Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

I think any Packers fan who is working in the morning and stays up to watch tonight should get a specially commissioned medal. I suspect I'll wake up in the small hours and will turn it on, but not going out of my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Maybe just maybe they will defy all logic and end up winning the...

No. I can't even. It's all darkness.

Come back our lord and saviour Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Agent J wrote: »
    Maybe just maybe they will defy all logic and end up winning the...

No. I can't even. It's all darkness.

Come back our lord and saviour Rodgers.

Unfortunately J, we need more than Rogers, we need a genuine team with authority in defense and offense something we do not have now.

How did the coaching people not realise Hundley didn't have what it takes.

The lad was there for three years.

Questions to answer from Murphy, Thompson, and McCarthy.

Ron Wolfe wouldn't have let that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My main issue with Thompson has been a lack of aggression in certain areas of the draft and putting ideology over practicality in terms of draft-only probably cost us a few times. He also should got rid of Capers a long, long, long time ago - if McCarthy point blank refused, over the last two years or so he should have been gone too. If Thompson is gone I wouldn't mind, but listing a guy who went to a pro bowl in his second year, all All Pro in his third and is listed by many as being top 10 in his position in the entire league is, well, laughable.

There's a good chance that by the end of the season, our 2012-14 drafts will include 3 all pro DBs. Given our defense over the last 5 years, that is so f***ing laughable on so many levels for so many of the wrong reasons that I don't even know where to begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Patww79 wrote: »

Has to be a little on Capers. Some of those secondary players have been excellent once they left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

31-28....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

dfx- wrote: »
    31-28....

yeah i love losing by only a little compared to a lot.

dfx- wrote: »
    31-28....

Kudos D,you did call it close.

Some hope ahead

Did not make enough ‘stops’ on 3rd down ok some were short but....how many times did Pittsburg punt?

Ok it took a record equalling FG to win it.And one of the great catches too

Without Clark and Matthews in D Ben was very comfortable in the backfield.

All in all it was a loss but not a bad display.

• Advertisement

Shurrup, dfx! :mad: :p

Fair play though, good call. The Steelers are a bit infamous about not showing up against the absolute worst teams, felt a) they had that out of the system after the Browns/Colts, and b)we weren't up to the level to even do that.

By the way, I'm calling it - injuries or random drop off notwithstanding, Blake Martinez will be an All Pro. Guy has been absolutely brilliant for the most part, probably the best MLB/ILB I've ever seen at GB (Nick Barnett was also class before we switched to a 3-4) and he's got the most tackles in the league. He's currently on pace for 144 tackes (107 solo), 1.5 sacks, 6 passes defended, 1.5 INTs, 1.5 fumble recoveries, and as we know he's far from one of those passive 'tackle machine' players that never really puts a stamp on a game. I f***ing love this guy! :D

The only player with more solo tackles is three time all pro Bobby Wagner, and he's tied with Zach Brown, another all pro.

Anyone here head to that UK and Irish Packers meet up in Dublin?

He's very different to Hawk - the most solo tackles Hawk ever had in one year was 81, Martinez is on pace to absolutely shatter that at 107 in just his secodn season. Also while hawk was a very passive player, Martinez is rivaling Mathews as the most intense player on the defense, and that liveliness/mean streak (still remembering him absolutely destroying Gio Bernard in overtime against the Bengals) does mean a lot esp and is something we've been lacking in our defense for a long time.

Also about the 'after a decent' gain comment, he's 7th in the entire league for tackles for a loss this year at 8 - ahead of him are Derrick Kindred (CLE), Clowney (HOU), Telvin Smith (JAX), Jahleel Addae (SD), Wagner (SEA) and Zach Brown (WAS); if I'm correct Brown at 11 is the only one on double digits so far. We've given up the 11th least bulk yards rushing this season and the 8th least yards per carry. In 2015 before we drafted him we gave up the 12th most rushing yards and 4th most per carry. Last year we were 12th best for YPC and 8th best for bulk yards - as a rookie he played 13 games where we gave 90 on the ground; he missed three with injury where we gave up 113 on the ground on average, that's a big jump and he's got considerably better again this year.

Also small tangent but something I stumbled upon the other day, I can't put down how much of it is down to him (and Josh Jones has been a factor here too, and Burnett is )typically pretty good on TEs, but here's something mental... we're #1 in the entire league for TE fantasy points against! Now that's not some definitely great stat but it is still encouraging and if we get the boundaries secured it might become extremely noticeable extremely quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

No matter what we do on offence, the defense will let us down. The defense is so poorly coached its laughable at this stage. I presume at the team meetings they made it a priority to negate bell and brown and had a plan in place I hope but yet bell went onto rush for 95 yards and had 88 receiving yards and brown had 169 yards that's 352 yards for 2 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Billy86 wrote: »
    He's very different to Hawk - the most solo tackles Hawk ever had in one year was 81, Martinez is on pace to absolutely shatter that at 107 in just his secodn season. Also while hawk was a very passive player, Martinez is rivaling Mathews as the most intense player on the defense, and that liveliness/mean streak (still remembering him absolutely destroying Gio Bernard in overtime against the Bengals) does mean a lot esp and is something we've been lacking in our defense for a long time.

