Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scopes tax

Options
  • 05-08-2011 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi gang,

Im a long time reader but just registered to ask about the craic on importing scopes from the US. I orderd a scope last night around the 900 dollar price from ebay. Im wondering now what should I expect in relation to tax and VAT?

BTW: I searched before I asked and I couldnt find any recent posts on the topic. Most where from last year and the year before.

Thanks

Harry Gorman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Hi gang,

Im a long time reader but just registered to ask about the craic on importing scopes from the US. I orderd a scope last night around the 900 dollar price from ebay. Im wondering now what should I expect in relation to tax and VAT?

BTW: I searched before I asked and I couldnt find any recent posts on the topic. Most where from last year and the year before.

Thanks

Harry Gorman
    .You prob should have bought from a us site rather than ebay ,lot of fake stuff on there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to boards.

If the scope makes it through both the export from the states and import here then the average rate of tax is 21% for VAT, and 4.7% excise duty.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

lb1981 wrote: »
    .You prob should have bought from a us site rather than ebay ,lot of fake stuff on there.

I have bought all my stuff on ebay,never gotten any fake items.:D
    And i am sure there is cooperation between the US customs and the Irish customs,so i would stay by the rules.
    And i just bought a scope on ebay as well,but it was reurned to seller again by US customs,demanding 2500$ in export!!!:eek:
    They obviously have this thing for scopes with mildot.
    Luckily i have a brother working in the US at the moment,he will bring it with him when he returns.:D
    So lesson learned,in the future shop in Ireland,Norway or within the EU ONLY.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What scope was it?

the_syco wrote: »
    What scope was it?

A sightron siii 8-32x56 mil\mil scope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 HarryGorman

Ezridax wrote: »
    Welcome to boards.

If the scope makes it through both the export from the states and import here then the average rate of tax is 21% for VAT, and 4.7% excise duty.

Is that euros or dollars?

I think it will be grand, the chap has great feedback 98% and a ton of sales over the past 2 years and he said he has shipped all over the world. But that aside, what causes a scope not to make it through as you put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A sightron siii 8-32x56 mil\mil scope.
    Coolio. Should've quoted the OP, as I was wondering which scope he was ordering from the USA, as opposed to here or the UK to avoid getting pwned by the tax man...

I think it will be grand, the chap has great feedback 98% and a ton of sales over the past 2 years and he said he has shipped all over the world. But that aside, what causes a scope not to make it through as you put it?

I believe scopes with milspec used by US forces,and some American made with mildots seems to be hard to get trough customs.:)
    But i dont know if this goes by state or all over US.
    I was told when i bought my scope by the seller that he had export license to ship to Ireland,but as you can see on my post above,that just didnt happen:mad:
    Now my brother is briniging it back from the US instead.

Sorry didnt realise that was meant for me.

Its a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50... what with that and one or two other bits its all comming to about $900.

Sorry didnt realise that was meant for me.

Its a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50... what with that and one or two other bits its all comming to about $900.

Dont think that should be a problem though,i got a zeiss 6,5-20x50 from the states trough ebay in the post last year.:)

• Advertisement

Euro.
    But that aside, what causes a scope not to make it through as you put it?

There seems to be a clamp down on exports from the states in that some models/brands of scopes are not being permitted to be exported. This is not the vendors but the Gov. in the states stopping them at the point of shipping.

Ebay could be a different story. The second part is the Irish customs are also increasing their checking of all packages and parcels. You may get a VAT & Duty bill or it could go through without be checked.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

i bought something else sporting related from the states earlier in the year that came to a value of approx 900 dollars it cost 342 euro in import duty and charges before i could get it :mad:

There seems to be a clamp down on exports from the states in that some models/brands of scopes are not being permitted to be exported. This is not the vendors but the Gov. in the states stopping them at the point of shipping.

Not trying to open a can of worms here, honestly :p

But 3 questions.

1) Any chance of a link which tells which companies/scopes/models/brands are on the "no" list.

2) Would the scope company who gets put on a black list not be the slightest little bit peed off that now he cant sell online... while other companys can?

3) Are black listed companies accepting this and getting on with business or are they doing/trying to do something about it?

Dont think that should be a problem though,i got a zeiss 6,5-20x50 from the states trough ebay in the post last year.:)

Mind me asking, did you get hit on the tax and VAT coming from ebay?

Mind me asking, did you get hit on the tax and VAT coming from ebay?

Actually not,this one slipped trough without.:D
    But i have had other items bought from ebay recent,that i had to pay tax and VAT on.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

If the scope is coming from the US the person sending it will have to get a export licence first.
    If they send it without one you risk losing it.
    Expect to pay around 180 euro on vat and import duty etc.

