Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oo-oo-ultra-eccentric-super-cult-punk-pop-band-Shonen-Knife

Options
  • 05-08-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Whelanslive.com is very proud to present Japanese legends..

SHONEN KNIFE on their30th Anniversary Tour
    Whelans Of Wexford St
    Friday 19th August
    Tickets €14 (incl booking fee)available from Ticket.ie & WaV Box Office [lo-call 1890 200 078]

"oo-oo-ultra-eccentric-super-cult-punk-pop-band-shonen-knife!" - Shonen Knife

"When I finally got to see them live, I was transformed into a hysterical nine-year-old girl at a Beatles concert." - Kurt Cobain

“Shonen Knife – they know how to rock – Japanese punk pop at its best.” - BBC6 Music (Steve Lamacq)

“Shonen Knife are one of the most important bands in history, even if the world at large doesn’t know it” –Japan Times

“I'd like to propose that the UK government make Shonen Knife concerts available on the NHS as a sure‐fire cure for
    depression. “ – Nude Magazine

Japanese all-girl, power trio Shonen Knife might be the most effortlessly cool rock band of the last 30 years. Championed at various stages of their rather magnificent career by John Peel, Nirvana, Sonic Youth and just about anyone who has ever seen them live, Shonen Knife are rightly regarded as one of the most important bands ever to emerge from Japan and a groundbreaking act in the emergence of women in a previously male dominated rock scene.

Formed in Osaka in 1981 via a mutual love of 1960s girl groups and early punk rock groups such as The Ramones, Shonen Knife immediately set about distinguishing themselves from their peers through their brightly coloured stage dress and ridiculously catchy & upbeat pop-punk songs about insect catching and banana chips among many other important issues of the day.

Describing themselves as oo-oo-ultra-eccentric-super-cult-punk-pop-band-shonen-knife! the band went on to release 15 albums (and counting) across a plethora of legendary indie labels including Sub Pop & K Records and established themselves as one of the most exciting live bands in the world. They were the subject of a tribute album in 1989 entitled Every Band Has A Shonen Knife Who Loves Them featuring, amongst others, Sonic Youth, L7, Red Kross & Babes In Toyland.

Pop-punk has become a much maligned genre in recent years owing to the amount of bands who are neither pop nor punk assuming the moniker but Shonen Knife are the real deal, comfortably occupying the space between bubblegum pop, Motown and DIY punk and who deliver a live performance that will leave you inspired & exhausted but grinning from ear to ear and back again. This is a rare chance to catch some bona-fide legends live and to help Shonen Knife celebrate 30 electrifying years in the music business. Do the Knife!

www.myspace.com/shonenknife

www.shonenknife.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Support from So Cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

They are one happy bunch of people and good pop music is hard to find.... I might check this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭whelanslive

This is coming this Friday folks. Gonna be a belter of a show...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭whelanslive

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

what time are they kicking off at tonight?

• Advertisement

That was wonderful, I haven't danced/smiled so much at a gig in ages. Great support band too, they closed with a song about "not committing to the creed of satan but still not tiring of a girls smile" or something similar, good setiment.

smokedeels wrote: »
    That was wonderful, I haven't danced/smiled so much at a gig in ages. Great support band too, they closed with a song about "not committing to the creed of satan but still not tiring of a girls smile" or something similar, good setiment.

That sounds like To Do List:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Is this the group that made an appearance on one of the Kill Bill movies.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Is this the group that made an appearance on one of the Kill Bill movies.

No, I believe they were called The 5.6.7.8s.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No, I believe they were called The 5.6.7.8s.

Yep and they are also terrible.

So Cow were awesome at this.

Barry Richardson is stuck in my head since the show. They'll prob tour before the end of the year make sure you go see them.

• Advertisement

Is "So Cow" the singer/guitarist and the rhythm section were just backing him?

I like the solo stuff I'm hearing too, I'm just curious and confused without a wikipedia page to guide me.

smokedeels wrote: »
    Is "So Cow" the singer/guitarist and the rhythm section were just backing him?

I like the solo stuff I'm hearing too, I'm just curious and confused without a wikipedia page to guide me.

So Cow was just Brian Kelly the singer. But now they're a full band and as far as I'm aware the next album will be written by the whole band as opposed to just Kelly himself.

Advertisement