Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers and Waste meat......(RAW feeder)

• 05-08-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭

I do feed alot of meat to my dogs and try get some from butchers that is not used for human,offal cuts,out of date etc..
    Just lately though i have found it hard to get it from my usual source,can get boney bits but waste meat is hard,what do they actually do with meat that is not used?
    Anyone else get meat from there butchers in town finding the same??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Moved from the Tipperary forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭dahat

was aimed at CLONMEL forum............as in i wanted a local discussion with a view to getting to know if other locals have trouble,not much point discussing a local issue with people hundreds of miles away

You didn't mention Clonmel or Tipperary anywhere in your post, so I moved it to a much busier forum where a great many people who also have dogs might be able to give you advice. This is a general forum; not all posters are "hundreds of miles away". Many might be located a great deal closer than you think.

Have you tried contacting an abbatoirs, meat factories, or greyhound owners? All should be able to give you good tips :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Having worked in both a meat processing factory and a butchers in the past I can tell you that there is zero to very little wastage in a carcass. Obviously this depends on whether your butcher kills his own meat or not but assuming that meat arrives in sides, there is virtually nothing that is unsaleable. To clarify - if your end production weight for the week was a few hundred grammes less than your intake weight, you'd be looking for the staff member who had helped themselves to a few burgers ;). What waste there is, is virtually all bone and fat other than damaged, bruised or spoiled meat. Most of the fat will go back into sausage and mincemeat. Obviously I don't know where you source your meat but very few butchers kill their own anymore, just isn't worth the extra hassle and red tape.

<ETA>Maybe a little too much info for some people on this forum, but there it is non the less! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I think all three butchers in Clonmel kill their own.......well 2 out of the three do anyway and the third gets plenty of meat for his own dogs......2tonnes a week I think! not sure where he gets that from but may be worth a chat to him (narrow street, dont know the name)

• Advertisement

ppink wrote: »
    I think all three butchers in Clonmel kill their own.......well 2 out of the three do anyway and the third gets plenty of meat for his own dogs......2tonnes a week I think! not sure where he gets that from but may be worth a chat to him (narrow street, dont know the name)

Spoke to him and he is pretty mean tbh,got a few lots off him but all fatty cuts to the extreme.

Do a crowd called Munster Proteins take alot of waste from butchers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

dahat wrote: »
    Do a crowd called Munster Proteins take alot of waste from butchers?

Never heard of them myself.

Not sure about Munster Protein, they are in Cahir I think and deal with derivatives so they could well take a lot of that stuff.

what sort of cuts are you looking for?

I got some pretty good large bones for our dogs with good meat on them from the butcher across from boots in Clonmel......although the hearts in there are dearer than the narrow st guy.
    do you use eggs too? they do have offers on those from time to time in the supermarkets and they are good for them too. I see some dog food are now egg instead of meat.
    Someone on here posted the other day about getting beef reduced in tesco for 45cents. I am not sure where they are based but I have never seen the supermarkets in the clonmel/waterford area to reduce to that.

I never tried that butcher,must go in there,he is pricey though in general..
    Beef hearts are 3.50 in narrow street now,that is as cheap as i have found them.
    Dunnes in Clonmel are way better to reduce meat than anywhere else,often got stuff cheap,mince as well if i was stuck.
    Cappaquinn Chickens is the place to go for chicken meat if you have freezer room,meat,necks,thighs etc.all can be bought in bulk there
    If you are after Frozen tripe,green,go to Foodforpets.ie,2kg's for 6 euro,collected some from Gortnafluer the other day,dogs loved it.
    Do use eggs too,they are pretty cheap anyway...

• Advertisement

I pay €3 for beef hearts in narrow street;) they are €4 in the place across from Boots but he did give me a mountain of good bones.

do cappoquin do a set price for a box of meat?

15kgs for in around 10 euro,possibly less,it is sold as pet food and frozen so try get it fresh so ring before ya go there.
    Necks,thighs,legs etc are all sold in bulk for good prices.

I must try that lad for good bones as i need ones they can't consume if ya get me!

I've just asked someone who regularly buys lots of meat for dogs. Being from Tipp, you have two choices.

1) Contact John O'Rourke and Sons of Nobber, Co. Meath (046-9052293). Every Friday he delivers a lot of frozen meat to Rosegreen.

2) Contact AIBP meat in Cahir. Apparently if you are willing to bag it yourself, there's a lot there.

People who get meat in the above two ways tend to buy in great bulk, bring it home, and freeze it.

AIBP in Cahir is an option as i could get it fresh and bag it up at home properly..

Thanks for the help,appreciate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

i used to work in a butchers where we killed our own beef. any waste, bruised or stale meat was minced up and and we sold it to greyhound people. bones were given to anyone who asked for them. this shop is only about twenty minutes from clonmel as well.

I have gotten doggie mince as they call it but place where i got it sold it at 4 euro a kilo plus minced up all sorts into it,seasoned meat etc,not really ideal for dogs as such even though they sold it as doggie mince!

Dahat did you know that Natures menu are based in Gurtnafleur outside Clonmel?
    I just got a sample from them so will see how that goes down.

they do 2kg bags of meat for €5.99/€6.99

ppink wrote: »
    Dahat did you know that Natures menu are based in Gurtnafleur outside Clonmel?
    I just got a sample from them so will see how that goes down.

they do 2kg bags of meat for €5.99/€6.99

Just got a couple of bags last week,best advice don't thaw it fully as it gets mushy!
    Can't complain though,got the tripe too as a treat,handy to have just in case of emergency etc...

Advertisement