Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salute! 2011 - Now Free Entry!

• 05-08-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just letting you know about this year's show for anyone who is interested:
    saluteflyer.jpg

Salute! 2011, brought to you by the newly formed Association of Irish Military Enthusiasts (A.I.M.E), will this year be held in the exciting grounds of Malahide Castle.

Malahide's Historic castle set in 279 acres of parkland. Includes tours, history, model railway exibition, banquets, restaurant, ghosts and from this August 27th and 28th the new home for the Salute! Military Vehicle and Reenactment Spectacular.

See all your favourite vehicles, displays and re-enactments from previous Salute! shows and more, including the famous Chieftain Tank as used in James Bond - Goldeneye.

A great day out for all the Family, big kids and little alike. Looking forward to seeing you there.

For more information on how to be part of the show please contact us here or on facebook http://www.salute.ie/facebook/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Pedantic Pat here to say " Was it not a T-55 used in Goldeneye?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

SIRREX wrote: »

It was a chieftan dressed up to look like a T55.
    http://youtu.be/oMX7_z4ixFQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Fair enough! It probably would have been cheaper to buy a real T-55:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Fair enough! It probably would have been cheaper to buy a real T-55:D

Yup, it's a chieftain dressed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Correct.... It was a T55 that was used... However they changed the original Russian steel tracks with Chieftain tracks to prevent damage to the roads as the Chieftain ones have rubber pads ....

http://www.tanks4hire.co.uk/T55armouredmilitarytank.html

• Advertisement

westdub wrote: »
    Correct.... It was a T55 that was used... However they changed the original Russian steel tracks with Chieftain tracks to prevent damage to the roads as the Chieftain ones have rubber pads ....

http://www.tanks4hire.co.uk/T55armouredmilitarytank.html

You know, looking at the clip again, its clearly a T55.(unless they removed an entire set of wheels from the Chieftan.
    Perhaps the person claiming the tank was used in the movie is telling porky pies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

You know, looking at the clip again, its clearly a T55.(unless they removed an entire set of wheels from the Chieftan.
    Perhaps the person claiming the tank was used in the movie is telling porky pies?

In this book, the author says it was a T54 mocked up with fake ERA on loan from the East of England Military Museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Chieftan made to look like a T72...it has six wheels with a spacing/gap every 2nd wheel (approx 1 min into video)

Goldeneye footage of a T54/55 which has 5 wheels, note the distictive gap between the first and second wheels on the tank

Also in both videos compare the size of the turret & the position of the fume extractor on the barrel.

If thats the same tank then they went to an awful lot of trouble to change it for Goldeneye. In fact they completely changed its shape.

Who knew the AFV Recognition Course would come in handy one day.

The T55 was indeed used in the main chase sequence, along with a converted scorpion and a custom built vehicle with a fibre glass body (so im told)

There were 4 converted chieftains which can be seen when bond jumps through the library window into the courtyard. This is one of those :)

Chieftan made to look like a T72...it has six wheels with a spacing/gap every 2nd wheel (approx 1 min into video)

Goldeneye footage of a T54/55 which has 5 wheels, note the distictive gap between the first and second wheels on the tank

Also in both videos compare the size of the turret & the position of the fume extractor on the barrel.

If thats the same tank then they went to an awful lot of trouble to change it for Goldeneye. In fact they completely changed its shape.

Who knew the AFV Recognition Course would come in handy one day.

Hi All,

We're delighted to announce revised ticket prices for this year's Salute! show in Malahide Castle.

Adults: €7
    Under 12s: €4
    Students (with valid Student I.D. Card): €5
    Family: €15
    Parking: Free

Looking forward to seeing you there.

• Advertisement

We are incredibly pleased to announce that entry to this year's Salute! show will be FREE to all who wish to attend. Yes, that's right, FREE, nada, zilch....

Adult: FREE
    Child: FREE
    Parking: FREE
    Student: FREE
    OAP: FREE
    Unemployed: FREE
    Aliens from the nearest inhabitable planet: €10...... Just kidding! FREE!

AIME would greatly appreciate any voluntary donations at the gate which will go towards future Salute! events and the future preservation and restoration of historical artifacts and vehicles.

Well done to all from AIME, The Great War Society and IMRG who were on TV3's Ireland AM this morning promoting the show. They looked great.

Off to begin set up now, hope to see some of you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is this where the Scorpion was heading to this morning?

Why was it on the back of a UK registered lorry? Do the PDF outsource logistics? I'm sure Joe Duffy will be inundated with calls later about a British invasion!

Why was it on the back of a UK registered lorry? Do the PDF outsource logistics? I'm sure Joe Duffy will be inundated with calls later about a British invasion!

Was it an Irish Army Scorp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Was it an Irish Army Scorp?

I presume it was, unless it was a collectors one. To be honest, I didn't get a look at it, I just presumed a small tank on the M50 would be an Irish army scorpion.

As my wife would say, it was green if that helps!

Not coming to us as far as I know, we've a fox, could it have been that? The turret is very similar/identical?

Although it wouldn't have been on a lowloader on it's own.

I presume it was, unless it was a collectors one. To be honest, I didn't get a look at it, I just presumed a small tank on the M50 would be an Irish army scorpion.

As my wife would say, it was green if that helps!

I believe our scorps are painted camoflage nowdays.

Hi all,

Salute! went very well this weekend, the show was a great success. Thank you to all those who made it out. There are a few pictures over on our facebook page if anyone is interested.

Advertisement