Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Page needs an update so! http://www.packers.com/team/coaches.html

Though I never even looked at offense, no Philbin should have been a giveaway. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Patww79 wrote: »

this has to be good for wolf, its very hard to trust a 35 year old to be gm and all he knows is green bay packers, let him go out and learn from different teams and he will be back in Green bay as gm in later years. Apparently in Gutekunst interview, he presented his pre draft reports for the last 3 years on the players we drafted and Murphy was blown away how accurate his was with them. Obviously he had Bust written beside Rollins:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Mike Pettine is our new defensive coordinator.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22017737/mike-pettine-hired-green-bay-packers-defensive-coordinator
    Pettine worked under Ryan as his defensive coordinator with the New York Jets from 2009 to 2012. His Jets defenses ranked first, third, fifth and eighth.

In fairness, he also managed to get 7 wins out of a Browns team - their most since 2007.

Funny thing is I remember it being asked who we could have hired that would make a difference this time last year after our humiliation against the Falcons... Pettine was also available then, and the year before that too.

I'm a bit confused about why he's been out of the sport entirely since 2015 to be honest. In his final season with the Browns their defense was bottom four in total yards, yards per play, points, scoring percentage per drive, rushing yards, and were 11th off bottom in passing yards. They were a good deal better though in 2014 and he had a 7-4 record there before being "Manzieled".

Hope this proves wrong but "complex defense" sounds familiar...
    https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/status/950914756617162752

Rumours that neither Bradley nor Fangio were even interviewed.

On the flipside, it would be nice to actually be prepared correctly for the team we're facing for what might be the first time since 2014:
    https://twitter.com/Bill_Michaels/status/950913701334470657

And if correct, we can all be happy to hear this:
    https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/950914763374186497

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Funny thing is I remember it being asked who we could have hired that would make a difference this time last year after our humiliation against the Falcons... Pettine was also available then, and the year before that too.

I'm a bit confused about why he's been out of the sport entirely since 2015 to be honest.

From http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000765116/article/sabbatical-year-how-fired-coaches-spend-time-away-from-game
    Having ridden the emotional roller coaster of two rugged, losing campaigns, Pettine mulled his options before choosing to temporarily step off the main stage.

"It's hard to be away," Pettine said last month. "There's kind of that fear of the unknown of, 'Wow, if I step away from football for a year, is that going to hurt my chances to get back in?' So I really weighed both sides of it and had real good conversations with [my agent], Trace [Armstrong], and just felt like, unless a great opportunity comes along, I don't want to jump back in just for the sake of jumping back in, because there are so many positives to taking a year off. It's been a tremendous thing for me, both personally and professionally."

That's reassuring alright! Considering the final year in CLE was a disaster (though he was HC and not DC) I was worried, but more just confused looking at his time with the Jets, Bills and his first year or so with Cleveland.

The Jets had the big splash plays too but they spent huge on defense which we won't be doing, otherwise I have a recollection of those teams being very chippy (NYJ included, they just also had the eye popping stuff) - I think we can all we would kill for a somewhat boring defense that makes first downs extremely hard to work for after the last half decade.

"He’ll be the best coordinator in the league; that’s how good he is,” Ryan said per Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “I think the big thing is, the fan base ought to be super excited about him because this is a good get. There’re other names out there or whatever, but this is the best coach out there that they could’ve got."

Superbowl here we come:pac:. The jets under Pettine were awesome and played aggressive and played man press on the wr at the line but as Pat pointed out we don't have the same caliber of CB as Pettine had in new York but I'm really looking forward to next year all ready, anyone is better than Caper at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Love this clip and look from Shanahan to Pettine. Their breakdown in relationship should add to the dynamic of the game next season

https://twitter.com/Rob_Lowder/status/819694424418418689

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Muhammad Wilkerson visiting the Packers.

If he wasn't too expensive I would like him to be a DE on our team.

Oh my god I would be over the moon! On the proviso that it's a 1-2 year 'prove it' deal, he's lost his way but Wilkerson in his first several seasons was an utter monster. Daniels has been class for years, Kenny Clark went from doing little as a rookie (quite regular for DTs) to being a monster for much of last year, and Dean Lowry reminds me of Brett Keisel from the Steelers a few years back - really unspectacular looking on a play-by-play basis but forever doing the dirty work and always going 110% to let others around him excel.

And when Wilkerson was excelling with the Jets in his first few years, guess who his defensive coordinator was. ;)

--

Bit of an aside but I just noticed Clark, Lowry, Blake Martinez, Kyle Murphy (who I think will be a starter within the next year or two), Jason Spriggs and Trevor Davis (still a bit erratic but our first lethal looking return man in forever) were all drafted in 2016. Early days but they all look like guys who could really excel, and if they do that could prove to be one of the very best GB drafts in living memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

Odd deal, he was just starting to play well. And its not like the Packers have a surplus of quality CBs.

