Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scopes tax

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

optics warehouse wont ship to irelend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    US customs is already up on this kind of strawman purchase,and they have no sense of humour about it either.I doubt your friends would be very happy to call you a friend after getting a no knock warrent visit by the Fed Goons at 0400 in the AM.:eek:

As long as i had me scope Grizzly ,it wouldn't be too bad:p:p:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Brand new out of the USA 2 weeks ago from ebay a Swarovski Z3 3x12-50 i paid 780 euro now thats a deal, i bought all my scopes bar one in the USA

burris black diamond tac plex (no tax)
    Meopta airtimis or something like it #4 plex (caught for tax but still cheaper)
    Zeiss conquest z plex(no tax)
    Swarovski z3 #4plex(no tax)

all bought in the usa tru Ebay and all a great deal cheaper, bought a Nightforce up north vat free using vat number....
    Only tip i can give is talk to the seller before you buy anything on fleeBay and knock a deal out with him before you buy anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Brand new out of the USA 2 weeks ago from ebay a Swarovski Z3 3x12-50 i paid 780 euro now thats a deal, i bought all my scopes bar one in the USA

burris black diamond tac plex (no tax)
    Meopta airtimis or something like it #4 plex (caught for tax but still cheaper)
    Zeiss conquest z plex(no tax)
    Swarovski z3 #4plex(no tax)

all bought in the usa tru Ebay and all a great deal cheaper, bought a Nightforce up north vat free using vat number....
    Only tip i can give is talk to the seller before you buy anything on fleeBay and knock a deal out with him before you buy anything.

My point exactly Tackleberry,

Cabelas are doing the Z3 4-12x50 plex with Ballistic Turret for $1050,thats about 750 odd yoyos:D.

Theres a few guys on here with paranoia and think that big brother is constantly watching them:rolleyes:.

Its all very simple if you go about it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Until you or the people in the US get caught that is.Then it is a very different story..:rolleyes:
    A ten thousand dollar fine and loss possibly of freedom seems abit much to me to save a few hundred euros.

From the US Immigrationand Customs enforcement websites.
    [ emphasis mine]
    July 21, 2011
    Scranton, PA
    Russian national sentenced on export smuggling charges
    Conspired to smuggle military equipment abroad

SCRANTON, Pa. - A Russian national was sentenced Thursday for his role in a conspiracy to smuggle military equipment, including rifle scopes, magazines for firearms, face shields and other material out of the United States, in violation of the Arms Export Control Act.
    Sergey Korznikov, 42, formerly of Moscow, Russia, was sentenced to six months in prison following an investigation by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI). He pleaded guilty to the charge in December 2010.
    Korznikov and co-conspirator Mark Komoroski were charged with conspiring to smuggle military equipment from the United States to Russia to be resold to unknown individuals. Komoroski was sentenced in July 2010 to 32 months in prison and ordered to pay a $10,000 fine. He must also serve two years of supervised release.
    "Today's sentencing again demonstrates HSI's commitment to stop the illegal movement of military technology out of the United States," said John P. Kelleghan, special agent in charge of the ICE HSI Philadelphia office. "Our nation's military technology has only one legitimate user - the thousands of men and women who protect our country at home and abroad."
    The Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigations Unit; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; U.S. Postal Inspection Service; Department of Commerce; Defense Criminal Investigative Service and Pennsylvania State Police also assisted in the investigation.

From the US Dept of Justice website.

Firearms Components to the United Kingdom
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]– On Feb. 8, 2011, a grand jury in the Middle District of Tennessee returned an indictment charging five individuals and a Nashville, Tenn., arms manufacturer with conspiracy to violate the Arms Export Control Act and other offenses in connection with the illegal export and import of firearms and firearms components. The indictment charged Guy Savage, of the United Kingdom, Sabre Defence Industries, LLC, a Nashville-based arms manufacturing company owned by Savage, as well as four officers of Sabre: Charles Shearon, Elmer Hill, Michael Curlett, and Arnold See, Jr. The indictment alleges that the defendants conspired to cause firearm components on the U.S. Munitions List to be exported from the United States without first obtaining authorization from the Department of State, by falsifying shipping records, concealing components in false bottoms of shipping cartons, and mislabeling and undervaluing shipments of firearm components. On March 28, 2011, four of the five defendants in the case, Shearon, Hill, Curlett, and See, pleaded guilty to charges in the case. The investigation was conducted by the ATF and ICE.

