Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

As a long time admirer of Billy's fanaticism and stats, I'm gonna have to ask him...2 consecutive OT wins, ever done before?

Not that I can remember, though I had it in my head the DAL/CIN games earlier were both OT (Dallas was not).

One I have popped together though it this... QB average yards per pass attempt, both against us and the totals of every other team they have faced. It's not pretty reading.

It's all circumstantial of course but on average I'd consider allowing more than 0.5 YPA higher than a QBs average (e.g. QB avrages 7.2 YPA, we allow 6.9YPA or more) to be a poor performance, and 0.5YPA lower to be higher. I've put anything over 1yd difference in bold for emphasis.
    Wilson          - 5.85  vs 7.55 [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B](+1.7)[/B][/COLOR]
    Ryan            - 9.00  vs 7.78 [COLOR="Red"][B](-1.22)[/B][/COLOR]
    Glennon         -  6.61 vs 5.74 [COLOR="Red"](-0.87)[/COLOR]
    Dalton          - 7.85  vs 7.00 [COLOR="red"](-0.85)[/COLOR]
    Trubisky        - 8.49  vs 6.37 [COLOR="red"][B](-2.12)[/B][/COLOR]
    Prescott        - 6.97  vs 6.89 (-0.08)
    Keenum          - 6.29  vs 7.5 [COLOR="royalblue"] [B](+1.21)[/B][/COLOR]
    Brees           - 8.71  vs 8.02 [COLOR="red"](-0.69)[/COLOR]
    Stafford        - 10.94 vs 7.67 [COLOR="red"][B](-3.37)[/B][/COLOR]
    Flacco          - 6.54  vs 5.66 [COLOR="red"](-0.98)[/COLOR]
    Roesthlisberger - 7.8   vs 7.43 (-0.37)
    Winston         - 8.44  vs 7.42 [COLOR="red"][B](-1.02)[/B][/COLOR]
    Kizer           - 7.64  vs 5.90 [COLOR="red"][B](-1.74)[/B][/COLOR]

That's some seriously consistent poor play ('mediocrity' would imply things are better than they are there).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Blut2 wrote: »
    The pessimistic in me thinks the season is probably done either way, is it really worth rushing Rodgers back and risking further injury to him? Guess we'll see how the CT scan goes this week.

How in the world could you think the season is done, three wins and we make the playoffs in 92% of scenarios.

Lot more football to be played yet, 7 wins isn't crap enough for a high draft pick anyway so may aswell go all out for a wildcard spot.

Although, personally I am holding out hope for Minnesota to sh!t the course, lose out and we take the North :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

ScummyMan wrote: »
    How in the world could you think the season is done, three wins and we make the playoffs in 92% of scenarios.

Lot more football to be played yet, 7 wins isn't crap enough for a high draft pick anyway so may aswell go all out for a wildcard spot.

Although, personally I am holding out hope for Minnesota to sh!t the course, lose out and we take the North :D

The Packers have an approx 5% chance of making the playoffs currently, according to most odds setters. I don't think risking Rodgers health for a 5% chance of making the playoffs is a good call, personally.

Even if Rodgers plays and doesn't get injured, and everything goes perfectly and a Wildcard slot is secured I'd still be betting on an early knock-out. Which isn't worth much and will just serve to help prolong the life of the torpid coaching team.

Better to take a couple of 'L's, let Rodgers rest up, get a higher draft pick, and get an excuse to clean-house in the backroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

from reading reports Rodgers is 100% and ready to go. I would love to make it to the playoffs cause watching Rodgers in the playoffs is worth it and getting to the playoffs will help a young team.

Wentz going down does give cause for optimism - if Rodgers comes back and hits the ground running, the only two teams I would truly want to avoid would be the Falcons (who might not even get there) and Rams, we struggle mightily with offenses that feature a lot of explosive players and aggressive play calling. Outside of those, if we get in every game would be very winnable.

