Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Reliable sources say Capers parting from the Packers by mutual consent.

Apparently will not be in charge at Detroit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Ding Dong the witch is dead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Patww79 wrote: »

Great stuff, was a little worried there due to a) the depth that has presented itself this season (which tends to develop really well, but right now they're good enough for depth but I'd be worried about starting - talking McCray, Patrick, etc). Big fan of Linsley and he's monstrously strong for the position which is great on the run. He seems to have picked up good rapport with Rodgers which is major for the center position, and we rarely seem to get blown up through the middle (esp collapsing pockets) like we did before him.

PLEASE let this be true!! Though I might actually prefer him in charge tonight, would appreciate getting the higher draft pick since (think we can wind up as high as about #11-12?) and because I was about ready to lump a bit on the Lions at -6.5 and not feel guilty about it! :o

Billy86 wrote: »
    Great stuff, was a little worried there due to a) the depth that has presented itself this season (which tends to develop really well, but right now they're good enough for depth but I'd be worried about starting - talking McCray, Patrick, etc). Big fan of Linsley and he's monstrously strong for the position which is great on the run. He seems to have picked up good rapport with Rodgers which is major for the center position, and we rarely seem to get blown up through the middle (esp collapsing pockets) like we did before him.

PLEASE let this be true!! Though I might actually prefer him in charge tonight, would appreciate getting the higher draft pick since (think we can wind up as high as about #11-12?) and because I was about ready to lump a bit on the Lions at -6.5 and not feel guilty about it! :o

May be, but definitely per sources will not be def cord for 2018

Fangio from the Bears mooted... Bengals guy and Browns guy mooted.

Apologies for jumping the gun a bit, but definitely seems gone after tonight’s game

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/12/30/silverstein-if-dom-capers-departs-packers-options-plentiful/982103001/

^theres information on it in text form, in addition to the above podcast. This article lists who they consider the 10 most likely replacements with a short blurb on each of them too, which is useful.

Presuming the rumours turn out to be true its great news. I very much look forward to seeing what a new defensive coordinator can do with the Packers squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

My opinion would be very little unless there's big changes on the defensive roster too.

Bollox, talent is there. Clark and and Daniels are the foundations of one of the best D-lines in the league. Linebackers are weak, but Blake Martinez leads the league in tackles. Kevin King had a promising year, and we have an excellent young safety corps. The fundamental problem was the ridiculously over complicated scheme Capers had them running, combined with his inability to make any adjustments.

You just have to look at the recent examples of Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde to see the calibre of players we have when used properly.

• Advertisement

Think we have a reasonable D, just need organizing properly not over complicating things.

Hhmmm maybe, but maybe a new voice could improve what we have.

Interception off the hands of Williams!!!!

Ok. Pack up 3-0

Got a stop on the possession after the pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Capers gone. 2018 season already looks a lot better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

capers gone and Tompson doing a new role so new gm, should of went when was it wolf who we groomed for 8 years was offered a job elsewhere

• Advertisement

As I see it, the Packers took their eye off their principle target: football.

Murphy,as people have said,has been tied up with non football stuff developing the Packer experience quarter or whatever its called.

Hasn’t made any major football decisions over a long period of time.

Not saying that anything wrong with the strategy of developing the area as the Packers need to ‘prolong’ their season for revenue streams.

Now that this is finished for the most part it’s urgent to get the focus back on the football team.

Great franchises have slipped before,doesn’t take much to be muscled off the top table into the also ran category.

Let’s hope that they will learn from this season.

Is anybody here subscribed to Packersnews.com?

It's a subscription for 12 euro a month.

Just seeing if it's worth it.

Never used it, but in this day and age I can't see it being worthwhile - any news will be up on Twitter etc almost instantly anyway, and likely then circulating on the likes of here, reddit or other NFL forums, websites etc straight after. Just my opinion though, maybe it offers extras like podcasts etc?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Never used it, but in this day and age I can't see it being worthwhile - any news will be up on Twitter etc almost instantly anyway, and likely then circulating on the likes of here, reddit or other NFL forums, websites etc straight after. Just my opinion though, maybe it offers extras like podcasts etc?

Yea would tend to agree. There is live chats and opinion pieces.

I might give it a go for a month and see if it's worth it.

Probably wishful thinking and I wouldn't be stunned to see him get a HC offer, but is there any possible way to get Vic Fangio over from Chicago with John Fox gone (the 'no sideways promotions/hires apart from in cases x, y and z' stuff always confuses me)? Always been a big fan of his, he's done very well with that Chicago defense and the Harbaugh 49ers defense speaks for itself.

Nah, Fox will Jeff Fisher his way into another HC job somehow I reckon. Really liked what he did in the earlier years with the Panthers but it's mystery to me how he's kept in head coach roles for the last decade. He's never even been a DC since the season before I started watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

What a 4 days in packer land. Signing up Kinsley and Adams, capers sacked, along with the d-line and linebacker coaches and TT asked to move on. Rumours are floating around about sneider but he doesn't have the green bay Claus in his new contract so that would be a couple of draft picks to get him.I would love him to take over I'm a bit fearful that wolf is a bit young

• Advertisement

While I think Thompson's drafting has one the whole been fairly decent in recent years, I highly doubt I'm anywhere near alone in questioning how much of it was down to Schneider - as soon as he left for Seattle they absolutely skyrocketed, no question that they've been the most NFC's dominant team this decade and not us, and right around that same time our scouting, regardless of how much anyone does or does not rate it over the last 7 years, took a very notable dip compared to around 2005-2010 when it was almost surely the best in the league. Imagine we'd spotted Chancellor, Sherman and some of their other defenders back in 2010/2011 (never would have been in position to get Earl Thomas though)... :(

Advertisement