[Amazing that they did this as Sabre Defence had a multi million US DOD contract....Greed!]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Illegal Exports of Military Night Vision Technology to China, Singapore & U.K[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]. – On April 12, 2011, the Justice Department announced that a government motion to dismiss the remaining deferred criminal charge against ITT Corporation, the leading manufacturer of military night vision equipment for the U.S. Armed Forces, was granted by the court. On March 27, 2007, ITT
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Corporation pleaded guilty in the Western District of Virginia to two criminal counts of violating the Arms Export Control act stemming from its illegal exports of restricted military night vision data to China, Singapore, and the United Kingdom and omission of statements of material fact in required arms exports reports. As part of the plea agreement, ITT Corporation agreed to invest $50 million toward the development of the most advanced night vision systems in the world for the U.S. Armed Forces. The Justice Department agreed to dismiss the remaining criminal charge against ITT Corporation after ITT Corporation implemented an extensive remedial plan overseen by an independent monitor to prevent future Arms Export Control Act violations. ITT Corporation and the Justice Department will continue to work together to utilize resources set aside by the deferred prosecution agreement to further the development and fielding of the most advanced night vision technology. This investigation was conducted by DCIS and ICE

Combat Riflescopes Overseas
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]– On June 25, 2010, Chou-Fu Ho was arrested after being indicted in the Southern District of California on charges of smuggling and illegally exporting military night vision systems to various locations overseas without the required State Department licenses. According to the indictment Ho illegally exported to Hong Kong and Japan combat riflescopes listed on the U.S. Munitions List without obtaining the required export licenses. Ho also allegedly attempted to illegally export combat riflescopes to Ireland, Austria and the United Arab Emirates. The investigation was conducted by ICE and DCIS.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Rifle Scopes to Russia [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]– On Sept. 11, 2008, a grand jury in the Middle District of Pennsylvania indicted Boris Gavrilov, D&B Compas Ltd, and Kiflet Arm on charges of illegally exporting military-grade and dual-use rifle scopes to Russia without the required U.S. government licenses. Gavrilov is believed to be a resident of Israel. D&B Compas is located in Israel, while Kiflet Arm is located in Humboldt, Texas. Extradition proceedings for Gavrilov have commenced. The investigation was conducted by ICE and BIS.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]Big brother IS watching all right!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: as said before these people have absolutely no sense of humour about this sort of carry on over there anymore.
    Dont say ye wernt warned!:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Until you or the people in the US get caught that is.Then it is a very different story..:rolleyes:
    A ten thousand dollar fine and loss possibly of freedom seems abit much to me to save a few hundred euros.

From the US Immigrationand Customs enforcement websites.
    [ emphasis mine]
    July 21, 2011
    Scranton, PA
    Russian national sentenced on export smuggling charges
    Conspired to smuggle military equipment abroad

SCRANTON, Pa. - A Russian national was sentenced Thursday for his role in a conspiracy to smuggle military equipment, including rifle scopes, magazines for firearms, face shields and other material out of the United States, in violation of the Arms Export Control Act.
    Sergey Korznikov, 42, formerly of Moscow, Russia, was sentenced to six months in prison following an investigation by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI). He pleaded guilty to the charge in December 2010.
    Korznikov and co-conspirator Mark Komoroski were charged with conspiring to smuggle military equipment from the United States to Russia to be resold to unknown individuals. Komoroski was sentenced in July 2010 to 32 months in prison and ordered to pay a $10,000 fine. He must also serve two years of supervised release.
    "Today's sentencing again demonstrates HSI's commitment to stop the illegal movement of military technology out of the United States," said John P. Kelleghan, special agent in charge of the ICE HSI Philadelphia office. "Our nation's military technology has only one legitimate user - the thousands of men and women who protect our country at home and abroad."
    The Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigations Unit; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; U.S. Postal Inspection Service; Department of Commerce; Defense Criminal Investigative Service and Pennsylvania State Police also assisted in the investigation.

From the US Dept of Justice website.

Firearms Components to the United Kingdom
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]– On Feb. 8, 2011, a grand jury in the Middle District of Tennessee returned an indictment charging five individuals and a Nashville, Tenn., arms manufacturer with conspiracy to violate the Arms Export Control Act and other offenses in connection with the illegal export and import of firearms and firearms components. The indictment charged Guy Savage, of the United Kingdom, Sabre Defence Industries, LLC, a Nashville-based arms manufacturing company owned by Savage, as well as four officers of Sabre: Charles Shearon, Elmer Hill, Michael Curlett, and Arnold See, Jr. The indictment alleges that the defendants conspired to cause firearm components on the U.S. Munitions List to be exported from the United States without first obtaining authorization from the Department of State, by falsifying shipping records, concealing components in false bottoms of shipping cartons, and mislabeling and undervaluing shipments of firearm components. On March 28, 2011, four of the five defendants in the case, Shearon, Hill, Curlett, and See, pleaded guilty to charges in the case. The investigation was conducted by the ATF and ICE.

