Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Draw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

spurs v hearts. Shouldnt be too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

indiewindy wrote: »

Good draw, not too far to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭condor26

Yep I agree, Id say the lads are happy enough thats its close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hope we lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

indiewindy wrote: »

They will be up for the game, judging by our manager's comments our will be barely interested. Could be dicey.
    THFC wrote: »
    Hope we lose it.

Glory, glory...

• Advertisement

Hope we lose it.

Hate that attitude..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Hope we lose it.

would think you're on your own with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

BERBA wrote: »
    Hope we lose it.
    would think you're on your own with this one.
    Meh! I wouldn't care too much if we did. Last seaon's taste of CL has, to my mind, diminished the importance of all other trophies besides the PL. It'd be one less distraction if we were to get knocked out. Even if we were to have a good run at it we'd more than likely come up against no more than a couple of teams that would inspire any bit of excitement.

Im looking forward to it. Yes we wont play our strongest side, but the fringe players and more importantly the younger players should get a chance so it'll be good to see what they are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hope we lose it.

Can't believe there are Spurs fans who actually hope they lose a game, wow what has football become:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

im not a spurs fan but have to agree with the "hope we lose it" comment. why would anyone want to waste thier time in this competition. the fa cup would be more important imo, the europa league is just a waste of time as most of the good teams in it dont give a **** so whats the point? better of concentrating on a good league finish or a good cup run in which teams are actually trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I really hope we win it this year I know it can be a nuisence especially in the latter stages of the season but a mix of senior and young players could do really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Can't believe there are Spurs fans who actually hope they lose a game, wow what has football become:confused:
    A bit melodramatic, no:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Hope we lose it.

As a Spurs supporter, I want us to win EVERY game !!

We had a taste of CL football last season ( and it was great) but this seems to have gone to some "supporters" heads ( remember back to our days of "Midtable Mediocrity").
    We have a good team just missing 1/2 players to push us back into the top 4. Get those players ( Forward is a must, we all know that) and grab that top 4position. Retain top 4 & players the following season, and thats the time to have realistic hopes of a title :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

i've been supporting spurs for around 25 years now and and i can still remember the barren years of the 90's when we had no european football at all,we are not that big a club to so easily dismiss any competition,the squad is big enough and with the right mix of youth and expierienced players good enough to handle the likes of hearts and get tru the group stage.
    i'd love to see us reach the latter stages of the uefa cup,we have a good history in it and theres the likes of....celtic,lazio,psv,seville,ath madrid,rangers,roma,sp lisbon,psg,anderlecht,bestiktas,braga,d kiev and shalke in the mix aswell.all good teams that would stir the imagination on a thursday night at the lane.
    bring it on........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

.. I dont think anyone actually wants us to lose or not qualify or not win it.

But the concern is that we will be there or there abouts for a top 4 finish come next March/April and then we fall away because of the Europa league commitments and maybe end up with nothing - no top 4 finish, no Europa League trophy and maybe not even a 5th or 6th pplace finish. Thats the risk. Thats the worry.

I don't know why there is such a big reaction. Even winning the EL isn't worth the inevitable slump in league form caused by midweek matches in eastern Europe. It's a second rate competition, and I'd rate Spurs as being on the brink of a first rate team. Being in this EL brings very few benefits, for example, how many people watched the EL final last May that was in Dublin? And I'd imagine less than half of that figure watched the semi finals and the earlier stages. So even in terms of exposure it's not really much of a prize. Losing this tie vs Hearts would do us much more good than IMO, and may be what determines our chances of breaking into the most competitive top 4 in PL history. We should settle for nothing less than CL football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Sorry guys meaningless competition.

Now the Old UEFA cup, that was proper.

.. I dont think anyone actually wants us to lose

Read previous posts mate ;)

Sorry guys meaningless competition.

Now the Old UEFA cup, that was proper.

Cmon man, you remember the days of no european football and here we are saying we dont want to be in it. I agree it's not the most attractive of competitions, but you gotta take what your given. Beat Hearts, get through the group stages using our younger players and fringe first team players, and there could be a couple of tasty european games at the lane come March/April 2012.

COYS

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Cmon man, you remember the days of no european football and here we are saying we dont want to be in it. I agree it's not the most attractive of competitions, but you gotta take what your given. Beat Hearts, get through the group stages using our younger players and fringe first team players, and there could be a couple of tasty european games at the lane come March/April 2012.

COYS

Sorry Pal, Just don't see it that way.

