Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Patww79 wrote: »

Would t disagree with that.

If the Packers don't get to Flacco today, it could be ugly

Expect a strong diet of Jamal Williams and May.

Must not let Flacco stand in the pocket and fling.

Bad things will happen if that scenario is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How's your run defence holding up guys?

The key for me is how the Ravens set out their offensive game plan. We have a top half rushing attack and literally the worst passing attack in the league, but far too often this season we give up on the run too quickly and it's a disaster.

If we commit to the run I think we'll win, but if Flacco's going to be throwing the ball 30+ times we might as well forget about it.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    How's your run defence holding up guys?

The key for me is how the Ravens set out their offensive game plan. We have a top half rushing attack and literally the worst passing attack in the league, but far too often this season we give up on the run too quickly and it's a disaster.

If we commit to the run I think we'll win, but if Flacco's going to be throwing the ball 30+ times we might as well forget about it.

Run defence is good, no major qualms there.

A veteran QB should be able to shred the pass defense.

3rd downs will be very important for both sides.

If the Packers can arrest their abysmal stats on third downs maybe a chance.

But they must also convert on offence.

Time for Jordy to step up, and the TEs to get involved.

Main aim- GET-TO-FLACCO:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiecsun/status/932298056078446592

I think you'll be okay this evening lads.

Defence doing a great job

Offence terrible, Hundley two picks

Still only six points down, but I have no confidence in a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

You’d wonder how much worse things will get until Hundley is brought off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

How can anyone have any confidence in packers right now? Least we should get decent enough draft pick

Couldn't be much worse than Hundley.

Let's find out.

Well, at least they didn't take a chance on Kaep, he might have been divisive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Paully D wrote: »
    I think you'll be okay this evening lads.
    We showed you, didn't we? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Hot garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Was in work for this game.

Thankfully by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

That was not pretty at all. I had a lot of confidence when I saw them get some big plays early on. The first play was very good until the pick. The defence then did a great job. 7 turnovers was it (including 3 on downs) and they only gave up 2 touchdowns. I know it was the Ravens and they don't have the best offence, but it was heartening to see. It won't be pretty against Pittsburgh though.

Barney92 wrote: »
    That was not pretty at all. I had a lot of confidence when I saw them get some big plays early on. The first play was very good until the pick. The defence then did a great job. 7 turnovers was it (including 3 on downs) and they only gave up 2 touchdowns. I know it was the Ravens and they don't have the best offence, but it was heartening to see. It won't be pretty against Pittsburgh though.

going to get destroyed...on the other hand i will be starting ben and bell in my fantasy this week

• Advertisement

going to get destroyed...on the other hand i will be starting ben and bell in my fantasy this week

What's the chances of another shutout on the Packers?

Good I would suggest, much at it pains me.

A bit off topic, watched the game between the Vikes and the Lions and they looked seriously good teams..

Good tempo, strong running, good QBs, receivers who can catch the difficult catches......

If anything good comes from the Rogers injury its how weak the general team is and how stale their whole game plan looks.

Whole place cries out for a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

Not saying there will be immediate improvements but at the moment we have a stale insipid ball club

The "moral victory" line today is 24pts. That is absolutely everything that needs to be said about this being the probably most one man team the nfl has seen in 15+ years. It's so infuriating be a use we have the talent to not be world beaters, but to at least compete against some of the teams that have been embarrassing us. Most of our scorelines whole bad, have also been deceptive due to junk time. To be honest we've a decwnt shot of being the worst team in the whole league since Rodgers went down, yea that is including Cleveland!

I figured the kaep thing was about philosophy more than anything which is maybe even more damning because otherwise we might have signed boyer last week. Mediocre for sure, but mediocre is a HUGE step up on Hundley.

A bit off topic, watched the game between the Vikes and the Lions and they looked seriously good teams..

Good tempo, strong running, good QBs, receivers who can catch the difficult catches......
    Well one thing bearing mentioning is that Stafford has been a starter for a similar enough number of games (120 vs 141) and has had 7 one hundred yard rushers ever... the last being in 2013. This season we also pick up a full extra yard per carry than them. I also think we have a good bunch of WRs for making the tough catches, but the timing and placement has been so bad with Hundley... I've lost count of the plays where he never even considers anyone who is not the #1 option and have seen some where he doesn't even seem to look to them. I had high hopes and I hate to say it, but the guy doesn't look like someone who even belongs in the league at all - it's just not there between the ears for him, both pre and post snap. That is so utterly infuriating because I genuinely think even a Josh McCown or Hoyer would be able to give us a lot of help.