[Amazing that they did this as Sabre Defence had a multi million US DOD contract....Greed!]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Illegal Exports of Military Night Vision Technology to China, Singapore & U.K[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]. – On April 12, 2011, the Justice Department announced that a government motion to dismiss the remaining deferred criminal charge against ITT Corporation, the leading manufacturer of military night vision equipment for the U.S. Armed Forces, was granted by the court. On March 27, 2007, ITT
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Corporation pleaded guilty in the Western District of Virginia to two criminal counts of violating the Arms Export Control act stemming from its illegal exports of restricted military night vision data to China, Singapore, and the United Kingdom and omission of statements of material fact in required arms exports reports. As part of the plea agreement, ITT Corporation agreed to invest $50 million toward the development of the most advanced night vision systems in the world for the U.S. Armed Forces. The Justice Department agreed to dismiss the remaining criminal charge against ITT Corporation after ITT Corporation implemented an extensive remedial plan overseen by an independent monitor to prevent future Arms Export Control Act violations. ITT Corporation and the Justice Department will continue to work together to utilize resources set aside by the deferred prosecution agreement to further the development and fielding of the most advanced night vision technology. This investigation was conducted by DCIS and ICE

Combat Riflescopes Overseas
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]– On June 25, 2010, Chou-Fu Ho was arrested after being indicted in the Southern District of California on charges of smuggling and illegally exporting military night vision systems to various locations overseas without the required State Department licenses. According to the indictment Ho illegally exported to Hong Kong and Japan combat riflescopes listed on the U.S. Munitions List without obtaining the required export licenses. Ho also allegedly attempted to illegally export combat riflescopes to Ireland, Austria and the United Arab Emirates. The investigation was conducted by ICE and DCIS.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Rifle Scopes to Russia [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]– On Sept. 11, 2008, a grand jury in the Middle District of Pennsylvania indicted Boris Gavrilov, D&B Compas Ltd, and Kiflet Arm on charges of illegally exporting military-grade and dual-use rifle scopes to Russia without the required U.S. government licenses. Gavrilov is believed to be a resident of Israel. D&B Compas is located in Israel, while Kiflet Arm is located in Humboldt, Texas. Extradition proceedings for Gavrilov have commenced. The investigation was conducted by ICE and BIS.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]Big brother IS watching all right!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: as said before these people have absolutely no sense of humour about this sort of carry on over there anymore.
    Dont say ye wernt warned!:eek:

Na' still would not be put off if i needed another scope or shooting gear, reckon its the seller taking the risk.
    not paying tax in Ireland is ilegal but avoiding paying tax is not ilegal and all my scopes have been marked a value and yet they have not taxed me, i have always known the risk and have had the money there to cover the tax if needed i reckon the chance of making a great saving is worth the risk, but its not even a risk you'll just end up saving notting.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Theres a few guys on here with paranoia and think that big brother is constantly watching them:rolleyes:.

Its all very simple if you go about it right.

I wouldnt call it Paranoia,its better safe then sorry:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............ not paying tax in Ireland is ilegal but avoiding paying tax is not illegal ................

Yes it is.

There is a difference between avoiding paying tax and not getting hit with a tax bill. One is a purposeful act by a person to avoid it, the other is an oversight on the behalf of the relevant body to apply the tax. So if you order something and do everything within your ability to avoid having to pay taxes (whatever those methods are) then thats illegal. If you order something and it comes via normal shipping methods, but is not stopped and you do not get a tax bill then thats simply icing on the cake and no wrong doing on your behalf.

Also there is a rule for the shooting forum ( Rule#8 ) which specifically deals with this issue. It states "avoidance of paying taxes".

With regards to the claim that all this stems from paranoia by some users well i don't believe that for a moment. This is not some made up "what ifs" to scare people. I don't work for customs so its no skin off my nose whether tax is paid or not. What i am going on is the stories both here and told to me in person of people complaining that items they have ordered are either not getting through or they are getting hit with custom/tax bills where they never got them before.

Its a notice of the possibilities rather than random scaremongering.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Ezridax wrote: »

Yes it is.

No it is not! You are wrong, because you are using the wrong words.

Tack is right; there is nothing illegal with avoiding taxes, and people pay accountants large sums to help them do it all the time. Tax evasion is illegal.

That said, most of us have had stuff shipped from the US and have smiled when it got through without a fee. Personally I expect to have it stopped and factor-in that amount when comparing prices.

