Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External paint

Options
  • 05-08-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at painting outside of house. Went to local hardware store and dulux weathershield is 55 per container..is that a reasonable price or could I get it cheaper elsewhere or online?
    Based in Kerry or would also consider other good quality external paints.
    Thanks
    F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

Hi,
    Looking at painting outside of house. Went to local hardware store and dulux weathershield is 55 per container..is that a reasonable price or could I get it cheaper elsewhere or online?
    Thanks
    F

Anyone ? Especially other external paint recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

What type of colour are you goin for? I presume its a colour because your going for Dulux, personally i use the Woodies homebrand stuff. every bit as good at half the price, other brands are fine too. Whatever you do though, stay away from Fleetwood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

personally i use the Woodies homebrand stuff. every bit as good at half the price, other brands are fine too. Whatever you do though, stay away from Fleetwood

Don't fleetwood make Woodies own brand paint?

Would also be interested in hearing any good prices for exterior paints in magnolia/cream..

Actually i eat my words, they do too. For some reason though its alot better (coverage wise) than the name brand stuff. Price wise you can check out woodies.ie, but if go to the paint shops that do trade, you'll pick up what for need for cheaper

What type of colour are you goin for? I presume its a colour because your going for Dulux, personally i use the Woodies homebrand stuff. every bit as good at half the price, other brands are fine too. Whatever you do though, stay away from Fleetwood

Looking at cobblelock, it's a new dulux color

• Advertisement

Any colour is going to cost you that/tin, its the standard price for a 5 lt, you might be able to get it cheaper if you go to a place that does trade but you need to find out from somebody down your way.

If your not fussy, i would just go for white. A hell of alot cheaper, and you can repaint easily (no colour fading or trying to match if the colour goes out of manufacture). Just a thought. Shop around though

Thanks for replies, food for thought. 1 other separate but related question..do I need to clean the Walls or can I just paint away. The house is up around 3 years, normal plaster finish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

you should spray on an anti fungicide before you paint.. & powerhose the walls

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Noisin

I was informed Berger make Woodies paint. I have used Berger magnolia for inside of a house I rent out and find it good. Manager of woodies who I'm friends with informed me of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi,
    Thanks
    F
    3rd house in a row ,clients bought sandtex good job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

just wondering does anyone know would it be expensive to stone/brick the outside of a three bed semi, like that now was looking into painting it , but i really dnt want to , i would prefer to get it like bricked then that would last a lifetime, no more painting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

GG66 wrote: »
    you should spray on an anti fungicide before you paint.. & powerhose the walls

You can put that treatment in the paint prior to painting

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

just wondering does anyone know would it be expensive to stone/brick the outside of a three bed semi, like that now was looking into painting it , but i really dnt want to , i would prefer to get it like bricked then that would last a lifetime, no more painting

Its going to be a lot more expensive that painting.
    However if you were considering upgrading the insulation of your house by installing external insulation, it might be worth looking at and there are grants available.

If your going to paint your house yourself, its going to cost about €500 (paint & equipment) So every 5 years for 25 years is a total of €2500.
    To get it cladded in brick or insulated and cladded is going to be in the region of €5000 to €20000 (estimates only)

Please consider how it will look compared to the neighbours house(s) - will it blend in?

You have a few options.
    - Build a new leaf of brick or stone around the house. There would have to be sufficient foundation and roofline (is existing foundation wide enough to carry another leaf and is roof overhang sufficent?). The new leaf would have to be tied into existing walls. This is going to be expensive and will affect doors, windows, guttering etc NOT REALLY A VIABLE OPTION
    - Cladding or stick on brick see http://stonecladding.ie/index.php for example. External walls have to be prepared and ready and then you set up your pattern and start sticking (can be DIY or contractor)
    - SIPS http://www.retrocladding.ie/ combining external insulation with brick/stone cladding

Advertisement