Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

While that's true, the Panthers don't tend to stretch teams quite like the Saints do and are not as precise/intelligent an offensive unit - and they went out with that plan right from the get go using screens and whatnot all over the place in both directions as well as some deep balls to stretch the backfield. That's going to have a hugely exhausting effect, especially with the sheer number of plays they seemed to be getting off on us. Now that does also go back to third down stops, but it is way, way more on the offense. McCarthy just got completely and utterly out-coached, which is somewhat of a recurring theme when Rodgers isn't around.

There were struggles in defense, Kevin King particularly, but overall under the circumstances I think they did decent despite giving up 500 yards (which says all it needs to in it's own right). One criticism I read that actually makes some sense is that we have now got some extremely athletic players in the defense like Kenny Clark, Martinez, Josh Jones (really loving all three of those guys), Haha, King, Randall and Perry but Capers seems a bit stuck in the mindset of compensating for less athleticism which was the case last season after the injuries set in - it seems to be changing slowly, but a bit more faith in things like man coverage and single man deep zone over the middle could be a big benefit. That said, the defense has been quite encouraging this year (Atlanta game notwithstanding).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I would be in favour of giving it two more games with Hundley before pressing the panic button.

Nobody close to the Packers seems keen to sign CK.

That's how I would see it, and long term, agree with that strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Billy86 wrote: »
    Who even knows what the case is with Callaghan, but going with him and Hundley is a case of simply throwing away the season in the name of philosophy and stubbornness, the big concern is he just doesn't look like an NFL QB back there and it makes you wonder how he's been the backup for three seasons now if that's the case.

Mike Mccarthy better be praying to all the gods in thanks that he has AR, seems to cover a lot of his deficiencies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Has Favre run out of Wranglers money yet? I'm sure he'd be itching to show hes still better than that upstart Rodgers.

I wasn't feeling positive two weeks ago about Hundley but after this weeks display I'm even more pessimistic. If theres no improvement after the bye week, and theres no recruitment of a surprise replacement QB of decent quality, the season is definitely over. It'll be time to rest the older guys and blood as many young guys as possible. And get a good draft pick.

Had a look at the précis version on Gamepass.

Hundley not as bad as I thought.

Packers were in the game until the last 5 mins.

I’ll hold fire until the next two games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I think with the unexpected good play from the defense and the emergence of Aaron Jones, that this well could have been a Superbowl team - it's hardly like there are any top, top teams in the NFC right now. The Eagles are a good one of course, but their weakness is against the pass where Rodgers would likely shred them. The Cowboys are a little out of sorts and we beat them in their own stadium the week before Rodgers went down. The Rams are a dangerous looking one but lack experience which is an area that Capers down the years has tended to do well exploiting (as well as 'gunslingers') and their aggression on defense is what Rodgers often picks apart.We were at 4-1 despite having a comical situation in terms of injuries on the offensive line also, and both Bakhtiari and Bulaga were literally just back healthy that very week Rodgers went down. There's a very strong chance that with Rodgers we would currently be at 6-1 with Pittsburgh our only really tough game until week 15.

That's what really, really kills about the injury and the timing of it.

Aaron Rodgers and David Bakhtiari play video games with Conan O'Brien.

Random trivia - Bakhtiari is a big FIFA fan, remember hearing him talkingbout it with one of the hosts on the old 'Packers Transplants' podcast (what ever happened to that? It was excellent, while most NFL generally and all other Packers podcasts I have found are pretty woeful).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

Bakhtiari doesn't take the jokes about Rodgers' injury being his fault that well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Marty Bennett

Why would he have announced he’s retiring so early in the season? It’s gonna be a long few months for him. The fans will surely turn on him....
    Will he be ignored for offensive plays...is that what he wants?

He aint done nothing all season, packers need to get a te, a new wr this year

That would definitely explain a lot, I had been giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was struggling to adjust as he has been playing reasonably hard in blocking still but I guess getting that SB ring may have just killed his hunger. I'd say move Kendricks to #1 now, I've actually been fairly impressed with him in the more limited time he has had, and he can stretch a field too.

Don't think we necessarily need a WR though depending on what falls to us it could be of interest, but a TE may have jumped up in terms of importance now. It's also a spot we could get a FA in depending on who is available but thankfully in most positions we are looking quite strong (and the one upside of all the OL injuries is the experience the young lads get, who really haven't looked all too shabby I think; not great but there are a number of guys who look able to offer depth), and so can put a fair bit of focus back on BPA like we used to without worrying about leaving a position in a terrible position.