Grizz is quite right about the jackboot at the door, it is not worth the risk to put a family member in that position. While his examples might be a bit extreme (they relate mainly to ‘Commie’ countries, night vision, etc., ) I’ve had a couple of experiences with the powers that be at US airports on simple INS matters that once left me held in custody overnight until a DC contact got me out and on the second occasion left me without my passport for a month and an appearance in court Downtown to get it back. You do not mess with those guys, many might be dumb gits earning not much more than the minimum wage but they have the power to screw you and most will do and relish it, particularly if you are appear to be earning more than them.
    Rs
    P.

Tack is right; there is nothing illegal with avoiding taxes, and people pay accountants large sums to help them do it all the time. Tax evasion is illegal.

My apologies to Tackleberry, and thanks to pedroeibar for clarifying that for me. I was confusing tax evasion and tax avoision as the same thing when in fact they are not .

Again my apologies. :o
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

No issues Ezri, it is actually a very fine line between the two. That's why it costs soooo much to get the advice to stay on the right side!;)
    Rs
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not to mind the "smart ones" are college trained idiots:eek:
    [No joke!! ],but are well traind Appartchicks and are looking at climbing the Fed Gov goon career ladder ASAP.So any "busts" they make looks good for promotion and all the better if you can help them up the line,so future idiocy can be ensured.Things like people claiming airsofts can be converted to full auto m16s,let arms deals go off without a hitch to mexican drug lords so US border patrol agents can be shot,and God alone knows what else.Think if they can nail some well meaning innocent friend or family of yours for "arms exporting" that they wont??:(:rolleyes:

@Pbar.
    Dunno if Ireland is a commie country,but we are getting there...the UK more than likely:D,and rather doubtful about Israel or Austria.
    Just shows though even if these countries are "allied" to the US[Israel and the UK] they dont take prisioners there either.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

True... but the actual wording is "avoidance of taxes and duties" and refers to the VAT and import duties when shipping in goods from abroad; not income taxes and the like.
    It's in there because people were giving advice on what carriers to use and what to write on packages to avoid those taxes and duties, which was strictly illegal...
    ...so it's kindof ironic to be discussing this point after some of the posts in this thread!
    Still, it's a good point and we'll make it clearer in the charter for the next time.

My apologies to Tackleberry, and thanks to pedroeibar for clarifying that for me. I was confusing tax evasion and tax avoision as the same thing when in fact they are not .

No prop the other half is a accountant

Sparks wrote: »
    True... but the actual wording is "avoidance of taxes and duties" and refers to the VAT and import duties when shipping in goods from abroad; not income taxes and the like.
    It's in there because people were giving advice on what carriers to use and what to write on packages to avoid those taxes and duties, which was strictly illegal...
    ...so it's kindof ironic to be discussing this point after some of the posts in this thread!
    Still, it's a good point and we'll make it clearer in the charter for the next time.

I agree Sparks that it is a bit abstruse, particularly when some of the posts that went before were bordering on ‘evasion’ but the choice of words IS important. (Ezri's link to Rule 8 does not work BTW) Avoidance is legitimate – e.g. wrong/daft as it may seem, buying a share in the M.Y. Christina Onassis and off-setting part of the running costs (i.e. your summer holidays and more) against your tax liability is OK. Most of us pay into a pension the result which has tax avoidance benefits. I agree that telling people how to get around paying duty & VAT on bringing stuff into Ireland is evasion, and criminal.

What Grizz highlighted was the most important, that the US legal issue surrounding this (mail fraud) is very, very serious. Any US RFD or optics seller that would be worth dealing with would run a mile from anything near mail fraud because the consequences are so heavy. Asking a US based friend or family member to help in ‘bending’ values/invoices/descriptions is the act of a S#1t because the results are potentially so very harmful to the US-based individual.

My view is if you want something from the US collect it yourself when over there (overnight it to your hotel). Prepare to lose it on departing if your paperwork is not in order. On arrival in Ireland do not make a false declaration to C & E. If you are not in the US, have it shipped as purchased; if you get off the tax good luck to you, but be prepared to pay the Duty & VAT. Do not ask a friend/relative to ship to you, they could (probably would) end up in a heap of trouble.
    Simple.:)
    P.

(Ezri's link to Rule 8 does not work BTW)

Fixed that above now. Here it is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I bought a good few scopes from www.theopticzone.com in the US.
    When I place my order they apply for the export licence which usually takes about 4 weeks. When they get the licence they post my scope and all I have to worry about is how much customs will charge me.
    The export licence lasts for 2 years so if I want another scope the same in a few months time they can send it right away. The scope has to be the exact same though or you will need another export licence.
    They wont under value a parcel as they are liable to a 10000 dollar fine if found out.

Advertisement