Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Attic Light

Options
  • 05-08-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

I'm fairly okay at DIY but haven't done much with any electrical.

I need to install a light up in the attic. Just a Typical White Pendant really.

What do I need to be able to tackle this myself?

Example, my parents installed a light maybe 15 years ago and for the switch in the attic to work they needed the landing light on as well. I assume by this that he spliced onto the landing light wiring in the attic.

This is a job I will be tackling alone so replies suggesting I contact a RECI approved tradesman and replies referring to the resale value of my house in respect of self installed wiring will be ignored. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

From you post it does sound like who ever put in your parents attic light spliced into the landing light also.

I fitted a FCU, then ran a feed for the light in the attic. Just a case of where you are taking the feed from. Really you want an independently controlled light.
    Plus how compentent are you with electric's? It's easy enough if you know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pump101

Sure whats the worst that could happen if you tackle it your self, electrocution, fire,etc.

Its not like fitting an ouside tap and it leaks. If it goes wrong its curtains my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Pump101 wrote: »
    Sure whats the worst that could happen if you tackle it your self, electrocution, fire,etc.

Its not like fitting an ouside tap and it leaks. If it goes wrong its curtains my friend.

Thank god then I wouldn't have the house electrics live whilst I installed it. ;)

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Thank god then I wouldn't have the house electrics live whilst I installed it. ;)

Oh yea perfect its safe so. If you get a high resistance connection when making your connections (WHEN POWER BACK ON), the connections may melt and lead to fire. Or have you considered the fact that installing a pendant with a 60W bulb in an attic is dangerous in itself regardless of how good your electrical skills are.???
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

For very little more effort and not a lot of extra cash I would install a flourescent fitting. It will help eliminate the shadows that will result from beams etc.

• Advertisement

Well at least heat wouldnt be as much of an issue with a flourescent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you go with fluorecent

get corrosion-proof w/electronic ballast

those ordinary ones will prob give trouble when you need them in the frost

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Pump101 wrote: »
    Or have you considered the fact that installing a pendant with a 60W bulb in an attic is dangerous in itself regardless of how good your electrical skills are.???
    :rolleyes:
    ??? :confused:

Advertisement