Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA: When can i start work?

Options
  • 05-08-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been approved for the BTEA. I'll be 10 months on Social Welfare by the time my course starts in Sept, which leaves me above the 9month time rule for the BTEA. My course starts on Sept 5th, but i may have work sorted the week before.

I intend on telling my Social Welfare Office; does anyone know whether or not this will be okay with them or should i just wait to start work until the course starts?

Any help would be great!

Maria

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

When were you approved? I applied two weeks ago and im still waiting.

How many hours a week can you work while also getting the BTEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

I didn't realize you would work and still get the BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

There is no limit on the amount of hours you can work while receiving btea. You will still receive the full amount, €188 as it stands now (after budget???)
    However while you have already been approved for btea you will not actually be in receipt of it until your college term begins. The social will most likely look for a letter from the college to confirm this date. they will then make payments directly into your bank account.
    I presume you are currently getting job seekers allowance or benefit which do not allow you to work.
    **** system I know. My advice would be to go into social now and tell them you are looking for work, ask them if you do find some work in the next month is there any way you could be entitled to keep on JA or JB and most importantly not make yourself ineligible for btea. If you are long term unemployed there may be some back to work scheme.
    Alternatively delay starting work until after you get your btea.
    Goodluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mariok

Thanks very much!

What i'm going to do is tell my employer is that i can work 3 days a week before the course starts, and will be available to work any of my free hours when the course (and BTEA) starts. This will keep me in receipt of a minimum Job Seekers Allowance payment which should not effect my BTEA requirements.

Advertisement