Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A cattle question....

• 05-08-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

This is our first year in cattle country after decades of sheep...

A week or so ago, we got lost in the lanes here, as is easily done, and met a herd of cattle being taken in for milking.

Some interesting facial wear!

One cow had a large oval metal ??nose ring??

Another was wearing what looked like a large muzzle; reminded of an old fashioned cheese grater but larger.

Would be interested to learn why and what etc; have almost sorted the issues re gender of the beef cattle around us!

Thank you..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The one with the oval metal ring was probably reared on a cow and might have been sucking another cow. the ring if it had small spikes on it makes a cow that she is trying to suck, kick her away. Don't know what the muzzle was, maybe a chin ball marker/raddle on a bull? Bet you're even more confused now:D:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

blue5000 wrote: »
    The one with the oval metal ring was probably reared on a cow and might have been sucking another cow. the ring if it had small spikes on it makes a cow that she is trying to suck, kick her away. Don't know what the muzzle was, maybe a chin ball marker/raddle on a bull? Bet you're even more confused now:D:D

lol; thank you

The ring; it was not the ring I noticed, but what looked like a wide oval medallion hanging from it. About 3-4 inches wide and with engraving on it.

And the muzzle covered the cow's mouth and lower face.

Maybe some local thing; in the wilds of West Cork odd things happen.. there is a nearby cabbage field protected by rows of scarecrows who look like mionks...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Graces7 wrote: »
    lol; thank you

The ring; it was not the ring I noticed, but what looked like a wide oval medallion hanging from it. About 3-4 inches wide and with engraving on it.

The engraving may have been little spikes, like short 1 inch blunt nails?

Note to self,
    I really will have to find something better to do while at lunch!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

lol; thank you

And the muzzle covered the cow's mouth and lower face.

Maybe some local thing; in the wilds of West Cork odd things happen.. there is a nearby cabbage field protected by rows of scarecrows who look like mionks...

Muzzle would be to stop the animal eating. Maybe she's being dried off from milk so she's getting hay in the shed. Or could be to stop her licking some wound she had which was stitched or covered with cream,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The ring; it was not the ring I noticed, but what looked like a wide oval medallion hanging from it. About 3-4 inches wide and with engraving on it

Was it something like this in the first pic directly below? As blue5000 says they are an anti sucking device to stop other animals other than calves from sucking. The ones below are other variants that are much more aggressive and have spikes, the metal one is an older version, they're all generally plastic now.

Not a clue about the muzzle, could well be for what Karen described.
    nostagf1.jpg
    738-1278-large.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVxPhwsOCBToSpgsnjxqhSBkAnuU784gYlv3RGOUTB68smERmGUXmKA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Muckit wrote: »
    Sorry but just to let you know the correct term here would be cows.

Cattle is a collective term for all other bovine animals (males and females)
    i married a dublin man , and still 14 years later every cow is a he:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

done, and met a herd of cattle being taken in for milking

Now you'I sound like a real country person next time your down the local ;)

Muckit wrote: »

Now you'I sound like a real country person next time your down the local ;)
    ]]

Oh, OK.. no idea even where a local is, and I embarrrassed our landlord by asking re the sex of the field of..... cattle...the ones that graze here are beef .. beasts...

And yes to the picture; the jewelry the black cow is wearing is near enough.. no spikes....and I see re the muzzle also. Poor girl out there in the grass and cannot eat it.

Fascinating what we see and learn; thank you all! It has been on my mind a while now...Curiosity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

These don't stop the beast eating grass. when she puts her head down it sort of flips up and she can eat 'under' it. It covers her mouth when she tries to put her head under another cow to suck and if there are spikes the other cow will kick the milk robber away.

KatyMac wrote: »
    These don't stop the beast eating grass. when she puts her head down it sort of flips up and she can eat 'under' it. It covers her mouth when she tries to put her head under another cow to suck and if there are spikes the other cow will kick the milk robber away.

I meant the muzzle...:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement