Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Draw

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Get your knickers untwisted there, the sig is an extract from the pisstake "transfer request" jpg doing the rounds that Luka was supposed to have put in.
    My knickers are fine thanks very much, believe it or not, what people say on the internet doesn't have much of a bearing on my life. And it was an easy mistake to make, apologies.
    I won't lose much sleep in the grand scheme of things should we go out early, but I detest hearing people say they hope we lose. To put it quick frankly it is a losers attitude.
    That's paraphrasing. In this context it's very much a winners attitude. Going after a trophy where the top 20 European teams don't compete in (with exceptions obviously) is more if a "losers" attitude.
    Secondly, no team with even a modicum of self respect lists a 4th place finish in the league as an historical achievement, and when I hear people dismiss cup competitions of any nature I always get the feeling they'd be happier with a 4th pace finish every year just so they can red button a game on a Tuesday night.
    An historical achievement? I don't believe I used that phrase, but if I implied anything to that significance, once again, apologies. 4th place, and I am sure more people would agree with me than disagree, is a far greater accomplishment than winning any trophy barr the CL. CL is a springboard to one day challenging for the league. It enables us to attract world class players, like van der Vaart, and hold on to our own world class players, like Modders and Bale. It also secures us huge funds for transfers/wages and gives us exposure all over Europe and indeed the world. I'd imagine we gained a lot more fans/admirers last year than we ever have in one season, and this will further boost our income.
    Here's a question, without googling where did we finish in the 1971-72 Division 1 table?

What about 1982-83?
    I don't know the answer to either of those questions bit I'd take a stab at 4th considering your earlier comment.
    Football should be about winning: games, and ultimately trophies. Sending teams out to lose is unforgiveable.
    Agreed. But we should definitely prioritise. Fergie certainly did in 2001, didn't even enter the FA Cup, and he ended up a winner that season.
    And finally, I cannot get my head around the argument that us playing in the EL will harm our challenge for 4th place: when we do qualify for the CL how are we going to cope with that workload?
    That is a good question, but Dublin Spur made a good point above. I bloody hate Sunday games. For whatever reason they seem much more lacklustre than Saturday games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

It's only grace is it could be useful to give the young players a run out

Is this you being positive ? ;)

THFC wrote: »
    It's not like we want things to go belly up Hatch, and I'd be fairly sure Harry and his team dont want it to either.

Have you listened to him recently ? The way he goes on sickens me, but that's another kettle of fish I suppose !

Shít enough group travel wise;

Tottenham
    Rubin Kazan (south Russia)
    PAOK (Greece)
    Aaaaaaaannnnnnndddddd......... *drumroll*

Shamrock Rovers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Rovers away will be in the aviva i'd say. Divided loyalties for me as I'm a hoops season ticket holder as well as a massive spurs fan. Sure its win win anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Shít enough group travel wise;

Tottenham
    Rubin Kazan (south Russia)
    PAOK (Greece)
    Aaaaaaaannnnnnndddddd......... *drumroll*

Shamrock Rovers!

I sit near one of the rovers directors here in work, let the battle commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Rovers away will be in the aviva i'd say. Divided loyalties for me as I'm a hoops season ticket holder as well as a massive spurs fan. Sure its win win anyway!

be careful you dont get splinters on that fence :D

Mullo76 wrote: »
    be careful you dont get splinters on that fence :D

ha ha in fairness I will be supporting Rovers just hope a proper beating isnt dolled out by spurs we can save that for rubin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

I'm loyal Dundalk Fan , and I was absolutely delighted for Shamrock rover's team and fans last night , fantastic achievement,
    expected them to get a tough draw , however I'm sure the team and fans will enjoy the experience ,
    3points at home V POAK is realistic,
    If any of their home games get moved to RDS or Aviva , I will for one be getting a ticket to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

When will the fixtures be made? It's my birthday on Thursday and the wife may get me tickets to that match in Dublin and a hotel :)

• Advertisement

afaik rovers v spurs will be on the 15th sept. I think sky just said its going to be on in the avivia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Group ABC Fixtures from UEFA.com

15 Sep 2011 PAOK FC - Tottenham Hotspur FC
    29 Sep 2011 Tottenham Hotspur FC - Shamrock Rovers FC
    20 Oct 2011 Tottenham Hotspur FC - FC Rubin Kazan
    3 Nov 2011 FC Rubin Kazan - Tottenham Hotspur FC
    30 Nov 2011 Tottenham Hotspur FC - PAOK FC
    15 Dec 2011 Shamrock Rovers FC - Tottenham Hotspur FC

Hearvee wrote: »
    15 Sep 2011 PAOK FC - Tottenham Hotspur FC
    3 Nov 2011 FC Rubin Kazan - Tottenham Hotspur FC

Will be interesting to see how we do after the away games. We've Liverpool at home after POAK and Balckburn away after Rubin. The Blackburn game should be quite difficult, Kazan is a 10 hour flight from London, including one stop. Hopefully the Blackburn game can be put back to Monday or something.
    And we've Wigan away after the Shams match but we shouldn't be suffering too much after that trip.

And there you all were giving out about being in it, i bet you have changed your mind now that we are coming to the capital :D

Hatch99 wrote: »
    And there you all were giving out about being in it, i bet you have changed your mind now that we are coming to the capital :D
    Ah not at all, I think it will disrupt our season but lets not start that again! Now that we're in it I might as well accept it and get fully behind them.

Will be interesting to see how we do this weekend against Man City, if we lose another game after a European tie no doubt the statisticians will be out in force:rolleyes:

Ah not at all, I think it will disrupt our season but lets not start that again! Now that we're in it I might as well accept it and get fully behind them.

Will be interesting to see how we do this weekend against Man City, if we lose another game after a European tie no doubt the statisticians will be out in force:rolleyes:

If we lose against City, it'll have nothing to do with the hearts game, we'll have near on a completely differtent team out on sunday.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    If we lose against City, it'll have nothing to do with the hearts game, we'll have near on a completely differtent team out on sunday.
    I fully agree, thats why I put the roll eyes smiley, but some eijits will use it another stat, just like they'll use the United game as one too, to which the Hearts game had as much influence as the colour of their underpants.

Advertisement