who have protested and some who have not but I haven't seen much locker room issues being reported.

The only reasons to not sign him are

1. You don't think he's good enough or you don't think he will help you win more games.
    2.You don't want the publicity/baggage/questions that will come with signing him
    3. You don't want to alienate fans/sponsors who already have very entrenched views.
    4. You don't want Donald Trump tweeting at you at 2am.

To me if you think he can help you win that would override all the other concerns. I agree with Billy86 though, you have to give your own guy a chance first. He was brought in as backup so now is his chance. If he looks ok you just roll with him, if not you look to see what's available.

adrian522 wrote: »
    No evidence whatsoever he would be a divisive figure at all. Never was in the past and I don't see why he would be in future. Virtually every NFL team has some players who have protested and some who have not but I haven't seen much locker room issues being reported.

The only reasons to not sign him are

1. You don't think he's good enough or you don't think he will help you win more games.
    2.You don't want the publicity/baggage/questions that will come with signing him
    3. You don't want to alienate fans/sponsors who already have very entrenched views.
    4. You don't want Donald Trump tweeting at you at 2am.

To me if you think he can help you win that would override all the other concerns. I agree with Billy86 though, you have to give your own guy a chance first. He was brought in as backup so now is his chance. If he looks ok you just roll with him, if not you look to see what's available.

Sorry Adrian but I disagree with your evaluation.

If the emboldened passage is not divisive, or leading to division, I don't know what is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Depends what you mean by divisive, within the locker room certainly not been any division that I can see on any team as a result of these protests and certainly not where Kaepernick has been concerned. If you've seen this feel free to point it out.

Maybe its happening behind closed doors but I feel we'd have heard about it by now.

None of the reasons above should stop a strong management team from making a decision that benefits their football team.

Crazy that people who have been involved in Dog fighting, wife beating , child abuse, sexual assault, drug abuse, murder, etc. have been welcomed back into the NFL with open arms but Kaepernick is being excluded for protesting police brutality.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by divisive, within the locker room certainly not been any division that I can see on any team as a result of these protests and certainly not where Kaepernick has been concerned. If you've seen this feel free to point it out.

Maybe its happening behind closed doors but I feel we'd have heard about it by now.

None of the reasons above should stop a strong management team from making a decision that benefits their football team.

Crazy that people who have been involved in Dog fighting, wife beating , child abuse, sexual assault, drug abuse, murder, etc. have been welcomed back into the NFL with open arms but Kaepernick is being excluded for protesting police brutality.

Good post Adrian, but the point I tried to make is we will never know exactly how everybody stands on these issues.

The QB position, more than any is vital for a team, and a QB is seen as the team leader and one to follow.To expect everyone to row in behind A QB like CK would be a long shot I would suggest.

Then there are the fans, an bear in mind that the racial demographic in GB is as one wag once said, "If you see an African-American on the streets of GB he is likely to be in the Packers team"

Therefore a less than even chance that the fans would get behind him.

Sponsors, and backers want situations where controversy of any kind whether they agree or not is very far away, to say there isn't a 'controversy ' around CK would be well ...strange.

Cannot see a team like the Packers getting involved with him.

Personally I like him, but his form of protest to me was badly thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Just another reason to hate the vikings. Its time for this defence and Dom to step up. We can't expect much from hundley with the mess of a o-line

Good post Adrian, but the point I tried to make is we will never know exactly how everybody stands on these issues.

The QB position, more than any is vital for a team, and a QB is seen as the team leader and one to follow.To expect everyone to row in behind A QB like CK would be a long shot I would suggest.

Then there are the fans, an bear in mind that the racial demographic in GB is as one wag once said, "If you see an African-American on the streets of GB he is likely to be in the Packers team"

Therefore a less than even chance that the fans would get behind him.

Sponsors, and backers want situations where controversy of any kind whether they agree or not is very far away, to say there isn't a 'controversy ' around CK would be well ...strange.

Cannot see a team like the Packers getting involved with him.

Personally I like him, but his form of protest to me was badly thought out.
    I protest the thing the army has to pay the league for us to do

I protest the thing the army has to pay the league for us to do

Eh..uh you got me there buddy:confused:

Eh..uh you got me there buddy:confused:

if the league was reeally into the standing for anthem they wouldnt charge the army to do it

if the league was reeally into the standing for anthem they wouldnt charge the army to do it
    To be fair to the league, they came out the other day and said it was fine for players to kneel - no action would be taken: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/355944-nfl-to-continue-to-let-players-kneel-during-national-anthem-without

Anyway, back on topic, have the Packers any chance against the Saints on Sun.