Also about the 'after a decent' gain comment, he's 7th in the entire league for tackles for a loss this year at 8 - ahead of him are Derrick Kindred (CLE), Clowney (HOU), Telvin Smith (JAX), Jahleel Addae (SD), Wagner (SEA) and Zach Brown (WAS); if I'm correct Brown at 11 is the only one on double digits so far. We've given up the 11th least bulk yards rushing this season and the 8th least yards per carry. In 2015 before we drafted him we gave up the 12th most rushing yards and 4th most per carry. Last year we were 12th best for YPC and 8th best for bulk yards - as a rookie he played 13 games where we gave 90 on the ground; he missed three with injury where we gave up 113 on the ground on average, that's a big jump and he's got considerably better again this year.

Also small tangent but something I stumbled upon the other day, I can't put down how much of it is down to him (and Josh Jones has been a factor here too, and Burnett is )typically pretty good on TEs, but here's something mental... we're #1 in the entire league for TE fantasy points against! Now that's not some definitely great stat but it is still encouraging and if we get the boundaries secured it might become extremely noticeable extremely quick.
    I like him aswell but I think he needs speedster beside him that can cover. I think his lacking a bit of speed to cover tightends but his very good playing close the line and is a good thumper.

cosatron wrote: »
    I like him aswell but I think he needs speedster beside him that can cover. I think his lacking a bit of speed to cover tightends but his very good playing close the line and is a good thumper.
    That's true in parts too, he's not really the coverage type of guy but I'm fine with that personally and he's not a liability there either - we've tried 'jack of all trade' types at ILB for ages and it's been a catastrophe. Also Josh Jones while not an ILB is an excellent compliment to him in that sense. Martinez just looks to me like a legit guy to build a LB corps around going forward. Kind of like a more rounded, upgraded version of Desmond Bishop who I was a big fan of (said to mates before the SB to watch for him to make a big play, and surely enough if I recall he forced the fumble that sealed the game for us).

I'm also quietly liking Dean Lowry - not a superstar by any means but he seems a high motor, ugly grunt-work type of guy that can be very useful to 3-4 lines. If Montravius Adams makes a year two leap on the line like Kenny Clark and Lowry have this year, along of course with Mike Daniels, I'm really liking that group.

Really interested to see how Vince Biegel gets on in the last few weeks of the year; not expecting much since he's a rookie who was out injured until 2-3 weeks back, but just to look for glimpses of what he might offer. He's also got a reputation of being an ultra intense psycho on the field ala Martinez or CMIII from what I've read. It would be nice to stamp some identity on our defense, we've not had one since maybe 2010.

Despite the season, I'm strangely optimistic about our defense going forward which is weird because I'm probably consistently the biggest moaner and pessimist here when it comes to them over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Kudos D,you did call it close.

Some hope ahead

Did not make enough ‘stops’ on 3rd down ok some were short but....how many times did Pittsburg punt?

Ok it took a record equalling FG to win it.And one of the great catches too

Without Clark and Matthews in D Ben was very comfortable in the backfield.

All in all it was a loss but not a bad display.

A key part was GB not pulling away at 21-14 and 21-21 in the second half. I think there was five or six possessions in a row that ended in GB punts. Had a couple ended in FGs, I don't think the Steelers catch up.

There was also a 58yd FG attempt that Crosby missed when maybe the better choice was to punt or get closer.

Just win game agin the Bucks tonight.

Let’s see a win here.

I’m predicting a win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Bookies have the bucs slight favourites!
    Winston is a much better qb than Hundley

I’d be backing the bucs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

digzy wrote: »
    Bookies have the bucs slight favourites!
    Winston is a much better qb than Hundley

I’d be backing the bucs

Packers are 2.5pt favourites on the spread with most online bookies as of today. But I still think I'd be backing the Bucs. Just would not want money relying on Hundley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hundly could have a 550 yard 6 TD game and capers would still manage to give up 7 tds

I have a gut feeling that with Kenny Clark back and Matthews the D will perform today.

Of course they will continue to give up third downs, but as this is schidt or bust for the Pack,there has to be a performance plus they are at Lambeau.

Packers 23-17

Uhmmm why am I surprised Winston converted on a third down up the middle for a TD.

It's been happening all season.

• Advertisement

Win or lose this team is a crock.

Advertisement