If we don't, we get the chance to strip things from the top down... though I still think we'd be "looking forward" to more of Capers & McCarthy next year.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Wentz going down does give cause for optimism - if Rodgers comes back and hits the ground running, the only two teams I would truly want to avoid would be the Falcons (who might not even get there) and Rams, we struggle mightily with offenses that feature a lot of explosive players and aggressive play calling. Outside of those, if we get in every game would be very winnable.

If we don't, we get the chance to strip things from the top down... though I still think we'd be "looking forward" to more of Capers & McCarthy next year.
    If we get to the playoffs I wouldn't fear anyone cause if we get to the playoffs it means Rodgers is playing lights out. Unless we win the superbowl, capers has to go. I think TT will go on his own accord and Wolf will replace him.

That's the catch - reach the playoffs, and Capers is going nowhere. Then again I've a legitimate fear we'd keep him even if we lose our last three games giving up over 50 in each of them, such is the pathetic lack of accountability we've let rot in over the last number of years.

If there was a possibility of reaching the playoffs and losing Capers I'd be all for it. But the only (slim) chance I can see of him going is if the team does badly over the next three games, so its what I'm hoping for.

Though I do agree with your point cosatron that watching Rodgers play in the playoffs is always great. So I am fairly conflicted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Blut2 wrote: »
    If there was a possibility of reaching the playoffs and losing Capers I'd be all for it. But the only (slim) chance I can see of him going is if the team does badly over the next three games, so its what I'm hoping for.

Though I do agree with your point cosatron that watching Rodgers play in the playoffs is always great. So I am fairly conflicted on it.

Had a good look a the 40 minute re run of the Browns game.

Have to say the first three quarters were terrible, the fourth quarter and o/t were classic.

Why the fcuk is this... I cannot explain it.

The first half the Packers were half dead.. no tempo... no life... no dynamism.

Then in the fourth they cut loose and got things going.

Why can’t they adopt that tempo for a full game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

As a neutral I really hope Rodgers makes it to the playoffs, him and Wilson shooting it out would be epic.

I can also see the sense in rolling with Hundley and going at it again next year. I think they have to go for it though, 3 games isnt a lot.

• Advertisement

That's our season done. I hope they put Rodgers on ice till next season. No point in him playing in the last 2 games. Biggest frustration from last nights game was 1. why didn't we run the ball more with Aaron Jones he looked good 3 carries for 47 yards and would of taken the pressure off the oline and rodgers and 2. The blown coverages in the secondary, is it the players, the coaches or what the f**k. Big reshuffle needed in the off season.

Two games of Callahan to end the season please, to work out if we have someone that can possibly be a competent backup for next year.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Two games of Callahan to end the season please, to work out if we have someone that can possibly be a competent backup for next year.

Callahan was released two days ago unfortunately:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-daily-news-story/article-1/Aaron-Rodgers-activated-from-injured-reserve/432cb126-f9b1-44d4-9c8a-e63ed876904c

I would have liked to have seen him given a chance too. He couldn't do much worse than Hundley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

cosatron wrote: »
    That's our season done. I hope they put Rodgers on ice till next season. No point in him playing in the last 2 games. Biggest frustration from last nights game was 1. why didn't we run the ball more with Aaron Jones he looked good 3 carries for 47 yards and would of taken the pressure off the oline and rodgers and 2. The blown coverages in the secondary, is it the players, the coaches or what the f**k. Big reshuffle needed in the off season.

Correct, giving up third downs early on was the catalyst.

Greg Olsen had a field day as will Kyle Rudolph and Eric Ebron in the next two games.

Packers were a bit unlucky, two big calls went against them, both correct in my opinion, the arse cheek touchdown and the Geronimo fumble.

Would not blame #12 for anything , first game back after serious injury .

Packers should get rid of Capers, put Rogers on IR and ride out the season with Hundley.

