Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where and how do fishing guides come up with their prices!

Options
  • 05-08-2011 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

I'd love to do a days fishing with a guide. Problem is, the prices they charge are extorsionate! The cheapest I've found is 160 euro but that's in Waterford so travel expenses would be incurred too. Just got a reply from a place in Wicklow, 250 euro!!!! Full days fishing and lunch. No lunch is 220, what kinda gourmet meal are they expecting to put on?????

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

thehamo wrote: »
    I'd love to do a days fishing with a guide. Problem is, the prices they charge are extorsionate! The cheapest I've found is 160 euro but that's in Waterford so travel expenses would be incurred too. Just got a reply from a place in Wicklow, 250 euro!!!! Full days fishing and lunch. No lunch is 220, what kinda gourmet meal are they expecting to put on?????
    €250 + €30 for lunch :eek: - what where is this fishery in Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fishing guides have to live too. They have to pay for public liability insurance, fishing gear, spare tackle for clients, keeping said gear up to spec, boat maintenance, petrol, marketing materials, website design/maintenance, outdoor clothing, as well as all the expenses you or I have in day to day living, such as food, mortgage, bills, etc. They also pay tax on their earnings.
    €160 per day works out at €800 per week - IF they have bookings for 5 days. Many will only get one or two bookings a week, kinda hard to survive on that when you take all the expenses into account. Plus most guides will take 2 anglers out, so that's the cost halved if you can share the guide with a friend.
    Try fishing in America, or many other places, you will pay a LOT more than €160.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Zzippy wrote: »
    They also pay tax on their earnings.

classic :D:D:D:D........i must dig out all those Ghillie VAT receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

classic :D:D:D:D........i must dig out all those Ghillie VAT receipts.

:o

Well, they should pay tax on their earnings! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

What river in wicklow requires a guide !!!*??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

fisherking wrote: »
    What river in wicklow requires a guide !!!*??

T'wasnt a river. It was in lough dan. Fair enough point about having to make a living. But what about my fun? Did they not factor that in with their pricing? :p

Advertisement