However it does also have to go to coaching and playcalling - McCarthy seems like a lost child out there without Rodgers playing the game better than anyone ever has (just as he did last time we were without Rodgers), and in about every game doesn't look like he's even thought about if we're going to establish a run game early, go with quick passes from Hundley, or do unconventional early to try and get some scores from confusing the defense. The difference at QB intelligence is big, but the Jets and Vikings are making an absolute show of us in this sense

The defense has weirdly given me hope this year, the likes of Martinez, Clark and Josh Jones have been hugely impressive in particular and we've done well in first halves for the most part. With Rodgers under centre and the defense playing like that, I genuinely think we'd have had big half time leads in most of our games over the last 6 weeks or so. But they're gassing and gassing badly, and I can't really blame them when the offense is just 3-and-out, 3-and-out, 3-and-out, 60yd drive ending in a turnover, 3-and-out, 3-and-out over and over and over again. That has a huge mental impact on a defense, just look over at Denver recently.

I'm more happy with Capers than in recent years but he still needs to be gone to be honest, the lack of a pass rush is... nothing. It's nothing. I feel nothing over it. I expect it. We all do. We all know what is coming - nothing. Nearly every time. We've got Nick Perry who looks to have put it all together last year, Daniels who is a beast on the line for us for year, Clark who is a havoc machine, and then Brooks and CMIII who are both over the hill but can still make plays and offer impact... and Martinez does a great job creating more havoc and blitzing in with deranged intensity like Des Bishop used to for us years ago. But yet nothing.

My issue there and with Capers generally is he just does not seem to trust anyone on defense, it might be an age thing but if you're not long established he's not having any faith in you it seems. We've got an lot athleticism in our defense recently, but he's playing like we're a wily, veteran unit who rely on smarts and experience rather than range and dynamicism. And it's hurting us, badly... this has been a running theme for years, and you just have to look at guys like Caey Hayward (had some money on the Chargers with a mate last week, who could not stop commenting on "how class is this Hayward lad!?") - mad fact, since leaving GB Hayward had more INTs than our entire CB corps combined. Micah Hyde is also playing lights out in Buffalo and has more INTs than all of our CBs combined this year. Remember that both of those guys struggled to even get a starting role in GB. Every single person here knows well that they would not look a fraction of the players' they do now were they still in GB.

I want to keep an eye on Vince Biegel, he's barely got any play due to injuries but I've kind of liked him so far. That said, I wanted us to go for Carl Lawson instead who offers more pass rush and is currently on 5.5 sacks which would be only 1.5 behind Nicky Perry for most on the team.

We could use some help in some areas, maybe an impact player or two (though in the right setup I think we have guys who could explode at the club right now) but for me the issue is coaching and playcalling. Neither appear even nearly up to scratch, and frankly while I've been done with Capers for half a decade I'm fast getting this image in my head when it comes to McCarthy's dependence on Rodgers (even if I've never seen Rodgers in a red blouse):

p_100985128.jpg

We're almost guaranteed to not make the playoffs this year, and like last year I don't really mind if we don't. Big changes are needed, said it last year and said if getting rid of Capers meant McCarthy going too then so be it... now I'm leaning towards getting rid of both, regardless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pittsburgh have beaten the Colts and Browns by an aggregate of six points. This will not be a blowout...

dfx- wrote: »
    Pittsburgh have beaten the Colts and Browns by an aggregate of six points. This will not be a blowout...
    Yeah go ask PaullyD how that prediction worked out for him last week. :pac:

There's a strong chance the Steelers get the most yards that any team will all season tonight. Not so sure on most points since there have been some huge scores put up over the year and the Steelers are bizarrely poor in the redzone, but I'd be very, very surprised to see them finish below 35-40. I'd give them a better chance of going over 50 (and possibly even 55-60) than I would them going under 30.

I expect our offense to be completely outplayed and out-thought at all phases bar junk time. We might knick a TD somewhere or a score or two in junk time.

I'd predicting 44-6 to Pittsburgh final score, and that's even allowing for 5-10 minutes of their backups late on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The Ravens are very good at putting away poor opposition though, the Steelers are not. They have a strain of conservative offense play calling and slow starts that has kept most teams in games longer than they should.

Strangely the most comfortable win/game so far this season was against the Vikings in week 2.

The Steelers should win, but it's going to be closer for a lot longer than a lot think imo. 14 points is a mad line.

Wouldn't be so sure about that - Baltimore lost to the Bears a few weeks back, and that's the only team GB have even been able to compete with (never mind beat) in the time Rodgers has been down. I'd actually say that this is probably the least likely game for GB to win in my 15-odd years watching them.

dfx- wrote: »
    The Ravens are very good at putting away poor opposition though, the Steelers are not. They have a strain of conservative offense play calling and slow starts that has kept most teams in games longer than they should.

Strangely the most comfortable win/game so far this season was against the Vikings in week 2.

The Steelers should win, but it's going to be closer for a lot longer than a lot think imo. 14 points is a mad line.

Ben to brown, brown with two tds, same for bell, with a third random getting 1

• Advertisement

I can't bring myself to do it, but I've said to friends that reckon the bet of the week is probably PIT -14 (though it's a really tough week for picking handicaps), and I usually hate going above a 7pt spread.

Advertisement