Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting a Cheque these days and asking for cash Instead?

Options
  • 05-08-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I do a small amount of work for random people and i know the frequency of bounced cheques is at an all time high.
    Is there a polite way of telling someone you cant accept a cheque? Or is there a way to accept a cheque and tell it wont bounce (ie ringing the bank/ cheque guaruntee card)? Have a chap wanting to give me a cheque for a job done. he lives 4 hours drive away and ill probably never see him again. Am i mad to accept a cheque from strangers these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

I don't think there is a polite way of saying it, but I don't think telling someone that you don't accept cheques is impolite, it's just a statement of fact.

They can give you cash, a bank draft, postal order or a transfer directly to your bank account. There are many was to pay you without using a cheque!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Cash is the easiest option. Suppose depends on amount. Bank draft also.

Chq garuantee card is being phased out.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's no way to check if the cheque is good until you lodge it or try to cash it in the bank. If I were you I'd explain at the outset that you won't accept a cheque, you'll only take cash or a draft. I don't think that's unreasonable these days and it's certainly not rude. If he's insisting that you're paid by cheque and you don't want to walk away from the job, then tell him that you need to be paid upfront and will not be completing the work until the cheque has cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Sorry but the days of taking a chq from anyone that you're not 100% sure about are well gone.

Explain at the outset that you won't accept chq so there is no confusion later on.

No bank will talk to "joe public" about another person's account etc and chq Guarantee will only cover chq up to €130

Advertisement