That hit on Davonte Adams was criminal, the guy was blindsided.

What will happen? He will be fined- no big deal but our top receiver was out of the game and this guy, who in fairness dindnt do it deliberately, got to carry on.

Something needs to change to ensure that this " spearing " as it was called is totally removed from the game .

Cannot understand why he did it , Adams was not really involved in the play.

Changes needed, defense needs to get meaner, we need a TE of the calibre of Olsen, Witten, Rudolph.

Other than that everything is fine!!!

Patww79 wrote: »

You called that one correctly:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/12/19/aaron-rodgers-season-over-packers-place-qb-injured-reserve/966439001/
    Rodgers, who played Sunday against the Carolina Panthers after missing seven games with a broken collarbone, was placed on injured reserve Tuesday, officially ending his season.

The Packers announced the re-signing of quarterback Joe Callahan, who was released when Rodgers returned to the 53-man roster.

Hopefully Callahan gets some meaningful game time now. It'd be useful to see what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

No selections at all in the Pro Bowl.

Sums up the season really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

David Bakhtiari is the highest rated left tackle on PFF this year.

There is also an argument to be made for Davante Adams over Larry Fitz.

The Packers are in the company of such luminaries as the Browns, the Bears, the Jets, the Colts and... thats it. Every other team managed at least 1 selection. That sums up the season fairly well.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t be too concerned, the Pro Bowl is like the Railway Cup in this country, past its sell by

but micah hyde and casey heyward are going, another instance of capers stubbornness in not using the players in their best position and that our scheme is out dated.

Had a look at the condensed version and quite frankly it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

A few points

1. Hundley doesn’t cut the mustard, that said, the receivers did him no favours at all.
    2. The running game was hampered by the field conditions which didnt help the Packers.
    3.Capers has to go, that’s all I have to say about the D
    4.We have good ones in Williams and Jones at RB and Clark at WR.
    5.Changes will have to be made, nothing surer than that, and big ones.

A very good point was made on a podcast I subscribe to suggesting that the lack of a single ‘owner’ was the reason the Packers moved so slowly to change things.

McCarthy says this is not acceptable and everyone is responsible, but who will swing the axe.

Going forward, I see the NFC. North being much more of a dogfight that it used to be so trips to the playoffs might be less often unless serious change is implemented more quickly, and complacency is not tolerated.

No, I’m not that naive, but this is what I do know, I know it’s not going to improve under Capers.

31st in almost all the stats, only team worse, The Browns, who’s owner said they are”not a football team”.

Take what you will out of that.

Personally I feel the Pack are in for a few lean seasons as they sort out stuff behind the scenes, remove the staleness and freshen the whole place up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you watched last night's game the last person you'd be giving out about would be Capers. D did well to limit Vikes to only 16 points.

I'm just talking about last night's game here, not about the overall picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

No, I’m not that naive, but this is what I do know, I know it’s not going to improve under Capers.

31st in almost all the stats, only team worse, The Browns, who’s owner said they are”not a football team”.

Take what you will out of that.

Personally I feel the Pack are in for a few lean seasons as they sort out stuff behind the scenes, remove the staleness and freshen the whole place up a bit.

If Rodgers stays healthy they should be playoff contenders for the next few seasons. They won't get much further than that without giving him some help though.

The defence certainly wasn't to blame last night but I don't remember them being the reason for us winning too many games over the past couple of years.

• Advertisement

I guess we always wondered, was McCarthy a good coach who maximised the resources around a GOAT qb, or a mediocre coach saved by how good that qb made everyone look. I have always backed Thompson and McCarthy, partially because I remember when things were just awful in the 80s so know how low a badly run outfit can sink...but hard to deny the last few weeks have given a lot of credence to the latter. I said after the Rodgers injury that at least bringing in Kaep would show a willingness to try, but kinda assumed they had seen enough of Hundley to be confident on some level. If they were, it was a bad call.

Advertisement