1) Any chance of a link which tells which companies/scopes/models/brands are on the "no" list.

Unfortunately there is no "list". To top it off some vendors are sending, some will noe send, some are getting through, and some are not. Its still hit and miss. Off the top of my head some of the higher end ones seem to be getting it worse than others such as, Nightforce, S&B, Leupold, Burris.
    2) Would the scope company who gets put on a black list not be the slightest little bit peed off that now he cant sell online... while other companys can?

Possibly. The thing it companies such as Nightforce, etc have a strict no export policy as there are vendors in Europe. The thing is some vendors will recognise that there is a big European market that are sick of paying over the odds and will chance it on. Others will not risk loosing their dealership/franchise of a particular brand.
    3) Are black listed companies accepting this and getting on with business or are they doing/trying to do something about it?

So far as i've heard the companies have not gotten any grief although hearing about it may be impossible in Ireland. If the scope manufacturers hear of it they may pull the franchises from the vendors but again we may never hear of it.

I've noticed an increase on company websites stating NO Shipping to Ireland/out of the US.

I'm not trying to scare you or say you won't get your scope. You will get it either with or without paying the taxes. The whole issue of shipping is another matter that may not have any relevance to you with this order, but may if anyone else is ordering from a "Large/ known" vendor.

No point in worrying about it. Just wait and see what happens.

Right. Well theres something new learned for today. :)

Im not too worried about my own scope not coming, as the chap Im buying from has sold plenty and has had no issues so far.

Do you think the reason its so hit and miss would be linked to what sorta mood the customs lad is in when your scope arrives? :D

Do you think the reason its so hit and miss would be linked to what sorta mood the customs lad is in when your scope arrives? :D

Seems so.

There have been as many threads recently about lads having their goods seized either state side of here as there have been lads saying they gets their goods without a hitch.

Go figure.:confused:

Maybe you should avoid ringing them on a monday:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

i'd say it comes down to what time of night/day the stuff arrives ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

For what its worth, I have noticed when buying bits and bobs for work, if the company (5.11, Hogue, Various holster companys) have a European dealer, then they will not ship directly outside the US and you have to go to their European reps.

Through ebay you may be able to buy the items from the US, as its not the company themselves selling it, but if it is one of the companys who's main site wont ship European, then you run the risk of having it seized.

I think opticsplanet have a list of brands they wont ship outside the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

To top it off . Off the top of my head some of the higher end ones seem to be getting it worse than others such as, Nightforce, S&B, Leupold, Burris.

Simple rule of thumb.If it has Mildot or simmilar,and is a high end scope brand .The company is more than likely is supplying the US Govt,and WILL NOT be easy to export.Ironically most of the scopes are available in the EU now,albeit at a slightly higher price,but without the inherient problems of export certs,customs dues etc.Which means your savings are almost negligible were you to DIY import it.

So far as i've heard the companies have not gotten any grief although hearing about it may be impossible in Ireland. If the scope manufacturers hear of it they may pull the franchises from the vendors but again we may never hear of it.
    I've noticed an increase on company websites stating NO Shipping to Ireland/out of the US

Two of the biggest companies have fallen foul of this are Brownells and Cabelas.Nor was it scopes ,but bits and gunsmith parts.Cost them about a 250K fine,so they are very cautious about sending anything that might be considerd arms components[inc scopes] outside CONUS.
    If the Feds will deal with two biggies like that ,how do you think a small mom&pop operation would fare??Hence a load of companies wont ship outside CONUS anymore.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

bravestar wrote: »
    For what its worth, I have noticed when buying bits and bobs for work, if the company (5.11, Hogue, Various holster companys) have a European dealer, then they will not ship directly outside the US and you have to go to their European reps.

Trouble is some of the companies like 5.11 dealerships in Europe and especially Ireland leave alot to be desired in PR or contactability to find a price or availability. Found www.extremeoutfitters.com to be a great shop for shipping outside the US,and in footwear or clothes it is worth the money to do so.

I think opticsplanet have a list of brands they wont ship outside the US
    They do!:) And it seems to be just about everything!:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    bravestar wrote: »

Trouble is some of the companies like 5.11 dealerships in Europe and especially Ireland leave alot to be desired in PR or contactability to find a price or availability. Found www.extremeoutfitters.com to be a great shop for shipping outside the US,and in footwear or clothes it is worth the money to do so.

I think opticsplanet have a list of brands they wont ship outside the US
    They do!:) And it seems to be just about everything!:(

Yeah I hear what your satin about them leaving a bit to be desired alright...Thanks for the link, must check em out for some new combats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Hi gang,

Thanks

Harry Gorman

Harry - have a look at an older thread that I posted here.