That would definitely explain a lot, I had been giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was struggling to adjust as he has been playing reasonably hard in blocking still but I guess getting that SB ring may have just killed his hunger. I'd say move Kendricks to #1 now, I've actually been fairly impressed with him in the more limited time he has had, and he can stretch a field too.

Don't think we necessarily need a WR though depending on what falls to us it could be of interest, but a TE may have jumped up in terms of importance now. It's also a spot we could get a FA in depending on who is available but thankfully in most positions we are looking quite strong (and the one upside of all the OL injuries is the experience the young lads get, who really haven't looked all too shabby I think; not great but there are a number of guys who look able to offer depth), and so can put a fair bit of focus back on BPA like we used to without worrying about leaving a position in a terrible position.
    Jordy Nelson will be 33, we need a top end wr now, we have got jordy then a number 2 and number 3, nobody I'd call a number 1

Anyone else think it's time for ted Thompson Mike McCarthy to go?

We all know how stupid it is keeping Dom capers the last few years, from a management point it is completely incompetent on Ted's part, same with McCarthy.

Everytime Rodgers gets injured we see the same **** play calling from McCarthy. Short passes, screens, handoffs to undersized running backs to try run behind one of the smaller offensive lines in football. Except small offensive linemen can't bully defenders out of the way, everyone knows we ain't going to throw for first downs but will try make a first down after a short throw.

His play calling is obvious. I don't think anyone expected hundly to be throwing 40 yard strikes but most throws tonight are short safe passes and defences are sitting around the second level knowing this.

I honestly feel the packers have completely wasted Aaron Rodgers, completely depending on him to raise the team a level from ok to good. And if you put 95% of other qbs in the league in instead of Rodgers make no mistake our playoff appearances would dry up. And quickly.

Thoughts?

Hard to say, got creamed on 3rd downs tonight.

Toothless offense inconsistent defense.

Not a free moving team right now.

Lack of confidence in the QB is apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Anyone else think it's time for ted Thompson Mike McCarthy to go?

We all know how stupid it is keeping Dom capers the last few years, from a management point it is completely incompetent on Ted's part, same with McCarthy.

Everytime Rodgers gets injured we see the same **** play calling from McCarthy. Short passes, screens, handoffs to undersized running backs to try run behind one of the smaller offensive lines in football. Except small offensive linemen can't bully defenders out of the way, everyone knows we ain't going to throw for first downs but will try make a first down after a short throw.

His play calling is obvious. I don't think anyone expected hundly to be throwing 40 yard strikes but most throws tonight are short safe passes and defences are sitting around the second level knowing this.

I honestly feel the packers have completely wasted Aaron Rodgers, completely depending on him to raise the team a level from ok to good. And if you put 95% of other qbs in the league in instead of Rodgers make no mistake our playoff appearances would dry up. And quickly.

Thoughts?

Whatever about wasting Rodgers, about which you might have a point, I'm not sure I understand your criticism of the playcalling with the backup. Surely any OC dealing with an inexperienced or limited QB in those circumstances will focus on running the ball, interspersed with relatively safe screens and short passes to keep the chains moving. I mean, what are you asking that they do with a QB like Hundley? I presume they are doing this because of the probability of lots of interceptions otherwise.

(None of that is to take from your point that the Packers have been massively over-reliant on Rodgers, and that he has covered for a lot of obvious problems in the way the team is run, but without the kind of supporting cast that Brady has he is unlikely to achieve the success his talent is capable of producing.)

Whatever about wasting Rodgers, about which you might have a point, I'm not sure I understand your criticism of the playcalling with the backup. Surely any OC dealing with an inexperienced or limited QB in those circumstances will focus on running the ball, interspersed with relatively safe screens and short passes to keep the chains moving. I mean, what are you asking that they do with a QB like Hundley? I presume they are doing this because of the probability of lots of interceptions otherwise.

(None of that is to take from your point that the Packers have been massively over-reliant on Rodgers, and that he has covered for a lot of obvious problems in the way the team is run, but without the kind of supporting cast that Brady has he is unlikely to achieve the success his talent is capable of producing.)
    the season is over when Rodgers went down, I don't care if we lose by 50 points a game. Put the young lad in with the full playbook, let's see if he can play. Cos this we pass it two yards shot is going to get someone else hurt as teams know what's coming

• Advertisement

the season is over when Rodgers went down, I don't care if we lose by 50 points a game. Put the young lad in with the full playbook, let's see if he can play. Cos this we pass it two yards shot is going to get someone else hurt as teams know what's coming

On the very first drive the Pack couldn't deliver held the bal for over 8 mins.