Thursday night games fcuking up Saturday fixtures.
    Rubbish games against unknown opposition in half empty stadiums
    Something like 25 games from rd 1 to the final.
    No hope of doing well in the PL if we take it seriously.
    CL drop outs entering the competition after Christmas cheapens it more.
    It's small time, it's pointless and it's totally Micky Mouse.
    Winning it is not glorious, it would be nice but I wouldn't boast about it.

It's only grace is it could be useful to give the young players a run out
    I wouldn't want to see any of the 1st team anywhere near it.

Thankfully, I think Harry shares my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Agree, it's not a priority for us.
    Good experience and opportunity for fringe players though.
    We need to get CL next season or we'll be saying bye bye to Luka, Bale, et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm with you guys. While in theory it's great we're in Europe, this competition does nothing but keep the teams who are not in the CL out of the CL by ensuring they play a potentially ridiculous amount of games on non-league friendly nights. If they switched the games to a Wednesday night it would make things a lot better.

Play the young lads and if we get knocked out, big deal. The sooner we're on a parity with Liverpool's schedule this season, the better.

Wednesday - Saturday

Thursday - Sunday

Is my calendar broken, or is that the same sort of time frame?

Wednesday - Saturday

Thursday - Sunday

Some people dont see it that way.

At least harry and others have the perfect excuse if things go belly up..

Sorry Pal, Just don't see it that way.

Thursday night games fcuking up Saturday fixtures.
    Rubbish games against unknown opposition in half empty stadiums
    Something like 25 games from rd 1 to the final.
    No hope of doing well in the PL if we take it seriously.
    CL drop outs entering the competition after Christmas cheapens it more.
    It's small time, it's pointless and it's totally Micky Mouse.
    Winning it is not glorious, it would be nice but I wouldn't boast about it.

So we are too big for the Europa League ? How many times have been in or had a half decent run in Europe over the last decade or so..

As I said already, it aint the most attractive, and the travelling is not ideal, depending on who you draw, but it's European football, something we should try and enjoy.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    So we are too big for the Europa League ? How many times have been in or had a half decent run in Europe over the last decade or so..

As I said already, it aint the most attractive, and the travelling is not ideal, depending on who you draw, but it's European football, something we should try and enjoy.

I'll still watch the games, they'll make Thurdays a bit more interesting I suppose. But it's all a bit cringe worthy I'm afraid.

As the song goes: "Thursday Night, Channel 5"

It's nothing to be proud of

Hatch99 wrote:
    Some people dont see it that way.

At least harry and others have the perfect excuse if things go belly up..

It's not like we want things to go belly up Hatch, and I'd be fairly sure Harry and his team dont want it to either. EL is a curse, there are no pros to playing in it, apart from maybe a few extra bob. If the winners got a CL place then it might actually be worth it.
    I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for wanting to play in the EL, other than for "the glory", and that goes for you too therecklessone, rather than just making condescending comments and insulting sigs. If we want CL again we need to be ruthless, and if that means neglecting sub-standard competitions, so be it. I'd hate to be looking at another few seasons of mid-table mediocrity and looking to the feckin Carling Cup for silverware, especially after the heights of 2010, which what we'll be in for if we don't finish in the top 4 this season. It'd be a shame not to capitalise on our best squad in over twenty years and instead start chasing cups like the EL.

I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for wanting to play in the EL, other than for "the glory", and that goes for you too therecklessone, rather than just making condescending comments and insulting sigs.

Get your knickers untwisted there, the sig is an extract from the pisstake "transfer request" jpg doing the rounds that Luka was supposed to have put in.

I won't lose much sleep in the grand scheme of things should we go out early, but I detest hearing people say they hope we lose. To put it quick frankly it is a losers attitude.

Secondly, no team with even a modicum of self respect lists a 4th place finish in the league as an historical achievement, and when I hear people dismiss cup competitions of any nature I always get the feeling they'd be happier with a 4th pace finish every year just so they can red button a game on a Tuesday night.

Here's a question, without googling where did we finish in the 1971-72 Division 1 table?

What about 1982-83?

Football should be about winning: games, and ultimately trophies. Sending teams out to lose is unforgiveable.

And finally, I cannot get my head around the argument that us playing in the EL will harm our challenge for 4th place: when we do qualify for the CL how are we going to cope with that workload?

• Advertisement

Wednesday - Saturday

Thursday - Sunday

In my experience 2 or 3 o'clock Sunday games after a UEFA tie are tame affairs with poor/sleepy atmospheres. This seems to transmit to the players. I often get the sence that the players and supporters are just going through the motions, the crowd never seems as up for it as a "normal" fixture. The reduced Sunday pub hours definately has something to do with it.

Again, just my experience....

From a personal convienience point of view, Sunday's a school night and I prefer to see my team play on a Saturday when I can build a nice little session around the game :D

Advertisement