Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit Question

Options
  • 05-08-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two bank accounts, from different institutions, one of which i've decided to stop using anymore. The one i want to stop using had one direct debit coming out of it to pay my o2 broadband, which comes out roughly at the start of each month.

So i rang o2 at the end of june to pay july's payment by laser, cancel the direct debit, & set up a new one with my other account to start this month. Sorted it all out thought everything was grand.

Sure enough the DD comes out of the old account this month much to my annoyance. I had left it with a zero balance. So now i've been penalised 3.50 for going overdrawn.

Have i a case to make to the bank or o2 at all with this or i should i just pay it & move on? I know its a small amount but it grates me on principle. o2 claim they have no record of the bank a/c details being changed but can see that i paid by laser at the end of june. I told them that on the same call i changed the details but they say they've no record of that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Hi

The issue lies with o2 IMO. If you changed the bank details over the phone, then they should have applied to the new acc. If it was too close to the date of payment for them to change the account, they should have told you.

Request a supervisor or team leader to listen to the call recording. Most call centres have the ability to do this.

Hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

One lesson you have learned though is that if you want to cancel a direct debit, always contact your bank and cancel it yourself too. It can be hard to get money back from people/companies after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

matt70iu wrote: »
    Hi

The issue lies with o2 IMO. If you changed the bank details over the phone, then they should have applied to the new acc. If it was too close to the date of payment for them to change the account, they should have told you.

Request a supervisor or team leader to listen to the call recording. Most call centres have the ability to do this.

Hope you get it sorted.

See thats why i paid them with laser for july, & the new details were for august, giving them a little over a month to come into effect.
    f9710145 wrote: »
    One lesson you have learned though is that if you want to cancel a direct debit, always contact your bank and cancel it yourself too. It can be hard to get money back from people/companies after the event.

Thats good to know for again.

I'm not sure its worth the hassle of pursuing either o2 or the bank about the 3.50. I'm sure they'll each have something to say putting it back on me. Feck it. The last time i went overdrawn because of laser transactions that hadnt shown up on my account & got stung 3.50, i said its not my fault your system can't keep up, & the account can sit at -3.50 til the end of time for all i care, the atm said id €40, i took out €40, they said id end up with a poor credit rating. :rolleyes: There's no arguing!

Lesson learnt i suppose.

(though i am tempted to see if there is a recording of my orginal call where i changed the details..........)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

You cancelled the end of June to stop the payment for the start of July. It seems to be a simple error. There was not enough time to cancel the dd.

O2 should refund you the bank charge and the over payment. Contact your bank and troll them. They can send the payment back too.

Advertisement