When the D had a chance to get Lions off the field on a long 3rd down the give it away with a stupid penalty which resulted in a TD .

They hardly stopped a 3rd down after that.

For me the Packers look a tired team predictable,little energy, but pointless making changes now

Need to have a big clear out next season though, too many passengers.

Pass rush a must for improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

They didn't even have a focus on running the ball. 38-17 pass attempts to run attempts. I know the score shifted it towards passing, but Montgomery averaged over yards a carry on the five he was given. He averaged more than Hundley did throwing. The thing I found almost amusing was that a large portion of the passes were play action, even with the lack of running.

The defence did not inspire confidence at all. They were very good against the run, but there's not much point in that if you give Stafford all day to throw. Not that he needed long to beat the secondary. I think the only play he was sacked was that flea-flicker.

I'm leaning more and more towards thinking McCarthy should go too at this point. I've had some faith in Capers on the defense, but it looks like this might be the year we finally end things with him, assuming at this rate that we miss the playoffs. Gutting to think we'd probably be top of the entire NFC now if Rodgers weren't hurt. The difference between us the last few weeks and the Patriots early last season says everything it needs to about how well the team is run outside of having the highest level QB the game has maybe ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

the most jarring thing about last night, is that the lions didn't punt the ball once. That's inexcusable for all concerned, players and coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Patww79 wrote: »
    It definitely is time now for a change on defense in the off-season.

It was time for change years ago. How Capers is still there I'll never know

The defense has plenty of talent, some holes in there but with Addams, Neal, Matthews, Martinez, Dix, Burnett, Josh Jones and King to name a few the talent is more than there to be performing a lot better than they have which has consistently been the case for over half a decade now. We don't need to have a Jaguars/Seahawks defense, but we do need a defense that can do something. We've been doing better making splash plays but yet again we've been left failing to make any stops on 3rd down which has been too much of a problem for too long.

This year we are worst in the league for opposition's plays per drive, are second worst for scores per drive and tied third worst for yards per drive. Last year we were 12th, 5th and 6th worst there. 2015 was better at 9th, 12th and 12th best. The year before that we were middle of the pack for scores but 7th worst for yards and 3rd worst for plays per drive. 2015 we were 5th worst for yards per drive, 8th worst for plays per drive and 5th worst for scoring percentage per drive. 2012 we were 14th, 15th and even on points per drive were top 10. 2011 we were 12th worst for scores per drive, 7th worst for plays per drive and 2nd worst for yards per drive. Can't find anything specifically for 3rd downs right now, but that is nothing short of pathetic for a long, long time.

Not only that, but then guys deemed not worth keeping as part of our supposedly terribly lacking in talent CB group go on and play at All Pro levels elsewhere - Casey Hayward last year and quite possibly Micah Hyde in Buffalo this year. It's infuriating and we've wasted the guts of the prime of arguably the greatest player in the history of the sport (when weighing how much impact a QB has on the modern game).

The defense has plenty of talent, some holes in there but with Addams, Neal, Matthews, Martinez, Dix, Burnett, Josh Jones and King to name a few the talent is more than there to be performing a lot better than they have which has consistently been the case for over half a decade now. We don't need to have a Jaguars/Seahawks defense, but we do need a defense that can do something. We've been doing better making splash plays but yet again we've been left failing to make any stops on 3rd down which has been too much of a problem for too long.

This year we are worst in the league for opposition's plays per drive, are second worst for scores per drive and tied third worst for yards per drive. Last year we were 12th, 5th and 6th worst there. 2015 was better at 9th, 12th and 12th best. The year before that we were middle of the pack for scores but 7th worst for yards and 3rd worst for plays per drive. 2015 we were 5th worst for yards per drive, 8th worst for plays per drive and 5th worst for scoring percentage per drive. 2012 we were 14th, 15th and even on points per drive were top 10. 2011 we were 12th worst for scores per drive, 7th worst for plays per drive and 2nd worst for yards per drive. Can't find anything specifically for 3rd downs right now, but that is nothing short of pathetic for a long, long time.

Not only that, but then guys deemed not worth keeping as part of our supposedly terribly lacking in talent CB group go on and play at All Pro levels elsewhere - Casey Hayward last year and quite possibly Micah Hyde in Buffalo this year. It's infuriating and we've wasted the guts of the prime of arguably the greatest player in the history of the sport (when weighing how much impact a QB has on the modern game).

Does Matthews still have it though? He has been a shadow of himself the last year or two I have thought

• Advertisement

Advertisement