Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creepy stalker-like guy on dublin bus

Options
  • 05-08-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hey there,

My girlfriend told me yesterday that since monday, she feels like there is a creepy guy following her while going to work.
    She takes the same bus every day for the past 2 years and has never seen that guy but since monday there is that guy that makes her feel uncomfortable.

She said that he always talks to her at the bus stop, asking questions about where she lives, where she works, how her day was, what she's up to, keeps starring at her with a weird smile etc. And she just tries to break off the conversation and move away, giving a clear signal that she doesn't want to talk to him, but he keeps on going.
    She told me after she gets on the bus, he tries to sit close to her, and if there is no space straight away, he waits until some seat frees up closer to her and just moves seats and pretends nothing is going on. And the first 2 days he got off at the same stop as her, but now he seems to just get off at random places.

This morning I walked her to the bus stop, and she was really hoping he wouldn't be there, but then he showed up out of nowhere.
    He's approximately in his late 40s, (my girlfriend being in her mid 20s), always wears sunglasses and always has a news paper with him.
    He's definitely not your regular friendly old guy that just chats to random people, but he rather makes a creepy impression.

I didn't want to confront the guy this morning saying to back off since he didn't even come close to us nor did he say anything, we just made sure that he saw us as a couple holding hands, hugging and kissing, so he gets the point!

This morning he got on the bus before her, he went up stairs and she sat down downstairs. After a while he apparently just came back down, and sat right next to another young girl, although the bus was almost empty.

My girlfriend also told me that he doesn't seem to be going anywhere, he just gets off at random stops.

I know he's not doing anything wrong in a legal point of view, and my first reaction was when my girlfriend told me there's a guy coming on to her, that he's probably just some older lonely guy that talks to all kind of strangers. But now that I have seen him, he's definitely not that kind of guy, but rather fully aware that he chats up young girls half his age and makes them uncomfortable.

My girlfriend is normally VERY sociable and doesn't mind talking to strangers on the bus, but she keeps saying that guy just gives her the creeps.

So what do you do with a guy, that chats up younger girls half his age at the bus stop, doesn't react when trying to break off the conversation, follows you on the bus, moves seats several times during the bus journey just to sit next to young girls, even though there is a lot of empty space and then he seems to not go anywhere specific, but gets of at random stops where girls get off.

I know everyone has their own ways of flirting and most of us do that in a pup in the evenings and not hopping on and off dublin buses at 8 in the morning stalking young women half his age on their way to work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

Get over it or Get a car then you wont have to be putting up with shoite like this!!

It's all about perception. Your perception her perception nothing else! ....at the moment anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

You have to listen to your instinct with these things.

Can she get an earlier bus or take a different route?

There's actually SFA else you can do unless he was to actually threaten her or physically cause her harm unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I think this guy was mentioned on a thread here a short while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

My first instinct is to get aggressive with people like this. But then you have to factor into the equation that, if they are mental, you might just end up antagonising them and making things a whole lot worse.

God, it's a tricky situation.

Is there another bus she can get? Even if it's less convenient for her, for peace of mind, it'd be totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

she could stand on the bus near the driver to make a point for a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

That's exactly my thought as well, I don't mind confronting the guy, but what if that makes it a lot worse?

Unfortunately that's the only bus she can take. I'll keep walking her to the bus stop from now on, but as I said, she now told me that he does the same thing to other younger woman on the bus. Switching seats the entire time, until he sits next to a young girl, then making her uncomfortable with all the questions and getting off at their stop, and god knows what he's up to when he leaves the bus with another woman.
    I know it's non of our business what he does to other girls, but at the same time it's not right to just look the other way and pretend nothing is going on especially when we know that he just stalks women half his age.

On the upside, he does all that weird stalker stuff at 8am and not 10pm.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

why cant she just get an earlier bus?

he is probably just a bit onthe slow side.

these are the joys of public transport, i have met a few of them in my years of using public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

go to PI

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement