Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

:cool:X

One year, not exactly a vote of confidence.

Thompson sidelined, Capers gone plus two assistants.

Interesting.

Mark Murphy says it was a " mutual" decision to side move Ted.

Was not told by the board to do so.

His call, he says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Good, and McCarthy on a one year deal might be a good move - he's been completely lacking the unpredictability and sense of urgency since switching play calling over to Tom Clements a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Billy86 wrote: »
    Probably wishful thinking and I wouldn't be stunned to see him get a HC offer, but is there any possible way to get Vic Fangio over from Chicago with John Fox gone (the 'no sideways promotions/hires apart from in cases x, y and z' stuff always confuses me)? Always been a big fan of his, he's done very well with that Chicago defense and the Harbaugh 49ers defense speaks for itself.
    Fangio is out of contract so he is free to move on. Word is that what he wants to do, but smart money is on his return to San Francisco, supposedly. But he is there for the taking. From the experience with Chicago he did a very good job in obviously awful circumstances. There were days where many wanted him as our HC but he didn't do THAT good a job. But you could do worse, by far. He had very limited talent beyond a badly underrated akiem Hicks, a good linebacker in trevathan, an inconsistent Leonard Floyd, and many, many shoulda couldas.

• Advertisement

More carnage

Edgar Bennett gone
    Van Pelt gone

Major clearout going o,

Mike Trgovac gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Wasn't Elliot wolf being groomed for this for years?

Wasn't Elliot wolf being groomed for this for years?

I doubt if this will be announced for a while.

What did Murphy say. "Fire quickly- hire slowly"

No need for kneejerk reaction here..long off season to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Seahawks have denied access to Schneider which is disappointing, if we really want him it will take a couple of draft picks. Joe philbin is coming on board again which is good, I thought Rodgers played particularly well when he was here last. Mike mc seems fairly bullish in the final press conference and I liked the way he told Randall to clean his own house

I'd rate our line above what we had from 2007-11, but our WR/TE positions below (TE particularly)... RB will be interesting but I think we've got something there between Jones/Williams, and maybe using Monty as a 'flex' guy which could cause nightmares on audibles for defenses if done correctly.

The Schneider bit is intriguing (and makes me wonder what we could have been like if we went with him over Thompson in 2010) but Philbin back is pretty good to see. That said on the whole I'd like fresh blood in coaches, well on defense especially.

Bit disappointed that a franchise which touts itself as “the best job in the NFL’

seems to have such difficulty attracting the best out there

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'd rate our line above what we had from 2007-11, but our WR/TE positions below (TE particularly)... RB will be interesting but I think we've got something there between Jones/Williams, and maybe using Monty as a 'flex' guy which could cause nightmares on audibles for defenses if done correctly.

The Schneider bit is intriguing (and makes me wonder what we could have been like if we went with him over Thompson in 2010) but Philbin back is pretty good to see. That said on the whole I'd like fresh blood in coaches, well on defense especially.

Rodgers speaks pretty highly of philbin and if get an aggressive gm we could add a few pieces with some nice free agents available. I hope our new DC is from outside.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Schneider will want to go but his Green Bay clause isn't in the contract any more. The best way to draw a line under the Thompson era would be to give up picks for him and show that they can be used for other purposes.

Ha TT would literally walk out the door.

cosatron wrote: »
    Rodgers speaks pretty highly of philbin and if get an aggressive gm we could add a few pieces with some nice free agents available. I hope our new DC is from outside.

On offense I would like a FA TE if we can find someone to break the game open. A Hoyer type backup QB would be nice, wouldn't be a fan of getting a WR without trading Nelson or Cobb (I wouldn't trade Adams at all). The FA money I would really like to see spent would be on EDGE or pass rushing DE and OLB if we go back to 4-3.

PErhaps and Nelson is getting up in years, it's impossible to judge anyone with Hundley throwing the ball who I reckon Antonio Brown would struggle to get a 1,000 yard season from. It is quite likely though because three $10mn receivers is a LOT of cap investment... I reckon it makes more sense than Cobb too because we could use a young, deep threat in the draft regardless of who stays/goes, but getting rid of Cobb would also mean a slot guy being needed (unless we thought Nelson could do well in there for the next 2-3 years). Cobb as well as being younger we also know while not able to handle #1 excels quite a bit there, and can offer some other stuff too like trick run plays or returning if we get an injury crisis there.

• Advertisement

That's also true - the RB project with him didn't *quite* work out, such a shame he just seems entirely incapable of learning blitz pickup because he'd make an amazing 3rd down back if he could, but yeah I think he could be a big part of our offense. Assuming we get our offense organised correctly again, I do think Monty can be a really, really big part of the offense (even though the number might not reflect it). I wonder if we'll try to mix Trevor Davis in a bit too, but if we do it better not mean moving him off returns since I really like his explosiveness/footwork there.

Oh yeah, Davis absolutely does some stupid stuff, he looked raw as nothing else coming out but has got better on that end and it's trainable. What he can do with the ball in hand though, can't be trained.

The other what?? :confused::p

Brian gutekunst is the new gm. Thank f**k for that. I was dreading the cap guy getting the gig

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet · 33m33 minutes ago
    While the #Bears would like to keep DC Vic Fangio — and new coach Matt Nagy has made moves to do so — the #Packers loom and hope to set an interview. He is considered Green Bay's top choice. NFC North battle.

Please god make this happen

Jack de Rio would be a lot of people's choice.

Oh dear god please... statement of the obvious but between playing the Bears twice a year and far moreso, his time with SF, we're also more than used to him

If we promote from within it's one of the few times that it's a shame the club basically is the town of GB and a huge chunk of it's economy, because a season long boycott wouldn't actually be a bad thing in that instance. The only three defensive coaches still with us are all secondary guys - Whitt, Perry and Moss - and I really do hope they're gone too when the new guy comes in. There's also Jerry Montgomery as 'defensive front assistant' though that strikes me as one of those very junior roles you see in almost any coaches Wikipedia page early on in their careers (along with the likes of 'personnel assistant' and such) so I reckon he's probably too low down to hold much blame for the recent years.

• Advertisement

Jack de Rio would be a lot of people's choice.

He crossed my mind and we could do worse, but the Raiders defense [Mack aside] hasn't exactly been mind-blowing the last two seasons, and Denver only became a defensive behemoth after he left if I recall... and they didn't really add a whole to the defense that offseason by the looks of it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Denver_Broncos_season#Free_agents.

Advertisement