There's no firm list of scopes that can be shipped, however, I did find a few from Optics Planet.

In general, if the scope has a military application, like mildots, it will probably be a problem.

Additionally, if the company does business with the military, but also makes hunting gear, you may have a problem. I think some companies are trying to steer clear of a nebulous law and not risk their military contract. That is, however, pure speculation on my behalf.

Check out OpticsPlanet.com. If you are interested in a scope email them and ask if they'll ship to Ireland.

Some people have gotten a "yes we do ship to Ireland" only to have their order refused.

If you run into any problems I could always give them a call and see what's up.

I don't see why there would be a problem with Euro scopes like S&B, Zeiss, and the like.

Slan

Additionally, if the company does business with the military, but also makes hunting gear, you may have a problem. I think some companies are trying to steer clear of a nebulous law and not risk their military contract. That is, however, pure speculation on my behalf.
    It's actually fact,not speculation.
    Not so much a problem with the military ,but with State Dept and the ITAR regulations.Yes ,it does tie in to a certain with the military ,but not in the way you would think.
    Every item that is used by the US military ,be it a bog roll to a Nuke has a milspec part number,and obviously this applies to equipment that is being purchased,tested and appraised.

So say,XYZ scope company makes two scopes that they think will be the ultimate sniper scope,one is a civvie deer hunting model and the other is a beefed up version of the civvie hunting scope.Both will get a mil test number and be tested to the point of destruction etc.The normal civvie scope fails and is rejected as unsuitable by all ,or one five branches of the US armed forces.You would think thats the end of it and the scope can be sold to the civvie pouplation...

Wrong!!!Because of that US mil test number it is now classified as a military piece of equipment,and the fact the civvie scope might only be slightly different,even to a few screws or paint job.It falls under ITAR rules for sale or export to the general pouplation.

So what does that mean for us?Simply put the money is too big for a scope company to risk losing a Govt contract by risking a sale of ONE of their products to the GP outside CONUS.After all,mistakes can be made and if some Pe^on down in the shipping dept accidently sends XYZ's top milspec scope out to Grizzly 45 ,Ireland instead of the equally good civvie model,and it is intercepted by customs or worse used against Uncle Sam somwhere...
    They are looking at possibly car loads of gents arriving in suits and sunglasses and very short haircuts and absolutely no sense of humour at all,taking up residence in their office and going thru alot of paperwork with extremly fine toothcombs,and asking a lot of awkward questions!:eek:

Who wants or needs that hassle??Ditto this applies to the retail companies[say opticsplanet].So rather than risking any sort of trouble,it is better for them just not to sell anything remotely military or LE outside of CONUS.

Especially when you are dealing with an organisation like BATFE,who has the worst track record of any US govt branch ,including the IRS for corruption,incompetnce,dodgy charges and general skullduggery relating to firearms in the history of the USA?

Its just not worth the trouble to them!:(

I don't see why there would be a problem with Euro scopes like S&B, Zeiss, and the like.

If it isnt the above problem with some models,it will be the fact that Euro scopes have their parent companies over here and proably have a stipulation that their products cant be imported into the EU from their cheaper manufacturing plants in the USA.
    Proably violating some US/EU trade agreements or the like:rolleyes:.

Slightly off topic, and not going to be off much relevance to me unless my scope gets stopped (although if I knew then what I know now, I probably would have bought elsewhere). Im sure it would be helpful if we put together a list of places people can source scopes from.

I'll start with the few I know from researching for my own scope.

www.ebay.ca
    www.ebay.co.uk

www.eurooptic.com
    www.opticswarehouse.co.uk (redirects to www.scopesdirect.co.uk)
    www.deben.com
    www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk
    www.best4optics.co.uk
    www.rmacleod.co.uk/optical.htm (I wasnt going to mention street corner RFD's but this guy has a huge selection and is based in Scotland, his stock list: www.rmacleod.co.uk/NEW%20RIFLESCOPES%20IN%20STOCK.pdf )
    www.grahamsonline.co.uk
    www.glasgowfieldsports.co.uk

Anybody know any more for that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

You could always send it to someone you know stateside,they could then send it to you ,after putting a value and such like on it.
    A scope is a scope while its packaged up ,be it a Swarovski Z6i or a swift.

• Advertisement

US customs is already up on this kind of strawman purchase,and they have no sense of humour about it either.I doubt your friends would be very happy to call you a friend after getting a no knock warrent visit by the Fed Goons at 0400 in the AM.:eek:

Advertisement