Any word on what Packers might have gotten in return? It better be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Blut2 wrote: »
    Odd deal, he was just starting to play well. And its not like the Packers have a surplus of quality CBs.

Any word on what Packers might have gotten in return? It better be good.

1g45yo8y1tk01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

4th or 5th I'd reckon.

Ye i agree

We've traded him for Kizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Cleveland Browns agreed to a trade with the Green Bay Packers, sending Kizer and a 4th round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft to Green Bay in exchange for Damarious Randall and a 5th round pick in 2018

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/972257975007105025

Hm don't think I like this deal. Rodgers is still a little young to be grooming a replacement QB. While a higher quality backup QB is obviously a good thing, the team could probably be better served right now by strengthening the defense instead. Or even getting some more offensive players who'll actually start.

That's a wretched deal, kizer looked exactly like Hundley ffs. Like the exact same weaknesses and everything. Whatever about Randall that is a terrible signing by us, clearly not earning our lesson to pick up an experienced journeyman.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's a wretched deal, kizer looked exactly like Hundley ffs. Like the exact same weaknesses and everything. Whatever about Randall that is a terrible signing by us, clearly not earning our lesson to pick up an experienced journeyman.

Bit harsh on Kizer to be fair. Thrown in the deep end with that expectation after being drafted #52 was a little bit too much to ask.

Interceptions obviously was his big weakness but I’ve no doubt 3/4 years under the tutelage of one of the best ever that he’ll come good.

G obviously has his eye on some FA replacements.

I think it’s a good deal, Kizer has great size and weight, and given a few yrs tutelage will come good.

I do suppose on one hand Goff last year compared to 2016 might be cause for hope since he looked absolutely dreadful as a rookie in a terrible team, but I saw a good few Browns games last year and a lot of the issues as well as throwing accuracy and going through the routes/progressions to spot guys, for me were presnap things. Him and Hundley there really mirrored each other in terms of displays of on-field intelligence, in that neither really showed even a glimpse of any.

Though this means we absolutely have to be going for CBs in free agency - right now we have Kevin King who had 9 games and 5 starts in his whole career, Hawkins who I quite like as around a 5th CB option but probably not much more, Pipkins who has only played on defense for 3-4 games in his career and who is probably a #5/6 option, and Goodson who is a good special teamer but will never be a DB. So basically we now need a slot guy, a boundary guy, and ideally a 4th CB option if we're not retaining House. All while surely needing to address EDGE at the top of the draft as there isn't a whole lot around in FA (and of course deep WR and TE).

Hopefully this makes a lot more sense in a few weeks than it does right now. Anyway, time to puts the bets on early for Randall to go all pro in 2018! :pac:

Nelson will get another year, good mate of Rodgers.

Cobb could be out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

This a few years of tutelage under rodgers thing......where are ye getting the idea this will benefit?? look at all the qbs we have had since rodgers came in, Matt flynn is by far the best of them and thats saying something

Apparently we have about 17mn in space right, though Rodgers signing a new deal should likely clear up money for this year. Assuming one of Nelson or Cobb are gone that's another $12.5mn. I would probably release Matthews if he won't restructure from his $11.5mn this year (but would love to have him at a lower figure - if we get out other LB spots sorted, having him spelling guys by moving around the four spots and being unpredictable could be lethal and would still allow him as much snaps as probably all but Blake Martinez). Also while I do really like Bulaga it might be time to turn the RT role over to Spriggs who was very impressive last year after looking lost as a rookie in the swing tackle spot, which is another $8mn.

Being quick and lazy about it since there are likely clauses, dead money situations etc in there, but getting rid of Bulaga and one of Cobb/Nelson brings us to $37mn, Matthews restructuring could get us north of $40mn, and Rodgers' new deal might see us in the $40-45mn range. I honestly feel we would be flat out stupid to not go EDGE in the first round even if it means trading up (one of Chubb [definite draft up needed], Edmunds [probably draft up needed], Davenport [may fall to #14]) but that would mean needing to address some other areas in FA. It'll be an interesting few weeks before then, and if it isn't I'll be quite let down.

Not getting Sam Shields is a bit disappointing - he signed with the Rams who have Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters (as well as Trumaine but I'm sure that means he's gone) which would lead me to believe he signed on a cheap 'prove it' deal after effectively two years out. He's a speed-based guy but at 30 we might have been able to get about three years of his best still, and had him basically just take House's spot so if it didn't work out it's not like we're all in on him. Oh well...

In all fairness Randall is entering a contract year and isn’t a true corner. His a free safety or slot guy and we have plenty of them and he wouldn’t suit pettine high press coverage so I think it’s a win win. Keizer should’ve stay in college for his senior year and he would be further down the road. His just turn 22 and did some nice things for the browns, and truth be told anyone would be better than Hundley. But god damn it, its exciting have a gm who doesn’t take off fishing when free agency starts

• Advertisement

Advertisement