Personally expecting a loss, however if the defense was to up their game considerably especially on pass rush / hurry/and not let Brees set up and throw at his leisure it could be a good one.

I would be of the opinion that 21 would be a good score for the offense, can the D keep NO below that?
    Not too likely, but it should tell us a few things that need telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

At least Bakh and Bulaga both practiced Wednesday which is very, very, very good news. If Bakh is at all twitchy though, give him the game off esp with the bye-week next week because it's going to take all phases playing great, Hundley looking a lot better, and a number of big individual plays (like the Kenny Clark/Matthews fumble last week) for us to win this. That said those two lads are maybe the best tackle pairing in the league and both their backups if I'm correct are still out. The extra time they can give Hundley should be huge, which hopefully opens up the run game as well - a running game is going to be absolutely crucial on Sunday.

All things considered, I'd give us a similar chance to what Ireland would have had if we drew Italy for the WC playoffs... not impossible, but not all too far off of it.

That's that settled... Hundley is not the guy. So do we sign Kaepernick or essentially forfeit a bunch of very winnable games?

On the plus side, the defense did well - they just gassed from being on the field a stupid amount of the time right from the very start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

That's what I meant in the game thread, McCarthy is just too stubborn, and that can land on Thompson too in terms of personnel. Same with last season when Rodgers was struggling, zero attempt to switch things up like you 100% definitely would see from NE or SEA. In 2013 when Rodgers went down, there was no plan and no plan was made. When things are not going are way, there rarely is an answer. When Capers has been running a shambles of a defense over and over, no action taken (that said the unit has been doing well this year and despite 500yds, under the circumstances they did 'bend but don't break' quite well... until they gassed from the offense consistently letting them down). If I could sum up the entire structure of the GB management for the last several years in one word, it would be lazy.

That said I was of the opinion to go with Hundley this week and see how he was after proper preparation... and he's absolutely not the guy. What disgusted me though was the amateur playcalling and lack of any kind of a plan B or situational reactions from McCarthy. Stick Rodgers in any number of other teams over the last 6 years and he's likely got on several rings on his fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What the actual feck was Hundley chewing ALL GAME LONG??? Wrecked my head looking at him.

The level of conservatism in the board room and on the sideline is killing this team.

That's that settled... Hundley is not the guy. So do we sign Kaepernick or essentially forfeit a bunch of very winnable games?

We sign Kaepernick and probably write off the season. Or we don't, and we definitely write off the season. I think the former would be preferable, at least we can say we tried and went for it. Sure, there's baggage, but where some refer to divisive I think strong minded.

Games are to be won. You play/sign who you can who improves that. I'm sick of this oh lets draft all our talent, players off the top of my head not drafted by Gb but played well, woodson, farve, white, peppers I had someone else in mind to but its gone

Word from the Wisconsin area not good on Hundley.

Had a piss poor game, however I would be prepared to throw him a bit of slack, first NFL start an all that that entails.

Now a bye week and hopefully a chance to get things going.

Defense played well.....but..... gave up big third downs time after time up the middle and lost their chance to get off the field.

Result was they tired and got dispirited towards the end as the knew the O would do nothing.

Next two weeks ,sorry ,next two games will tell a lot.

Have they anything in Hundley or is it time to go to Callaghan who to me seems much more 'lively'.

For this fan who has seen the bad times before its nothing new, but to a lot of fans not making the playoffs is unheard of .

Is Johhnny Football still on the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Is Johhnny Football still on the streets?

:eek:

Who even knows what the case is with Callaghan, but going with him and Hundley is a case of simply throwing away the season in the name of philosophy and stubbornness, the big concern is he just doesn't look like an NFL QB back there and it makes you wonder how he's been the backup for three seasons now if that's the case.

• Advertisement

Who even knows what the case is with Callaghan, but going with him and Hundley is a case of simply throwing away the season in the name of philosophy and stubbornness, the big concern is he just doesn't look like an NFL QB back there and it makes you wonder how he's been the backup for three seasons now if that's the case.

It's makes you wonder what the hell they were doing with Hundley for the last 3 years under MM the 'Qb guru'. People talk about the defence being gassed, the bears didn't score on offence against the panthers and still won. Turnbisky has only 12 completion in two wins.

Advertisement